Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

WTF is happening to roadie outfits/brands? more flashy more expensive?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

WTF is happening to roadie outfits/brands? more flashy more expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-24, 05:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,089 Times in 1,972 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Check out some more then. There must be some high-end options that you would like.
I may go to a local apparel store that does custom work to see if they make cycling jerseys. It'll probably cost about the same as the hot shot name brands.
Old 05-05-24, 05:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Liked 5,719 Times in 2,887 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
The higher price jerseys that I've looked at just don't appeal to me with the color options & logos.
Different strokes, right? To me, the 7mesh and Rapha jerseys are about as tasteful as it gets. Unfortunately for me they aren't sized for fat guys. I understand it, nobody wants Lampre Man as a "brand ambassador."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-05-24, 06:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 5,074 Times in 3,129 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Different strokes, right? To me, the 7mesh and Rapha jerseys are about as tasteful as it gets. Unfortunately for me they aren't sized for fat guys. I understand it, nobody wants Lampre Man as a "brand ambassador."
Yeah, 7-Mesh are not in the slightest bit flashy with their minimalist logos and muted colours. Rapha are also pretty understated, especially their Classic and Brevet lines. I love their merino classic spring/autumn jerseys.

I must admit I had not considered potential sizing issues as Medium or Large standard sizing usually fits me fine. I guess fat guys who want close fitting high end gear require custom fitting. I don’t know if that even exists with performance cycling gear?
Old 05-05-24, 07:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

We fat guys don't need to be wearing close fitting, it's too revealing! The problem is more that if the jersey is large enough for the belly, it's so long it hangs off the butt.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-05-24, 07:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,596 Times in 4,236 Posts
The feel of mutiple $125-175 jerseys that I have either tried on or owned has been top tier. Genuinely fantastic feeling when compared to generic quick dry t-shirts and $25 Amazon style jerseys I have felt/tried.

But none of those expensive jerseys have been super comfortable from a fit perspective. They have all been effectively race cut, even when they detailed sizing says otherwise.

I have found my sweet spot is regular fit TwinSix jerseys that are on frequent sale discounted down to $55-70 from $110 originally, Voler Peloton jerseys on sale for $60-75 from whatever the full price is...like $110, and Rapha lightweight core when on sale for $55-70.
These are a mix of fit, martial, and quality that work for me at a price range I think is pretty darn good.

I am 6'5 225# and am an XL in Voler and TwinSix, an XXL In Rapha.
Some day I will fit into the XXL OrNot Small Monsters jersey I bought a year ago. Really nice materials and creative design, but their race fit cut is a sausage casing on me.
Old 05-06-24, 05:28 AM
TX_master

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Here's this year's team kit. I will donate it at the end of the season. Pactimo seems to change their stitching patterns and fit slightly each year, which is a bit annoying TBH. Not sure if that is affecting other bulk orders.

For the secondary kit items, I love Defeet stuff! Esp the wool socks. But also: warmers, gloves etc.

Ahh - SDBC! I remember my days fondly riding with them. Looks like they've changed primary colors. Here's a pic of me during the 1999 Death Valley to Mt. Whitney stage race (don't think they hold that anymore, not sure)

Back then team kit was Voler, which was fine IMO. These days I don't race anymore and my bike is my gym substitute and not really a social outlet for me either. Rides are generally not longer than 40 miles and pretty high intensity so not on the bike for super long periods. For those reasons and because I ride a lot so need a lot of gear, I rely on less expensive stuff and spend more money on the bike itself.
Likes For TX_master:
Old 05-06-24, 07:24 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The feel of mutiple $125-175 jerseys that I have either tried on or owned has been top tier. Genuinely fantastic feeling when compared to generic quick dry t-shirts and $25 Amazon style jerseys I have felt/tried.

But none of those expensive jerseys have been super comfortable from a fit perspective. They have all been effectively race cut, even when they detailed sizing says otherwise.

