Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Commuter bikes better exercise than road bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Commuter bikes better exercise than road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 02:31 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Exactly: physics. Which clearly and explicitly tells us that weight/mass has no effect on effort when riding with constant speed.
Uh uh. Added mass will increase rolling resistance. Not by a lot, but it's not zero.

And that pesky physics goes even further: it even tells us the same thing about riding a conservative non-flat course, i.e. any effort spent while climbing on a heavier bike will be compensated precisely by reduced effort while riding downhill on the same bicycle.
Nope. See wind drag. A hilly course always requires more energy expenditure than a flat course, because going faster increases wind drag.

Physics don't care.

Old 09-15-23, 02:38 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
And that pesky physics goes even further: it even tells us the same thing about riding a conservative non-flat course, i.e. any effort spent while climbing on a heavier bike will be compensated precisely by reduced effort while riding downhill on the same bicycle.

So, no matter how you slice it physics just can't stop reiterating: mass has no net effect on effort. But... what do physicians (sic) know about cycling, right?
There is no such thing as a conservative bike route. Gravity is the only conservative force involved. All the rest are non-conservative and the biggest one is non-linear. So it really won’t work out that way.

Extra weight will add a proportional amount to the work done by the rider climbing (when most of the work is being done against gravity).

On the downhill, it will not make a corresponding energy benefit because riders, especially non-racers such as commuters, will be sensible enough to coast downhill (assuming a freehub).

Either you will brake a tad more to hold a comfortable speed or coast a very tiny bit faster. No positive effect on total cycling work done during the ride and some net negative effect on overall average speed. That’s because the extra benefit of the weight downhill makes less difference in speed against the much higher air drag at high speed downhill.

Even for racers there won’t generally be much of a benefit because they will quickly speed up and then tuck and coast downhill once they spin out. So most of a downhill will still be zero pedaling effort regardless of weight.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-15-23 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-15-23, 03:10 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
There is.

The biggest problem with bike commuting is plain boredom. The boredom of riding the same route again, again and again, day after day. Of course, one can always alter their route to make things more interesting, but the number of practical ones is usually too limited.

And this is where "trying to go faster" comes into the picture. One finds a number of good segments along the route and tries to compete with oneself by riding them faster, faster and faster. This is something to look forward to while riding a commuting route. That's something that makes things more interesting.

This is something I found in my 25 years of bike commuting.
This. Some people take the commute very seriously and there are some contested segments with heavy hitters etc.
Old 09-15-23, 03:14 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
There is no such thing as a conservative bike route. Gravity is the only conservative force involved.
... and the only force we are talking about here. Since the topic is how the bicycle mass affects the effort. So, yes, there is such thing as conservative bike route.

All the rest are non-conservative and the biggest one is non-linear.
... and irrelevant, since none of them are bicycle-mass-related in any sufficiently significant way.

So it really won’t work out that way.
Um... Given the above, I don't know what to make out of this strange statement.

Extra weight will add a proportional amount to the work done by the rider climbing (when most of the work is being done against gravity).
Precisely.

On the downhill, it will not make a corresponding energy benefit because riders, especially non-racers such as commuters, will be sensible enough to coast downhill (assuming a freehub).
... and that is exactly "a corresponding energy benefit". Everything spent climbing will be returned ~100% on the downhill. The only problem is that you cannot convert that returned effort into "uneffort": you can't pump it back into your stamina or use it to restore your blood glucose level. (But this, as I have already stated above, is beyond physics.)

All you can do on the downhill is make sure the returned energy benefit is used purely mechanically to accelerate you and your bike as much as possible.
Old 09-15-23, 03:24 PM
AndreyT

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Uh uh. Added mass will increase rolling resistance. Not by a lot, but it's not zero.
Compared to the forces being discussed, the contribution of rolling resistance is so disappearingly small as to be completely irrelevant. Its contribution is below the noise floor. The ultra-precise measuring equipment capable of detecting its existence seem to be kept in deep underground chambers under seven seals in some companies' marketing departments

Nope. See wind drag. A hilly course always requires more energy expenditure than a flat course, because going faster increases wind drag.
It must be that mysterious relationship between bicycle weight and wind drag: everyone knows it does not exist, yet for some reason it periodically pops up in low-educational-level internet debates

Last edited by AndreyT; 09-15-23 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-15-23, 03:35 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Um... Given the above, I don't know what to make out of this strange statement.
Ok.

