Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repair kit for long rides

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-24, 11:56 AM
Awesomeguy

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

What repair tools or items do you carry for long rides besides standard tube / flat fix .

What do you carry for chain issues?

Last edited by Awesomeguy; 09-17-24 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-17-24, 12:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,680 Times in 2,381 Posts
2 tubes
patch kit
co inflator
pump
spare chain
extra chain links
chain tool
nitrile gloves & cleaning wipes
power bank for cell phone
credit card
Old 09-17-24, 12:08 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,822 Times in 2,502 Posts

Old 09-17-24, 12:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,552 Times in 3,049 Posts
I would carry what I feel is needed and that I know how to use in an emergency situation. Carrying a ton of tools and not knowing how to use them may not be as helpful.

My tool kits can vary depending on the bike it is on but my general recommendation is a Crank Brothers M10, a Crank Brothers Speedier Lever and a Topeak Morph Pump and a C02 back up usually a Planet Bike Red Zeppelin with a glued patch kit with a couple glueless patches added in just in case and the proper sized tube(s).

However my favorite tool kit would be my Snap-On Mini Bit Ratchet with PB-Swiss bits in a custom magnetic bit holder and with the rest of the tire changing bits.
Old 09-17-24, 12:22 PM
wheelreason

Liked 957 Times in 556 Posts
Yeah, besides tubes, pump, levers, and patchkit, a multi tool with allens and phillip, a quick link, a bit of duct tape, and cell, cc and a bit of cash (along with my old expired driver's license.so they can identify my body). That is when riding in the boonies alone, on group rides, most folks bring half a bike shop, and I just provide the labor. I KISS (in all sports) so I hardly ever break down, (I just jinxed myself)...
Old 09-17-24, 12:25 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "long ride". Typically I have attached to all bikes, a pump or C02 tube, tire levers, bike specific multi tool, chain repair link, a few zip ties, nitrile gloves, some bandaids. That fits in a saddle bag.
On a tour, well, basically the same. May add a patch kit, extra tube, pump AND C02. That will take care of most issues, otherwise it goes beyond simple field repairs. Can't carry a whole tool box.

Edit: That's not ALL I take but specific to repair tools.

Last edited by WNCGoater; 09-17-24 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-17-24, 12:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,404 Times in 3,729 Posts
Yeah, you have to tell us what a long ride is for you.

For any ride I do on the road, 22 - 100 miles, I take the same stuff. A tube, CO2 inflator with 2 cartridges and a few hex keys and screwdriver points that fit the various fasteners on my bike.

For a trip of multiple days, I might take more. But if it's a ride that is supported by a spouse or other in a vehicle, then I'm still only carrying the stuff I carry for any daily ride.

Even for unsupported multi day trips, I don't have to take a shop with me. I figure I can get to a shop and let them do the work so I can just enjoy my time. But if you like fiddly maintenance on the side of the road. And that is more enjoyable. Then definitely take the stuff that gives you enjoyment.
Old 09-17-24, 02:01 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Liked 2,057 Times in 986 Posts
Depends. If I am riding on a closed mountain road with no rescue being possible, and a long hike-a-bike is possible, I'll bring a spare tire and choose SPD pedals and shoes along with extra water, food and an emergency blanket. Stuff happens.
Old 09-17-24, 02:15 PM
indyfabz

Liked 17,418 Times in 8,135 Posts
Nothing for chain issues.

Otherwise, hex wrench set and flat repair stuff. If touring, a pump, three tubes and a patch kit. If day riding, CO2 and a tube to put in my tubeless road bike tires in an emergency.
Old 09-17-24, 02:22 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
2 tubes
patch kit
co inflator
pump
spare chain
extra chain links
chain tool
nitrile gloves & cleaning wipes
power bank for cell phone
credit card
I love this type of thread because it allows me to post this clip. RIP James Earl Jones.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-17-24, 02:51 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Liked 473 Times in 295 Posts
Dr. Strangelove is one of the funniest, serious but totally far-fetched spoof movies ever made. Peter Seller's was spectacular in that flick!
Likes For drlogik:
Old 09-17-24, 02:57 PM
squirtdad 

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,474 Times in 1,820 Posts
for day rides

