Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone been bullied for Cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone been bullied for Cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 01:46 AM
alaskanb3arcub

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've defended my right to the road in (civil) internet debate, but the only in-person bullying came from my *brother*("Ride on the sidewalk!" My other brother's response: "Uh... side*WALK*?")... who knows I don't drive, ride in the road(and he is even aware that traffic code CLEARLY states I am allowed)... in front of my (semi)niece at the age of maybe 5 or 6. The first time I warned him not to(after I had time to cool off), but he did it AGAIN, this time with my actual niece and nephew present(My mom and youngest brother signaling him a strong NOOOOooooo right before he did it). Oooooh the vocabulary they would have learned if I hadn't already been headed out the door both times....
Old 04-25-14, 01:47 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by casio04330
I have people yelling stuff at me from cars all the time.
Like "Nice bike fa*" and "BIKE ARE FOR PUS**IES"
But today i went and did laundry and some guy was like "you bike people are all hippy commies and don't contribute to the economy" I asked the man to get away from me and then went into the bathroom to refill my water bottle from the sink.. when i came back out he was like "Oh, You people think you're so better than everyone"

Why do people not like bike riders..
A few days ago some teens where throwing bricks off a bridge just at bike riders..
I don't see any of this as "bullying", which is such an overused and victim-mentality word. Can't people just be ass holes? I've had people yell a few things at me as I've gone by.... some of it I feel is them entertaining themselves and some of it maybe not. Either way I keep an eye on them and make sure I'm out of feasible range. This is has probably happened a total of eight times my entire life.

Either way if I get something yelled at me I ignore it as if it didn't happen or if it was particularly clever I will smile and wave. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Now the brick throwing thing... THAT is certainly a problem. Still not a bullying thing, just people being jerks.
Old 04-25-14, 02:38 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have people yelling stuff at me from cars all the time.
Like "Nice bike fa*" and "BIKE ARE FOR PUS**IES"
But today i went and did laundry and some guy was like "you bike people are all hippie commies and don't contribute to the economy" I asked the man to get away from me and then went into the bathroom to refill my water bottle from the sink.. when i came back out he was like "Oh, You people think you're so better than everyone"

Why do people not like bike riders..
People are getting squeezed by life and they're looking for easy targets to direct their pain towards.

You might want to look into some statistics. Actually, as I recall, cyclists add more to the local economy than motorists.

I've been attacked while on the bike many times, but never thought if it as bullying. It's been french fries and it's been pellet guns.

The only time that seems to stick out as bullying was from a younger cyclist. He deliberately ran his back tire over my front tire to drop me. I picked myself off the pavement and rode on. As I passed him, he stiff-armed me into traffic which ended up dumping us both onto the street when my rear wheel tacoed from the lateral force.

I would have called the cops, but cops had already not responded to my being assaulted by a '64 Chevy Impala years earlier and I suspected that the kid on the bike was a jr. gang member. I learned later that the gang in that area was MS 13 in their early days. I had to ride through that neighborhood five days a week and I thought it wiser to let it go.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-25-14, 06:09 AM
tsincognito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Originally Posted by mlander
Nah, it was a good post. Wondering how you're doing now with those lungs?
Doing amazing. Three years out and no issues to speak of. Went for a 50 mile ride yesterday and although I bonked out for the last 5 miles (rookie error, lacked enough food in 90 degree weather) my lungs are never an issue riding. Just legs!
Old 04-25-14, 07:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While not bullied, some of my friends give me grief about riding my bikes. They are my age, fat, and out of shape and in far worse condition than I am at 75. BTW I ave about 2500 miles per year, depending on the weather. However they handle their TV remote much faster than I do.
Old 04-25-14, 07:50 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
People are getting squeezed by life and they're looking for easy targets to direct their pain towards.

You might want to look into some statistics. Actually, as I recall, cyclists add more to the local economy than motorists.

I've been attacked while on the bike many times, but never thought if it as bullying. It's been french fries and it's been pellet guns.

The only time that seems to stick out as bullying was from a younger cyclist. He deliberately ran his back tire over my front tire to drop me. I picked myself off the pavement and rode on. As I passed him, he stiff-armed me into traffic which ended up dumping us both onto the street when my rear wheel tacoed from the lateral force.

