Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 04:38 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
You guys are a bunch of enablers...
Doesn't appear to have taken much enabling! But I would have kept it as well...
Old 08-19-09, 04:38 PM
mastronaut
Sarcastic Bastid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the bull moose handlebars on that Schwinn, I have em on my 10-speed...

Last edited by mastronaut; 08-19-09 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 04:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Schwinn ????

It's a Kuwahara !!!

An interesting side note is that those Schwinn Sierras were probably built by Kuwahara as they built bikes for Schwinn and many other companies before they ever put their own name on their frames.

This happened in the early 80's with their BMX bikes (ET anyone?) and their mtbs became Apollo / Kuwaharas in 84 (?) and by 1987 the Apollo name was gone altogether.
Old 08-19-09, 04:55 PM
mastronaut
Sarcastic Bastid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh my bad, I was too busy looking at the bars rather than the brand. oof!

Last edited by mastronaut; 08-19-09 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-09, 06:33 PM
nikkorod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diamondback Ascent EX and Trek 930 Singletrack

I got these two bike off of Craigs in Philly. The Diamondback is a 1988 Ascent EX Tange MTB double butted chromoly. The Trek is True Temper Platnium OX II. Both are in good condition and function good. Just need a good cleaning. The best part. 80.00 total for both.
Old 08-19-09, 06:55 PM
Smokinapankake

Liked 710 Times in 269 Posts
Back in 95 or so I was working in a shop in Fairfield, Cali - Solano Ski & Cycle to be precise.
The Trek 930 was a great value for the money. I think about 650 bucks got you a nice double butted OX II frame, Shimano LX with XT RD, and a Rockshox Quadra fork. We sold a ton of em because they were a pretty good value. Plus they had that sweet electric blue paint....

Only bad part (in my opinion, anyway) was the crappy gripshift.
Old 08-19-09, 07:22 PM
nikkorod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This 930 has the ridgid fork. The best part was it came with fenders and a rack! The Diamondback could make a good commuting bike
Old 08-19-09, 07:59 PM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pictures tomorrow but I just got back from buying a Nishiki Cresta -- double butted full touring in great shape. Needs clean up and some new rubber and cables.
Old 08-19-09, 09:40 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Was on my home from breakfast and snagged this from a neighbour who was getting ready for a garage sale...

1985 Apollo Kuwahara Sierra Grande - Shimano Deore (stag's head) group, Shimano high flange MD475 high flange hubs laced to Araya RM25 wheels in a 36 4 cross pattern (these are bombproof), Suntour XC pedals.

The frame is very clean and the bike rides like it was new and cost me a whopping $30.00... it's a plain 4130 frame but like most Kuwaharas of this era, is very nicely put together and finished.

The saddle is new and all it needs is a little tlc in the way of a new chain, lube, and grips.
I'm on the floor writhing in jealous agony! Seriously, great find. Any single piece of that Shimano Deer Head group would more than pay for your investment in the bike. I'm a sucker for those super old mountain bikes. My best scores in that realm were both found at the curb... a Jamis Boss Cruiser 5spd which needed pedals, a rear wheel and a shifter cable and even came with a VERY early Cannondale seat bag (train station logo); and a 1989 Rockhopper Comp in very crusty condition, Hite-Rite, covered in brown spray paint including on the wheels, and a blown rear derailleur. I'm in the process on repainting it with my 10-year-old son, and it'll be his next bike when he outgrows the one he has now.
Old 08-20-09, 11:35 PM
kwduffy02

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2008 Specialized Roubiax Elite, 1970's Murray 10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posted an ad on CL looking for another bike, and $25 later I came home with this. My first older bike but I can already tell that I am going to enjoy it. Don't really know too much about it other than that it is a mid 70's Murray.

Old 08-20-09, 11:39 PM
scott clement

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rescued a Carlton 'CORSAIR' from a skip has the frame no, T 1538 can anyone give me an approx. date?
Also how did Corsairs stand in the rankingwas it 531 etc.

Thanking you in anticipation

Scott
Old 08-21-09, 06:55 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Posted an ad on CL looking for another bike, and $25 later I came home with this. My first older bike but I can already tell that I am going to enjoy it. Don't really know too much about it other than that it is a mid 70's Murray.

Is that a Selle saddle? I doubt that would be original to the bike. What is the model of the saddle, and is it in good condition? If it is a decent saddle, you got part of your $25 right there. Also, are the tires new, or near new? What type are they? Headlight and blinkie, too? I am asking this because a modest bike like a Murray for $25 can sometimes yield some interesting parts for your next bike. This is in addition to haveing something to ride for now.
Old 08-21-09, 10:15 AM
BOBSONATOR
Klaus Pierre-Action Star

Bikes: 86' Samurai Shogun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cycleheimer

Is that a Selle saddle? I doubt that would be original to the bike. What is the model of the saddle, and is it in good condition? If it is a decent saddle, you got part of your $25 right there. Also, are the tires new, or near new? What type are they? Headlight and blinkie, too? I am asking this because a modest bike like a Murray for $25 can sometimes yield some interesting parts for your next bike. This is in addition to haveing something to ride for now.
lol I was thinking the same exact thing no joke.
Old 08-21-09, 01:18 PM
kwduffy02