Otto
Old 09-15-23, 04:04 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
There is no such thing as a conservative bike route.
You haven't ridden through Texas.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-15-23, 04:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 833 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
... which is why freight trains are powered by hamsters.
They're very strong hamsters. And they're unionized.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-15-23, 04:15 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

I have a range of bicycles from my light full-531 Raleigh Pro to my Chicago-forged, Wald-basketed neighborhood cruiser, and quite a few in between. I'd estimate the Pro or my "speedy" cruiser use about half the effort of my more-substantial bicycles, but I enjoy riding all of them. I look at it this way: the heavier bikes give me a "quality workout" on a per-mile basis, and I do notice the speed boost when I switch to a lighter machine.
Old 09-15-23, 04:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Compared to the forces being discussed, the contribution of rolling resistance is so disappearingly small as to be completely irrelevant. Its contribution is below the noise floor. The ultra-precise measuring equipment capable of detecting its existence seem to be kept in deep underground chambers under seven seals in some companies' marketing departments
There are four basic forces that oppose the forward motion of a bicycle, and three of those depend on the mass of the bicycle. You are imposing unrealistic constraints to eliminate those three forces so that you can make a blanket statement about the mass not making a difference. At best, that's sloppy and misleading physics.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-23, 04:40 PM
AndreyT

There are four basic forces that oppose the forward motion of a bicycle, and three of those depend on the mass of the bicycle. You are imposing unrealistic constraints to eliminate those three forces so that you can make a blanket statement about the mass not making a difference. At best, that's sloppy and misleading physics.
As it is virtually always the case, such aggressively assertive statements lack any specifics. It wouldn't be that difficult to name those "forces" (that "depend on the mass of the bicycle"), would it? But alas, we are seeing only smoke here... Ordinary weaseling, you say? Might be... But I'd guess it is simply because most of these "fundamental forces" have already been more than satisfactorily taken into account, analyzed and accounted for above.

In other words, same thing as with the previous trolling/smoke-pumping attempt

... which is why freight trains are powered by hamsters.
Old 09-15-23, 04:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
A hilly course always requires more energy expenditure than a flat course, because going faster increases wind drag.
It must be that mysterious relationship between bicycle weight and wind drag: everyone knows it does not exist, yet for some reason it periodically pops up in low-educational-level internet debates
It's a simple yet subtle relationship (too subtle for some, apparently ).

Why does it take more energy to move a heavy bike up and down a hilly course? Because of wind drag.

Holding everything else constant (rider, power, position, etc), a heavy bike will be slower on the uphill, but only a little faster on the downhill.

Consider a 5 km 6% course. Rider goes up it, turns around and coasts back down to the start. Default bike weighs 9.5 kg, heavy bike weighs 19.5 kg.

The heavier bike will be 10.1% slower on the climb, but only 6.0% faster on the descent. Why the difference? Wind drag. That extra potential energy of the heavier bike at the top of the hill is spent pushing through the air, and since wind drag increases as the velocity squared, it wastes a bunch of that energy.

Old 09-15-23, 04:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Larry has a knack for bringing them out.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-15-23, 04:53 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Bike commuting has nothing on tree trimming without power tools. Just sayin'.
Old 09-15-23, 04:57 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Larry has a knack for bringing them out.
I know right?? I was reading through this thinking what a success Larry had on his hands.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 09-15-23, 04:59 PM
tomato coupe

As it is virtually always the case, such aggressively assertive statements lack any specifics. It wouldn't be that difficult to name those "forces" (that "depend on the mass of the bicycle"), would it? But alas, we are seeing only smoke here... Ordinary weaseling, you say? Might be... But I'd guess it is simply because most of these "fundamental forces" have already been more than satisfactorily taken into account, analyzed and accounted for above.

