Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Width Clincher vs Tubeless

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 06:32 AM
byrd48

Bikes: Dave Kirk Custom, Clockwork Bikes Custom, Batavus Course Specialized HardRock x2 Trek 700 MultiTrack 1991 Trek 950 SingleTrack. Miyata Three Ten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,
I have a set of 21mm internal width rims, have ridden them for about a year with Conti 5000 25mm clinchers. I measured the tire width with calipers at 29mm installed. I replaced those tires with Conti 5000 28 TR tubeless ready tires, but with tubes. I measured those at 29mm installed. Would that make sense that both tires are measuring at the same width?
Thanks!
Jon
Old 05-19-24, 06:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,773 Times in 2,913 Posts
If you know how to use a caliper (joke- some here don't) and you measure both tires at appropriate PSI, then it is what it is.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-24, 07:12 AM
byrd48

Bikes: Dave Kirk Custom, Clockwork Bikes Custom, Batavus Course Specialized HardRock x2 Trek 700 MultiTrack 1991 Trek 950 SingleTrack. Miyata Three Ten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you know how to use a caliper (joke- some here don't) and you measure both tires at appropriate PSI, then it is what it is.
I trust the caliper, just trying to understand why no increase in width, if it's something between clinchers and tubeless. In other words, how did I gain anything if the tires have the same width and height? Maybe the rubber is just thicker.
Old 05-19-24, 07:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,795 Posts
I understood that reference.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-19-24, 07:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,773 Times in 2,913 Posts
Your pre-tubeless 5000 measured larger than nominal. That was my experience as well. The TLR is a different tire and apparently measures closer to nominal. Maybe others can report their experience but I think you are correct to attribute it to different construction.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-24, 08:00 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by byrd48
I trust the caliper, just trying to understand why no increase in width, if it's something between clinchers and tubeless. In other words, how did I gain anything if the tires have the same width and height? Maybe the rubber is just thicker.
If you’re not going tubeless, you gained weight, since the 5000 tubeless weigh around 50 grams more than the tubed version. I’ve read the tubeless versions have thicker stronger sidewalls, which makes sense to me, give there’s no tube to help provide sidewall support.
Old 05-19-24, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,945 Times in 3,405 Posts
How much tire pressure did you have each filled to when you measured? You also might ride the current ones for a year and measure again.

Probably a bunch of little things all adding up to make the results you see.
Old 05-19-24, 10:00 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Hi,
I have a set of 21mm internal width rims, have ridden them for about a year with Conti 5000 25mm clinchers. I measured the tire width with calipers at 29mm installed. I replaced those tires with Conti 5000 28 TR tubeless ready tires, but with tubes. I measured those at 29mm installed. Would that make sense that both tires are measuring at the same width?
Thanks!
Jon
When Conti introduced the 5000S TR they also shrunk them to measure close to their nominal size when mounted on modern wider rims. The older 5000 was sized for narrower rims, so they would measure over-size on wider rims like yours. The older 25 mm tyres would measure true to size on narrow rims.
Old 05-19-24, 01:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,231 Posts
Your pre-tubeless 5000 measured larger than nominal. .
I mounted Conti GP 5000 S TR sized 28MM to my Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37 rims. When installed with tubes, they were exactly 28mm. When installed tubeless they are 30 mm, both times at 70-80 psi
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-19-24, 02:08 PM
byrd48

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski
When Conti introduced the 5000S TR they also shrunk them to measure close to their nominal size when mounted on modern wider rims. The older 5000 was sized for narrower rims, so they would measure over-size on wider rims like yours. The older 25 mm tyres would measure true to size on narrow rims.
that’s interesting! I noticed when I took the 25s off, there was quite a bit of abrasion on the sidewalls. I’ve wondered if the wider rims exposed the sidewalls on tires because a 25 was really expanding to 29. I presume the changes you mention will alleviate that.
Old 05-19-24, 03:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,231 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is exactly correct with my experience. I have an older set of Conti GP4S tires 28mm, non-tubeless, on my gravel bike road wheels. The wheels are WTB i23, so 23 mm wide. The tires measure at 31 mm at 70-80 psi. On older 19mm wide Mavic CXP-33 rims, they ran 28.
Old 05-19-24, 03:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Abrasion on the sidewalls might be you run them with insufficient tire pressure.