2 tubes or spare tubular and 30 ml selant
patch kit Rema Tip top (carry even with tubular in case someone needs help)
Crank broths m17 kit
combo metal lever, chain link tool and chain links
Tire boot if clincher
steel lever and plastic lever
spare valve and valve wrench
gloves, wipes, couple of band aids
c02 and 2 cartridges and Pump
if tight clincher on bike, VAR bead jack
2 water bottles
energy bar

longer rides or tougher areas add in more first aid stuff, emergency blanket more tubes or another tubular

Last edited by squirtdad; 09-17-24 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-17-24, 04:55 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by drlogik
Dr. Strangelove is one of the funniest, serious but totally far-fetched spoof movies ever made. Peter Seller's was spectacular in that flick!
IIRC, Sellers was nominated for Oscars for both parts. Many people don’t recognize Jones as the bombardier.

Have you ever seen “Failsafe”, which was released the same year? Same subject, but a totally different feel.
Old 09-17-24, 05:01 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Liked 473 Times in 295 Posts
On my daily rider I carry the same tool kit for long and short rides. Other than a spare tube and the small Park self-sticky patch kit I have:
-
  • PB Swiss multi-tool - Allen bits, handle, two tire levers in one package - PB Swiss IMO sells the highest quality, best fitting Allen keys and bits on the planet - I have Bondhus and PB Swiss is better
  • Park spoke wrench
  • Park large self-sticky tire patch
  • Spare KMC Magic Link for the chain
  • And a $20 dollar bill
Old 09-17-24, 07:10 PM
Awesomeguy

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
why zip ties and a dedicated Allen key? Also that silver tool, looks like chain repair tool, is it good ? I believe it is this one

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-601013...s%2C158&sr=8-2
Old 09-17-24, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,552 Times in 3,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
why zip ties and a dedicated Allen key? Also that silver tool, looks like chain repair tool, is it good ? I believe it is this one
Zip ties can help you out in various situations. Maybe something comes loose and you need to secure it or you need to do some trailside repairs are in order. I have had use for them on the road on rare occasion. For a dedicated hex wrench those can be handy when you need more leverage or have a specific thing that needs tightening that requires something longer. Some people also just like having their most used hex needs in an easier to use package. Everyone's kit is going to be specific to their wants and needs.

I certainly have odd wants and needs in one of my kits as most people don't need a T40IP but I want to be able to remove my Bosch motor bolts on one of my e-bikes in an emergency as maybe the shop I am near is not equipped with that bit or tool. Very few people would want or need that tool but it was something I wanted, that kit also doesn't have a 6mm hex because I didn't have anything on the bike that used it so it is a very odd set up.

Old 09-17-24, 07:56 PM
Aubergine 
Francophile

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Liked 673 Times in 331 Posts
My main tool set is a Topeak Alien II, which has a very good selection of usable tools. I also carry old fashioned open ended wrenches and an adjustable wrench, as well as a few Torx and Allen wrenches for the odd sizes I occasionally come across. Plus chain links, tube stuff etc as mentioned above.

I carry more than I need, but I have been able to help a lot of folks deal with problems along the side of the road and trails.
Old 09-17-24, 08:03 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 825 Times in 458 Posts
Only 1 post mentioned a tire boot - it's an important item for me. Rarely used, but it can save the day when needed. Of course you can improvise it, but better to have a proper one ready.
Old 09-17-24, 09:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,822 Times in 2,502 Posts
why zip ties and a dedicated Allen key? Also that silver tool, looks like chain repair tool, is it good ?
Zips are an old habit. Forget why. Never know when ya might need a tie.

You asked about chain probs, this is what I took for a 2 day gravel ride on an 8 speed.

long Allen wrench for a 2 bolt saddle.

Better than a large toolbag is a nuts and bolts pre-check - front to back.
Old 09-17-24, 10:16 PM
marc_brumell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same, zip ties and tube repair kit
Old 09-18-24, 09:32 AM
KerryIrons

Liked 709 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
for day rides

Crank broths m17 kit
Tire boot if clincher
2 water bottles
energy bar

longer rides or tougher areas add in more first aid stuff, emergency blanket more tubes or another tubular
Wow. In many decades and hundreds of thousands of miles, I have never needed anything but a tube, glueless patches, booting material, and a couple of Allen wrenches. Things must be much rougher in the war zone in which you ride.
Old 09-18-24, 10:17 AM
daywood 

