Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to wash my bike with wash gun?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to wash my bike with wash gun?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-21, 06:07 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
More than anything, and I'm concerned about bearing seals standing up to it, I wouldn't want to do it to the chain.

I don't like the idea of washing it, or rinsing it, or soaking it, or anything like that. I won't ride my good bike in the rain. When I clean my chain, I wipe it with a rag that's only damp, not wet, with solvent, and I don't go anywhere near it with any sort of emulsifier. I'd prefer not to push any more crap inside it than I can help.

#neverbeenwashed
Old 06-23-21, 08:59 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
But can you show us that the bike you've been powerwashing for 30 years still works?
I can promise the one bike I've had for over 30 years that I've "powerwashed" constantly still works. Here is proof.

Last edited by KJ43; 06-23-21 at 09:04 AM.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 06-23-21, 09:01 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
With respect, no reputable school instructs it’s mechanic trainees not to use a torque wrench under all reasonable situations. I assume you feel the same way about the aircraft mechanics servicing any plane you are on. The same goes for using a pressure washer around bearings sealed or not, it’s not a good idea.
The whole plan is to NOT aim at the bearings. It's not rocket surgery. When you're a team mechanic the bikes you take care of have to be spotless...every day...all of them. For me that was between 12 and 15 bikes normally. Add in the normal checks and adjustments, and repairs if anyone crashed. I don't want to be up all night every night if I don't have to. I'm going to find the most efficient way to do my job(s) and use that method. For us team guys that means a bucket w/ suds and either a pressure washer or a hose w/ a trigger nozzle thing. Don't worry, we know better than to aim directly at hubs, headsets, and bottom brackets.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-23-21, 10:58 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by cxwrench
The whole plan is to NOT aim at the bearings. It's not rocket surgery. When you're a team mechanic the bikes you take care of have to be spotless...every day...all of them. For me that was between 12 and 15 bikes normally. Add in the normal checks and adjustments, and repairs if anyone crashed. I don't want to be up all night every night if I don't have to. I'm going to find the most efficient way to do my job(s) and use that method. For us team guys that means a bucket w/ suds and either a pressure washer or a hose w/ a trigger nozzle thing. Don't worry, we know better than to aim directly at hubs, headsets, and bottom brackets.
Exactly. Heaven forbid that there is a reasonable solution that doesn't exist at each extreme (not using a hose or pressure washer at all / destroying your bearings by pointing a high pressure stream at the weak points).
Old 06-23-21, 11:38 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Exactly. Heaven forbid that there is a reasonable solution that doesn't exist at each extreme (not using a hose or pressure washer at all / destroying your bearings by pointing a high pressure stream at the weak points).
If bikes were as fragile as most people are making them out to be, I'd be afraid to ride them at all. Use your head, use common sense, and it will be fine.

Or let your bike stay dirty. Or take way more time than is necessary cleaning it with a toothbrush and a teacup to rinse with. Some people posting on here have tens of thousands of miles on bikes w/o major issues after cleaning their bikes with powerwashers and/or garden hoses with spray nozzles. Our bottom brackets haven't seized, our hubs still roll just fine. Imagine that?

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 06-23-21, 12:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Just point the wash gun at the bike and hold down the wash trigger until you're out of wash bullets
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-23-21, 01:37 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
(Documentation) also provides a higher level of professionalism for the customer to see this kind of thing.
Documentation also is vital for professional liability protection. Some insurance policies require shops to keep written records of work performed, signed by the worker.

Old 06-23-21, 04:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I've got no horse in this race, but really how long do Team bikes have to last.. 1 yr, 2 yrs?
Old 06-23-21, 07:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've got no horse in this race, but really how long do Team bikes have to last.. 1 yr, 2 yrs?
til the end of the stage
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-23-21, 10:04 PM
cxwrench

Depends...for a World Tour level team, not very long. For the team I worked for most recently they generally had to make it through the season. The parts didn't have to last long, they can always be replaced. But as I posted before I don't want to do anything to damage them as that would just require me to spend more time replacing them. I don't remember ever having to replace a bottom bracket or headset or even hub bearings during a season. We re-used wheels for at least 2 seasons if there weren't any major changes from Zipp. I would take care of them in the off season if they needed it.
Old 06-24-21, 01:33 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

So who's down with detergent or degreasers on chains then?
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-24-21, 10:15 AM
cxwrench

That's how I clean my chain. Pedro's degreaser brushed onto the chain followed by wrapping a sudsy sponge wrapped around it then rinsed w/ water. If it's hot I don't even bother to dry it by hand, I just wait a few minutes a lube it. The horror
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-24-21, 04:11 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Same here cxwrench
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-24-21, 04:22 PM
Kimmo

Old 06-24-21, 05:55 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
I am selective on where I use high pressure water. I spray the face of my crank rings, not the bearing area. I also very carefully spray the chain and derailuer but not the bearing areas of the freewheel. The rest of the bike gets soap water and soft brush.

