Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much faster would I be with better wheels & tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much faster would I be with better wheels & tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 10:24 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
I did watch that video again and same conclusions.... Their 'real world' study is not there. as They noted , they did a lot of 'simulation', not actual measurement - from a group focused on their business, Aero Stuff. I'm all about and for science, but there is well substantiated science, and some which is not that. Let's see how the data was gathered and what it is...
Which video did you rewatch?
I've done my own 'studies', and lighter comes out always faster - in some significant way.
So, why are riders spending up over $10K these days for the lightest bikes available? Certainly the aero advantages of the thousands less cost bikes are equal...
My suggestion, let each rider do their own comparison - if you have an older machine (of most any age older) and recently bought a newer machine/bike. Do some equal comparison...
decide for yourself...
How have you done your studies, and your comparisons?

A very equal time trial of 10 miles on a light rolling course with no marked stops, equal enviromental conditions & apparent wind, aero hoods position, same kit. 3 bikes.
Was elapsed time the thing you were measuring? How did you account for differences in wind or power?
Old 05-03-24, 11:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4544 Post(s)
Liked 5,052 Times in 3,120 Posts
Of course you're welcome to believe whatever you think ... I could do my usual post lengthy, but not gonna completely hijack this thread...
Aero is certainly king for much of what we're talking about - and for that the human and 'position' is by far the biggest thing. So lets set aero aside as a 'given'.
I did watch that video again and same conclusions.... Their 'real world' study is not there. as They noted , they did a lot of 'simulation', not actual measurement - from a group focused on their business, Aero Stuff. I'm all about and for science, but there is well substantiated science, and some which is not that. Let's see how the data was gathered and what it is...
The Crit (as with most Brit based stuff) is on an enclosed course, no real corners - we could talk about many, maybe most real Crits, which have constant, sharp deccel & accel out of sharp corners... ****** road surfaces with drains, potholes, many possible traps...

Flywheel effect - certainly true, but so is energy loss.
Flywheel effect fades rapidly for your average rider who rides a rolling course which longer rollers which might be 4-5% grades - very common around here... In a group, you're off the back. Alone you're 10 ish seconds slower , especially at the crest, and so slower resuming a faster pace. All Additive...
Climbing longer uphillls, well I think most everyone will climb better with lighter gear... I don't know anyone in some hundreds of riders (prollu more like thousands) who has contradicted that in their approach - and certainly is true even in the higher rungs of today's sport - with adapting for the conditions.
I've done my own 'studies', and lighter comes out always faster - in some significant way.
So, why are riders spending up over $10K these days for the lightest bikes available? Certainly the aero advantages of the thousands less cost bikes are equal...
My suggestion, let each rider do their own comparison - if you have an older machine (of most any age older) and recently bought a newer machine/bike. Do some equal comparison...
decide for yourself...
Yeah, of course, the argument can be better/more choice in 'gearing', 'comfort' (maybe...).etc. But 'faster' is 'faster'... So New Bike or Old Bike - faster?
In my case
A very equal time trial of 10 miles on a light rolling course with no marked stops, equal enviromental conditions & apparent wind, aero hoods position, same kit. 3 bikes. 2009 Spec tarmac 56cm 17.6 lbs, 2023 Trek Emonda 56 cm 21.5 lbs, 1984 Colnago Master, 58cm 21.5 lbs The Tarmac by far the fastest by 26 sec. Emonda was the slowest 42 sec. behind the Tarmac. the Colnago was 26 sec behind the Tarmac (and the least aero by both position and tech). My 2014 Tarmac is always 'faster' than the 2009 (more aero and efficient), but the 2009 tarmac is my weekday ride...
Aero matters, Wheels matter, Weight matters... and, of course, the motor, most of all.
Just my view from almost 40 years of very strong involvement in competitive cycling...
Ride On
Yuri
If we set aside the aero and rolling resistance, then the effect of bike weight and wheel rotating inertia alone is very easy to simulate accurately for any course and power profile, which is what SwissSide and others have done. They were actually surprised how little effect 400g of wheel mass had in time over the crit course. It's actually easier to simulate than it is to measure in real life. The physics is not difficult when calculating acceleration and climbing times for a difference in weight. It is what it is.

