Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring plans for 2006? Let's hear them!!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring plans for 2006? Let's hear them!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 02:43 AM
jabantik00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my 2006 tour plans

gonna do a connect-the-dots national park tour:

aca southern tier from my dad's house (oceanside, ca) to arizona.
aca grand canyon connector from arizona to either south or north rim of grand canyon (this is mostly dependant on if there is a shuttle that will take my bike and crap so i can hike through.)
north rim to zion, bryce, capitol reef, glen canyon rec area, canyonlands, arches, moab. holy crap! gonna take my time. small mileage days and lots of sightseeing days here.
moab to fruita, co via kokopelli's trail.
fruita, co to gunnison, co, visiting the black canyon.
great divide mountain bike route from gunnison to grand tetons and yellowstone.

it is hard to foresee how long this will take or whether i will have any serious problems, so i am not planning an end to this trip. if things go well, i may continue on the gdmbr to banff, turn into bc, and return along the coast. or if i call it quits before then, i'll box my bike and have it shipped home and catch a bus. who knows?
Old 04-11-06, 10:45 AM
paul2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My plan is to do the Gaspe in August. I picked up my recumbent on Friday, so I have a few months to get my bent legs.
Old 04-11-06, 11:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6296 Post(s)
Liked 4,332 Times in 2,428 Posts
I've decided to do the "Brussel Sprouts" tour. My ultimate goal in life is to ride in all 50 US states. I have 27 currently. While looking at a map recently I realized that I could ride in 5 states fairly easily by starting in Tulsa OK then to Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisana and finish in Texas. When I told a cycling friend about it he said, "Man! That's like having to eat your brussel sprouts before dessert! Surely there are other places to ride in!" And thus a tour is born...and quit calling me Shirley
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-11-06, 11:21 AM
lofter
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
denver to st charles mo via the katy trail .some time in late jun. or july
Old 04-11-06, 11:58 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by lofter
denver to st charles mo via the katy trail .some time in late jun. or july
From other posts, I see that you are following US36. Once you get to St. Jo. how do you plan on getting to Clinton?

If I might be so bold as to suggest, try following the Adventure Cycle Lewis and Clark route. You can buy just the one map, which is very informative. The ride from Troy to Atchison and then on to Lexington, is very pretty and has relatively low traffic. The bridge at Lexington is wonderfully scary This route also lets you avoid KC and St. Jo. (if you want to). From Lexington you can follow the route over to Boonville or you could go straight south to the KATY.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-11-06, 02:06 PM
chillout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My plans are going to China to join this tour https://www.bikechina.com/t-cdzd.html with 1400KM of cycling through the beautiful Yunnan and Sichuan. The only catch is that I don't want to go alone so I'm looking for people who feel like doing the same tour. Most likely my plans of going in May will become unrealistic and I'll go in August or September. If I won't go I'll probably rack up my racing bike to see the Spanish coast in May
Old 04-11-06, 02:43 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by chillout
My plans are going to China to join this tour https://www.bikechina.com/t-cdzd.html with 1400KM of cycling through the beautiful Yunnan and Sichuan. The only catch is that I don't want to go alone so I'm looking for people who feel like doing the same tour. Most likely my plans of going in May will become unrealistic and I'll go in August or September. If I won't go I'll probably rack up my racing bike to see the Spanish coast in May
I hope you are going with them. Otherwise your plans might get lonely, what with being in a foreign country and all

Sorry. I just couldn't resist.

Old 04-11-06, 04:52 PM
lofter
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
From other posts, I see that you are following US36. Once you get to St. Jo. how do you plan on getting to Clinton?

If I might be so bold as to suggest, try following the Adventure Cycle Lewis and Clark route. You can buy just the one map, which is very informative. The ride from Troy to Atchison and then on to Lexington, is very pretty and has relatively low traffic. The bridge at Lexington is wonderfully scary This route also lets you avoid KC and St. Jo. (if you want to). From Lexington you can follow the route over to Boonville or you could go straight south to the KATY.
someone said something about the flatt hills.sounds interesting.cant wait to hit denver . looking foward to a smothered burrito from florez burritos then maybe a run up lookout mountain before heading out of denver.i dont know if im going to hook up at clinton.
Old 04-11-06, 06:32 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by lofter
someone said something about the flatt hills.sounds interesting.cant wait to hit denver . looking foward to a smothered burrito from florez burritos then maybe a run up lookout mountain before heading out of denver.i dont know if im going to hook up at clinton.
Tafalino's at 20th and Youngfield in Lakewood. Order the Burrito Pablano, smothered in green. It's a damned fine burrito!

Or, for nonhispanic food, try Parisi's at 44th and Tennyson - an absolutely fabulous Italian deli. Quite possibly the best food in Denver!

Old 04-11-06, 07:21 PM
linds
getting there.

Bikes: '83 Bianchi Squadra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going Boston to Yorktown, VA (home) starting May 8th!
Old 04-11-06, 11:54 PM
eos30d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, I never toured, I sold my old road bike and got a new touring bike ,the Sherpa by Rocky Mountain, I am training and learning from all of you here, I am slowly adding on the bike, I started biking to work 22Km each way........ my 2006 dream is to tour Cuba from east to west, Holguin to Havana. planing for Dec or Jan.
Old 04-12-06, 09:08 AM
Nif

Bikes: Schwinn High Sierra, Bruce Gordon BLT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
South America

Howdy -

I'm leaving for a 5 -7 month solo trip through South America in June, specifically, Peru-Bolivia-Argentina-Chile. Like the person going to France, I'm very excited and not a little freaked. Hopefully, I will be able to meet up with some other cyclists while down there - there seem to be a few groups who will be in Peru around the same time.
Old 04-12-06, 10:00 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
While i still might have to revise it depending on how my new job serach goes, I plan a basic across-the-usa tour from Oregon to new england.

roughstuff
Old 04-12-06, 11:19 AM
Ira in Chi
loves living in the city.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm leaving on a year-long US tour in a month. I'm down to two weeks of work left, I've been saving for a year, I'm ready to start already!
Old 04-12-06, 12:53 PM
iherald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm starting my 'real' life in September when my new job starts, so I've decided to spend the summer riding across Canada. 6500km of bright blue skies and a tail wind (I'm praying!). I've decided to do it for a two children's cancer charities. Self serving link: https://www.cyclingforcancer.ca I'll have a travel blog there during the trip.

David.
Old 04-12-06, 06:03 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing much. To ride down to the Golden Gate Yacht Club for their weekly tango party where the wife will meet me with dance gear and a ride home after.

Or start early on Friday for Wilbur Hot Springs and see how far I get before the wife gets off work and catches up with me with a car load of wine, picnics, and dry towels.

Or over to the Jelly Belly factory, camp out, then ride home.
Old 04-12-06, 06:33 PM
Crankypants
Hairy Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In two days, I am leaving for a two week jaunt in Languedoc-Roussillon, and I am going to traverse the Pyrenees from Cerber to Hendaye in mid June! I am pulling BoB, stealth camping with a tarp, and loving Southern France!
Old 04-12-06, 06:52 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
...starting in Tulsa OK then to Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisana and finish in Texas. When I told a cycling friend about it he said, "Man! That's like having to eat your brussel sprouts before dessert! Surely there are other places to ride in!"
OK, maybe it ain't exactly the dramatic landscapes of the Rockies but there's some fine BBQ on that route!

Ohhh, and I am currently doing day rides here:

But planning a few week-long rides into the BC Rockies and then maybe a ride to the coast.
Old 04-12-06, 10:43 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In July, my girlfriend and I will be touring Newfoundland and Labrador. Landing in Deer Lake up the northern Peninsula and crossing over to Labrador. From there it's about a 250 mile ride in the dirt to Cartwight and then a boat ride back to Newfoundland. Sounds pretty tame by a lot of the above itineraries. It's her first tour so hope I this isn't too much for her. She is a tough gal and lived for two years on Baffin Island so think she can handle it.
Old 04-12-06, 11:59 PM
marmotte

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankypants
In two days, I am leaving for a two week jaunt in Languedoc-Roussillon, and I am going to traverse the Pyrenees from Cerber to Hendaye in mid June! I am pulling BoB, stealth camping with a tarp, and loving Southern France!
Have a nice time, Crankypants. I have to wait 5 more weeks for Corsica and 4 more months for the Alps...
marmotte
Old 04-13-06, 12:02 AM
CL39

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had September 05 trip all planned out for
Grenoble to Chamonix, including Alpe d'Huez, Galibier, Iseran,
Roseland, Aravis, etc. etc. But cancelled due to a job interview,
which seemed little more important than a bike trip
(yes, my priority's all screwed up)

So I did get that job I wanted and this September, I will be
taking the same trip.
Old 04-13-06, 08:43 AM
SoreFeet

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Hey Santa Rosa is really close...

Sonoma County has some of the best cycling. I am new to cycling but I can really say we have some great scenery and plenty of rides. Have you tried Russian River Brewing? My favorite ride is from Sonoma to 4th. Hit up 2-3 pints and turn back. Oh talk about lactic acid pains.
Old 04-13-06, 09:58 AM
Ihaul
Ihaul

Bikes: Bianci road bike, Specialized Cirrus, Fuji World

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundoz
In July, my girlfriend and I will be touring Newfoundland and Labrador. Landing in Deer Lake up the northern Peninsula and crossing over to Labrador. From there it's about a 250 mile ride in the dirt to Cartwight and then a boat ride back to Newfoundland. Sounds pretty tame by a lot of the above itineraries. It's her first tour so hope I this isn't too much for her. She is a tough gal and lived for two years on Baffin Island so think she can handle it.
I'm arriving in Deer Lake Jun. 23rd. for a 10 day tour of the great northern peninsula with https://www.atlanticcanadacycling.com/newfoundland/tour/
Old 04-13-06, 02:57 PM
Denis V.
Bike for Health & Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everybody !!!
Bikepacker67 explain me please! What is mean BBQ ?
I don't understand what is it!

And I invite everybody to JOIN my thread • IT’s INTERESTING ! See this!!!
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=186918
Old 04-13-06, 03:10 PM
Denis V.
Bike for Health & Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take your pictures and JOIN my thread • IT’s INTERESTING ! See this!!!
There is a Link: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=186918
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
I and Dima.jpg (97.8 KB, 7 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.