Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-24, 07:47 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13766 Post(s)
Liked 4,572 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Modernity.
I have them on my mtb, so yes.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 05-04-24, 07:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10538 Post(s)
Liked 12,115 Times in 6,201 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I got cut by an actual meat slicer, BITD. Never cut by a disc brake rotor.
The Older Boy tells me he has cut-proof gloves for using the whirling blades of death in the meat department. I suggested he not test them too much.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-04-24, 08:11 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by big john;[url=tel:23231714
23231714[/url]]Have you tried Ride With GPS? I don't know if they have what you are looking for, but it's free.
Been using it for years, But if the local folk don’t use it, it does me no good
Old 05-04-24, 08:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8376 Post(s)
Liked 9,225 Times in 4,546 Posts
When I worked in the kitchen of a hospital cleaning the meat slicer was one of my duties. I called it the finger slicer.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-04-24, 08:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12899 Post(s)
Liked 7,824 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Been using it for years, But if the local folk don’t use it, it does me no good
I record all my rides in RWGPS, and I have the apps linked so as soon as I save a ride to RWGPS it also uploads to Strava.
Old 05-05-24, 12:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Awww. RIP ol' XTR top pulley.

Maybe it's time for Ceramic Speeeeeeed!

Old 05-05-24, 05:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18527 Post(s)
Liked 15,877 Times in 7,454 Posts
I sliced off the very tip of my right index finger cutting corned beef when I worked in a sandwich shop the summer before my senior year of college.
Old 05-05-24, 05:29 AM
indyfabz

Phillies scored 14 last night. The As scored 20 in their game.
Old 05-05-24, 06:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Quoted: 22702 Post(s)
Liked 9,060 Times in 4,208 Posts
It’s a cold and rainy morning. I am being lazy and watching the Giro.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-05-24, 06:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Watching the Giro it looks like the pros are quite good at on-the-bike nature breaks. I wonder if there is an online tutorial on best technique. I am guessing YouTube is NOT going to show this.
Old 05-05-24, 06:55 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 12010 Post(s)
Liked 6,756 Times in 3,529 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Weird ride today. 17 of us set out for Mulholland Drive, nobody went to the mountains because of wind. For some reason we went the wrong way from the start and when we stopped to get it straightened out, we encountered a group who left our club before 2020. Got to see some old friends and shake a few hands, which felt good.

Finally got going on Mulholland but came to a closure where a crew was working on a landslide and they weren't letting anyone through. I checked last night and there was no mention of the closure on the road closure page. We turned around and dropped down a beat-up canyon with sand and broken pavement and went into Beverly Hills for a coffee. Supercars raced by with open exhaust sounds. The worst driver we dealt with was in tour bus,, though.

Since we were off route, nobody had anything loaded on a Garmin so deciding where to go was a pain. We split up and I wanted to go with one group but missed it when they turned off. No problem, I like the other route and it has some good climbing. Unfortunately the riders on that route were not leaders and it turned into a cluster****.

A woman who is a good climber went to the front and missed a turn and a guy went with her. The rest of us chased until she stopped. Someone told her how to get back to the turn and she hammered away with one guy in tow. Miles of climbing, some of it steep, was ahead. She was gone and I found out later she dropped the guy and got lost again. I got tired of riding with the few riders I was with after a bunch of crazy stuff so I set off alone. Later I was waiting at a red light on top of the ridge and lost girl shows up. Tells me she found the rest of the group and they told her I dropped them. That's something I don't hear very often.

She wanted to wait for the others and when they got there they wanted to go a different way than we had decided on. Great. Just 3 of us went to the end from there and we stayed together even though she needed a little counseling.

Some of these riders need a leader, or at least a route in their Garmin, or they get silly.
OMG Great example of why I never was much for riding in groups. It has all the elements I hate: unexpected climbs, indecisions, bad decisions, not MY decisions, etc.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-05-24, 07:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked 3,295 Times in 1,728 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It’s a cold and rainy morning. I am being lazy and watching the Giro.
It is also raining pretty heavy in San Diego this morning, and I am reading live updates from the Giro. Looks like the elevation profile will be cause for some excitement fairly soon.

I had planned on riding my TT bike outside for an easy hour this morning, but it looks like it's going to be ITG
Old 05-05-24, 08:08 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8376 Post(s)
Liked 9,225 Times in 4,546 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
OMG Great example of why I never was much for riding in groups. It has all the elements I hate: unexpected climbs, indecisions, bad decisions, not MY decisions, etc.
Of the thousands of club rides I've done, it's rare for one to be this disorganized. It started weird and got weirder. When the faster hammerheads decided to cancel their ride and come with us that added another element. Then the road closure caused all the personalities to come out.