I have found my sweet spot is regular fit TwinSix jerseys that are on frequent sale discounted down to $55-70 from $110 originally, Voler Peloton jerseys on sale for $60-75 from whatever the full price is...like $110, and Rapha lightweight core when on sale for $55-70.
These are a mix of fit, martial, and quality that work for me at a price range I think is pretty darn good.

I am 6'5 225# and am an XL in Voler and TwinSix, an XXL In Rapha.
Some day I will fit into the XXL OrNot Small Monsters jersey I bought a year ago. Really nice materials and creative design, but their race fit cut is a sausage casing on me.
I hated Rapha, but I love PNS. 6'2'' 170lbs here and I wear L in their race fit (Mechanism) and M in their more relax fit (Essential). Most comfortable jerseys I've ever worn. It feels like I'm not wearing anything.
Old 05-06-24, 07:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked 3,295 Times in 1,728 Posts
Originally Posted by TX_master
Ahh - SDBC! I remember my days fondly riding with them. Looks like they've changed primary colors. Here's a pic of me during the 1999 Death Valley to Mt. Whitney stage race (don't think they hold that anymore, not sure)

Back then team kit was Voler, which was fine IMO. These days I don't race anymore and my bike is my gym substitute and not really a social outlet for me either. Rides are generally not longer than 40 miles and pretty high intensity so not on the bike for super long periods. For those reasons and because I ride a lot so need a lot of gear, I rely on less expensive stuff and spend more money on the bike itself.
Very cool photo! You cool if I share that with the board? I'm on the BoD as the men's elite team director. I've been a racer with SDBC for the last 6 or 7 years, and we've been red, green, and now blue/orange in that time. It changes with title sponsor.

Come drop in on a Saturday ride if you're ever in town visiting!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-06-24, 07:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked 3,295 Times in 1,728 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
It feels like I'm not wearing anything.

sry, I had to
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-06-24, 07:47 AM
TX_master

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Very cool photo! You cool if I share that with the board? I'm on the BoD as the men's elite team director. I've been a racer with SDBC for the last 6 or 7 years, and we've been red, green, and now blue/orange in that time. It changes with title sponsor.

Come drop in on a Saturday ride if you're ever in town visiting!
Sure I don't mind. I'm going to be in SoCal in early June for a trade show in Long Beach. But the weekend prior I'm going to be in San Diego to play a little golf with an old buddy so not sure I can make the mornings but I might bring my bike along anyway. Does Eddie Gonzalez still ride with SDBC? He was a good riding friend back in the day and if I brought my bike I was going to see if he wanted to do an afternoon coffee ride but IDK. If he sees that pic he'll know who it is. Ask him about our friend Homey the Clown.

I should add that it seems a bit more organized now. Back then if you raced you raced and if you didn't you didn't. But for those that did race there wasn't much coordination being done by the club. You were sort of on your own. For Death Valley - Mt. Whitney there was a group of 4 or 5 us that trained together on the weekends for a few months leading up to it but this was done on our own initiative. A couple of other club members that didn't do the race came and supported us, but again that was on their own and we had people racing across two different categories so providing real time support across the first day 80 mile stage was not realistic - hence the seat bag w/tube and tire levers. That pic was taken by one of the support folks who did a drive by on me.

Last edited by TX_master; 05-06-24 at 07:56 AM.
Likes For TX_master:
Old 05-07-24, 02:08 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I’m a little bit confused now: you’ve been claiming that the “high-end” jerseys are no better than your cheapies. Is that the argument? Because now you seem to be arguing that they’re just not worth the asking prices - which is a very different thing. “Worth“ is subjective. If you’re stating that those jerseys are not “worth it” to you, you’ll get no argument for me. But hopefully you can acknowledge that for other riders – – people who have other priorities and goals, who ride longer distances and perhaps on different terrain, and who have different budgets – – those expensive jerseys may be “worth it.”.
It's a little bit of all of that.