Talking of rollers with 4-5% grade, they are my bread and butter as an 80 kg rider. 1 kg of weight is neither here nor there on that kind of terrain. We also have plenty of super steep 20%+ climbs and I do suffer on those compared to the sub 70 kg guys. Again the physics supports my observations. Weight makes a lot more difference on a 20% slope and momentum helps me on those constant rollers. Weight penalty is not such a big deal on a sub 5% slope. Especially not within the range of wheel weights anyone would be using.
Old 05-03-24, 11:21 AM
PeteHski

Climbing longer uphillls, well I think most everyone will climb better with lighter gear... I don't know anyone in some hundreds of riders (prollu more like thousands) who has contradicted that in their approach - and certainly is true even in the higher rungs of today's sport - with adapting for the conditions.
This is pretty obvious, but even that becomes questionable on lower gradients when aero effects are added in. We now see plenty of mid-deep aero wheels on big mountain stages. Not always the very lightest climbing wheels are used. Most of the pro tour bikes are not even that close to the UCI min weight, although they probably are on mountain TT stages.
Old 05-03-24, 11:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Talking of rollers with 4-5% grade, they are my bread and butter as an 80 kg rider. 1 kg of weight is neither here nor there on that kind of terrain. We also have plenty of super steep 20%+ climbs and I do suffer on those compared to the sub 70 kg guys. Again the physics supports my observations. Weight makes a lot more difference on a 20% slope and momentum helps me on those constant rollers. Weight penalty is not such a big deal on a sub 5% slope. Especially not within the range of wheel weights anyone would be using.
The significance of weight on a specific grade is speed dependent. The absolute speed gain from weight reduction doesn't depend much at all on speed, but the percentage gain is higher at slower speeds.

Put another way, the slower you climb, the more significant weight reduction becomes. The grade doesn't really matter that much.

Using 3 kg reduction, the speed effect on a 5% grade (kreuzotter.de with default settings):

Watts : Speed Increase
150 : +3.3%
350 : +2.1%

Old 05-03-24, 11:40 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
The significance of weight on a specific grade is speed dependent. The absolute speed gain from weight reduction doesn't depend much at all on speed, but the percentage gain is higher at slower speeds.

Put another way, the slower you climb, the more significant weight reduction becomes. The grade doesn't really matter that much.

Using 3 kg reduction, the speed effect on a 5% grade (kreuzotter.de with default settings):

I'll have to get my head around that. I think of it in terms of slope resistance. on a 0% slope, slope resistance is zero and therefore weight doesn't matter. As slope increases, weight matters more in terms of additional power required to overcome the slope. Grade definitely matters to me. As an 80 kg rider I am quite competitive on rolling courses with relatively shallow grades and much less competitive on courses with 20% grades.
Old 05-03-24, 12:22 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I know you asked about speed but the other part of this is how much more enjoyable it will be to ride nicer tires and lighter wheels.
This.
Old 05-03-24, 01:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 1,406 Posts

My understanding is that's also true for aero rims, and for the same reason. The more time on course the greater the time savings.
Old 05-03-24, 01:45 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Hey All, stay on topic please. Thanks

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-03-24, 06:44 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Which video did you rewatch?

How have you done your studies, and your comparisons?

Was elapsed time the thing you were measuring? How did you account for differences in wind or power?
the video I believe PeteHski was referring to might be this:
it's anecdotal, as are my comments...

Pardon me, I used 'Study' incorrectly , proper should have been 'observations'... 'Study' does imply some well documented Scientific method. I try to be as thorough as I can, but limited by only small resources at hand. So 'Observations'...