I would have called the cops, but cops had already not responded to my being assaulted by a '64 Chevy Impala years earlier and I suspected that the kid on the bike was a jr. gang member. I learned later that the gang in that area was MS 13 in their early days. I had to ride through that neighborhood five days a week and I thought it wiser to let it go.
Dang. You're a better man than I. I probably would have tried to kick him in the face and/or the nads with my cleats after that.
Old 04-25-14, 10:26 AM
casio04330
bicycle snobs stay away.

Bikes: 26" Huffy Cranbrook Men's Cruiser Bike with allen sports trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone chucked one of them apple pie things from Mc.Clowns (as i call it) at me..
I work at wendys and was on my way to work.. So that was weird.. I was in full uniform going slow so i did not get sweaty pits.. and i end up with apple pie on me...

It was a McDonald's hot apple pie. They're not kidding. It was hot.

Last edited by casio04330; 04-25-14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-25-14, 01:37 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Someone chucked one of them apple pie things from Mc.Clowns (as i call it) at me..
I work at wendys and was on my way to work.. So that was weird.. I was in full uniform going slow so i did not get sweaty pits.. and i end up with apple pie on me...

It was a McDonald's hot apple pie. They're not kidding. It was hot.
If it any comfort to you I really like a double Baconator with tomato. Thank you.
Old 04-25-14, 01:42 PM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FMB42
I've never had anyone say anything derogatory to me while I've been riding a bicycle, hiking, or motorcycling, etc. Or at least not that I could hear...

However, this apparently is not so uncommon with male bicyclists that wear spandex. And no, I don't have anything against such riders like some people do; I'm just stating what I've heard over the last couple of decades of riding.
Sometimes I cycle in regular clothes, sometimes I wear shorts and a jersey. In my experience what you are wearing doesn't matter. The fact that you are riding a bike on the road is what matters to the kinds of ******bags who decide to yell something.

Btw, my favorite was a car full of young Republican looking boys. We waited at a red light together, when it turned green the guy in back yells "****ing liberal". Unfortunately for him they caught the next red. I pulled up next to him and said "I prefer the term communist." he just sat there pretending I didn't exist. I was chuckling for the rest of the day...
Old 04-25-14, 04:22 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
If it any comfort to you I really like a double Baconator with tomato. Thank you.
Their salads are tasty too, especially when paired with a frosty.
Old 04-25-14, 06:03 PM
Njbudman81

Bikes: 2014 Trek 3700 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can say one thing. I hate the bike couriers in Philadelphia. They are a serious danger on the streets. They have no regard for anyone's safety. Those guys cause some confrontations and it gives all riders a bad name. Then people assume all riders are the same as those guys.
Old 04-26-14, 08:10 AM
casio04330
bicycle snobs stay away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
things seem to be evening out now because today I got about seven compliments about my bike..
Old 04-26-14, 10:08 AM
pizza777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only been cursed at by drivers or pedestrians. Sometimes when I ride on a sidewalk for a 20 seconds to get to another road without dismounting someone will make an annoying comment.

I was also once pulled off of my bike from behind while riding by a police officer.

One afternoon when I was riding the subway I witnessed a crotchety older man have a meltdown because of a hipster and his bike. He first nicely asked about the bike and complimented it. Then he said why isn't he riding it instead of taking up space on the train. And then proceeded to start screaming about hipsters, gentrification and old New York.
Old 04-26-14, 01:11 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
While not bullied, some of my friends give me grief about riding my bikes. They are my age, fat, and out of shape and in far worse condition than I am at 75. BTW I ave about 2500 miles per year, depending on the weather. However they handle their TV remote much faster than I do.
This.

I think a lot of "bullying" comes from jealousy. They depend upon cars much more than you do. They're in much worse shape than you are. Or maybe they just don't know how much fun it is to ride. I was off my bike for 2 months due to an injury. Now that I'm back in the saddle, I can't ride enough!

