Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Superbe Pro 8 Speed Group

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 04:19 AM
BMC_Kid 

Liked 534 Times in 210 Posts
Superbe Pro 8 Speed Group

I’ve got a very slightly used Superbe Pro 8 speed group I will be taking off one of my bikes and would like to get an idea of what is a fair price for it. It will consist of the following:
- Crankset w/ Italian bottom bracket
- Chain
- Brakeset - calipers and levers
- Derailleurs (front and rear) and DT shifters
- Cassette
- Hubset 32 hole, front and rear
- Pedals w/toeclips
- Headset
- Seatpost
Old 12-10-21, 08:42 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
Just search completed SOLD auctions on ebay, compare your condition to theirs. Asking prices on eBay are meaningless. Selling local in my area at best I could get 10% of ebay price, probably less. Selling here, figure 50% of ebay price, maybe a little less.

Measure chain for stretch, if it is worn out, forget the chain. Suntour used a unique (think obsolete) cassette freehub.
Old 12-10-21, 03:12 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,995 Times in 683 Posts
Since these as said these took a Suntour cassette so whoever buys the group will want need the hubs with the free hub.
Old 12-10-21, 10:35 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Since these as said these took a Suntour cassette so whoever buys the group will want need the hubs with the free hub.
The buyers will not need anything else to use the group, the hubset and cassette are a matched set. The chain as all the components is essentially new, maybe 6 rides total on it.

I figured to list it here after getting a fair estimate of the value and give members an opportunity first. Guess my best bet is to just put it on eBay and let the market decide. Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-11-21, 10:15 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,995 Times in 683 Posts
As it is a complete groupset in near new condition I think you could get $300-350 plus shipping or so from the cheapskates here on the bike forums and likely twice that on Ebay. Not a lot sales info to go on from here or ebay just a few individual components no groupsets.
Old 12-11-21, 11:10 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Liked 471 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
The buyers will not need anything else to use the group, the hubset and cassette are a matched set. The chain as all the components is essentially new, maybe 6 rides total on it.

I figured to list it here after getting a fair estimate of the value and give members an opportunity first. Guess my best bet is to just put it on eBay and let the market decide. Thanks for all your help.
How about posting a few photos so we can gauge condition a bit better? Also - more technical details such as cassette cog sizing, how many cogs, crankset sizing, front derailleur configuration would help folks decide on desirability. Also, silver anodized components can be beautiful if they are pristine but if you've scratches or road rash, the value is going to plummet.

8 speed superbe Pro cassettes (the one with a single threaded Uniglide style outer lockring cog) are pretty darn rare.

Last edited by masi61; 12-11-21 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-11-21, 12:04 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by masi61
How about posting a few photos so we can gauge condition a bit better? Also - more technical details such as cassette cog sizing, how many cogs, crankset sizing, front derailleur configuration would help folks decide on desirability. Also, silver anodized components can be beautiful if they are pristine but if you've scratches or road rash, the value is going to plummet.

8 speed superbe Pro cassettes (the one with a single threaded Uniglide style outer lockring cog) are pretty darn rare.
Here’s a photo of the components on the bike. This was taken its second ride in Austin.

Here’s a photo the bike in my backyard the day I built it up. It was the only time the SP pedals were mounted. I took it on a hour ride into the country west of San Antonio wearing a pair of Marresi cycling shoes. Wonderful combination of frame and components. The SP shifts so smoothly. Brakes are excellent too.

I live a work in Bahrain and the bike is in Texas. I’ll see if my brother can take some photos so I can post them. I can assure you all components are pristine. It took me a couple years to put together the group of NOS SP 8 speed, the cassette being the hardest to locate. My plan is to build the bike up with Campy 11 speed in January when I’m home next.

The cassette if I remember correctly, is 12-23. Crankset is 172.5mm, 53-39. Front derailleur is braze-on.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 12-13-21 at 10:20 AM.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 12-11-21, 01:23 PM
masi61

Thanks BMC_Kid - that is very nice. I'm not surprised that you had a hard time locating the proper 8 speed cassette. Those are next to impossible to find. The 8 speed "micro-drive" cassettes are somewhat easier to find but as you probably know - those thread onto a differently configured freehub body.

From the photos, the components do indeed look "pristine" . It appears that your Superbe brake calipers are the "hidden spring" type which as more desirable, therefore more valuable.

As far as pricing goes - you might get lucky and have 2 motivated bidders going at each other on eBay who are both desirous of these rare, pretty parts. I saw one of the Accushift Superbe Pro rear derailleurs that was new in the box fetch like $340 a year or 2 ago. But I purchased one like that 10 years ago for $130. Same with the cranks, shifters, hidden spring brakes - if they are truly "like new" the selling price could go quite high. It appears you have the seatpost and headset those who are doing a full "Superbe Pro 8-speed build will appreciate these extra flourishes and likely these can potentially sell at good used prices if they don't get gouged up when removing from the bike. Have you considered just selling the bike whole?

Also - the aero brake levers are a nice touch - if the little black dust covers are there, and the black rubber brake hoods are not messed up and the alloy on the levers is un-scratched, well that would be a nice find for somebody. If for some reason the hoods need replacing there were certain Gran Compe aero hoods that I believe had a similar enough shape that they could be made to work .