The 'course' I used for my 'tests' is what we use in the area for our monthly Monday evening TT (mostly...) held during daylight savings time... No marked stops, only 425 ft vertical gain over 10 miles,
We all know it well, and can dose our efforts accordingly.
test done over 2 days - fastest elapsed time for each - times I showed were the differences from the fastest done (09 Tarmac). 2 days because I didn;t want to color my efforts by doing 3 on same evening... Both days overcast, and no apparent breeze, which is unusual for this area - we always get an afternoon west breeze or wind, had none those days. 'Position' was as identical as I could make it - std road position, not necessarily 'TT aero' - road aero on the hoods...
Don;t have a power meter - so trying to ride by the power numbers is not possible. I did use my apparent effort for my usual TT attempts... I also monitored ny heart rate.
In any case, I do believe the efforts were very equal.
Proof positive? all judgement... none of these bikes had TT or real aero wheels...
Anyway, all this on BF is conversation/discussion, my intent is not scientific debate. If there is scientific study, then I'm very interested. In lieu of that, my own riding experience is what I base my determinations on. And, of course, none of this conversation is ever a personal judgement on anyone - unless they make it that.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-03-24, 07:22 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
My road bike is a Trek Domane AL3. A lower end, aluminum-framed road bike.
Wheels are: Bontrager Paradigm, Paradigm SL or Affinity Disc,
Tires are: Bontrager R1 Hard-Case Lite, wire bead, 60 tpi, 700x32mm

I was poking around researching tire pressure, and this simple calculator says:

Here are my questions:
  1. I'm guessing that those Hard-Case Lite tires are not considered supple, but I sure like the fact that I've had zero flats in over 2,000 miles of riding it. How many more flats am I going to get (all else being equal) if I get "supple, high-performance tires"?
  2. How much faster will I be? I typically ride 15-17 mph, where 15 is comfortable at around a 150 heart rate and 17 is maximum effort at 175 heart rate.)
  3. Someone once told me: "Get rid of those stock wheels and get something decent and it'll make a big difference in your speed." How much, do you think?
Thanks!
Just in case you haven’t come to a conclusion that nicer wheels, upgraded tires, and improved air retention system will make a difference it will.

Conti GP5k’s aren’t the only choice in the tire dept. I went from tubeless to tpu’s on these tapeless rims and Turbo Cotton Hell of the Norths in 28c. The tires ride great and are much easier to deal with in the event they need to be mounted or dismounted easily done by hand compared to the wrestling match I had with the Schwalbe tubeless Pro Ones and from what I can see in the shop even the str gp5ks are a *****.

I ditched the Pro ones because because that bike wasn’t getting enough time compared to my other bike at the time and maintaining sealant more often then riding just didn’t make sense. My other ride is on Pirelli P Zero clinchers and tpu’s from the get go and for me I just preferred this combo but to each it’s own.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 05-03-24, 07:29 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QDnUkUaQfk
Thanks. Yeah, GCN doesn't do "science" very well. I don't think I've had the patience to watch that particular video so maybe that's an unfair assesment (but I've watched other GCN videos that make me bang my head on the table so I'm sort of wary of watching that one without head protection).

[Edited to add] Okay, I watched that video. Not bad, and I didn't need to wear a helmet. I agree with Ballard, but I think he should have known that before he did his analysis.

The 'course' I used for my 'tests' is what we use in the area for our monthly Monday evening TT (mostly...) held during daylight savings time... No marked stops, only 425 ft vertical gain over 10 miles,
We all know it well, and can dose our efforts accordingly.
Do you know my friend Tom? He lives in Goleta and used to be pretty active in the TT scene, and used to be fairly active in the crit racing scene. He's done a lot of testing of aero and rolling resistance on real world venues. He and I have worked together on some pretty cool bike-related tests and projects.

Don;t have a power meter - so trying to ride by the power numbers is not possible. I did use my apparent effort for my usual TT attempts... I also monitored ny heart rate.
In any case, I do believe the efforts were very equal.
Proof positive? all judgement... none of these bikes had TT or real aero wheels...
Anyway, all this on BF is conversation/discussion, my intent is not scientific debate. If there is scientific study, then I'm very interested. In lieu of that, my own riding experience is what I base my determinations on. And, of course, none of this conversation is ever a personal judgement on anyone - unless they make it that.
Ride On
Yuri
Fair enough. It's hard to measure the differential effects of wheel weight on acceleration without *some* equipment. It turns out that it's possible if you have some minimal equipment but the more sensors you have the easier it is. Without an accurate power meter, an accurate speed sensor, and an accurate bathroom scale it's orders of magnitude harder.

