Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Columbus Tubing Nova

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 10:17 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 638 Posts
Columbus Tubing Nova

I've read some mixed stuff on this brand (actually not mixed, all bad), that the Columbus tubing sticker is not actually what the frame is made out of. Anyway, I picked this up today at a typical garage sale price, just for the Dura Ace components and the Thomson seat post.

Before I toss the carcass when I am done, I thought I would check here. Bike came with boxes of tools and parts, so I will be replenishing my bike fund on this one.

Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 05-12-24, 02:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,118 Times in 1,773 Posts
Sure looks like an aluminum frame, so not sure what "the Columbus tubing sticker is not actually what the frame is made out of" means. Do you mean that Columbus maybe sourced the tubing from another manufacturer and simply renamed it? Whatever the concern, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

That said: nice score. Looks like about 53 cm. My size. If I didn't already have all the aluminum race frames I'll ever need, I'd consider buying that one. Steel Columbus frames are sentimental favorites for a lot of people, but I'd prefer a Columbus aluminum frame for the superior torsional stiffness as well as the coolness factor.
Old 05-12-24, 08:52 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 638 Posts
I searched prior discussions on NOVAs and apparently there were issues on whether the tubing was legit or not. Still, I can't keep the frame, so if it has some value to make packing worth the effort, I will attempt to move to another home. I have picked up five bikes in the last couple days plus boxes full of tools and parts. I am leaving the west to return to NC in three days. And I already had five bikes to take back with me. So it's a bit overwhelming. I have a list of bikes that need to go back, those five plus five more. I probably can't fit ten, but more than five would be helpful.

Before I depart, the co op will be getting a lot of stuff which is fine too.