Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Shocking hit and run in DFW

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Shocking hit and run in DFW

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-24, 11:06 AM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Why would 2 cyclists ride single-file when following and enjoying the draft of a single car where no other facilities or traffic exist?

It seems to me the run-down cyclists unwittingly prevented a rear-end collision between the Subaru and the vehicle with the camera.

There is absolutely nothing the run-down cyclists did wrong here. They were where they needed to be, plainly visible, central to the offending drivers focus of vision, and doing the same speed and direction as other traffic in the flow.

There is no scenario by which the cyclist can be at fault. Creating a narrative by which their actions can be questioned is disingenuous at best, malicious at worst...Excusing the Subaru? I'm disappointed.
Not talking about fault here. Just some common sense and not a sense of entitlement on the roads. I have found that if you respect the cars, they will respect you. I always do a wave to a passing car if I know they have done above and beyond to keep me safe.
Old 06-20-24, 11:17 AM
work4bike

Liked 1,208 Times in 905 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Would mirrors have made a little difference? Probably not, though the cyclists would have realized the imminent disaster.

If it were a truck--a truck driver--it's hard to imagine the consequences.
That's why it's important to practice your bunny-hopping skills

Old 06-20-24, 12:33 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Liked 1,877 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Not a car. The camera is clearly on a bicycle. The rider at the right wasn't in its draft.

Given that the cyclists would be much, more likely severely injured or even killed than somebody in a rear-ended car, your concern is weirdly misplaced.
The footage looked to stable to be from a bicycle. Given the prevalence of dashcams and rear facing license plate cams, etc...That the footage was from a bicycle didn't occur to me.

Not concerned about wrongful rear end collision of a car. Acknowledging a scenario where rear facing license plate cam made sense.

Originally Posted by howaboutme
Not talking about fault here. Just some common sense and not a sense of entitlement on the roads. I have found that if you respect the cars, they will respect you. I always do a wave to a passing car if I know they have done above and beyond to keep me safe.
How do you demonstrate respect to a road user that runs you down from behind in order to beg/garner respectful human treatment in their actions towards you? There doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunity presented to do so. Please do tell how a wave or friendly smile would have prevented this assault.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-20-24, 01:01 PM
howaboutme

How do you demonstrate respect to a road user that runs you down from behind in order to beg/garner respectful human treatment in their actions towards you? There doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunity presented to do so. Please do tell how a wave or friendly smile would have prevented this assault.
I guess you own the road when you're on your bike knowing that you are not on a mode of transportation that's on the top of the food chain? Let me guess, you also don't wave at other cyclists? Do you also not have insurance thinking "this won't happen to me"?

This incident is an extraordinary circumstance. Oftentimes, you can't use these types of circumstances and apply them to typical situations. (For example, plane's aren't built to defy gravity and not fall when there's a mechanical problem or a wing falls off. That's an extraordinary circumstance.) However, what you can do is use this as an opportunity to help make typical life better. Don't be an a$$ and take up the entire road when there are cars. There are certain things you can control. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or an aerospace engineer to know that cyclists traveling in a paceline, as close to the line as possible, will be safer then if they are were 2-wide in the middle of the lane.
Likes For howaboutme:
Old 06-20-24, 01:20 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,498 Times in 1,037 Posts
The footage looked to stable to be from a bicycle. Given the prevalence of dashcams and rear facing license plate cams, etc...That the footage was from a bicycle didn't occur to me.
You can see the rear wheel of the bicycle.

(It might not be exactly safe to follow a car at such a close distance anyway.)

It seems to me the run-down cyclists unwittingly prevented a rear-end collision between the Subaru and the vehicle with the camera.
This is a weird statement.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-20-24 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-20-24, 01:30 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Liked 358 Times in 221 Posts
Must not be rocket scentists:

Riding two abreast is safer when a group of riders are travelling on a road with one lane in each direction which are not wide enough for a motor vehicle to pass even a single rider while staying in the lane. When the driver already needs to move into the lane of oncoming traffic to make a safe pass, riding two-abreast will take up less distance on the road so once the way is clear the pass of a group of riders can be made quicker.