Last edited by RChung; 05-03-24 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-03-24, 10:13 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Do you know my friend Tom? He lives in Goleta and used to be pretty active in the TT scene, and used to be fairly active in the crit racing scene. He's done a lot of testing of aero and rolling resistance on real world venues. He and I have worked together on some pretty cool bike-related tests and projects.

Fair enough. It's hard to measure the differential effects of wheel weight on acceleration without *some* equipment. It turns out that it's possible if you have some minimal equipment but the more sensors you have the easier it is. Without an accurate power meter, an accurate speed sensor, and an accurate bathroom scale it's orders of magnitude harder.
Anhalt - Blather 'bout bikes Blog... he did good stuff... also a bit younger than I.
hard to recognize anyone, in real life, when they're not in their riding kit ! LOL !

True... Not having that stuff, one does with what one has. Bike computer, HRM, whatever... course, if you can keep the variables down to one big one, humans can and do make assumptions...
and when you aren't sure (which is mostly always) , 'lighter' has mostly always been a safe bet... LOL!
anyway, it's great that we do get some great science for our thing, even though it's often poorly funded...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-03-24, 11:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,009 Posts
Using either latex or TPU tubes with non-tubeless GP5K tires will produce the same rolling resistance as the tubeless-ready tires. Without the need to use liquid sealant.
On both bikes I run GP5000s. One is tubeless with sealant (with discs) and the other uses TPU tubes (with standard brakes). Both bikes (different mfgs) weigh the same amount amazingly enough. And per Terry’s point, they both feel equally fast. Both are amazingly puncture resistant. Have been surprised with broken glass in a shadow and ridden right through it numerous times, but swept the tires ASAP. No flats in 7,000 cumulative miles.

Oh, and the rims are completely different. The tubeless have either 32mm or 60mm or a combination if it is windy, and the other are standard issue Mavic alloy wheels with exceptional bearings. I get PRs on each bicycle. Both frames are carbon and aero-ish. It’s definitely the tires.

Old 05-03-24, 11:34 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Anhalt - Blather 'bout bikes Blog... he did good stuff... also a bit younger than I.
hard to recognize anyone, in real life, when they're not in their riding kit ! LOL !

True... Not having that stuff, one does with what one has. Bike computer, HRM, whatever... course, if you can keep the variables down to one big one, humans can and do make assumptions...
and when you aren't sure (which is mostly always) , 'lighter' has mostly always been a safe bet... LOL!
anyway, it's great that we do get some great science for our thing, even though it's often poorly funded...
Ride On
Yuri
Yup. Tom is a very careful experimentalist, and gets high precision results -- better than I, damn him. We didn't do many simulations (a few, but not many). We mostly worked with data that we or others collected on real roads or tracks.
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-04-24, 04:40 AM
PeteHski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QDnUkUaQfk
I was actually referring to the SwissSide analysis, which included a detailed report which I can no longer find (probably because it referred to a competing brand’s lightweight wheel). They modelled aero, rolling resistance, weight and rotational inertia and their relative effects on performance over various road course profiles. From a physics and modelling perspective, mass and inertia are very easy to deal with, so I have no reason to question their model in this regard. If you were being cynical you could question their aero modelling, but it wouldn’t change the individual mass and inertia contributions to the model. The latter in particular was very small which fits in with my own professional experience of vehicle modelling. It’s a third order parameter in most models.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-04-24, 08:09 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by Shadco
Just in case you haven’t come to a conclusion that nicer wheels, upgraded tires, and improved air retention system will make a difference it will.

