Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Broken 'Classic' Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Broken 'Classic' Frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 05:58 PM
GitanePro83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broken 'Classic' Frame

Hello

I ride an '83 Gitane Pro, or at least rode one before today. Along the bottom/rear of my frame, almost touching the dropout (I hope that makes sense), my frame separated. I'm guessing it's just a wear&tear/stress type of thing. My dad used to race with it for about 8 years, and used it for casual rides after that. It's been my commuter for the past 2 years.

My question, however, is whether or not this is a fixable repair. I'd like very much to be able to continue to use this bike, but don't know of any other solution to trashing it or welding it back together (but seriously, where the hell am I going to find a welder?)

**I posted this here, in case this has happened to others who ride older bikes**
Old 10-14-09, 06:04 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,009 Posts
An image would help, what it reads like is the chainstay broke free from the dropout, if so, repairable but if there is chrome, (maybe not from 1983), it is more of a problem. If the chainstay is cracked along its longitudinal axis, a bigger problem. Steel is generally repairable, its the cost to do and the refinish cost to get beyond a functional repair where the sentimental/reasonable equation becomes a problem.

You don't need a welder, you need a framebuilder who will do repairs.
Old 10-14-09, 06:08 PM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a braze let loose, or did the tube break? Often a braze can be easily repaired, but a break means replacing that tube at the vary least. On some bikes it's simply not worth the expense/effort to replace a tube.

(have to say I have repaired many things that weren't worth it though)

ken.
Old 10-14-09, 06:12 PM
GitanePro83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
posting an image once my camera charges a little.

I appreciate the responses.
Old 10-14-09, 09:28 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,372 Times in 864 Posts
I broke a UO-8 chainstay between the freewheel and tire clearance dimples. I have heard from others that the stays are the weakest link in typical French frames.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-14-09, 09:44 PM
KtotheF

Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a friend of mine's frame broke in a similar sounding matter, luckily he had an engineering student friend with access to a machine shop who did a really nice job of repairing it. I think this is a pretty common area of damage to steel frames, so maybe it won't be too much to get fixed? I see adds on craigslist all the time from local machinists offering frame repair.
Old 10-15-09, 01:40 AM
bmwstbill

Bikes: '80's vintage Dutch framed(Gazelle), Japanese components,set up for city riding and light touring...fenders, rack and bags.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm an old motorcycle racer and we always fixed up frames after crashes, smashed, crushed bent, broken. A brazed repair using either bronze or steel is hell for strong, any good welder can help you, every good machine shop has a good welder. Just stress cooling the weld slowly.

Find out where your local auto parts store sends stuff or find the car racing set.
Have no fear, have a rattle can.
bill
Old 10-15-09, 03:03 PM
GitanePro83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pictures of the break... finally

Old 10-15-09, 10:24 PM
procrustes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep - that looks broken.

A proper fix involves unsoldering the existing dropout chunks from chain & seatstay and brazing in a new one. I would guess a frame shop will charge you a bit for it though (maybe $100??). If you want it rechromed it will cost more.

A weld repair to the snapped dropout might be difficult/suspect/dangerous since is right next to the brazing material.
Old 10-15-09, 11:44 PM
yellowjeep

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't trust a weld in this situation. The drop out almost certainly had/has a defect and if you weld it it just going to break again further back than the weld. You need a new DO welded[brazed] in.

Last edited by yellowjeep; 10-16-09 at 02:06 AM. Reason: misspoke
Old 10-16-09, 12:45 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Liked 1,134 Times in 838 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowjeep
I wouldn't trust a weld in this situation. The drop out almost certainly had/has a defect and if you weld it it just going to break again further back than the weld. You need a new DO welded in.
yes that's what you need, but brazed in...problem will be finding one of those late Simplex forged dropouts. You might have to find a junked FR frame (Peugeot, Gitane, etc.) that used those dropouts and cannibalize one.
Old 10-16-09, 01:54 AM
yellowjeep

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Er brazed that's what I meant. Evan Williams is a distracting dude.
Old 10-16-09, 07:38 AM
Grand Bois

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
You may be able to find a decent used frame on eBay for less than the cost of having it repaired correctly.
Old 10-16-09, 07:54 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
You may be able to find a decent used frame on eBay for less than the cost of having it repaired correctly.
+1 Time for a donor frame.
Old 10-16-09, 10:43 AM
Grand Bois

There's a beautiful NOS Gitane frame on eBay now, but it's not cheap.
Old 10-16-09, 03:25 PM
GitanePro83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
Do you think it will cost anymore than $150? I guess as long as the repair cost is reasonable, I'd rather put a little more money into salvaging this frame, as it has some sentimental value for me (and my dad).
Old 10-16-09, 06:39 PM
Grand Bois

I've never had a frame repaired, so I don't know what it will cost. I do know that it's hard to find a skilled craftsman that works cheap.
Old 10-16-09, 06:40 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can I be the one to say "fixed gear on a road frame with too much chain tension can and will cause this sort of damage"? Bummer about your classic frame, though.
Old 10-16-09, 06:46 PM
big chainring 

Liked 751 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by mudboy
Can I be the one to say "fixed gear on a road frame with too much chain tension can and will cause this sort of damage"? Bummer about your classic frame, though.
Yep. Lots of torque. Thats why track bikes are built beefy.
Old 10-16-09, 08:08 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Liked 370 Times in 215 Posts
It's clear that your forged dropout broke, not the chainstay. That much is good. I had a frame with a similar cracked dropout repaired by TIG welding:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=422276
Mine was probably easier to weld, because the crack was in the clear, not right up against the chainstay, like yours is.

Fact is, I do have a Simplex dropout in hand that's exactly like yours (well, I can't remember whether the derailer hanger is threaded or the French-style unthreaded; so maybe not exactly). I bought it, and its mate, on eBay when I thought that the Motobecane would require it. If you are committed to repair, then PM me, and we can work something out.

If you're going to get it repaired, you can forget about the chrome -- the only way to have a chromed result would be to have a plater remove the old chrome and re-plate it. If a frame shop with TIG experience feels they can weld the dropout with confidence, then that would be a lot less destructive of the original finish than replacing the dropout altogether. But I don't know about welding so close to the stay tube, which is thin material; and I suspect the welding would disturb the brazing joint too.

If you're near NYC, I can recommend an excellent shop for the repair.