However for a 21mm internal width rim, a 25mm tire is about as narrow a tire you should put on that rim. A tire that is too narrow for the rim it's on is probably more of a issue than a tire that is too wide for a rim.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-19-24 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-19-24, 07:08 PM
byrd48

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's certainly been a journey with these new wider rims. The rims are hooked and they state max pressure 75psi for my weight. At that pressure, with 25mm tires, I immediately got pinch flats, like 6 in three months. So I started upping the pressure eventually landing on 85 front, 90 rear, which seemed to stop the pinch flats, but now I'm going more than what the rim says I should, and closer to what I was running on narrow rims.
So moving up to 28 should also in theory have alleviated the problem, larger tire and lower pressure. However now that I install the tire, it's the same width and height as what the 25 was, so either I need to run these at the same pressure, or maybe hopefully they are just more durable since they are not expanding beyond their intended width. At any rate, the silca calculator says I should be able to run them in the 60s, but I just can't see that happening, even tubeless. If tubeless will let me get that low, then I'll switch!
Old 05-19-24, 08:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 799 Posts
byrd48 What's the difference between "clincher" and "tubeless"? Aren't they both clincher - one being used with a tube, one without? It's not like one is a clincher and the other a tubular aka sewup. Or am I missing something?
Old 05-20-24, 03:37 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
It's certainly been a journey with these new wider rims. The rims are hooked and they state max pressure 75psi for my weight. At that pressure, with 25mm tires, I immediately got pinch flats, like 6 in three months. So I started upping the pressure eventually landing on 85 front, 90 rear, which seemed to stop the pinch flats, but now I'm going more than what the rim says I should, and closer to what I was running on narrow rims.
So moving up to 28 should also in theory have alleviated the problem, larger tire and lower pressure. However now that I install the tire, it's the same width and height as what the 25 was, so either I need to run these at the same pressure, or maybe hopefully they are just more durable since they are not expanding beyond their intended width. At any rate, the silca calculator says I should be able to run them in the 60s, but I just can't see that happening, even tubeless. If tubeless will let me get that low, then I'll switch!
Well you won’t get any pinch flats if you run tubeless at the Silca recommended pressures. I’m currently running 30 mm 5000S TR tyres at around 65 psi on 22mm internal rims. No issues and I weigh 80 kg and our roads are full of potholes.
Old 05-20-24, 04:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,598 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
byrd48 What's the difference between "clincher" and "tubeless"? Aren't they both clincher - one being used with a tube, one without? It's not like one is a clincher and the other a tubular aka sewup. Or am I missing something?
Both are clincher but many tires come in two different builds, one for tube and one designed for tubeless (aka Tubeless Ready)

tires designed for tubeless have stiffer sidewalls in general and the tires designed for tubes are generally lighter

If you plan on only using tubes there is no need to go to the tubeless ready (but you can use those with tubes)

https://www.continental-tires.com/pr...tem-ccb0832fbc

https://www.continental-tires.com/pr...pingDTacs=Road

Old 05-20-24, 04:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,598 Posts
use a tire pressure calculator I like the rene herse....super simple https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire...re-calculator/

Old 05-21-24, 07:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Camilo
I use to say the same thing. However most old definitions before tubeless was ever popularized described a clincher tire as having a tube.

So I've quit making that assertion. Even though to me the tire is physically pretty much the same. And many bicycle tire brands seem to use clincher to only refer to tires with tubes.
Old 05-21-24, 07:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

The rims are hooked and they state max pressure 75psi for my weight.
What rims do you have?

The rims say they have a max pressure of 75psi? Or are you getting this from some calculator that is only recommending what your PSI should be?

EDIT.... Not really necessary for me to know. I later found this other post that shows me some rims now put a max PSI on them for various tires. I hadn't ever seen that myself till now.

https://www.bikeforums.net/23237853-post5.html

Last edited by Iride01; 05-21-24 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-21-24, 10:34 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 49 Posts
A tubeless tire should let you go lower since the sidewall and carcass is more robust while not having issues with pinch flats or other things. You could also do the opposite of "supple" tires and get gatorskins/marathons or whatever thick casing/durable tire+tube you can find and run it at lower psi.
All I can say is either the hoop stress is too high with bigger tires at certain PSI, or companies are protecting themselves excessively and thus recommending low pressures. BITD my parents knew people running 150+psi on 21's. Or our rims magically turned into ****** aluminum, but I doubt that.