Conti GP5k’s aren’t the only choice in the tire dept. I went from tubeless to tpu’s on these tapeless rims and Turbo Cotton Hell of the Norths in 28c. The tires ride great and are much easier to deal with in the event they need to be mounted or dismounted easily done by hand compared to the wrestling match I had with the Schwalbe tubeless Pro Ones and from what I can see in the shop even the str gp5ks are a *****.

I ditched the Pro ones because because that bike wasn’t getting enough time compared to my other bike at the time and maintaining sealant more often then riding just didn’t make sense. My other ride is on Pirelli P Zero clinchers and tpu’s from the get go and for me I just preferred this combo but to each it’s own.

nice !
reminds me of my tire/wheel selection BITD... Mostly Campy NR SF hubs for road & training, & LF for Crit & track (later with Suntour Superbe) Champion rims for road - Record du Monde for nice Crits & TT.
COTTON Barums for road race - so nice! and almost as nice as CLement Criterium Setas & Extras. The Setas were always for the best surface races, Barums were great for road and usual rough/tough Surface Crits, Training was always on 'construction' weight Wolbers - plenty durable, not that quick and not that long lasting - but cheap... LOL!
They all looked great when you first mounted them (once you learned how to mount without getting glue all over them...)
But after that first really wet ride, they all started looking that ugly 'mold bread' look... the setas too a bit longer, but still became ugly.
Fresh Tires were always a beautiful thing, and brought a bunch of comments on the group training rides and coffee stops... joyful days...
the tan sidewall look is appreciated... and brings back memories.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-04-24, 09:32 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

I was actually referring to the SwissSide analysis, which included a detailed report which I can no longer find (probably because it referred to a competing brand’s lightweight wheel). They modelled aero, rolling resistance, weight and rotational inertia and their relative effects on performance over various road course profiles. From a physics and modelling perspective, mass and inertia are very easy to deal with, so I have no reason to question their model in this regard. If you were being cynical you could question their aero modelling, but it wouldn’t change the individual mass and inertia contributions to the model. The latter in particular was very small which fits in with my own professional experience of vehicle modelling. It’s a third order parameter in most models.
Yeah. I think Ballard does pretty good analysis, though I was surprised that, in that video, he said that he was surprised about the result. I thought that was well-understood even if not always well-known. We'd done experimental tests of wheels with different rotational inertia on the track (for team pursuit, where accelerations/decelerations happen all the time). It turns out that humans on bikes don't accelerate very quickly (in an absolute sense) even during a track pursuit -- on the road, or up a hill, or even in a crit, our accelerations are even lower. So the mass of the wheel matters but the contribution to power demanded is *almost* *entirely* described by the additional mass term, and not the moment of inertia term. That's why in my estimation equation for drag, I usually leave it out. There's a new paper in Sports Engineering that models the power demands of track cycling. Their model looked at instantaneous power demand around a track, when your wheels are accelerating as they do in the turns or decelerating as you exit the turn, but I look at net power demand (where you have to look at both the acceleration and deceleration, net) across a lap. My recollection is that, while they do look at a rotational inertia term, its contribution to total power demand when you integrate across a lap is essentially zero.

Light wheels and good tires feel nice, though.

[Edited to add:] In 2005, Ondrej Sosenka broke Boardman's "Merckx-style" hour record using a "heavy wheel" that reportedly weighed something like 3kg so the rotational inertia would be high. I'm not sure it worked as he thought it might but he broke and held the record, so there's that.

Last edited by RChung; 05-04-24 at 03:33 PM.
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-04-24, 11:36 AM
PeteHski

Yeah. I think Ballard does pretty good analysis, though I was surprised that, in that video, he said that he was surprised about the result. I thought that was well-understood even if not always well-known. We'd done experimental tests of wheels with different rotational inertia on the track (for team pursuit, where accelerations/decelerations happen all the time). It turns out that humans on bikes don't accelerate very quickly (in an absolute sense) even during a track pursuit -- on the road, or up a hill, or even in a crit, our accelerations are even lower. So the mass of the wheel matters but the contribution to power demanded is *almost* *entirely* described by the additional mass term, and not the moment of inertia term. That's why in my estimation equation for drag, I usually leave it out. There's a new paper in Sports Engineering that models the power demands of track cycling. Their model looked at instantaneous power demand around a track, when your wheels are accelerating as they do in the turns or decelerating as you exit the turn, but I look at net power demand (where you have to look at both the acceleration and deceleration, net) across a lap. My recollection is that, while they do look at a rotational inertia term, its contribution to total power demand when you integrate across a lap is essentially zero.