I then hit it with the leaf blower and spray the entire bicycle with Armorall Tire foam. From there its a matter of wiping all the foam off.

Next comes Oil and Grease...

That is as many shortcuts as I take, and that's on my Franken Bikes. If I had one of those high dollar bikes I would be even more selective.
Old 06-24-21, 06:01 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
This is why I have not taken a bike to a shop mech in 18 yrs. Never again.
Old 06-24-21, 08:09 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
No way I’m dousing my bike with a hose. No need.

Mostly, I just mist the bike with detail spray and wipe. On greasy areas I spray some degreaser and wipe.
Old 06-24-21, 09:24 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Originally Posted by GBK233
No way I’m dousing my bike with a hose. No need.

Mostly, I just mist the bike with detail spray and wipe. On greasy areas I spray some degreaser and wipe.
Originally Posted by popeye
This is why I have not taken a bike to a shop mech in 18 yrs. Never again.
Why you guys so scared of water? It's borderline psychotic. If you're saying it can't be done then you're ignorant. If you're saying that I'm not telling the truth that makes you a liar. You ever seen a pro team mechanic clean a bike with a pack of moist towlettes? Just admit that some things that are beyond your ability are actually quite possible for others to do.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-24-21, 10:46 PM
Kimmo

I've never been under that much time pressure that what seems like a bad idea seemed like a good idea. I lube everything with precision, and regularly wipe off excess chain lube, so my bikes stay pretty clean. Pressure wash just seems like unnecessary overkill, unless I was a team mechanic or tackling something covered in mud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_principle
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-25-21, 07:17 AM
GBK233

Why you guys so scared of water? It's borderline psychotic. If you're saying it can't be done then you're ignorant. If you're saying that I'm not telling the truth that makes you a liar. You ever seen a pro team mechanic clean a bike with a pack of moist towlettes? Just admit that some things that are beyond your ability are actually quite possible for others to do.

You’re confusing “scared” with….”there’s no need”.

Completely dousing and/or foaming a bike is mainly to satisfy owner’s OCD rather than an actual need for that amount of cleaning imo.

If a bike is truly getting all muddied up….then sure, wash it down. But to pressure wash etc it to get road dust off….is a bit of overkill imo.
Old 06-25-21, 07:21 AM
Kimmo

Like those guys who use a damn blower when they should get some quiet exercise with a broom.

Let's roll that chore with coal.
Old 06-25-21, 09:05 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

You guys are hilarious and I love the hyperbolic use of comparing the simple act of washing your bike bike using a hose or pressure washer with rolling coal. That's a great touch and really adds a sense of urgency to the point you are trying to make.

There is "no need" to even wash your bike when you get right down to it but a hose sure makes it an easy chore to complete.
Old 06-25-21, 09:19 AM
cxwrench

You’re confusing “scared” with….”there’s no need”.

Completely dousing and/or foaming a bike is mainly to satisfy owner’s OCD rather than an actual need for that amount of cleaning imo.

If a bike is truly getting all muddied up….then sure, wash it down. But to pressure wash etc it to get road dust off….is a bit of overkill imo.
"In your opinion".
Old 06-25-21, 09:49 AM
GBK233

"In your opinion".
kind of. I wrote “imo” to try and be polite.

one would be hard pressed to prove a “need” to power wash or hose wash a bike…..it’s more of an “I want to” thing. And that’s perfectly fine, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking hosing down a bike is actually necessary unless the bike has been run through mud or crashed into a pile of dirt.
Which of course, brings us back to my original contention….that OCD is the driving factor behind wanting to go to the trouble/hassle of foaming, hosing down, and blow drying a bike just to get road dust off it.
Old 06-25-21, 10:05 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

that OCD is the driving factor behind wanting to go to the trouble/hassle of foaming, hosing down, and blow drying a bike just to get road dust off it.
You sure are trying hard. "OCD is the driving factor", "blow drying"? "trouble/hassle". Please, try harder to make the simple act off washing your bike to seem as onerous as possible. You could take a cue from Kimmo above, maybe equate using a hose on your bike with the plague or a nuclear holocaust.

Its a convenient and easy way to wash your bike. Of course, imo.
Likes For KJ43:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.