Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What slows you more, hot or cold weather?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Does extreme heat or cold slow you more
Neither, my speed is the same
1.05%
Extreme heat
30.53%
Extreme cold
56.84%
I’m always slow regardless
15.79%
I don’t ride in either
4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

What slows you more, hot or cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-23, 03:14 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
"Extreme cold" and "I'm always slow regardless."

In Ohio, we get occasional summer temperatures near 100F, and once in a while we even get sub-zero temperatures. But generally cold just doesn't leave me any desire to do more than trudge.
Old 12-31-23, 03:37 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
below 40F my speed goes to zero. i just don't want to ride outside when it is that cold. and i only do that when i can commute to work. its below 20F in the morning now so no outdoor riding until march/april.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-31-23, 03:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Road rids are the same speeds, but the majority of my fall and winter riding is mt biking which is slower by nature, but the same general pace that I’ve done for the 8 years or so.
Old 12-31-23, 06:07 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
For my riding, it is the cold weather that has a significant impact on my performance.

Realistically, I'm sure that hot weather would be a the limit as you can always dress warmer to mitigate cold weather effects. But there's a limit to how cool you can keep yourself while riding. But I do not ride in extreme heat. In the summer, I get out at dawn to get rides completed before it gets hot. I rarely ride in weather above 80 F. I also live where it is very dry, so sweating is very effective.

I don't know what it is about cold weather that affects me. I have plenty of high-end gear to wear so, I'm able to stay comfortable most of the time. I think it really comes down to breathing in cold air. Though my legs never feel cold, perhaps the cold is affecting my leg muscles.
Old 12-31-23, 07:04 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Definitely heat, but it gets really hot here (35+ degrees with high humidity) but not really cold (lowest is around -2 to -3). High heat and humidity saps energy like nobody's business, whereas slightly chilly weather only needs proper clothing and then it's just fine.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 12-31-23, 07:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
heat, with the caveat that I live in San Jose CA to it does not get cold

note: cold to me is below 0 F. I grew up in montana and 40 below 0 (same F and C)

I can dress for cold but when it get's hot I slow down to avoid issues with heat.

I can see on my HRM that when it gets hot my HR goes up if I keep same speed on a route, so when is is super hot I slow down and don't let my HR get above the lower thresh hold that I ride to

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-31-23, 08:55 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I'm usually good between 40F-85F.
Sunny and 50's works best for me.
Old 12-31-23, 10:42 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Cold slows me down the most. Cold air further aggravates my exercised-induced asthma and often makes me feel "wheezy" on harder efforts. My power numbers are typically down and my joints don't really like the cold. Anything below freezing and I'd rather just ride on the trainer. It doesn't help that I live in a mountainous area, so the extended-length descents are brutal in the cold, even when they aren't snowy/icy.

While it may not feel pleasant, extreme heat doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect on my power numbers. Some of my PRs on local climbs have come at temps near or above 100଀F mark and my best race results have typically been in hot temps.
Old 12-31-23, 11:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Cold slows me down the most. Cold air further aggravates my exercised-induced asthma and often makes me feel "wheezy" on harder efforts. My power numbers are typically down and my joints don't really like the cold. Anything below freezing and I'd rather just ride on the trainer. It doesn't help that I live in a mountainous area, so the extended-length descents are brutal in the cold, even when they aren't snowy/icy.

While it may not feel pleasant, extreme heat doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect on my power numbers. Some of my PRs on local climbs have come at temps near or above 100଀F mark and my best race results have typically been in hot temps.
In my 30s and early 40s, 90* to 100* barely slowed me down. I enjoyed the heat and enjoyed returning after a 60-70 miler coated is salt. Fast forward 30 years and I just can’t tolerate heat very well. After doing some reading, I found it was normal for my age group.

The summer before last it was 96* and I did a 32 miler at 18 MPH average. Stopped at mile 28 feeling pretty warm since the air wasn’t going by, to take a picture. Got the picture and reached down to tighten a BOA and became so dizzy, I had to sit on the ground for about 10 minutes. I drank half a water bottle, trying to rehydrate. Got up and felt a bit wobbly and got back on the bike and fortunately things returned to normal. I reduced my speed to about 16 for the remainder. Drank a gallon when I got home. Now I take care when it’s hot and reduce my exertion.

Enjoy it while you can.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-01-24, 12:52 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I definitely don't like riding in the cold. That's why there are two locations under my name. I'm ok down to about 55F but after that it's not fun. I tend to get a snotty nose that won't stop. Maybe a nose cover might help?
Heat? Not a problem. It is tough with the high humidity and sometimes on long rides over mountain passes but otherwise I much prefer it to riding in the cold.
Old 01-01-24, 12:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
cold impacts not just mph, but also distance.
add in moist conditions to really toss up the effort level.
Old 01-01-24, 12:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Heat. We don't get REAL cold here.

With cold weather, you can generally dress warmly enough that you won't feel the cold after you've gone a few miles. The harder you ride, the less the cold matters. The biggest problem might be descents, after you're all sweaty, but if you adjust the route to eliminate big descents, it's not so bad.

