Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help Picking an Endurance Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help Picking an Endurance Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-22, 09:54 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
This is great advice. Get the bike that fits and you like and ignore the BB standard. I’ve had a number of bikes with a PFbottom bracket and only one ever creaked, and that was the quality of the SRAM BB, not the bike itself or the shell.
Personally, I feel the better advice is to educate yourself on the standards and decide for yourself if it's something that you have an opinion on.

For me a PF bottom bracket isn't a deal breaker by itself and Canyon was on my shortlist, but it is a consideration that I take into account and ultimately I chose elsewhere for more money to avoid it because of my own experiences and preferences. Cannondale isn't the only manufacturer to go back to threaded BBs on their frames and there is a reason for the market pressure that is causing that. I'm sure people will argue what those reasons are and that's fine. For me it's simply easier to swap a new BB in if needed when threaded and the added insurance against the possibility of creaking is a very minor part of the decision.

The Smartsense on the new Cannondales was the only negative I had on the bike as everything else ticked the boxes I had. Endurance geometry - not too relaxed though, threaded BB, 27.2 standard round seat post, simpler cable routing and the ability to use any bar and stem I'd like. I've already pulled the smartsense from the bike and ordered the cap to cover the cavity. I'd prefer not to have to do that, but it was less of a negative (for me) than the PF BB was on the Canyon.
Old 03-12-22, 05:11 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I'm glad you're sticking with Shimano
Old 03-12-22, 11:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked 5,144 Times in 3,178 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Personally, I feel the better advice is to educate yourself on the standards
Yep you can really get lost in the detail and forget all about actually riding the bike. So you managed to convince yourself that press-fit BBs are more of a negative than paying for a fully integrated lighting system that you didn't want. Good effort.
Old 03-12-22, 02:45 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yep you can really get lost in the detail and forget all about actually riding the bike. So you managed to convince yourself that press-fit BBs are more of a negative than paying for a fully integrated lighting system that you didn't want. Good effort.
Hehe. Yes, a PF bottom bracket IS more of a negative than what is already just a capped cavity underneath the water bottle cage. No convincing required since it's just my opinion which appears to differ from yours. Keep working on your post count champ.

Last edited by KJ43; 03-12-22 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-20-22, 07:09 PM
JayhawkNavy02

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
This is great advice. Get the bike that fits and you like and ignore the BB standard. I’ve had a number of bikes with a PFbottom bracket and only one ever creaked, and that was the quality of the SRAM BB, not the bike itself or the shell.
I wouldn't let the BB debate dominate your choice of bike here. There are other far more important considerations like fit and geometry. People tend to over-state the potential issues with press-fit BBs. There are an awful lot of people riding around happily on them.
Originally Posted by Mojo31
It is believed that press fit BBS can develop creaking noises over time. Threaded is supposed to be more stable. lots of arguments on both sides.
Thank you for the great advice. I did a bunch of research, and basically it seems a wash. I don't have major concerns over either. So looks like the Canyon for me (assuming it fits)...heading to Carlsbad to try one! Otherwise its a hard look at the Giant Defy Advanced 2, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, or Trek Domane SL 5.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 03-20-22 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 03:51 AM
PeteHski

Now I've got some mileage on my Endurace I've been very impressed with the ride. It rides even smoother than my Defy (probably due to the split flexible seatpost and carbon bars taking out front end vibration). But it's also got much wider internal rims, so the air volume in the tyres (running tubeless) is higher. Again I think this helps the ride considerably, even though I'm on the same nominal 30 mm wide tyres on both bikes. My Endurace has 22 mm vs 17 mm internal width rims on my Defy. Big difference. But this is all down to specific build spec. The version you have pictured above has the solid seatpost, different rims and different cockpit, so those could make quite a difference to the ride.

As far as geometry goes, there's not much in it at all between my Endurace and Defy (both size L). Stack and reach are nearly identical and the Endurace has just a slightly shorter wheelbase and slightly sharper steering (0.5 degree steeper head angle). It's hard to tell any difference out on the road in that respect.

