Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

tire pressure- 26 inch

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

tire pressure- 26 inch

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 03:46 PM
t-star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tire pressure- 26 inch

i need to know what tire pressure i need on my old 26 inch phillips single speed - not balloon tire- and no, it doesn't say what psi on the tire- i'm running roughly 250 pounds body weight- i think it was about 40 psi,but the tires have really dried out and you can't read the uniroyals
Old 04-04-08, 04:17 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Tire pressure is based largely on tire size. I looked at a few sites at a couple of 26 X 1 3/8 tires and one had 45 PSI max, and the other 55 PSI max.

Then I remembered to check Sheldon Brown's site...

It looks like he suggests about 60 PSI for 35mm tires and 100 pounds loaded on the tire (which is about what you have)... But that may be for hooked rims.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

As long as you aren't getting pinch flats, or seeing too much deflection in the tire, you should be fine. Remember that you should see some deflection.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-04-08, 05:42 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With old dried out tires you should go easy on the air pressure.It doesn't take much to pop them(personal experience).
I'd try 30-35 psi MAX.If this isn't hard enough for you,you may want to look into new tires.There are lots of distributors of tires in the size you'd need(EA3).
Old 04-04-08, 06:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,008 Times in 649 Posts
I would retire old dried out tires myself...