Hot weather, there are legal limits to how much clothing you can remove, and the harder you ride the MORE the heat matters. I did one ride last summer when the temps for a lot of the ride were >95 and it was the SLOWEST ride I've done on that route by at least 1 mph average. Even descents didn't help much - the sweat evaporated so quickly that I didn't feel much relief (when it gets hot here it also gets DRY)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-01-24, 01:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
there are legal limits to how much clothing you can remove
You should tell Larry about that.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-01-24, 01:28 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
YMMV but for me ...
110s - not fun unless your wet and need a blow dry
100s - try to limit rides to approx 1 hr t prevent dehydration and heat exhaustion
90s - really need to hydrate lots
80s - still pretty nice
70s - ideal
60s - still pretty nice
50s - getting chilly
40s - really dont like riding these temps
30s - can do for shorter periods with right clothing
Likes For joesch:
Old 01-01-24, 01:33 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
For me the extremes are mid-20s to mid-90s. In either case, I'd generally limit the ride to around an hour and avoid if the next day or two looks better. Not sure on average speed although I find the cold is less draining until it starts getting into my bones.
Old 01-01-24, 01:38 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Anyone who says cold slows them down more has clearly never ridden in real heat.

You can mitigate cold by dressing warm. You can't do the same for heat because you can't get more naked than naked.

When the air temperature is warmer than body temperature, the wind is warming you up. Only evaporation cools you at that point. Performance tanks as you enter the early phase of heat stroke.
Old 01-01-24, 02:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

You can mitigate cold by dressing warm.
Dressing warm will only keep you warm, prevent hypothermia and prevent frostbite, it isn't going to make you go faster or make your ride more efficient...I don't know the science behind it but anybody including myself who has ridden in real cold knows that extreme cold does slow you down. Breathing in minus 20 Celsius is also a lot harder then breathing in plus 20 Celsius.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-01-24, 02:41 PM
Troul 

I'd expect the outside active people tracked data to show more numbers in cold weather deds compared to hot weather dedz.
Old 01-01-24, 09:58 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Dressing warm will only keep you warm, prevent hypothermia and prevent frostbite, it isn't going to make you go faster or make your ride more efficient...I don't know the science behind it but anybody including myself who has ridden in real cold knows that extreme cold does slow you down. Breathing in minus 20 Celsius is also a lot harder then breathing in plus 20 Celsius.
You shouldn't be comparing -20C with 20C. You should be comparing with 40C.

-20C is cold but manageable with the right kit. 40C is crippling no matter what you try to do.

Last edited by Yan; 01-01-24 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-01-24, 11:02 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Hot weather, not even close
Once you hit thermal limits, you have to slow down or cause damage.
Over 35c I'm probably down to 25-33% of normal output

Cold weather DOES have a performance penalty physically but it's only about 25% for me, then at a certain temp, your penalty is the clothing and equipment needed.
At the extremes, I'd have to agree. The only time I've ever hit a wall where I felt in danger of not being physically able to proceed safely was at 3PM in the middle of the summer on the last five miles of a 50 mile ride. I only finished by putting the bike into full "granny" and pedaling with the least effort possible to continue going forward. In retrospect, I should have stopped. Maybe below freezing would do the same if I weren't properly clothed. But I've only been dumb enuf to challenge the heat, not the cold.

As for time of year, it is way easier for me to get up early and cycle with temps in the 80-90s in the summer than to cycle in the 50s in the winter. I prefer warmth and sweating more to being chilled.
Old 01-02-24, 03:11 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
It seems to me, in general, cold air makes for more effort to move a bicycle, just like a baseball. Cold air has more density making it more difficult to displace. The attire one wears to keep warm has more mass, more wind resistance, and same with many riders old weather bike equipment.
Old 01-02-24, 09:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Too close for me to call.

Age is having more of an effect on me in the heat. I never really got acclimated to riding above 95F this summer, so I'm limited as to how hard I can push without overheating.

But in the cold (which I generally define as being below 15-25F), I haven't found any clothing combination that will let me ride hard. Tights that keep my legs warm also constrict and drag my legs; a jacket which allows for inner layers also produces drag. And even breathing through a balaclava doesn't warm the air enough to keep my lungs happy. So there is some limit to airspeed when it's cold where I try to balance energy production from pedaling, and still stay cool enough that I don't sweat more than my clothes can shed. And that limit is slower that I'd ride if it were 70F.
Old 01-02-24, 02:44 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Poll said "you" and "hot or cold". It didn't say extreme hot or extreme cold. Since that's what it says hot here is 95F and humid, extreme heat would be 102 and humid. Cold is 40F and extreme cold would be upper 20's.

So for ME, I'd say cold. I've worn the same kit for a time trial that was 95F and humid (club run) and a TT that was just above freezing (actual race). The hot weather is faster due to air density.

For a "just training riding" though, I'm faster in winter on gravel. Gravel is slow enough the aero difference of cold weather vs hot weather and air density don't seem to matter as much as the power boost of cold weather over hot. For general road riding? Probably still faster in summer, just browsing rides, due to air density and higher speed than gravel riding.

Like said above though, TT bike is hands down faster when warmer. Ideal though isn't "blazing" hot, but more like a humid 84 deg summer morning.

For "other people" it's known they crank the heat up in velodromes and add humidity if necessary to lower air density for hour records.
Old 01-02-24, 05:46 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Poll said "you" and "hot or cold". It didn't say extreme hot or extreme cold. <snip>
Actually, it does say "extreme" for hot and cold. Maybe it was edited?
Old 01-02-24, 11:13 PM
Troul 

if i have to poop, the cold weather gets a little more harder.

Ever try to get the winter gear off when the "kids" are at the "dock" ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.