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-21-22 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-21-22, 10:35 AM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Now I've got some mileage on my Endurace I've been very impressed with the ride. It rides even smoother than my Defy (probably due to the split flexible seatpost and carbon bars taking out front end vibration). But it's also got much wider internal rims, so the air volume in the tyres (running tubeless) is higher. Again I think this helps the ride considerably, even though I'm on the same nominal 30 mm wide tyres on both bikes. My Endurace has 22 mm vs 17 mm internal width rims on my Defy. Big difference. But this is all down to specific build spec. The version you have pictured above has the solid seatpost, different rims and different cockpit, so those could make quite a difference to the ride.
I like the split seat post, if I go with Canyon I'll start with the stock and then check out the split. I've hard they're great. Maybe down the road try some CF bars as well. Looking forward to trying one out.
Old 03-21-22, 12:11 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02
I like the split seat post, if I go with Canyon I'll start with the stock and then check out the split. I've hard they're great. Maybe down the road try some CF bars as well. Looking forward to trying one out.
Yeah the split carbon post is great. Even more effective than the D-shaped carbon post on my Defy. Plus I like that the saddle stays level when the post flexes backward (parallelogram rail mounts), rather than tipping slightly nose up. It doesn't feel overly flexible when riding along, but takes out all the sting from hitting potholes etc. Canyon advise starting off with your saddle 5 mm higher than normal to allow for the additional flex, which gives you a rough idea how much it flexes with your weight. In reality you don't really feel any obvious sag in the post (I'm an 80 kg rider), but the ride is very comfortable. It's a great solution they came up with and looks very neat. The integrated carbon bar/stem on the higher-end Endurace models is nice too. My Defy has an alloy bar, which transmits a fair amount of road vibration, even with thick bar tape. The carbon bar on my Endurace damps a lot of this vibration out. More than I expected to be honest. The whole bike feels like a significant upgrade, but it is a higher build spec than my Defy so not really a fair comparison. Honestly the Defy is a solid bike too. Mine is a 2019 Advanced Pro 2 with Shimano 105, carbon SLR1 wheels, carbon post, alloy bars. My Endurace is a 2022 CF SL8 eTap. The DT Swiss ERC1400 carbon wheels are very nice indeed with the 22 mm internal width and 240 hubs.

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-21-22 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-25-22, 06:16 PM
Buddy of KS

Bikes: Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AudioSQ
Scott Addict 20 may deserve a look.
Have you seen the pricing of a 22' Addict?
Old 04-03-22, 07:11 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
I have SKS raceblades on my Defy. They are okay, but still allow plenty of spray to get to my feet etc. I rarely ride my Defy on wet roads anymore tho.

I put SKS chromoplastic Longboards on my actual wet weather bike (Contend AR1). They work very well.
Old 04-11-22, 11:57 AM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well my Endurace was delivered. I test road the CF SL with eTap. Overall, the bike is amazing. I don't find the aluminum handlebars to be an issue, they flex more than my Felt and no issues with discomfort, even on long rides. The seat isn't trash, but not nearly as nice as the 8.0 version, but better than many stock seats I tried on "mid range" bikes. It has already departed the pattern in favor of my old seat and now in place on the training bike. The seat post, although not the split version seems to do fine and I don't feel an immediate need to upgrade, but may in the future.

Overall, super happy, would have loved to have electronic shifting, but that can come in the future if I manage to wear out the drive train. Bike handles, rides, and is fast. I'm really impressed. The Canyon show room in Carlsbad took quite literally, hours with me. Both in selection, fitting and testing bikes. I couldn't find a bike shop in SOCAL with the inventory Canyon's staff spent a ton of time. Small things, but they had coffee, water, etc. on site so after riding around for hours it was nice to have. Overall, exceptional service, terrific bike and great staff. Couldn't be happier.
Likes For JayhawkNavy02:
Old 04-21-22, 10:48 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
All this talk about getting a new endurance bike has me wondering. People can actually get these bikes? Talks with the shops here in Missoula Montana reveal that it is almost impossible to get a new bike these days unless you settle for a few that are out there in stock. The Canyon site has most bikes as out of stock or coming soon. The local Trek dealer said that I would have to wait two years to get a Checkpoint or a Domane. I given up on trying to find what I would like. Fortunately, I have a few bikes that I still like a lot including a 2017 Domane SL5. I really don't need a new bike.
Old 04-21-22, 12:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10608 Post(s)
Liked 12,226 Times in 6,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
All this talk about getting a new endurance bike has me wondering. People can actually get these bikes? Talks with the shops here in Missoula Montana reveal that it is almost impossible to get a new bike these days unless you settle for a few that are out there in stock. The Canyon site has most bikes as out of stock or coming soon. The local Trek dealer said that I would have to wait two years to get a Checkpoint or a Domane. I given up on trying to find what I would like. Fortunately, I have a few bikes that I still like a lot including a 2017 Domane SL5. I really don't need a new bike.
If you're on Canyon's email list, they just sent out a notice that the Outlet had been restocked. I'm not in the market for another bike, but out of curiosity I checked what they had. Aeroads, mostly, with a few Ultimates and Enduraces. So, there are bikes, but they may require 1) searching and 2) grabbing what you find. Sadly, it's not the time for careful, methodical researching and testing before purchase.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-21-22, 12:40 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9678 Post(s)
Liked 6,394 Times in 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
The closest Trek store to me had about 5 Domanes (several SL5s, SL6 and SL7) in stock two weeks ago. Pretty much all in the common 54, 56, 58 sizes. They also had Madones and Emondas (SL5, SL7, SLR) in the same size ranges. All of the ones I saw were carbon 105, Ultegra and Etap of various configuations.