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 04-27-14, 04:15 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
I probably would have tried to kick him in the face and/or the nads with my cleats after that.
You probably wouldn't if you knew what MS13 is. They make Bloods and Crips look like housecats. After we tumbled, I screamed at him and he gave me a mock-surprise "No comprende Inglés" look.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-27-14 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-27-14, 05:26 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
That sounds like a concealed carry moment...
OMG! Moderators! He's not one of us!

Old 04-27-14, 05:33 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SnowJob
Sometimes I cycle in regular clothes, sometimes I wear shorts and a jersey. In my experience what you are wearing doesn't matter. The fact that you are riding a bike on the road is what matters to the kinds of ******bags who decide to yell something.

Btw, my favorite was a car full of young Republican looking boys. We waited at a red light together, when it turned green the guy in back yells "****ing liberal". Unfortunately for him they caught the next red. I pulled up next to him and said "I prefer the term communist." he just sat there pretending I didn't exist. I was chuckling for the rest of the day...
Maybe if people were aware than conservatives ride bikes, and 2nd Amendment folks don't like having their lives threatened, this kind of stuff wouldn't go on. There are some people who insist on politicizing EVERYTHING, including bicycles, and they just make life miserable for the rest of us.

Old 04-27-14, 08:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
dudel

I am a bed rock conservative. So much so that I think that Attila the Hun may have had lace on his under lovelies. Yet the most vocal of my friends that snip at me for cycling is a liberal. Takes all kinds.
Old 04-27-14, 08:26 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mlander
On topic with thread: yes, I've had a lot of stuff shouted at me.

Cars are a very deeply entrenched part of American culture. I believe the perception is that if you are riding a bike, you are rejecting American culture. You are an affront to the American way of life. You are practically a flag-burner.

Perhaps there is a component of badly misguided, deranged patriotism. Or just simple and plain, small-minded prejudice.

It’s easy to withdraw into our most crude animal instincts. It is more difficult to overcome them and strive to accept beliefs and ideas that are unfamiliar and discomforting (like Spandex). The vast majority are going to take the path of least resistance
Reminds me of the saying that the British way is to drive your Japanese car to pick up your Indian meal, then sit down with your Belgian chocolate and German beer, watching your TV that was made in Korea while wearing clothes made in China, and complain about all the foreigners.
Old 04-27-14, 09:40 AM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Maybe if people were aware than conservatives ride bikes, and 2nd Amendment folks don't like having their lives threatened, this kind of stuff wouldn't go on. There are some people who insist on politicizing EVERYTHING, including bicycles, and they just make life miserable for the rest of us.
I think that this was less about politics and more about that guy being an a-hole.
Old 04-28-14, 06:46 AM
casio04330
bicycle snobs stay away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't wait till this summer when i will bike the whole rail trail.
Old 04-28-14, 07:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
You probably wouldn't if you knew what MS13 is. They make Bloods and Crips look like housecats...
^ True. A national plague. They'll just as soon cut off your hands as slit your throat for an offense. Ruthless...
Old 04-28-14, 08:16 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
Reminds me of the saying that the British way is to drive your Japanese car to pick up your Indian meal, then sit down with your Belgian chocolate and German beer, watching your TV that was made in Korea while wearing clothes made in China, and complain about all the foreigners.
Hah, I conjured up something similar about the "American" way, though I put a more positive upspin on it. Personally, I like foreigners. Glad I'm not the only one thinking of that kind of thing...

More OT, I don't think I'd call it bullying but I've had misc. gate guards on base want me to get on the sidewalk coming in during the morning. Including today. I am in no way a hazard - lots of people bike on. I notice that it is more frequent when I ride my junky hybrid than my road bike, though that could be coincidence. There's bike lanes coming into Gate 1, but none at Gate 2 - which I live across the street from :/

M.
Old 04-28-14, 08:16 AM
casio04330
bicycle snobs stay away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ True. A national plague. They'll just as soon cut off your hands as slit your throat for an offense. Ruthless...
The police should just have a shoot on sight rule when it comes to gangbaggers
Old 04-28-14, 10:51 AM
casio04330
bicycle snobs stay away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speaking of anti-bike people watch this video at 44 seconds in:

Is Avril Lavigne a Racist? 5 Things You Missed this Week! - YouTube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.