Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 15mm to 12mm thru axle conversion?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 10:19 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 740 Posts

My front wheel won't fit the new fork, wheel is only 2 years old and is a Shimano 8000 series XT non-boost front hub with 15mm thru axle I built for my gravel bike. The old bike just let me use a shim to fit but it was clearly designed to use 15mm axles. The new fork is clearly not designed to fit 15mm as the axle won't fit in the drop out at all.
I haven't heard of anything but is there a 12mm thru-axle that will work or is the hub shell the same as say an ultegra and I could source a 12mm ultegra axle and cones and make this work?

I'd rather not rebuild the wheel with a road hub though I might if that's the solution, just hate to waste the time and money if there's an easier solution.
Old 02-04-21, 03:36 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
I'll preface this by saying that 12mm road front thru axles are one of the most stupid things I've ever seen in the cycling industry. This coming from someone who's slowly shifting all my bikes to thru axles. 15mm should have been enough. There really isn't any sort of weight advantage in using the small 12mm thru axle and on top of that, durable 12mm front hubs are extremely difficult to find. The only options really are using hubs which have swappable end cones. Mainly these tend to be Hope or Novatec hubs. Actual 12mm front hubs tend to be road specific and thus light, not as well sealed and use really small bearings, which isn't great for a front hub. Smaller hub flanges and all that.

But it depends which hub it actually is. If it's a HB-M8010 you're out of luck. But if it is in fact a HB-M8110 you might have a shot. Because both the 15x100mm HB-M8110 and the 12x100mm HB-R7070 or the HB-RS470 use the same amount of 5/32 bearings. 15 balls on the left and 17 balls on the right.
This in turn means that to fit the same amount of bearings the cups and cones kinda have to be the same size.
You likely won't be able to make the seals work great so in the end you might end up with a largely unsealed hub.

Check my research before you buy anything. And it bears reminding that mixing and matching axles in Shimano hubs probably isn't a great idea.

Last edited by elcruxio; 02-04-21 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 06:03 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 478 Posts
I helped my friend who was in this same situation. I ended up turning down his end caps on a lathe, and he used a 12mm to 15mm sleeve he bought online. I can't remember what the hub brand was though.
Old 02-04-21, 08:07 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I'll preface this by saying that 12mm road front thru axles are one of the most stupid things I've ever seen in the cycling industry. This coming from someone who's slowly shifting all my bikes to thru axles. 15mm should have been enough. There really isn't any sort of weight advantage in using the small 12mm thru axle and on top of that, durable 12mm front hubs are extremely difficult to find. The only options really are using hubs which have swappable end cones. Mainly these tend to be Hope or Novatec hubs. Actual 12mm front hubs tend to be road specific and thus light, not as well sealed and use really small bearings, which isn't great for a front hub. Smaller hub flanges and all that.

But it depends which hub it actually is. If it's a HB-M8010 you're out of luck. But if it is in fact a HB-M8110 you might have a shot. Because both the 15x100mm HB-M8110 and the 12x100mm HB-R7070 or the HB-RS470 use the same amount of 5/32 bearings. 15 balls on the left and 17 balls on the right.
This in turn means that to fit the same amount of bearings the cups and cones kinda have to be the same size.
You likely won't be able to make the seals work great so in the end you might end up with a largely unsealed hub.

Check my research before you buy anything. And it bears reminding that mixing and matching axles in Shimano hubs probably isn't a great idea.
That's the info I was hoping/not hoping for. It is an m8010, I'd been hoping the 7070 would share parts since a shared hubshell would seem reasonable for 105/slx and XT/Ultegra but so be it.
It seems there has been a real push to separate road and MTB components more as the gravel market has surged which is really annoying. I liked when MTB rear derailleurs worked with road shifters and there's no reason they shouldn't be able to other then Sram and Shimano want to keep things more specialized and annoying and hubs are only one more example.

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I helped my friend who was in this same situation. I ended up turning down his end caps on a lathe, and he used a 12mm to 15mm sleeve he bought online. I can't remember what the hub brand was though.
Looks like this is the option, I'd been looking at the rear hub for some reason and it couldn't be turned but the front does actually have aluminum ends that will be able to be turned down.
Old 02-05-21, 12:42 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Adapters exist, but I have no personal experience using one.

https://bikerumor.com/2018/10/31/rev...oying-problem/
Old 02-05-21, 01:19 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,161 Times in 2,784 Posts
I'll preface this by saying that 12mm road front thru axles are one of the most stupid things I've ever seen in the cycling industry. This coming from someone who's slowly shifting all my bikes to thru axles. 15mm should have been enough.
The rear axles are all 12mm! I am not saying that we needed a new front axle or anything or totally disagreeing but if we are saying 12mm is bad then why not at the rear? I would love to see everything be the same it would make things easier for sure but I think at least for a while we will have 4 main front axles 12 and 15, boost and not. (yes I know 20mm and 20mm boost and all that weirdo stuff but that is mostly on DH)

Honestly yes we would all love to have that one single standard to make everything easier and yada yada but we all want that and it is all different. Let's just hope we can stay with just those 4 at the front and be ok!
Old 02-05-21, 02:24 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The rear axles are all 12mm! I am not saying that we needed a new front axle or anything or totally disagreeing but if we are saying 12mm is bad then why not at the rear? I would love to see everything be the same it would make things easier for sure but I think at least for a while we will have 4 main front axles 12 and 15, boost and not. (yes I know 20mm and 20mm boost and all that weirdo stuff but that is mostly on DH)

Honestly yes we would all love to have that one single standard to make everything easier and yada yada but we all want that and it is all different. Let's just hope we can stay with just those 4 at the front and be ok!
I suppose the MTB front end needs to be a bit larger because of suspension forks. The rear triangle doesn't flex all that much so there's less benefit of a beefy axle there.

The reason why I'm fuming about the 12mm road front axle is because Surly in their infinite wisdom decided to put a 12mm front axle on their new Disc Trucker, which is a touring bike. Ie. it would be nice if the front hub was beefy, well sealed and used larger bearings.
Now of course usually it would be possible to just get a hub with swappable end caps and call it a day, but currently due to Covid and all that supply is non existent. So no 36h Hope Pro 4 front hub for me. Luckily I managed to find a Novatec XD641 which has swappable end caps AND uses massive 6904 bearings. Unfortunately it's only 32h and the flanges are pretty light construction. Buuut I've never seen or heard of a broken front hub on a touring bike so fingers crossed
Old 02-05-21, 10:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The reason why I'm fuming about the 12mm road front axle is because Surly in their infinite wisdom decided to put a 12mm front axle on their new Disc Trucker, which is a touring bike. Ie. it would be nice if the front hub was beefy, well sealed and used larger bearings.
Surly also uses 12mm thru axles on their Midnight Special gravel/road bikes. I just built one up and the best reasonably priced wheel set I found was Shimano's GRX WH-RX570. These take 12mm thru-axles, centerlock rotor mounts and are wide enough to fit 700-42 tires. They have cup-and-cone hub bearings taking 14x 5/32" balls on each side in front and 16x5/32" balls drive side and 13x3/16" balls nds. That should be plenty durable and they are well sealed.

I also think 12mm thru axles are plenty big for road, touring and gravel use. After all we got away with 9mm front axles for many decades. The 15mm thru axle may be a benefit to stiffen up a suspension fork but is unneeded for road forks.
Old 02-05-21, 11:42 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by HillRider
Surly also uses 12mm thru axles on their Midnight Special gravel/road bikes. I just built one up and the best reasonably priced wheel set I found was Shimano's GRX WH-RX570. These take 12mm thru-axles, centerlock rotor mounts and are wide enough to fit 700-42 tires. They have cup-and-cone hub bearings taking 14x 5/32" balls on each side in front and 16x5/32" balls drive side and 13x3/16" balls nds. That should be plenty durable and they are well sealed.

I also think 12mm thru axles are plenty big for road, touring and gravel use. After all we got away with 9mm front axles for many decades. The 15mm thru axle may be a benefit to stiffen up a suspension fork but is unneeded for road forks.
5/32" balls are absolutely tiny. Perhaps those are fine for road use but for touring I don't think they're nearly enough. Front may not get a high constant load but when braking the front hub will carry the complete weight of the bicycle+rider+gear. Combine that with rough roads and I'm guessing the 5/32 bearings start to near their static load ratings.

The novatec hub I bought has 6904 cartridge bearings inside. Those contain balls which are larger than 1/4" so plenty durable.

It's also not really about the axle size or what "suffices". 9mm was fine (well, quick release works, just not as well as thru axle). It's about the silliness of having several different incompatible axle diameters when one or at the most two would be more than enough. 20mm for downhill and 15mm for everything else.
Old 02-05-21, 12:04 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
5/32" balls are absolutely tiny. Perhaps those are fine for road use but for touring I don't think they're nearly enough. Front may not get a high constant load but when braking the front hub will carry the complete weight of the bicycle+rider+gear. Combine that with rough roads and I'm guessing the 5/32 bearings start to near their static load ratings.
First 5/32" balls aren't that tiny, they are 83% the diameter of the more common 3/16" balls in most front hubs, and Shimano uses significantly more of them per race. Campy has used 5/32" balls in both their front and rear hubs for many years and their durability is legendary.

I agree that there are two many axle "standards" but just settling on 15mm wouldn't really simplify anything enough to matter. There are a legion of axle lengths, thread pitches, thread lengths and clamping methods and until those are standardize the confusion and supply issues will continue. Look at the "Robert Axle Project" web site to see how chaotic the situation really is. They make about 300 different thru axle configurations and the majority differ in threading pitch, threading length and overall length.
Old 02-05-21, 12:32 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 517 Posts
Novatec 791 and 792 are pretty dang light and have swappable caps. No tools required. I have a front, kinda wish it was the set.

I have a Stan's 3.30RD rear hub and while I was able to swap it from QR to TA, I needed a new axle, caps, and to pull the bearings and press them back in. Not sure if all that is needed for the front hubs.
Old 02-05-21, 09:24 PM
Russ Roth

Now of course usually it would be possible to just get a hub with swappable end caps and call it a day, but currently due to Covid and all that supply is non existent. So no 36h Hope Pro 4 front hub for me. Luckily I managed to find a Novatec XD641 which has swappable end caps AND uses massive 6904 bearings. Unfortunately it's only 32h and the flanges are pretty light construction. Buuut I've never seen or heard of a broken front hub on a touring bike so fingers crossed
That was my view when I built the first gravel touring bike, mtb hubs are sturdier and went with XT which worked well, now I find that what should be the more rugged frame designed to take MTB tires won't take a mtb hub, bad planning there.

Just found out that Chris King has a 12mm classic hub axle which would let me re-purpose an old set of hubs but that axle seems to be as rare as anything.
Old 02-06-21, 01:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,161 Times in 2,784 Posts
I suppose the MTB front end needs to be a bit larger because of suspension forks. The rear triangle doesn't flex all that much so there's less benefit of a beefy axle there.

Yeah a touring bike with thru-axles is a bit odd in some senses but the benefits of thru-axles is quite nice especially with disc brakes and to be fair probably most of the riding that a lot of Surlys will see will be near "civilization" so more chance of bike shops and plus with easy global shipments (in normal non-covid times) having a thru-axle is less of an issue.Yes QRs are certainly the easiest to find still but I don't think TAs are as bad these days.

The Novatec hubs seem to always get decent enough reviews would I choose them on my build, probably not but for stock build as they are doing is probably not terrible. It is pretty doubtful you will have issues with a 36h hub on a disc trucker
Old 05-14-21, 02:33 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
[QUOTE=katsup;21910509]Adapters exist, but I have no personal experience using

I used an adapter to solve this problem when I had to switch to a 15mm front wheel from original 12mm. Works like a charm and no fuss.
Old 05-15-21, 05:35 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
[QUOTE=Pridedog;22059644]
Originally Posted by katsup
Adapters exist, but I have no personal experience using

I used an adapter to solve this problem when I had to switch to a 15mm front wheel from original 12mm. Works like a charm and no fuss.
I was going to say, putting a 15 mm through axle wheel onto a fork threaded for a 12 mm one is the easy path. Just use a $15 adaptor

https://www.amazon.com/Dymoece-Bicyc...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Trying to put a 12 mm wheel on a 15 mm fork is the one that can't be done.
Old 05-15-21, 12:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,784 Times in 2,576 Posts
It sounds like the OP had a fork that was a bit small and a hub that is very close to the max size for the 12mm TA standard. Lots of 15mm hubs will fit in a 12mm fork, then you just need an axle spacer, as linked above. I think some forks are closer to the standard than others.

I'm going to face this problem soon with a dynohub. Hope it works out.

I was pretty annoyed when the 12mm front hub standard was announced. It really does seem pretty pointless. Now they announced road boost. Next will be road 15mm boost, which is going to be incompatible with mtb somehow. I'm hoping companies will ignore road boost, but the possibility that sanity will prevail seems remote.
Old 05-20-21, 08:34 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Pridedog
Trying to put a 12 mm wheel on a 15 mm fork is the one that can't be done.
I beg to differ: https://www.ebay.com/str/jjpellc

Shameless plug for my Ebay store full of kits to do what 'can't be done' :-)
Old 05-20-21, 08:43 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm going to face this problem soon with a dynohub. Hope it works out.
Which hub and fork? I'm nearly certain I can help.
Old 05-20-21, 08:47 AM
joejack951

Originally Posted by unterhausen
It sounds like the OP had a fork that was a bit small and a hub that is very close to the max size for the 12mm TA standard. Lots of 15mm hubs will fit in a 12mm fork, then you just need an axle spacer, as linked above. I think some forks are closer to the standard than others.
12mm hub end caps are almost universally 19mm (I say 'almost' only because I can never be too certain in this industry!). 15mm hub end caps come in a few different flavors, most commonly 19mm and 21mm (but also 25mm). Many 15mm forks intended for road/gravel use are designed around 19mm end caps and thus the hub alignment 'shoulder' only has enough clearance for that size of end cap. A 21mm end cap will interfere by ~1mm.

If you have a 'MTB' 15mm fork, chances are it is designed to clear 21mm diameter end caps, or more. There you only have the minor issue of those shoulder being relatively useless for aligning the hub during installation.
Old 08-12-21, 12:58 PM
msr_78

Bikes: Too many - most used now Litespeed Gravel & Prorace Hauser

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hi, bit late but in case you see this: I have a couple of 15mm hubs that have no 12mm end caps available (Sun Ringle) and I was thinking going the lathe route for at least one set of endcaps - not having a lathe and not wanting to spend a whole bunch on one, I've seen small ones for $50 on amazon - do you, by any chance know if a 200W motor lathe would be enough to shave off what's needed? What type of "knife"/blade did you use?

Many thanks
Old 08-12-21, 01:00 PM
msr_78

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry, directed to GrainBrain

Hi, bit late but in case you see this: I have a couple of 15mm hubs that have no 12mm end caps available (Sun Ringle) and I was thinking going the lathe route for at least one set of endcaps - not having a lathe and not wanting to spend a whole bunch on one, I've seen small ones for $50 on amazon - do you, by any chance know if a 200W motor lathe would be enough to shave off what's needed? What type of "knife"/blade did you use?

Many thanks
Old 08-12-21, 03:44 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by msr_78

Many thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by "200W motor lathe", like one of those small jewelry lathes? I'd think it would be fine. I used a cutting tool with a squared end and just plunged in the length need to fit into the forks dropouts. I can't remember any exact dimensions now. I feel like I needed to turn down the outside diameter something like 1.5mm, at a length of 3mm? Those numbers I just pulled out of thin air.

Have you used a tool like this for turning metal?

Have you used any kind of measurement tools or have access to them?
Old 08-12-21, 05:54 PM
msr_78

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "200W motor lathe", like one of those small jewelry lathes? I'd think it would be fine. I used a cutting tool with a squared end and just plunged in the length need to fit into the forks dropouts. I can't remember any exact dimensions now. I feel like I needed to turn down the outside diameter something like 1.5mm, at a length of 3mm? Those numbers I just pulled out of thin air.

Have you used a tool like this for turning metal?

Have you used any kind of measurement tools or have access to them?
Exactly, that's the kind I mean - they show it as being used to carve small pieces of wood, etc...

Never used a lathe before, but I have used Dremel extensively (and done extensive damage, but live and learn) and I would consider myself handy enough. I'm no mechanical engineer, that's for sure. I was thinking of using cork, or soft wood as stops to secure the end cap on the lathe, open to suggestions.

I measured a set of 15mm end caps and 12mm and I think your numbers are approximately correct, it was 21 vs 19.5, give or take - measured with electronic calipers - the length though was considerably less, about 2mm max I'd say (SunRingle vs Novatec end caps) - would you recommend any other measuring tool?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-21, 07:56 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by msr_78

Many thanks
My lathe is an antique Delta that was meant for wood and metal turning, outside of basic brass and aluminum I wouldn't want to really try turning metal with it but I'm sure it was more cutting edge when it was made 90ish years ago. But I was able to set it between a dead center at the head and a live center at the tail which, with a little bit of pressure, allowed me to shave it down with a fairly sharp wood tool. I didn't need to change length so I grabbed a wrench as wide as what the outside of the spindle needed to be, think it was 17mm but would have to remeasure to state that. Just turned till the wrench just fit over the axle and then used some 2000 grit paper to polish the cut away area. Came out looking good and for the xt left the flats I needed still there for hub bearing adjustment.
Old 08-13-21, 08:06 AM
msr_78

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
My lathe is an antique Delta that was meant for wood and metal turning, outside of basic brass and aluminum I wouldn't want to really try turning metal with it but I'm sure it was more cutting edge when it was made 90ish years ago. But I was able to set it between a dead center at the head and a live center at the tail which, with a little bit of pressure, allowed me to shave it down with a fairly sharp wood tool. I didn't need to change length so I grabbed a wrench as wide as what the outside of the spindle needed to be, think it was 17mm but would have to remeasure to state that. Just turned till the wrench just fit over the axle and then used some 2000 grit paper to polish the cut away area. Came out looking good and for the xt left the flats I needed still there for hub bearing adjustment.
Thanks! I was actually thinking of using some cork or soft wood to wedge the end cap snug as the small lathes I'm looking at don't seem to have the range to clamp either end securely. I think I'm going to give it a go - I'll practice with some wood first not to mess it up too much when it comes to the real thing

If I don't post back then assume I've ended with a 15mm endcap embedded in my forehead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.