Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tipping mechanics

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tipping mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 10:28 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 357 Posts
Tipping mechanics

Hey guys, I ride a lot and break bikes a lot. Today, I went to the bike shop, and a guy who I consider a master at aligning gears (when the chain is dropping and the derailleurs need adjusting) was looking at my bikes. We were finishing the transaction, and I commented to him that I thought he was a wizard with aligning gears, and he was a little taken aback but said “you can always buy me a coke” or something along those lines.

what do you guys tip your wrench? I feel like I should def have something in addition to money to tip with when I come to pick up my bike. He is cool as hell and definitely deserves more than a Coca Cola. He wasn’t asking for cocain surely right?
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-21-24, 10:57 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 417 Posts
The problem with tipping is that it can be a slippery slope, from something nice but totally unnecessary to something that is considered an entitlement. I live and travel in places where tipping is not expected or considered rude or perturbing of the peace. In Japan, when I didn't have exact change for the street car fare, I waved to the conductor to keep the change. But no, he stopped the street car, got out of his seat and gave me my exact change in coins which was a pittance, really. I like it that way.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 05-21-24, 11:53 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 448 Posts
When the mech saves you a BUNCH of time, tip them.
$5 minimum.
I consider my time very valuable (at least $100/hr), so if you save me an hour, you're getting a percentage. (min 20%)
There's also a Rude fee that deducts from the time saving fee.

You save time or effort, the least you can do is buy them a beer (or appropriate beverage/snack)

If money's tight, don't worry about it.
Old 05-22-24, 12:27 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5993 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,625 Posts
You should not feel obligated to tip a mechanic, except maybe the student working part time, probably for minimum wage. Otherwise, he's a professional earning a wage, and not counting on tips.

If you want to tip, save it for when he does something above and beyond. Or maybe, bring a coke on a hot afternoon, or coffee in the AM.

IMO tipping skilled workers can be insulting, reminding them of wealth disparity, reminiscent of aristocrats tipping the shoeshine boy.

I still remember when I made the mistake of tipping a cabbie in Taipei. I was blasted to a long, loud invective in a language I didn't understand, but got the point.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-22-24, 04:17 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 732 Posts
As a former long term wrench (40 years) there is only one person I accepted a tip from. His name was Gary Nichols. I truly liked him and we had the same attitude towards bikes and bike maintenance. Outside of that I did not want to be beholden to anyone because with tips comes expectations. As for wealth disparity and aristocrats, that's quite the word salad.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-22-24, 07:12 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Hey guys, I ride a lot and break bikes a lot. Today, I went to the bike shop, and a guy who I consider a master at aligning gears ...
Used to do that sort of thing with an alignment shop, for a car I once had. The one tech was an absolute magician at getting it right, every time. I asked him if he'd be interested in coffee or some nibbles each time I arranged for an alignment (typically once every couple of years. He said "sure" ... and I always brought him one of his favorites. No idea if it improved the result, but the bit of thoughtfulness helped keep him happy (I think).

I generally don't tip. Except when it's out-of-the-way good and has been clearly earned.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 05-22-24, 07:26 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
Beverages and snacks are almost always appreciated. Nothing beats good old fashioned money though - most people who work with their hands, especially at bike shop wages, are not too proud to accept an actual cash tip. Just my two cents.
Old 05-22-24, 08:03 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,004 Posts
No, I do not tip mechanics at the basic shop. I have been known to tip at the local nonprofit coop and bike kitchens kinds of places.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-22-24, 08:53 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 200 Posts
Dot’s pretzels as a tip for the win.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 05-22-24, 12:02 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 74 Posts
With the **** wages mechanics make, any extra money as a tip helps. Otherwise beer is probably the most common choice. Best practice is to ask what they would prefer, I know my day wouldn't be improved by a gift of horribly bitter IPA, while plenty of other wrenches would be quite excited. And some don't drink at all.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 05-22-24, 12:18 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
You could always buy him some coke.

Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 05-22-24, 02:16 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
You could always buy him some coke.

in the NE, yeah.

In the NW.... Weed and associated products goes along way....
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 05-22-24, 03:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,019 Posts
I am going to say that tipping is a North American thing. Entry level employees are paid poverty wages and expected to make up the difference by somehow enticing customers to make an additional payment. When I travel to Europe, a tip is a small amount because the people who serve me are well paid, it is just a small thank you. A euro on the table is a thank you, 20 euros is an insult
Part of that is because almost anywhere minimum wage for tipped employees is much less than for hourly paid workers
Old 05-22-24, 05:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 4,229 Times in 2,829 Posts
I will agree that tipping culture is terrible and toxic in many cases but unfortunately it is the case in the U.S. as much as we would all love to be in Japan and get exact change and people are paid and treated better and all of that great stuff we are not there.