Is riding single file safer than riding two abreast?
Old 06-20-24, 01:38 PM
njkayaker

This incident is an extraordinary circumstance. Oftentimes, you can't use these types of circumstances and apply them to typical situations. (For example, plane's aren't built to defy gravity and not fall when there's a mechanical problem or a wing falls off. That's an extraordinary circumstance.) However, what you can do is use this as an opportunity to help make typical life better. Don't be an a$$ and take up the entire road when there are cars. There are certain things you can control. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or an aerospace engineer to know that cyclists traveling in a paceline, as close to the line as possible, will be safer then if they are were 2-wide in the middle of the lane.
Your problem is that your advice was't really germane to the thread topic. And the way you presented it implied you thought it was.

This isn't relevant and it's also gratuitous. It's possible the cyclists were doing exactly what you are recommending.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-20-24 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-20-24, 02:00 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

I guess you own the road when you're on your bike knowing that you are not on a mode of transportation that's on the top of the food chain? Let me guess, you also don't wave at other cyclists? Do you also not have insurance thinking "this won't happen to me"?

This incident is an extraordinary circumstance. Oftentimes, you can't use these types of circumstances and apply them to typical situations. Don't be an a$$ and take up the entire road when there are cars.
At issue here is you don't seem to think that a bicycle is an acceptable means of conveyance upon the roadway. I don't own the road. Neither do cars or car drivers. All persons have a right to the public thoroughfare. The car driver however poses a risk to others through negligent or unsafe operation of their vehicle. That is why the license exists.

I have a right to use the road. The driver has a license to use the road. That's the difference. If the driver is unwilling or unable to drive their vehicle in a manner that is respectful of the rights and liberties of others, he/she has no business operating a vehicle. Period.

These bike riders using the roadway is not an extraordinary circumstance. These cyclist had a right to be there. The same right as anybody else. What's extraordinary is the random assault they suffered at the driver's negligence.

No, I don't wave at others cyclists, or motorists for that matter. Means of conveyance does not make you special. Nor does it confer upon you any special privileges.

Stop making excuses for car derived supremacy. Start understanding human road users are human persons.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-20-24, 02:23 PM
Mtracer

Liked 433 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Not excusing the driver for his/her fault, but the bicycle riders could have gone through that section of roadway single file (two lanes, small shoulder area) or just avoided it all together.
No reason for the bikes to ride single file in this situation. The lane is in use by the bikes, there is no shoulder or other place for them to be. The car had an entire other lane to use and very light traffic.

Had I been riding this by myself, I would have been in the middle of that lane, "taking" or "claiming" the lane. In this case, there was no shoulder at all, trying to ride to the far right simply invites cars to try to squeeze past. Much better to make it clear they have to change lanes to get around you.

As for the reported drunk driver, all bets are off in that situation.
Old 06-20-24, 04:30 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Liked 287 Times in 133 Posts
Sorry but I didn't see any new reports that the driver had an excessive blood-alcohol level.
Now you have.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...289398032.html

Hylander told police he had drunk beer in Grapevine an hour earlier. The amount he said he drank changed as police were interviewing him, they said. Hylander was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. Results of a breathalyzer test showed his blood alcohol concentration was over 0.15, the minimum threshold for a second degree misdemeanor DWI charge. While searching Hylander’s car, police found six empty cans of Voodoo Ranger beer in a backpack behind the passenger seat. The car was towed and is being held for evidence.
In this Fox source there are photos of the empty cans, and it's specified that the motorist drank Voodoo Ranger Juice Force, which is 9.5% ABV. I've had this beer before, and it will get you lit.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/benjam...n-dallas-texas

And I forgot this is the A&S forum with its own particular bias.
Wanting motorists to drive responsibly and not kill people is a heck of a bias.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 06-20-24, 05:08 PM
njkayaker

Sorry but I didn't see any new reports that the driver had an excessive blood-alcohol level.
The details of these sorts of incidents often doesn't all come out at first. You could have waited before you passed judgement.

I'm wondering if bicycles might be prohibited on that section of road.
One report stated that the road is part of "a popular circuit for group rides" (suggesting that it's legal to ride there). Speculating about a place you don't know anything about doesn't seem that valuable.

The group was looping DFW Airport, a popular circuit for group rides.
Old 06-20-24, 05:17 PM
njkayaker

This is the approximate location (in the direction of the camera on the bike):

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uhaxz6GddNGrYqVS7

The speed limit is 45 mph.