Liked 342 Times in 135 Posts
In the tool bag:
Crank Brothers M17 multi tool
Gerber micro multi tool
Small vise grips with narrow jaws
Small adjustable wrench
Tire levers
Patch kit
Extra hidden chain links (8, 9, and 10 speed)
Digital pressure gauge
Zip ties
Duct tape (small amount wrapped around a piece of dowel)

Spare tube (in a saddle or bar bag because it varies by bike)
Spare folding tire in a rack bag when on the tandem
Pump (usually frame mounted and for presta and schrader)
Old 09-18-24, 10:27 AM
13ollocks

Bikes: '00 LS Vortex/Chorus 12/Campag Zondas, '98 LS Classic/Chorus 10/Rolf Vector Pros

Liked 365 Times in 208 Posts
What repair tools or items do you carry for long rides besides standard tube / flat fix .

What do you carry for chain issues?
what do you consider a “long ride”? My standard saddle bag contains a spare tube, a couple of CO2 cartridges and a head, tire levers, multitool with a chain tool, chain quick link, a small Swiss Army knife and a spare cleat screw and washer. I have a mini pump in my jersey, and I might add a second spare tube in my pocket for anything much more than a century or if I think I’m going to be beyond “call of shame” range. A few zip ties inside the handlebar. Cell phone, credit card and some cash, obv. This serves pretty much any one-day ride.
if I’m doing some sort of shakedown ride after some major refit, I’ll probably bring some “proper” tools in my jersey pocket for adjusting stuff out on the road.
In general, though, I think good maintenance largely obviates the need for extensive tools and spares on the bike. In ~50 years, apart from flats, I can recall only two mechanicals (both in the ‘80s when I knew no better) that disabled the bike - a Campag Nuovo Record RD spontaneously disassembled itself all over the road, and some sort of chain jam while at full tilt caused a Huret RD to pull up and outward, destroying the RD and bending the steel hanger through >90 degrees. The first, if I’d had tools, I could probably have jury-rigged a single-speed by removing the remains of the RD and shortening the chain, but the second was a “walk home” event that no reasonable on-bike tool kit would have addressed

Last edited by 13ollocks; 09-18-24 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-18-24, 12:08 PM
squirtdad 

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,474 Times in 1,820 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
for day rides

Crank broths m17 kit
Tire boot if clincher
2 water bottles
energy bar

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Wow. In many decades and hundreds of thousands of miles, I have never needed anything but a tube, glueless patches, booting material, and a couple of Allen wrenches. Things must be much rougher in the war zone in which you ride.
fully admit to being a non-mimalist as much as i try, but in my decades and thousands of miles of biking has guided what I pack (and a be prepared mindset....applies to what I pack sea kayaking also)

2 tubes, have had occasions where I needed both tubes and even once both tubes and a patch kit
Rema Tip top patches....only thing that works consistently, have not had good results with the park glueless patches
multi tool is handy and covers pretty much every tool need, have used on my bikes and others
Co2 is a recent add after pumping up a tire twice in 100 degree weather..... luxury, not required, Pump is required
valve wrench after issues with a loose valve with my lezne pump (moved to silca pump)
metal levers and tire jack are recent adds as tires are getting tougher to mount (going more tubular)
have not had to use any of the chain stuff, this is a be prepared
gloves and cleaning pad are bit of luxury, especially as I have moved to silca super secret liquid was for chains, but still handy

I have done first aid multiple times, so carry a couple of bandaids, but for rides like Cino I add more stuff, in handle bar bag, an emergency blanket can make a big difference, especially if you are in a place where emergency response is delayed

I get my normal gear into a JanD tubular bag or a silca mattone......and if need extra i user a small ore medium handlebar bag, like roadrunner sports

Old 09-18-24, 12:31 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Pretty much like others. I remember before good quick links, I carried some new Shimano chain pins and a Swiss-Tech mini tool to pop off the end. I carry a CO2 and a mini-pump. I'll loan out the mini pump if I encounter a stranger needing one. One tube and a patch kit with unopened glue tube. A bit of gaff (duct) tape, although I figure one of the big tube patches would work for a tire boot. Select allen wrenches, mini chain tool. And a little plastic chain hanger.

In WA state, AAA will give you a bike breakdown transport as one of your service calls.
Likes For Litespeedlouie:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.