Just participated in a gravel race over the weekend. I rode 116 miles in my Primal jersey and didn't die. Matter of fact during the course of the race I saw numerous Primal jerseys and didn't see one Rapha, Assos or any other high dollar jersey. The gravel folks must be a cheaper breed of people.

I’ll add this: if you’ve only ever tried on these jerseys in stores, you should have at least noticed that they are made of better textiles, they fit better, etc.
Nope. Never noticed any of that. Matter of fact some of the real expensive ones fit for crap and were uncomfortable.

you might notice that it wicks moisture and regulates body temperature better, that it has less extraneous fabric to flap in the breeze, that the pockets are easier to access and hold things more securely, that it does not ride up in back or droop down like a cheap jersey, etc.
I have not had any of these issues with my cheaper cycling jerseys. If I did...I would definitely be looking around at different jersey's.

I'm thinking trendy has more to do with the high prices than the actual material quality and fit. Like many other thing we buy in life...Price (especially when it comes to apparel) is not always a good indicator of quality. It's merely a case of buying an assumed brand name and paying too much for it when there are existing alternatives that are just as good but cost less.

Those expensive Rapha Jerseys...Made in China.
Old 05-07-24, 03:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7087 Post(s)
Liked 11,207 Times in 4,784 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm thinking trendy has more to do with the high prices than the actual material quality and fit. Like many other thing we buy in life...Price (especially when it comes to apparel) is not always a good indicator of quality. It's merely a case of buying an assumed brand name and paying too much for it when there are existing alternatives that are just as good but cost less.
For the umpteenth (and perhaps last) time: your opinion is, by your own admission, completely uninformed by any actual experience using the "high end" jerseys. The fact that you don't feel a need for anything better than Primal Wear does not mean that there is nothing better.

What's the problem with that? (And if you claim that China is somehow incapable of manufacturing high quality apparel to Rapha's specifications, I'm gonna laugh pretty hard.)

Last edited by Koyote; 05-07-24 at 03:11 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-07-24, 03:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked 8,314 Times in 3,926 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The fact that you don't feel a need for anything better than Primal Wear does not mean that there is nothing better.
To be fair, the current top-end of Primal's jerseys (Alitos series) looks like they could be pretty good. I certainly recall their older stuff being in the ood-to-comical range.
Old 05-07-24, 03:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked 7,504 Times in 3,023 Posts
Just participated in a gravel race over the weekend. I rode 116 miles in my Primal jersey and didn't die. Matter of fact during the course of the race I saw numerous Primal jerseys and didn't see one Rapha, Assos or any other high dollar jersey. The gravel folks must be a cheaper breed of people.
I've seen all brands of jerseys at gravel races. I'm guessing you only see what you want to see.
My Rapha jersey is higher quality than my Primal jerseys. It wasn't expensive, and it wasn't manufactured in China. My wife's Primal jerseys were made in China.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 05-07-24 at 04:08 PM.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-07-24, 04:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7087 Post(s)
Liked 11,207 Times in 4,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
To be fair, the current top-end of Primal's jerseys (Alitos series) looks like they could be pretty good. I certainly recall their older stuff being in the ood-to-comical range.
I'm thinking the poster's Primal Wear jerseys are of the latter types.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
My Rapha jersey is higher quality than my Primal jerseys. It wasn't expensive, and it wasn't manufactured in China.
I have some Rapha jerseys that were made in China, and they are of the same exceptional quality as any of their other gear. Anyone who is surprised by that, or doesn't believe it, obviously doesn't understand much about (1) China, and (2) modern manufacturing.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-07-24, 04:15 PM
PeteHski

At $150 they would need to be pretty good.
Old 05-07-24, 04:19 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11454 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,803 Posts
My team kit is Cuore, which is a Swiss company, made in China. Good stuff. Club stuff is Alchemist, made in China, also good stuff. RUSA stuff is Voler. I went with their best offering, made in USA, seems OK. We'll see.
Old 05-07-24, 04:24 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 3,093 Times in 1,759 Posts
Q

It's a little bit of all of that.