The group was looping DFW Airport, a popular circuit for group rides.
Old 06-20-24, 05:40 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Liked 358 Times in 221 Posts
The entire thread seems to have presumed this occurred on a road with one lane in each direction, but I've thought they were riding in the right lane of a double-laned divided highway. The google maps link above seems to support this. Can anyone clarify?
Old 06-20-24, 05:44 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by cranky old road
The entire thread seems to have presumed this occurred on a road with one lane in each direction, but I've thought they were riding in the right lane of a double-laned divided highway.
No, you aren't paying enough attention. The thread isn’t doing the presuming you think it is

It’s a “divided highway@ with two lanes in each direction. Most people in this thread appear to have gotten that.

The google maps link above seems to support this. Can anyone clarify?
??? Why isn’t the link enough? It’s supposed to be the clarification.

It’s easy enough to match elements in the link to the video.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-20-24 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-20-24, 06:44 PM
howaboutme

Must not be rocket scentists:

Riding two abreast is safer when a group of riders are travelling on a road with one lane in each direction which are not wide enough for a motor vehicle to pass even a single rider while staying in the lane. When the driver already needs to move into the lane of oncoming traffic to make a safe pass, riding two-abreast will take up less distance on the road so once the way is clear the pass of a group of riders can be made quicker.

Is riding single file safer than riding two abreast?
Your problem is that your advice was't really germane to the thread topic. And the way you presented it implied you thought it was.

This isn't relevant and it's also gratuitous. It's possible the cyclists were doing exactly what you are recommending.
At issue here is you don't seem to think that a bicycle is an acceptable means of conveyance upon the roadway. I don't own the road. Neither do cars or car drivers. All persons have a right to the public thoroughfare. The car driver however poses a risk to others through negligent or unsafe operation of their vehicle. That is why the license exists.

I have a right to use the road. The driver has a license to use the road. That's the difference. If the driver is unwilling or unable to drive their vehicle in a manner that is respectful of the rights and liberties of others, he/she has no business operating a vehicle. Period.

These bike riders using the roadway is not an extraordinary circumstance. These cyclist had a right to be there. The same right as anybody else. What's extraordinary is the random assault they suffered at the driver's negligence.

No, I don't wave at others cyclists, or motorists for that matter. Means of conveyance does not make you special. Nor does it confer upon you any special privileges.

Stop making excuses for car derived supremacy. Start understanding human road users are human persons.
Appreciate all of the response. We are talking about opinions. Even the Canadian article seems to be based on anecdotes (it doesn't reference any study or other data). However, I do agree with much of what was written. My statements (opinion) is closely based on the 2nd part, where it may not be appropriate to do 2 wide. Like all opinions, you can't prove one opinion wrong with another opinion. That said, I respect everyone else's thoughts.

My last points on this that nothing can excuse drunk driving or other form of reckless driving. The driver is clearly at fault. However, I disagree (again, an opinion) with the notion that we cyclists are worth the same as cars. If we get hit, we may be dead. If a car gets hit, there is a good chance you will survive. As a result, I chose to always err on the side of caution even if I feel like I deserve more room or the right of way. To purposefully take the entire lane if you are a lone cyclist just begs for road rage.

The comments on this forum seem to be so negative and charged up and I got caught up in that.
Old 06-20-24, 06:52 PM
njkayaker

If we get hit, we may be dead. If a car gets hit, there is a good chance you will survive. As a result, I chose to always err on the side of caution even if I feel like I deserve more room or the right of way. To purposefully take the entire lane if you are a lone cyclist just begs for road rage.
You are basically assuming everybody here (and the cyclists in the video) are clueless idiots. And that you are the only person who has figured everything out.

There are times when taking the lane (even when solo) is the better option.

If you really want to eliminate road rage, your only option is to stay off the road.

You are coming across as advocating being overly conciliatory to drivers.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-20-24 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-20-24, 06:55 PM
howaboutme

You are basically assuming everybody here (and the cyclists in the video) are clueless idiots. And that you are the only person who has figured everything out.

There are times when taking the lane (even when solo) is the better option.

If you really want to eliminate road rage, your only option is to stay off the road.
Man, calm down. It's no use responding to you. Do you wake up on the wrong side of the bed every morning?
Old 06-20-24, 07:10 PM
njkayaker

Man, calm down. It's no use responding to you. Do you wake up on the wrong side of the bed every morning?
You should probably give up the internet. It’s definitely more than you can handle.
Old 06-20-24, 09:22 PM
vol

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
That's why it's important to practice your bunny-hopping skills

A step-through would be good for that.

He's lucky to be wearing a helmet. He hit his head.
Old 06-20-24, 10:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Appreciate all of the response. We are talking about opinions. Even the Canadian article seems to be based on anecdotes (it doesn't reference any study or other data). However, I do agree with much of what was written. My statements (opinion) is closely based on the 2nd part, where it may not be appropriate to do 2 wide. Like all opinions, you can't prove one opinion wrong with another opinion. That said, I respect everyone else's thoughts.

My last points on this that nothing can excuse drunk driving or other form of reckless driving. The driver is clearly at fault. However, I disagree (again, an opinion) with the notion that we cyclists are worth the same as cars. If we get hit, we may be dead. If a car gets hit, there is a good chance you will survive. As a result, I chose to always err on the side of caution even if I feel like I deserve more room or the right of way. To purposefully take the entire lane if you are a lone cyclist just begs for road rage.

The comments on this forum seem to be so negative and charged up and I got caught up in that.
I understand you are being conciliatory so I'm not going to badger you. What I did say were facts based on law. But, I'm giving you a mulligan on account of A) You don't have a lot of post history, and B) This incident further highlights the need for non-car-centric infrastructure and the infrastructure we do have should seperate out traffic by mode.

The take away here is unnecessary modal conflict by way of poor road design caused catastrophic consequences. You are correct that the root cause is the intermixing of cars with just about everything else. The solution is not removing bicycles. It is curtailing the unfettered freedom, impunity and disproportionate favorable treatment afforded to motor vehicles at the expense of everything else.

These cyclists are victims of car-dependency, poor government policy (on a variety of levels) and inadequate infrastructure. However much the individual actions of the driver factored into the collision, the stage was set for failure by local government the road engineer, and his engineering manuals. This is unacceptable.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 06-21-24, 12:34 AM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Here's a YT video of that hit. I hope the catch that SOB

https://youtu.be/gaU0mJKCtE8?si=hKYX5p6eysiaqoHn
This is more than a hit-n-run. Because the driver ran over one of the cyclists. While it wouldn't qualify for ATTEMPTED MURDER. It could certainly meet the standard for FELONIOUS ASSAULT.
Old 06-21-24, 01:03 AM
Duragrouch
Durable Senior Member

Liked 897 Times in 720 Posts
Blood alcohol reported as over 0.15: Gosh this is decades ago, but I thought I recall an article in Car & Driver where they actually set about doing a test on a closed skidpad, and I think by the time they got to (if my memory is correct) 0.08 which is the limit in many states, the test subjects were bombed, the conclusion of the article was that 0.08 limit is too high. Now, neither of the test subjects were heavy drinkers, but 0.15 sounds really high. Not doubting it, just that seems to me super bombed. I guess muscle memory allowed them to unlock their car, put the key in the ignition, and shift into drive. Witnesses following the car and alerting police, very high probability they saved others from harm. Bad enough, but could have been worse. And as implied above, American Airlines will investigate, and if not, the Transportation Security Administration, as this may revoke the driver's airport security clearance.
Old 06-21-24, 08:26 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Liked 1,746 Times in 864 Posts
Everyone knows that it is common for cyclists to feel entitled.
Uh, that's because cyclists are entitled. It's not a feeling either, it's the law. They are entitled to the road and are just as entitled as motor vehicles.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-21-24, 08:37 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Liked 1,746 Times in 864 Posts

You should read this with an open mind. How many accidents types can the risk be mitigated by being out in the lane? Really, answer that question. https://www.bicyclesafe.com/

It didn't take me long riding in traffic to realize that if I routinely relegated myself to the right edge of the road I had more close calls than I did when I rode out in the lane. Out in the lane is generally my default position, I'll gravitate toward the right when the circumstances warrant it.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-21-24, 09:08 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Liked 2,064 Times in 989 Posts
Let us not forget that according to the NIH 1.2% of the US population are psychopathic in a general sense but most are not actively looking to run down cyclists with 3 ton SUVS.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8374040/

As for me, I just try to limit my exposure that would put me in harms way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.