Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you use the same bike with trainer that you ride outdoors?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-22, 03:46 PM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I know they're designed to be quick release to use that way, just wondering if anyone does that? Is there more or a chance that the rear tire might blow out, or would you see the wear before it ever got to that point?
Old 09-04-22, 03:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I use the same bike, but I prefer the wheel-off trainers - they're generally more quiet, it takes tire wear out of the equation, you don't have to worry about wheel/tire slip and I find set-up to be less fussy.

With the wheel-on trainers that I used in the past, I preferred to have a dedicated trainer tire - for me, a trainer tire was more quiet, less prone to slip during sprint-type efforts and less likely to cast off black rubber dust. This, of course, meant that I'd either have to have a dedicated trainer wheel or I'd have to change the tire if I wanted to take the bike out for a ride.
Old 09-04-22, 04:47 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I have one bike and no room for a 2nd, so same bike, but different tire, so it's not an easy switch. This coming indoor riding season I expect to use a different tire and different wheel, so the switch to riding on the road will be easier. I think. My skills have definitely deteriorated.

OTOH, my bike lives in our foyer, which is where I ride my trainer, and my wife does not object. She's a peach.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-04-22, 05:29 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I use a Wahoo kickr Bike.
It is configure exactly the same size as my road bikes, even with the same saddle brand/model.
Best part is it's always ready to go.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 09-04-22, 06:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Have a dedicated trainer bike which uses a freewheel rather than a rear tire. Wahoo Kickr. Adjusting the rear mech between two gear sets is too much of a PITA, so it stays there.

Had a squirrel cage ‘trainer’ many years ago and it ate tires after it would glaze them over.

Old 09-04-22, 06:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i have one bike i can ride and i use it on the road and with a wheel off trainer. sort of stinks but only really a hassle when the riding season winds down or up.
Old 09-05-22, 08:07 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I have a wheel-off Wahoo Kickr Core trainer with an 2016 Orbea Avant permanently attached. Before purchasing the Orbea, I would mount my Cannondale Synapse to the trainer only during the Winter months. I found the Orbea on Facebook Marketplace. It was being sold locally, in near-new condition, priced right and the test ride was comfortable.

I had it adjusted to match the settings from when I had the Synapse professionally fitted. Both bikes now feel almost identical and I can now use the trainer when the weather is lousy during the riding months and throughout the Winter without having to mount the Synapse on it.

Very happy with this 2-bike setup and consider the money spent on the Orbea well-spent. The only difference is the Synapse was ugraded to an Ultegra Di2 groupset while the Orbea has a mechanical Ultegra groupset….but I can live with that. It does, though, give me an appreciation fr how good the Di2 system is!
Old 09-05-22, 09:15 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
I know they're designed to be quick release to use that way, just wondering if anyone does that? Is there more or a chance that the rear tire might blow out, or would you see the wear before it ever got to that point?
Simpler solution: get a set of rollers. Nothing to change and no tire wear issues so no special tires needed. Is better for your riding skills too, making you a much smoother and stable rider.
Old 09-05-22, 09:16 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
When I had a wheel-on trainer, I used the same bike inside and outside because it could a few seconds to set up and I used the trainer almost like a stand.

Now I've moved to a wheel off trainer, the bike stays on the trainer unless I really want to use it, otherwise I take my other bike out. It doesn't even take that long to detach it and put the back wheel on, but I'm lazy and the other bike is just ready to ride.

Last edited by Herzlos; 09-05-22 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-05-22, 09:24 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I just bought a Saris H3 (on sale at REI) and am thinking about this while I wait for delivery.

My wife and I have primary rides that are titanium and steel, respectively. Contrary to some claims, neither of these is necessarily less fragile than carbon, and in our cases, it is more expensive. So the question arises, are we putting these bikes at a significant risk by putting them on a direct-drive trainer? The stays are designed to support a rear wheel, and I doubt the forces imparted while in the trainer are identical.

(I also have an inexpensive aluminum frame bike that isn't being used right now, so it might make more sense to use that, but it is kind of like people who won't use their fine dinner plates when they eat for fear of breaking them.)
Old 09-05-22, 09:27 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Simpler solution: get a set of rollers. Nothing to change and no tire wear issues so no special tires needed. Is better for your riding skills too, making you a much smoother and stable rider.
I tried that in 1992. It lasted about a week until I gave them away. My attention wandered, and the next thing I knew, I was smacking into the closet doors.

I think many people want variable resistance "smart" trainers that play with Zwift, etc. Are there rollers that do that?
Old 09-05-22, 09:30 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Barry2
It is configure exactly the same size as my road bikes, even with the same saddle brand/model.

Barry
I would love to have one of those, but for me it is hard to justify the expense, and the space, and given that I live near the Bay Area where I can ride year-round.

But then I saw where you live ...
Old 09-05-22, 09:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I tried that in 1992. It lasted about a week until I gave them away. My attention wandered, and the next thing I knew, I was smacking into the closet doors.

I think many people want variable resistance "smart" trainers that play with Zwift, etc. Are there rollers that do that?
Yes Dorthy, wishes can come true: https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...rs/kickr-rollr

Old 09-05-22, 09:54 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts

Barry
Same, but I’m cheap so I didn’t match the saddles.

have the settings written down so my wife and I can both use it. Even have different saddles and posts (his and hers) that can be easily swapped.
Old 09-05-22, 10:02 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by rsbob
The DC Rainmaker review of this is ... unflattering.
Old 09-05-22, 10:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

The DC Rainmaker review of this is ... unflattering.
to quote George Carlin, “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?” Besides, no one questioned how good it was, only if it existed.

Old 09-05-22, 10:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I too was an abject failure with rollers. Placed it in a door way so I had something to initially gain my balance, but inevitably I would lose concentration and have to grab the door way. Made a concerted effort to master the damn thing but never got really good where I could just get on it and mindlessly ride it. Ended up giving it away after a month and went with a mindless noisy squirrel cage.

Old 09-05-22, 10:25 AM
alpharalpha

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
When I had a wheel-on trainer, I used the same bike inside and outside because it could a few seconds to set up and I used the trainer almost like a stand.

Now I've moved to a wheel off trainer, the bike stays on the trainer unless I really want to use it, otherwise I take my other bike out. It doesn't even take that long to detach it and put the back wheel on, but I'm lazy and the other bike is just ready to ride.
When you used the bike for wheel on trainer & outdoors how'd that go; did you have any issues with rear tire?
Old 09-05-22, 12:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I would love to have one of those, but for me it is hard to justify the expense, and the space, and given that I live near the Bay Area where I can ride year-round.

But then I saw where you live ...
It's going to be 114F today in my part of the East Bay Area.

I'm going to be riding @ 72F !!!!!

Year-round my tush.

Barry
Old 09-05-22, 01:12 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
When you used the bike for wheel on trainer & outdoors how'd that go; did you have any issues with rear tire?
It was fine. I've heard about problems with wearing the tire flat in the middle from the roller but you'd need to be doing a lot of miles on it. I was just using the tire that was on the bike for using outdoors.

If you're worried about it, just keep a close eye on the tread/wear and replace it earlier than you otherwise would.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 09-05-22, 04:40 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I'm going to be riding @ 72F !!!!!

Year-round my tush.

Barry

Thankfully, I live near the shoreline, so it is only 109°F here. Even with air conditioning, the only thing I am doing with the bike is changing the bar tape.
Old 09-05-22, 05:22 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
On the cooler side of the Bay, my ride today got up to just 108F.

All things considered, it wasn't that bad. As long as I kept moving.

Cooling down at Starbucks

Likes For terrymorse: