Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1994 Bridgestone RB-T

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 10:11 AM
dae91n

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1994 Bridgestone RB-T

Stumbled upon this on CL (Richmond/D.C. area), what do y'all think? I'm still new to purchasing used bikes, so any and all advice from experienced members is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by dae91n; 10-17-21 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling error
Old 10-17-21, 11:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 4,321 Times in 2,381 Posts
The bike is expensive at $600 but Bridgestones command a premium and this is in fine shape. You can find an equivalent quality bike of this age for less but if this bike fits you, the price is likely not too far off the market value. I'd offer $500 and see if there is some room to negotiate in the price if it fits.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.or...393039280.html

As a point of reference, an equivalent quality Japanese bike of that era would be worth considerably less, maybe $300-$400. It's up to you whether you want to pay the premium for a Grant Peterson designed bike. I like his bikes a lot but you do pay extra for them.
Old 10-17-21, 12:04 PM
pcb 

Liked 636 Times in 291 Posts
I am almost 100% +1 on this.

Just keep in mind that though it may not be hard to find an equivalent and clean Japanese bicycle at $300-$400, there are a lot fewer clean touring versions out there. And the seller is offering a clean touring version pretty cleanly built and updated, with wider tires, upright bars, an upspec Brooks saddle, also including the original drop bars. You're unlikely to find all that in your average craigslist Japanese bike, and how much would it cost you, in both $$$ and time, to convert your usual drop-bar bike listing, with the usual old tires/cables/casing/etc?

So if that spec matches what you want, and of course the bike fits and yadda yadda yadda, seems like it's not at all a bad deal.

Originally Posted by bikemig
The bike is expensive at $600 but Bridgestones command a premium and this is in fine shape. You can find an equivalent quality bike of this age for less but if this bike fits you, the price is likely not too far off the market value. I'd offer $500 and see if there is some room to negotiate in the price if it fits.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.or...393039280.html

As a point of reference, an equivalent quality Japanese bike of that era would be worth considerably less, maybe $300-$400. It's up to you whether you want to pay the premium for a Grant Peterson designed bike. I like his bikes a lot but you do pay extra for them.
Old 10-17-21, 01:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,263 Times in 1,645 Posts
What do you want it for? I agree with bikemig that the price seems high, but yeah Bstone fans might pay it because they always wanted one.

I don’t sell bikes but I’m pretty sure there is no room to flip this even at $500.

If you’re looking for a commuter or a rail trail bike I’d look for something more off roadie like a full ChroMo hybrid or a Bianchi Volpe or Project bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-18-21, 03:28 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Liked 1,177 Times in 611 Posts
The only thing I would add is that if this is THE BIKE you have been looking for then get it. If it just looks like a clean bike that would be nice to own I would be hesitant. It's all the money and I would expect it to be a touch cleaner and (personal opinion) I'm not in love with the wrap on the bars.
Old 10-19-21, 08:57 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
The only thing I would add is that if this is THE BIKE you have been looking for then get it. If it just looks like a clean bike that would be nice to own I would be hesitant. It's all the money and I would expect it to be a touch cleaner and (personal opinion) I'm not in love with the wrap on the bars.
+10 If you really want THIS BIKE, go for it. As far as value goes, the price is way too high. And +10 that bar wrap job is awful! Components are underwhelming too.

Those brake calipers look like the lower level Shimano ones with the plastic spring body. If so, I hate those! Higher level Shimano calipers were much nicer.