In other words, same thing as with the previous trolling/smoke-pumping attempt
No, it's not difficult to name the four forces, but I assumed that I wouldn't have to list them for someone with such a deep understanding of physics. The four forces are well known and arise from: aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance, acceleration, and change in potential energy due to gravity. All but aerodynamic drag depend on the mass of the bicycle.
Old 09-15-23, 05:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
There is.

The biggest problem with bike commuting is plain boredom. The boredom of riding the same route again, again and again, day after day. Of course, one can always alter their route to make things more interesting, but the number of practical ones is usually too limited.

And this is where "trying to go faster" comes into the picture. One finds a number of good segments along the route and tries to compete with oneself by riding them faster, faster and faster. This is something to look forward to while riding a commuting route. That's something that makes things more interesting.

This is something I found in my 25 years of bike commuting.
Very dependent on the level of traffic and congestion. I was 18-27 miles one way in Brooklyn, then the beach area, then endless turns and short local streets. Too many traffic lights in Brooklyn, too many pedestrians and other cyclists elsewhere, as well as too much vehicle traffic to want to push for speed. It was simply too dangerous. I had 54 turns and local streets in the last 8 miles. I wasn’t using those as hard training efforts. I really needed to pay attention on this commute, doing hard efforts was impossible, but YMMV
Old 09-15-23, 05:39 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
In my 25 years of bike commuting I found there was nothing to be gained by trying to go faster. I saved my hard workouts for the weekends ont he faster group rides. Trying to save time on a commute often put me in conflict with cars, I would try to beat a soon channging traffic light, I wasn't paying attention, etc..... i found a slower steady pace was safer. I did use a lighter road/sport touring bike whenever possible as it was easier to get back upo to speed after countless traffic lights. I was leaving clothes and shoes at work so didn't have to carry panniers.
I was joking, but what I said was still true.
Old 09-15-23, 05:53 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
???

Not clear to me why "heavier" and "less efficient" are lumped together here. Less efficient bike will indeed need more effort. A heavier bike will not need more effort. Bike weight has no effect of effort, unless you are talking about exclusively uphill riding.
A heavier bike will require more rider effort if any of the commute is uphill or requires any accelerations.
Old 09-15-23, 06:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I was joking, but what I said was still true.
No argument, really depends on circumstances, road traffic, how busy, etc,,,,
Old 09-15-23, 06:07 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The heavier bike will be 10.1% slower on the climb, but only 6.0% faster on the descent.
Not only that, but because the descent takes far less time than the climb, the time costs and benefits are even bigger than the difference in the ratios of speed.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-15-23, 07:01 PM
LarrySellerz

No, it's not difficult to name the four forces, but I assumed that I wouldn't have to list them for someone with such a deep understanding of physics. The four forces are well known and arise from: aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance, acceleration, and change in potential energy due to gravity. All but aerodynamic drag depend on the mass of the bicycle.
Friction internal to the bicycle system (drivechain inefficiencies, wheels rubbing on brakes) is another force that is sometimes dominant. Aerodynamic drag not depending on mass? Sounds like you buy into that obviously farcical test where they dropped a hammer and feather on "the moon" and they fell at the same speed.
Old 09-15-23, 07:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Bike commuting has nothing on tree trimming without power tools. Just sayin'.
Cheaper than the gym...
Old 09-15-23, 07:10 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Friction internal to the bicycle system (drivechain inefficiencies, wheels rubbing on brakes) is another force that is sometimes dominant.
Those forces don't oppose the forward motion of a bicycle; they just affect the efficiency with which power reaches the rear wheels of the bicycle.
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Aerodynamic drag not depending on mass? Sounds like you buy into that obviously farcical test where they dropped a hammer and feather on "the moon" and they fell at the same speed.
Aerodynamic drag does not depend on mass. Ask some of the people you work with.
Old 09-15-23, 07:21 PM
LarrySellerz

Those forces don't oppose the forward motion of a bicycle; they just affect the efficiency with which power reaches the rear wheels of the bicycle.

Aerodynamic drag does not depend on mass. Ask some of the people you work with.
They also buy into the hammer/feather thing and now that I'm full time and making $$ I don't bring it up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.