Last edited by masi61; 12-11-21 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-11-21, 03:09 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by masi61
Thanks BMC_Kid - that is very nice. I'm not surprised that you had a hard time locating the proper 8 speed cassette. Those are next to impossible to find. The 8 speed "micro-drive" cassettes are somewhat easier to find but as you probably know - those thread onto a differently configured freehub body.

From the photos, the components do indeed look "pristine" . It appears that your Superbe brake calipers are the "hidden spring" type which as more desirable, therefore more valuable.

As far as pricing goes - you might get lucky and have 2 motivated bidders going at each other on eBay who are both desirous of these rare, pretty parts. I saw one of the Accushift Superbe Pro rear derailleurs that was new in the box fetch like $340 a year or 2 ago. But I purchased one like that 10 years ago for $130. Same with the cranks, shifters, hidden spring brakes - if they are truly "like new" the selling price could go quite high. It appears you have the seatpost and headset those who are doing a full "Superbe Pro 8-speed build will appreciate these extra flourishes and likely these can potentially sell at good used prices if they don't get gouged up when removing from the bike. Have you considered just selling the bike whole?

Also - the aero brake levers are a nice touch - if the little black dust covers are there, and the black rubber brake hoods are not messed up and the alloy on the levers is un-scratched, well that would be a nice find for somebody. If for some reason the hoods need replacing there were certain Gran Compe aero hoods that I believe had a similar enough shape that they could be made to work .
The brakes are indeed the hidden spring type and the hoods for the brake levers are like new.

I’ll be rebuilding this bike with Athena 11 speed, and start putting some miles on it.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 12-11-21 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-11-21, 03:13 PM
masi61

Hey BMC_Kid - that complete bike is super gorgeous. The 7/8 speed Accushift indexed down tube shift levers are the stuff as well!
Old 12-11-21, 04:23 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
Parts alone on eBay: $400 to $500. Very attractive bike!
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 12-11-21, 04:53 PM
pcb 

Liked 636 Times in 291 Posts
Highest net would likely be selling individual items on ebay, I'd reckon $100-$125ea or so, maybe a little higher for the rder and calipers, less for the fder and brake levers. I wouldn't expect much for the chain. I think the $200+ mark for any of the higher-value bits is unlikely, that range looks to be primarily actual NIB items these days.

I'd split the brake calipers from the brake levers, list/sell each in pairs.

Hard to say whether selling the wheels built would be better than cutting out the rims and selling the hubs separately. Hubs w/o rims are so much quicker/easier/cheaper to pack/ship, and in general there's no premium on vintage wheelsets unless the rims themselves are rare/special.

This also means 8-10 separate ebay listings, 8-10 sets of photographs, 8-10 packages to ship, etc. Factoring in what your/brother's time/etc is worth, might be better to list parts together as a group, start with a $500? bid, let it sell for whatevs, and not have the hassle of multiple listings/shipping/etc.
Old 12-11-21, 11:17 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by pcb
Highest net would likely be selling individual items on ebay, I'd reckon $100-$125ea or so, maybe a little higher for the rder and calipers, less for the fder and brake levers. I wouldn't expect much for the chain. I think the $200+ mark for any of the higher-value bits is unlikely, that range looks to be primarily actual NIB items these days.

I'd split the brake calipers from the brake levers, list/sell each in pairs.

Hard to say whether selling the wheels built would be better than cutting out the rims and selling the hubs separately. Hubs w/o rims are so much quicker/easier/cheaper to pack/ship, and in general there's no premium on vintage wheelsets unless the rims themselves are rare/special.

This also means 8-10 separate ebay listings, 8-10 sets of photographs, 8-10 packages to ship, etc. Factoring in what your/brother's time/etc is worth, might be better to list parts together as a group, start with a $500? bid, let it sell for whatevs, and not have the hassle of multiple listings/shipping/etc.
Thanks for the advice and I agree, selling the whole of the wheel adds to the hassle-level and does not typically bring much more to pocket than a hubset will do separately. I'll be deconstructing the wheels and rebuilding with the new Campy compatible hubs, so the Superbe Pro hubs will be parted out from the wheels and sold separately. Currently, the bike is still whole and won't be rebuilt until I get home in January. At that time, I will break it down, take lots of photos and then list them here first as a group. If it does not sell, then before I leave, I'll box them up individually and list on eBay at some point in the future. I'm also rebuilding my Tesch S-22 with the same Campy 11 speed and will have a bunch of 8/9 speed Dura-Ace parts to sell as well. Those I will definitely sell separately since it is not a complete group of the same series.
Old 12-12-21, 07:55 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 6,206 Times in 2,002 Posts
That has got to be the ugliest Zullo I've ever seen. I'll take it off your hands for around $100 so you don't need to look at that beauty, I mean, monstrosity again!

Old 12-12-21, 10:11 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by jamesdak
That has got to be the ugliest Zullo I've ever seen. I'll take it off your hands for around $100 so you don't need to look at that beauty, I mean, monstrosity again!

Hey, everyone’s baby is the prettiest no matter how ugly, am I right?
Old 12-12-21, 12:44 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,263 Times in 1,645 Posts
Already out of my price range

It's hot with a capital H over there. Bahrain was the first place in the Middle East I went to when I joined the reserves and we opened the cargo doo I just couldn't get over the heat. Unfortunately I didn't get to see much we unloaded and reloaded and were gone headed back to Sigonella in less than 4 hours

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk