Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

used bike shops?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

used bike shops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 12:49 PM
bikegeekmn
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
used bike shops?

I've seen reference to them on BF.I've never seen one are these becoming common?
Old 07-23-09, 12:53 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We've got one. Those also have a few new bikes and a secondary location to sell the clunkers not worth fixing.

There's also a fancy bike shop and a third one.... Never been to that one but they might have used bikes?
Old 07-23-09, 12:55 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikegeekmn
are these becoming common?
The other way around here. We used to have a few and now we have zero. There are some individuals who sell bikes, but not a storefront.

I don't know where all the used bikes go ... landfill?

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Old 07-23-09, 01:35 PM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
In Chicago we have a couple (one that is actually pretty good) and a co-op that also sells bikes and parts. I would imagine they would be popular in large cities, hipsters need places to buy vintage steel horizontal dropout frames for cheap.

They are, however, nothing like you would be accustomed to with a normal bike shop. The one that I like in Chicago looks like a bomb went off in the middle of a bike factory.
Old 07-23-09, 01:50 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by bikegeekmn
I've seen reference to them on BF.I've never seen one are these becoming common?
+1 Just the opposite. Shops around here want nothing to do with used bikes, or old parts either. Their entire focus is selling and servicing new bikes.

To be fair, I bet they get a lot of people that bring in old junk and expect to get it fully serviced for $25.
Old 07-23-09, 02:28 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 858 Posts
In late 1971 / early 1972 I worked at a short-lived used bike shop in Santa Monica. As long as the overhead is extremely low and the expectations of profit are modest, I suppose the business model works, but barely. I have occasionally seen mid-to-high end used bikes in some of the smaller independent shops, particularly the older ones.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-23-09, 02:54 PM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a couple in Philly.
Old 07-23-09, 02:58 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Philadelphia has a few - Firehouse in west philly and Via in south philly.
Used bikes tend to be pricey - but they somehow make a go of it and folks buy $300 varsities. Both locations are in old, established buildings - so maybe lower overhead helps. On the repair and parts side - it's helpful to have them around.

https://www.firehousebicycles.com/
https://www.bikeville.com/frames.html
Old 07-23-09, 03:03 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got a local shop that sells three-wheelers to the geezers, along with hybrids and a few road/ss/fixies

the coolest part of the shop is the back wall of one half of the store: lots of used parts, handlebars, pedals, hubs, and other paraphenalia

have scored some good stuff to rebuild my urban ride and bring it up to 9spd and road bars from its 6spd and bar shifting former self

i *always* buy something when i stop by - one man shop, cuts me breaks on pricing, and friendly to boot...

if you're ever on Park Blvd in Seminole, Fla., stop by BikePros (just before Seminole Park between Alt. 19 and Starkey/Park St.)
Old 07-23-09, 03:26 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only know of one.
Manny's in Venice, California.
Everything you would ever need for your old skip-toothed balloon tire beast.
I've often wondered how he has managed to stay in business for so many years.
Old 07-23-09, 03:47 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Reno we have two sellers of used bikes, the bike cooperative and the Kiwanis bile program. Both fix and recycle donated bikes and parts.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 07-23-09, 03:48 PM
jamesl
Tinkerer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
G. Oscar's in Tulsa is an interesting shop to visit. It's packed to the walls with every kind of old bike imaginable. The entire ceiling is festooned with hundreds of wheels hanging from hooks. He charges quite a bit and some of the bikes he sells are not that nice, including things like Huffy and Free Spirit. Still, the few times I've been there he seems pretty busy and his stock is constantly changing.
Old 07-23-09, 03:57 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
One just opened in Ann Arbor.