Maybe Ballard was surprised that rotational inertia was even less important than he imagined! I don’t remember the exact time delta for the crit course sim, but it was insignificant.
Old 05-04-24, 05:58 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 398 Posts
I know I'm going to hell, cause when guys ask "will they make me faster?" I'm like "Oh, yes, cosiderably faster" meanwhile I'm thinking "the only thing that will make this guy faster is throwing him and his bike out of a 12 story window"...
Old 05-05-24, 10:13 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that heavier factory wheels aren’t just heavier, they are probably not as stiff as a good wheelset. Back in the day, our coach suggested wiring the spokes together at the cross, and it made a noticeable difference in feel. Of course, back then our sundials weren’t precise enough to measure the difference.
Old 05-05-24, 10:19 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts
Sealant is actually optional with some tubeless tyres. I ran my mountain bikes for years tubeless, without any sealant. Of course you then get flats just like you do with tubed tyres, but at least you can repair them in situ much faster with a plug kit. Adding sealant just makes flats a lot less likely and you can still plug any larger holes - which doesn’t work with sealant filled tubes.

Some tyres do require sealant to seal the sidewalls if they are porous, but a lot don’t. When I’m being lazy (often after a winter break) I will often ride my bikes with dried out sealant and they work just fine. Obviously you lose the flat protection, which is the primary advantage of adding sealant. The only reason why sealant is not so popular in tubed tyres is because it is much less effective at sealing a blown out thin tube vs a punctured tyre.

Sealant only really gets potentially messy if you are forced into fitting a tube at the roadside, which I have never had to do with any tubeless setup in 20 years.
Which tires (road) aren’t porous?
Old 05-05-24, 10:41 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

[Edited to add:] In 2005, Ondrej Sosenka broke Boardman's "Merckx-style" hour record using a "heavy wheel" that reportedly weighed something like 3kg so the rotational inertia would be high. I'm not sure it worked as he thought it might but he broke and held the record, so there's that.
Ok, So not disputing any of what you say is found in accepted 'testing'.
I'd like to see - to be convinced - a more 'real world' test situation... it will have a load of variables, which will preclude any real determination of which elements have the greatest effect - however the ultimate results will provide a more 'real world' conclusion of wheel results for 'lighter wheels are better?"
So, 1 rider of say middling mass - 165-170 lbs rider weight, using one bike, using 2 different wheelsets. One wheelset in the 2200g + wheelset weight with corresponding similar level tires, 2nd set = 1400g ish wheelset with accepted top level tires (GP 5000s or similar?).
running start, in-saddle Acceleration test from 15 mph to 27 mph Why 15 to 27? Because if you're in a crit with corners, and mid or rear pack with a big field, doing that 4x for about 1 mile distance, ongoing for 50+ miles of race pace riding, is common...
What are we measuring? Power / time & Speed / time.
Time on the x axis, and 2 curves - one is the power curve and the other the speed curve. Both curves plotted on the Y on the same chart. Prolly doesn't have to exceed a 15 sec accel segment.
does NOT have to be done in a turn/corner, straight line acceleration is fine and removes technique and cornering skills variables. But same rider, same bike, 2 wheelsets.
Will there be any possible determination of any one of the variables of wheel, tire, weight, aero or crr ? no, but we might/should get a real determination of the overall effect of 'lighter/faster'.
Why Crit 'cornering' simulation? because there will likely be a noticeable difference, and even a solo everyday rider will be able to comprehend the results and make decisions for themselves how much it means to them. I'm willing to wager a case of good bier that there will be a noticeable difference
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: to create an easily understood chart, use the same color for each curve type - say Bright Blue for Speed and Orange for Power. And use Solid and Dash curves to designate the differing wheelsets (of the color/curve type). So Power curves for 2 wheelsets would both be Orange, one solid, one dashed... etc.
But no 'simulations', actual data/results