I don't mind getting a tip for good work and usually I share that tip with my staff or co-workers depending on my position. In the end some drinks on a hot day is quite nice or cash is fine or vegan baked goods are especially nice. Once a guy gave me a bottle of $250 wine which I still have and can't really do much with.

I think going crazy with a tip over small stuff can be a little insulting but if I can buy lunch for my co-workers or give that money to a worthy charity or something it isn't so bad.

I grew up in America so tipping is just normal but yeah figuring out how much to tip is ridiculous and knowing all the rules is tough so if we could go to a tipless society that would be cool or tipping because you want to tip not because it is sort of the need for employees and is looked down upon if you don't.

Heck in the summer time someone comes in the clutch with a nice cold Virgil's Cream Soda or Root Beer or a Maine Root Blueberry Soda and I am happy happy happy. That stuff is so good.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-22-24, 05:48 PM
bboy314

For those into podcasts, check out the Throughline episode “Land of the fee” for a pretty interesting dive into the history of tipping culture in America.
Old 05-22-24, 08:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 1,981 Times in 955 Posts
I have tipped on occasion for a job well done or expedited immediately.
How is this any different than getting a gift card for being the employee of the month from your manager?

Small shops have few perks.
Bringing in burritos at lunch time brings good will capital in the future.
Providing a box for free for shipping deserves a return favor.
Giving me a free discarded seat post for my MTB was greatly appreciated.

I imagine folks that work as mechs get a rash of $#!^ undeservingly from irate customers, I would rather be the guy that is seen as kind and appreciative.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-23-24, 04:55 AM
hidetaka

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
How is this any different than getting a gift card for being the employee of the month from your manager?
The difference is that it's owner/manager's job to pay their employees. The more you normalize tipping the more the tips become expected and then required, until all mechanics' wages are dependent on goodwill of strangers instead of regular paychecks. On the plus side I'm sure business owners will pass those savings onto you
Likes For hidetaka:
Old 05-23-24, 05:26 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 443 Posts
I probably fail to tip a lot of different people that I should. The dental hygienist? Toll booth operators? Where does it end?

Four years a bit shop employee/mechanic, only got one "tip" when a customer gave me a couple of tickets to something, maybe a concert or sporting event (maybe he just did not want to go?)

That said, the place where I get my car serviced saves me a lot of money versus the dealer, very friendly, small place so it's 100% always the same people. Last month, when the office guy was totaling up the bill, I said to put another $25 on it "I'm paying for pizza today". I do not plan to do that every time.

Old 05-23-24, 08:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 654 Posts
I used to bring a passel of big chocolate chip cookies in the AM when the shop opened, and seemed to get a lot of traction from them, and occasionally tip a gift card to Starbucks.
Old 05-23-24, 08:41 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 203 Posts
I did tip an auto mechanic once. I was changing shocks on a minivan. I compressed the coil spring to get everything apart, but then lost confidence in the spring not killing me. Took the parts to the shop in a paper bag with my diy story. They obviously had a better spring compressor and did it lickity split. They charged me $20. I insisted they take $40. They said they admired me for knowing my limitations and seeking help.
​​​​​
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 05-23-24, 09:37 AM
bboy314

Originally Posted by hidetaka
The difference is that it's owner/manager's job to pay their employees. The more you normalize tipping the more the tips become expected and then required, until all mechanics' wages are dependent on goodwill of strangers instead of regular paychecks. On the plus side I'm sure business owners will pass those savings onto you
I doubt you’ll find a bike shop on earth whose employees get enough tips for this to be an issue. And if you’re referring to other industries, punishing employees by not tipping is a pretty heartless approach.
Old 05-23-24, 01:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,623 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I am going to say that tipping is a North American thing. Entry level employees are paid poverty wages and expected to make up the difference by somehow enticing customers to make an additional payment. When I travel to Europe, a tip is a small amount because the people who serve me are well paid, it is just a small thank you. A euro on the table is a thank you, 20 euros is an insult
Part of that is because almost anywhere minimum wage for tipped employees is much less than for hourly paid workers
Don't forget that at most restaurants in europe, a tip is automatically added to the bill

Old 05-23-24, 01:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,623 Posts
Never tipped but was known to drop off a six pack of Fat Tire now and then

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-23-24, 02:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5993 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,625 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Don't forget that at most restaurants in europe, a tip is automatically added to the bill
That's not a tip, it's a service charge.

The key difference is that a service charge is fixed and mandatory, while a tip is variable at the discretion of the patron, and voluntary even if customary.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-23-24, 02:32 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 772 Posts
I think in the US that tipping is becoming more and more a gray area but always appreciated and I always check the customs in other countries such as tipping the people that clean your hotel room is common elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.