My friend who was with the other group after we split up, the group I wanted to be with, wrote to me last night. He said there were arguments, wrong turns, and guys leaving the ride in anger. Worse than the confusion in our group. Oh well. Nobody got hurt and I'm sure we can all still ride together again.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-05-24, 09:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by BillyD
I love riding with a small cohesive group of friends. We trust each other, know each other’s quirks, and share the work and the joy. On the other hand, riding with a group of disparate riders with different goals and sense of what’s “safe/unsafe” is to be avoided.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-05-24, 10:13 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

A lot of larger clubs have fixed routes (which may rotate) and different group/levels as well, which helps keeps things organized and predictable. The San Diego Bicycle club has 5 or so regular Saturday rides and even some pre-ride consultation for the developmental rides (D1-D3), and ride leaders for everything but the A ride. They are all well attended.
Old 05-05-24, 10:35 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Funny, 3 hours ago I woke to see the skies very dark/gloomy, and raining quite heavily. Now, it's sunny, warm and mostly dry on the ground. Good thing I decided to ride the trainer while it was still raining .

I guess one bonus is that I got the ride knocked out while Liz and baby were still sleeping. So now she doesn't need to watch baby while I get my hour of training in later, which will be a nice surprise for them both. So at least there's that.
Old 05-05-24, 10:42 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by DougRNS
I like. I'm trying to up my jazz-fusion game.
Oh and I forgot to mention - John Scofield has a bunch of good stuff if you enjoyed that. His background is hard bob/straight-ahead jazz with some of the biggest names out there, but then he moved into a fusion / jam band kind of style, and there is a ton of great content out there. I recommend the "A Go Go" album, or anything he did with Medeski Martin and Wood (also worth checking out)

EDIT: like this. Isn't really fusion IMO (unlike much of their collective music), it's just a lot of fun

Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-05-24, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by datlas
I love riding with a small cohesive group of friends. We trust each other, know each other’s quirks, and share the work and the joy. On the other hand, riding with a group of disparate riders with different goals and sense of what’s “safe/unsafe” is to be avoided.
One reason I got sick of leading BCP rides was because of all the goofiness that went on. One thing that really annoyed me was people who would ride off the front and miss turns because they refused to follow cue sheets. (GPS was rarer back then.). I started telling people pre-ride that I would not chase them down. Then you had the people off the front who would come to a T intersection and stop, waiting for directions, and impede those of us who were following the cue sheet.

And don’t get me started on the people who had to use the bathroom just when we were ready to start or leave a 10 min. stop. Most of them had been gabbing away instead of attending to needs.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-05-24, 11:19 AM
rv_biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been reading more about AI lately. Makes me wonder how long until bicycle manufacturers start adding it to bikes somehow. Maybe AI-guided shifting? Or maybe my bike warns me before I do something stupid? Not sure I would want that though. I already think Siri yacks too much.
Old 05-05-24, 11:33 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Phillies scored 14 last night. The As scored 20 in their game.
Unless it was a 20 to 19 final the As shoulda saved some of those runs for another game, they need all the help they can get

Glad to see the Astros still at the bottom of the Division. Sad that the Angels are giving them some company though.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-05-24 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-05-24, 12:14 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 2,015 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Oh and I forgot to mention - John Scofield has a bunch of good stuff if you enjoyed that. His background is hard bob/straight-ahead jazz with some of the biggest names out there, but then he moved into a fusion / jam band kind of style, and there is a ton of great content out there. I recommend the "A Go Go" album, or anything he did with Medeski Martin and Wood (also worth checking out)

EDIT: like this. Isn't really fusion IMO (unlike much of their collective music), it's just a lot of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdj9kdpghEQ

some Larry Carlton for ya … really gets cookin at around the 2 minute mark

the album this is on is outstanding - has some easy listening stuff and some where it is ramped up

Likes For t2p:
Old 05-05-24, 12:23 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
such a beautiful day today, i decided to ignore all the injuries and ailments and moving work to do, took a bunch of ibuprofen, and went for a ride on the aethos. it hardly would qualify as a ride by last year’s standards (18 miles, 800 feet, 15mph) but it felt good. no arrhythmia. ribs hurt but completely tolerable.

i’ve only been riding eBikes lately, and while they’re nice e-bikes. there is definitely something magical about a completely silent 14lb road bike that fits me perfectly. it just disappears under you.

mood improved by about 100%. not sure if that’s addiction or therapeutic?

Last edited by mschwett; 05-05-24 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 05-05-24, 01:23 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3544 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I haven't paid much attention to routes on strava, but it seems I can't look for segments on a map anymore. Weird.
The Strava segments-on-map feature's there, but you have to work at it:

Old 05-05-24, 01:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by terrymorse
The Strava segments-on-map feature's there, but you have to work at it:

Yeah I was messing with that last night and couldn't get any to show, tried all kindsa zoom levels, making sure parameters were set to include maximum number of segments, then clicking the big orange Done button and still nada.

Just now realized you also have to actually click on the word Segments and make it turn orange, THEN you'll see them. Derp

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-05-24 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-05-24, 02:05 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8908 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,775 Posts
Another weekend with no rest.
Now I'm working on the new house.
Likes For DougRNS:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.