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2008 Specialized Roubiax Elite, 1970's Murray 10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, I put the saddle on it, it is a San Marco ponza, I've got the original one that came with it on my counter right now. I rode it the day I got it, to class at night so I put the lights on it from my other bike hehe. The tires are not new but they still have a little bit of life left in them. I plan on using this bike to commute to class and around town, and to go get groceries on the weekend, maybe do a few fun rides with it every now and then and so far it is working out good for that. Still need to do a little more maintenance to it and polish it up a little more though =)
Old 08-21-09, 01:31 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
I'm on the floor writhing in jealous agony! Seriously, great find. Any single piece of that Shimano Deer Head group would more than pay for your investment in the bike. I'm a sucker for those super old mountain bikes.
So you probably don't even want to know how nicely that lugged chromoly frame rides then...

I swapped out the old chain as it was at it's replacement limit and changed that wide range 6 (big jumps) for a tighter 14-28 7 speed freewheel and didn't have to adjust a thing except the high limit on the rear d.

The shifter is virtually indexed as one tiny click equals one clean gear change whereas a Suntour half ratchet requires a few clicks.

The bike is smooth as silk and I haven't even gotten around to re packing and replacing the bearings.
Old 08-21-09, 01:34 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer

Is that a Selle saddle?
Selle means saddle.
Old 08-21-09, 04:39 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So today I got a bunch of bikes heres a picture, but one of them was interested. read the sticker and then look at problem, i've seen cheap bicycles but this one takes the cake. even the tire peels and it aint even cracked!

I see a big headache.
Old 08-21-09, 05:14 PM
asshat78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found her in a pile of junk out side of a couples house, said they were cleaning out there garage and had no use for pedal bikes. i expected them to tell me a price for it but they mentioned the put an ad on craigslist for anyone who wants to take all the junk from the pile can come first come first serve. as i was walking away i also saw a little rusted out tricycle(pics up soon) and i figured i will clean it up for my daughter and when she is old enough to ride she will ride with daddy. thsi schwinn is dated october 83 and almost perfect chrome. minor rust. and original spitfire tires and factory tubes!!!!! purchased and owned locally. still has sticker from "garland cycle" a local bike shop. i consider my self quite lucky. and now OBSESSED with schwinn stingrays.
Old 08-21-09, 06:44 PM
Dyermaker
Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was a great, great day.

He included the original Fiamme sew-ups laced to Record hubs.

The chainrings are in half step (47 / 43), so naturally he included the 53tooth ring.... even some clip-in pedals.

Not sure of the year, Motobecane Team Champion. Basically orginal, aside from the upgrade to clinchers and tape/housing.

Cinelli saddle / bars / stem
Phil hubs

He removed the Headtube decal for some reason. The Campagnolo brake hoods are very dry and cracked, pretty much falling apart, so I wrapped a bit of electrical tape around em just to hold em until they have nothing left.
The tubulars hold air, but the cement should probably be replaced. Im comfortable on clinchers because of my lack of tubular experience but this may be just what I need to get into it.

The guy was an older fellow, me being only 20. Extremely nice, excited to see his bike going to someone who appreciated it. He said he picked it up in 1978, rode it a bit, and hung it up some years ago.

It was a screaming deal, considering prices in the Bay.... : )

Last edited by Dyermaker; 08-21-09 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 07:11 PM
j. hughes
formerly turdsandwich

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1984 Trek 520, 198? Ross Mt St Helens, 1980 Raleigh Super Gran Prix, 197? Raleigh Gran Prix SS City Banger, 2012 Lynskey ProCross Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^nice score! still looks great. enjoy!
Old 08-21-09, 07:28 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That motobecane is hell of a score, nice!!
Old 08-21-09, 08:54 PM
retyred

Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Wow! I've wanted a Team Champion since I first saw a pic of one. Consider yourself very lucky as I expected that Moto to spark a mini bidding war on CL. What size is it?
Old 08-22-09, 12:50 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Scored two sets of nice wheels today. The first pair is a set of Mavic Cosmic Elites, complete with tires, in excellent shape. That's the set that interested me, as I figured I could use them sooner or later on a flip, or on a personal bike.

I bought the second set for the heck of it. It is a set of Zipp 909 Speed Weaponry time trial wheels, complete with tubular tires and nice shimano 9 speed corncob cassette. Odd to me at least is that the Zipps have 27 inch tires on them, while the Mavics are 700c.

I won't mention the price, but they were cheap (paid the same price for each wheel, x 4). Nice tires on all four wheels.

A quick check of ebay shows the Zipps are going pretty good. So I will probably be selling them there, heck, I have pretty much run out of bikes to sell...

Last edited by wrk101; 08-22-09 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 02:18 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
I found two TA handlebar mount water bottle cages on CL. They are chromed steel and look great! Look like this, but with handlebar mount tabs:

Old 08-22-09, 02:27 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
I found two TA handlebar mount water bottle cages on CL. They are chromed steel and look great! Look like this, but with handlebar mount tabs:

Good catch, those fetch a a bunch of $$ on eBay

Cheers,
Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.