Nope. Never noticed any of that. Matter of fact some of the real expensive ones fit for crap and were uncomfortable.

I have not had any of these issues with my cheaper cycling jerseys. If I did...I would definitely be looking around at different jersey's.

You apparently missed my earlier post (#136). Quoting myself:

Not to be sexist about it, but I suspect you and I are ill-equipped to judge clothing quality, other than maybe dungarees.

A girlfriend once closely examined a high-end Italian jersey of mine. She expressed surprise at how beautifully constructed it was and at the quality of both the material and the stitching.

She asked me how much it cost. When I told her, she said, "If this were women's fashion clothing, it would cost at least twice as much."
Old 05-07-24, 04:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

At $150 they would need to be pretty good.
That seems to be in the range for a lot of other brands, as well. Personally, I'm a fan of "archive sales" (or similar).
Old 05-07-24, 04:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by LAJ
RUSA stuff is Voler. I went with their best offering, made in USA, seems OK. We'll see.
My team/club kits are made by Voler. I find their stuff to be pretty good, but still missing a couple of details that would make them better. They don't have reinforcing at the top of the pockets, and I've had a couple of jerseys start to tear at those points. Their zippers are not all that good. The bibs are also pretty good, but not excellent. At my two most recent 6-hour(ish) gravel races, the bibs were fine.
Old 05-07-24, 05:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Matter of fact during the course of the race I saw numerous Primal jerseys and didn't see one Rapha, Assos or any other high dollar jersey.
That's not surprising at all. High end isn't for everyone. But kudos for being able to scope everyone's jersey. I usually have tunnel vision, focused on the next killer washout or pothole.
Old 05-07-24, 05:37 PM
PeteHski

That seems to be in the range for a lot of other brands, as well. Personally, I'm a fan of "archive sales" (or similar).
Sure, but it’s not exactly budget pricing. That’s in the price range of Rapha jerseys, so I would expect comparable quality.

Yes sales are always welcome, although often limited in colours and sizes. I have compromised on colour choice before to save money eg. Assos bib shorts in navy at half the price of the same ones in black. I even bought some Rapha bib shorts in brown because they were heavily discounted. They wouldn’t have been my first choice, but they actually look pretty good. I won’t compromise on sizing though. Sometimes I just pay full price for an item I really like with no compromise.
Old 05-07-24, 05:49 PM
PeteHski

I don’t know about gravel races, but I see plenty of Rapha and Assos at every road event I enter. Where was this race where nobody was wearing a high-end jersey?
Old 05-07-24, 10:49 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3540 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 1,851 Posts
My team/club kits are made by Voler. I find their stuff to be pretty good, but still missing a couple of details that would make them better. They don't have reinforcing at the top of the pockets, and I've had a couple of jerseys start to tear at those points. Their zippers are not all that good. The bibs are also pretty good, but not excellent. At my two most recent 6-hour(ish) gravel races, the bibs were fine.
The Voler Velocity bibs are my current favorite, though pricey. Only available for Factory Racing Team and Paisan kits, though. But I don’t care what the look like.

Their custom bibs are so so.

Old 05-07-24, 11:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Sure, but it’s not exactly budget pricing. That’s in the price range of Rapha jerseys, so I would expect comparable quality.

Yes sales are always welcome, although often limited in colours and sizes. I have compromised on colour choice before to save money eg. Assos bib shorts in navy at half the price of the same ones in black. I even bought some Rapha bib shorts in brown because they were heavily discounted. They wouldn’t have been my first choice, but they actually look pretty good. I won’t compromise on sizing though. Sometimes I just pay full price for an item I really like with no compromise.
I haven’t seen the top Primal jersey in person, so I can’t judge any more than images, but it the pics and video I’ve seen seem to indicate that they might be expanding into a higher level.

I’ve bumped into the sales limitations with some of the brands I’ve been interested in, but I’ve also scored a lot of good to really nice stuff at attractive prices in normal colors (my tastes are pretty mild) that fit me really well from Le Col, La Passione, and Pactimo. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.