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-05-24 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 01:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
One thing to keep in mind is that heavier factory wheels aren’t just heavier, they are probably not as stiff as a good wheelset. Back in the day, our coach suggested wiring the spokes together at the cross, and it made a noticeable difference in feel. Of course, back then our sundials weren’t precise enough to measure the difference.
Ah, memories. Back in the day, we would tie and solder our spokes where they crossed, because we thought it made wheels stiffer.

It had zero effect on stiffness, but we didn’t know that at the time. The only practical effect was to keep a broken spoke from flopping around.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-06-24, 05:03 AM
PeteHski

I'd like to see - to be convinced - a more 'real world' test situation... it will have a load of variables, which will preclude any real determination of which elements have the greatest effect - however the ultimate results will provide a more 'real world' conclusion of wheel results for 'lighter wheels are better?"
So, 1 rider of say middling mass - 165-170 lbs rider weight, using one bike, using 2 different wheelsets. One wheelset in the 2200g + wheelset weight with corresponding similar level tires, 2nd set = 1400g ish wheelset with accepted top level tires (GP 5000s or similar?).
running start, in-saddle Acceleration test from 15 mph to 27 mph Why 15 to 27? Because if you're in a crit with corners, and mid or rear pack with a big field, doing that 4x for about 1 mile distance, ongoing for 50+ miles of race pace riding, is common...
Time on the x axis, and 2 curves - one is the power curve and the other the speed curve. Both curves plotted on the Y on the same chart. Prolly doesn't have to exceed a 15 sec accel segment.
does NOT have to be done in a turn/corner, straight line acceleration is fine and removes technique and cornering skills variables. But same rider, same bike, 2 wheelsets.
Will there be any possible determination of any one of the variables of wheel, tire, weight, aero or crr ? no, but we might/should get a real determination of the overall effect of 'lighter/faster'.
Why Crit 'cornering' simulation? because there will likely be a noticeable difference, and even a solo everyday rider will be able to comprehend the results and make decisions for themselves how much it means to them. I'm willing to wager a case of good bier that there will be a noticeable difference
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: to create an easily understood chart, use the same color for each curve type - say Bright Blue for Speed and Orange for Power. And use Solid and Dash curves to designate the differing wheelsets (of the color/curve type). So Power curves for 2 wheelsets would both be Orange, one solid, one dashed... etc.
If you are just comparing the variables of mass and rotational inertia, then there is absolutely no need to do a real world test to measure the difference in straight line acceleration. Simulation will be easier and more accurate for this specific purpose. A real world test would be more useful to verify aero drag and rolling resistance, but the mass is just simple Newtonian physics.
Old 05-06-24, 08:55 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Ride On
Yuri
Oh, I'm *not* saying that wheel weight doesn't matter: I'm saying that the acceleration component of the total effect is small compared to the wheel weight effect. Nor am I saying that the acceleration effect is zero from instant-to-instant. I'm saying that in real testing, not in simulation, that the acceleration effect averages out over a lap, so that the total mass of the wheel is (almost) all that matters, and you can (almost) ignore the moment of inertia of the wheel. The accelerations during a team pursuit race happen far more frequently and are larger than during a crit race, so you'd expect to see a larger effect during a pursuit than during a crit; and if you see (almost) no effect in the pursuit, you're going to see no effect in a crit.

[Edited to add] IOW, suppose you had added 500 g to a wheel: the effect on speed and power over a lap would be the same as if you added 500 g to a water bottle. The instantaneous speed might be different if you were doing a lot of accelerations/decelerations, but over a lap those accelerations/decelerations average out. So the weight matters, but the *additional* effect of whether it's wheel weight vs. water bottle weight averages out over a lap.

Last edited by RChung; 05-06-24 at 09:04 AM.
Likes For RChung:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.