They are pricing stuff so high that a $200 Varsity looks like a deal!
Old 07-23-09, 06:08 PM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phillyrider
Philadelphia has a few - Firehouse in west philly and Via in south philly.
Used bikes tend to be pricey - but they somehow make a go of it and folks buy $300 varsities. Both locations are in old, established buildings - so maybe lower overhead helps. On the repair and parts side - it's helpful to have them around.

https://www.firehousebicycles.com/
https://www.bikeville.com/frames.html
I should note that I don't like Firehouse, because once, in my noob days before I knew how to even fix a flat or change a tube, I had them do that for me...and it turned out the dude put the wrong size of tube in.
Old 07-23-09, 06:23 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
We have a very famous one here in Burlington. Which I'm thinking of offering my services to. You might get a kick out of taking a look:

https://www.oldspokeshome.com/
Old 07-23-09, 09:29 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Due to the economy, one of the local bike shop chains has started selling LBS quality used bikes. They won't get near an old department store bike and they're not interested in friction shifting bikes, but they do sell downtube, index shifting bikes. Judging by how fast the bikes are turning over, I'd say they're pretty happy with the used trade. In addition, it helps them move out new bikes because they accept trade-ins.
Old 07-23-09, 10:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
My future plans....patina pedaling...patina peddling.....

There's a classic one in Elizabeth City, NC, The Kickstand.
Just window shopping (he's closed for the summer) took me about an hour, and I was in a hurry.
Sitting outside in a fenced area are a bunch of dept store bikes, and a sign: "kids-take what you need"
I've got to get in there one of these days... He has an old A-D hanging outside for a sign.

Most need a markup of 20% + their tuneup costs, or 40% overall.
They're taking in trades more than they used to, but not exactly giving top dollar.

My LBS still takes them on on consignment, and they move pretty well.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-24-09 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-24-09, 04:52 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
There is one in Iowa City, IA, great folks and decent selection of used bikes. They also sell new stuff too.

I think one glaring problem is supply of decent used bikes. Ever since WM got into the bike sales business at their current scale, the quality of used bikes has declined. Years ago I could buy Schwinns, Raleighs and even a Huffy that was of usable quality. Now the stuff that comes out of the various marts is so poor that is worth little more than scrap. I know in my area if you can find ANYTHING other than a Next or other BOS anywhere you are doing well. I did scavenge the trash piles an aluminum Next frame was worth almost $20 last year, now about $2 for scrap.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-24-09, 09:00 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 41 Posts
I think one glaring problem is supply of decent used bikes
I own/operate a used bike shop, and that is problem #1. There are always disparate expectations of value of used bikes (both coming and going), but I think we are starting to seperate ourself from other folks flipping bikes out of their garage. However, the supply sources through whihc we got most of our bikes have completely dried up over the past two years.
Old 07-24-09, 09:11 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FreeRide
Old 07-24-09, 09:20 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 168 Posts
The closest to me is about 40 miles away. They are associated with a larger, new bike shop in town and get all the other shops trade in's, demos and old models they haven't sold. They also sell new Raleigh and Giant. I bought my Gitane Sprint from them, helped a friend buy a nice used Cannondale and my dad buy a Klein Comp Pulse mtb from this shop. They're easy to work with and low pressure. I have two kids that want a mountain bike and I'll go there and look first. I've told my wife that there's no way I'll buy a Xmart bike for my kids.

Other than this one shop - I've got to go an hour and forty five minutes to Seattle for other options.

Old 07-24-09, 10:47 AM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
One just opened in Ann Arbor.

They are pricing stuff so high that a $200 Varsity looks like a deal!
Name and address?
Old 07-24-09, 10:51 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have everything in LA if you are willing to look hard enough.
Old 07-24-09, 01:16 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidW56
Name and address?
Sic Transit Cycles. I don't have an address, but this is basically where they are: yahoo maps. They are in a former car detail place so look for the two garage doors. They don't have normal open hours so good luck. Oh, ya and not to mention extremely overpriced bikes and parts, limited mechanical skills, and my basement is more of a bike shop than they are.
Old 07-24-09, 02:43 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I just bought a used hub at one here in San Diego. It is in kind of a marginal neighborhood, but the owner seemed like a very friendly guy. The shop is called Pedal Pushing. It is located in the 4900 block of El Cajon Blvd. Looking at the sign with service prices they seemed reasonable. Used bikes, some new accessories too.

I needed a rear high flange hub for a Nishiki International I am repairing for my son's friend to take to college. I was going to rebuild the rear wheel when I noticed cracks in the original hub. He had a decent Sunshine hub for $8, not bad at all IMHO.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group