Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Climbing -- Does Bike Weight Really Matter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Climbing -- Does Bike Weight Really Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 10:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Less weight just like more aero shows it's benefits better over the time of a long ride and not just comparing the results of one climb, or a short ride with several climbs.
And even a slight headwind or tailwind can have a much bigger effect than a reduction in weight (or an increase in power).

I climb Mt Hamilton Road twice a week, weather permitting. Speeds for the same segment are all over the place, even when I keep the power about the same. It's the wind.

Old 05-03-24, 11:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4552 Post(s)
Liked 5,065 Times in 3,125 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
Wrong. Typical amateur mistake to only factor in the weight of the bike.
With your eating habits I'm surprised you still do climbs.
What are you talking about? Who only factors in bike weight alone?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-03-24, 12:37 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 299 Posts
I regret clicking on this thread...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 05-03-24, 12:38 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep.
Someone new to mute...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 05-03-24, 01:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Lower gearing allows for lower maximum crank torque and lower minimum speed (before falling over), and thus lower power. Lower gearing isn't so much to make you climb faster, it's to allow you to climb slower. Like PeteHski, I can climb steeper hills on my 12kg MTB than my 8kg road bike.
Of course, but it's also more complicated than that. I had a group ride this past Sunday, my wife and I on our 40+ lb. tandem, us at 293 lbs. and 153 y.o. We had some ordinary aging roadies on singles and a newbie on a high bar MTB with big knobbies. The newbie was really slow on the flats - we had to wait for him every few miles, but not so much on the hills, which did surprise us a bit. Our tandem with its 26 X 40 bottom gear did OK because the terrain was rolling and our weight and aero made up for a good bit our considerably slower steady-state climbing.

On my single, purchased at 55 with a 30 X 25 bottom gear, gradually acquired a 26 X 30 gear over the decades, which really starts to matter on rides of over say 50 miles, converting more oxygen into speed and less sugars. From 55 y.o. to 76 y.o. and making those gear changes on the same bike, my time on a 154 mile 9000' course only increased by about an hour. Low gears are more about being able to continue to make power over the long hours. This is sorta PeteHski's point too, less exhaustion over time.

I'm giving the newbie some old SPD double sided pedals and taking him shopping for MTB shoes. Ooooh, another victim for the Dark Side, just waiting to be harvested.
Old 05-03-24, 03:57 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12007 Post(s)
Liked 6,751 Times in 3,525 Posts
Sorry for the disruption OP, please carry on.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-04-24, 01:26 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 78 Posts
Sadly, age is more important than weight or gears......
Old 05-04-24, 04:35 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
yes. It matters less then your fitness, and I think matters as much as tire choice and drivetrain condition. If I had to classify on what is important for climbing it would be tier 2. Tier 1 would be body weight, fitness, and gearing. Tier 2 would be bike weight, tire type+inflation level, total bike condition, and brake rub/frame rub when standing.
Old 05-04-24, 08:23 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Sadly, age is more important than weight or gears......
true, but 'age' can have a pleasant side... you worry just a little less about 'time' and 'see' the climb more completely, everything that you're passing through...
... knowing that things are going way better than they might... and maybe even better than expected...
looking forward to hitting some hills this am
Time on the bike, is aging suspended
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-05-24, 06:44 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 433 Posts
At my weight of 180# and climbing power of 225w - an 8% 20 mile climb on a 22# bike(water bottles, bike bag) = 195 min.

Take 4#s off the bike, which = a whole bunch of money, I would save under three min.

Something I would never notice at all.
Old 05-05-24, 09:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
And even a slight headwind or tailwind can have a much bigger effect than a reduction in weight (or an increase in power).

I climb Mt Hamilton Road twice a week, weather permitting. Speeds for the same segment are all over the place, even when I keep the power about the same. It's the wind.
Boy is this ever true. On a 3 mile climb, last Friday with a good tailwind, I posted a 1 minute and 3 second reduction. What really drove the point home was being able to peddle down in an area where I am usually spun-out.

No data to support my claim other than the sprinters in the major tours always trying to beat the cut-off on the major climbs; but personal body weight probably plays more of a factor in climbing speed than the bike. Watts/Kg

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-06-24, 05:19 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rsbob

No data to support my claim other than the sprinters in the major tours always trying to beat the cut-off on the major climbs; but personal body weight probably plays more of a factor in climbing speed than the bike. Watts/Kg
This is certainly true because variation in rider weight is far greater than variation in bike weight. Those pro tour bikes are all well within 1 kg, while the rider weights might vary by 20 Kg from lightest to heaviest.
Old 05-06-24, 06:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,533 Posts
The climbing challenge at the end is the truth. It shows it better than any explainations.

Old 05-06-24, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by seypat
The climbing challenge at the end is the truth. It shows it better than any explainations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCLvqN9kwuo
Yep, it shows that bike weight doesn’t really matter in comparison to the riders.
Old 05-06-24, 06:59 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/cycling-wattage

The calculator above can compare changes in weight and wind conditions. I did a comparison with 10 pounds of extra weight for an ebike and it only takes 15-20 watts more to go up a 13% climb. Wind is big factor. I've ridden a 12 mile climb up to 2 mph faster with a tail wind and hardly noticed the help going up. If the weather ever gets better, I'll be experimenting with customized power curves to provide minimal assistance, only on the steepest climbs. A Fazua Ride60 can provide ridiculous amounts of power, but it can also be programmed for much lower amounts.
Old 05-06-24, 07:21 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 446 Posts
It's subjective. It depends on your definition of ''really''. For a world elite athlete climber that wants to shave 1 second off a 5km climb, yes. For us mere mortals who spend money on bikes we don't really need, no.
Old 05-06-24, 07:41 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
It's subjective. It depends on your definition of ''really''. For a world elite athlete climber that wants to shave 1 second off a 5km climb, yes. For us mere mortals who spend money on bikes we don't really need, no.
The effect of the weight on your climbing time is entirely objective. The importance of that time difference is the only subjective part.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-06-24, 11:18 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
When climbing, I think less about time savings and more about power savings.

If I can do a long climb at the same pace but with 10 fewer watts, that will make a huge difference in my fatigue. Even a 5 watts difference is noticeable.

Rough Rule of Thumb: When climbing at a spirited but not outrageous 1000 meters/hr, every kilogram requires about 3 watts. Add a kg, you have to put out another 3 watts. Dump a kg, reduce effort by 3 watts.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-06-24 at 04:59 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-06-24, 12:40 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 523 Posts
Damon Rinard, my friend now at Cannondale (but ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Kestrel, and ex-rec.bicycles.tech) sometimes says we got it wrong when we started obsessing about how much *faster* a change makes us. He says it often makes sense for us to think in terms of how much *easier* a change makes it for us. There isn't much difference in speed between riding at 250 watts vs. 240 watts but if your threshold is 245 watts there's a big difference to you in which is easier.
Old 05-06-24, 12:55 PM
PeteHski

If I can do a long climb at the same pace but with 10 fewer watts, that will make a huge difference in my fatigue. Even a 5 watts difference is noticeable.

Rough url of thumb: When climbing at a spirited but not outrageous 1000 meters/hr, every kilogram requires about 3 watts. Add a kg, you have to put out another 3 watts. Dump a kg, reduce effort by 3 watts.
Yeah I also use 3 W/kg as a rough benchmark as that would be my typical power to weight ratio for a long, steady climb. If I respect the UCI min weight then I’ve only got potential scope to save 3W, which is not worth the cost me. A 10W (3 kg) saving would be impossible at any cost and technically cheating in the UCI events I do enter.

As far as fatigue goes, it makes no real difference to me if I’m riding solo. I just climb fractionally slower at the same power. If I’m riding in a group I have to suck up the extra 3W. It’s not enough to use as an excuse if I get dropped and it’s not as if everyone else has a lighter bike anyway.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-06-24, 07:19 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
He says it often makes sense for us to think in terms of how much *easier* a change makes it for us. There isn't much difference in speed between riding at 250 watts vs. 240 watts but if your threshold is 245 watts there's a big difference to you in which is easier.
Crucially, it's also not a cop-out: there are many situations in cycling where ease-of-speed is the framing device you're thrust into. When you're desperately clinging onto a pack, your speed is whatever speed the wheel in front of you is doing.
Old 05-06-24, 07:30 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Crucially, it's also not a cop-out: there are many situations in cycling where ease-of-speed is the framing device you're thrust into. When you're desperately clinging onto a pack, your speed is whatever speed the wheel in front of you is doing.
"Every once in a while someone along the road lets us know how far behind we are. A man shouts: ‘Faster!’ He probably thinks bicycle racing is about going fast." -- Tim Krabbe, The Rider
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-07-24, 06:39 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCLvqN9kwuo
That was enjoyable. Thanks. I wonder what the effect of body profile and wind resistance is in the "real world" tests. I have that sprinter/track body and in a headwind that works against me for sure.
Old 05-07-24, 07:51 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by bruce19
That was enjoyable. Thanks. I wonder what the effect of body profile and wind resistance is in the "real world" tests. I have that sprinter/track body and in a headwind that works against me for sure.
If only there were some way to account for that.
Old 05-07-24, 10:06 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 462 Posts
Damon Rinard, my friend now at Cannondale (but ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Kestrel, and ex-rec.bicycles.tech) sometimes says we got it wrong when we started obsessing about how much *faster* a change makes us. He says it often makes sense for us to think in terms of how much *easier* a change makes it for us. There isn't much difference in speed between riding at 250 watts vs. 240 watts but if your threshold is 245 watts there's a big difference to you in which is easier.
As things are now, I think the 'easier' paradigm is my current mantra... until you hit that point where 'captain, she's gonna blow!'...
which brings up that old Lemond 'quote'
"It never gets easier, you just go faster !"
the balance and challenge of finding 'more' in yourself and yet being ok with knowing that, in that moment, that's all there was...
one of the difficult things to balance on a lifetime basis...
Ride On
Yuri - and yes, philosophy helps get one thru ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.