Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck stem decision.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuck stem decision.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-23, 10:46 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Stuck stem decision.

I really had mixed feeling about this. My newly acquired bike that I paid more than any other bike had a severely stuck stem. I thought about just leaving it because it was the right heighth. But the headset needed serviced really bad. I hated doing it but stems can be replaced, and in the end I’ll feel better about it.

Old 03-12-23, 10:56 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
This is usually the right approach. I did have a panto'd stem once that I kind of had to save. Otherwise, cutting them out is my preferred choice.

I always check them and post on any bike I am thinking about buying. Even when they are stuck, I still will buy at the appropriate discount. Basically I put a value on the components, and the value of the frame is my reward when I get it out.
Old 03-12-23, 10:59 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
How did you get the stem out? I have a stuck stem in a 70s Raleigh Competition I'm having mixed feelings about as well. I bought it to fix up for my nephew. A bike with huret drop outs is just about perfect for a one speed conversion. The stem is at the right height and my guess is that he'll find a way to muck up the bike or get it stolen (he lives in a large city) long before the headset gives out. . . .
Old 03-12-23, 11:11 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Next time around, you can easily service the headset without removing the stem.

You can even replace ball bearings one at a time, even rotate cups to a fresh position

If for some reason, actual parts need replacing, you can always remove a stuck stem with enough cleverness and patience. (plus some C+V forum lessons in chemistry)
Old 03-12-23, 11:16 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Ouch! Always disappointing when something like this happens. That said, I would have done the same thing. I hate to leave things half done. Situations like this just get worse if left alone.

I replaced the bars and stem on my 72' chrome Paramount ( Stem was the wrong size and I don't ride vintage handlebars) I used this Nitto stem:

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/nit...attr=2593,4038

and some Nitto Noodle handlebars.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-23, 11:19 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
One way is to clamp the fork in a big vise, and manhandle with the bars in place.

Another is to J-clamp the fork crown while straddling the downtube, then manhandle the handlebars. I don't have a picture of that.

Both need a liberal use of PB Blaster.
Old 03-12-23, 11:22 AM
sloar 

Originally Posted by bikemig
How did you get the stem out? I have a stuck stem in a 70s Raleigh Competition I'm having mixed feelings about as well. I bought it to fix up for my nephew. A bike with huret drop outs is just about perfect for a one speed conversion. The stem is at the right height and my guess is that he'll find a way to muck up the bike or get it stolen (he lives in a large city) long before the headset gives out. . . .

I cut the stem off with around an inch sticking out the top. Used a hacksaw blade and cut slits on the inside the fork tube. Once I got a through cut on both sides I squeezed the top with pliers and twisted it out. I tried brute force first but I didn’t want to tweak the fork blades.
Old 03-12-23, 11:49 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,074 Posts
Save the bolts from that stem. Apologies if that's too obvious to mention. Offer them here if you don't have a use for them, someone here needs them.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-12-23, 12:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Depends on the tools at hand.
a disappointment to sacrifice an earlier model Cinelli stem, but so it goes.

I did buy a frame and fork once that had the stem already cut off, bought cheap due to that.
took 5 minutes with a securely mounted bench vise and Kroil application the day before.

don't spoil it, Kroil it.
Old 03-12-23, 12:56 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 330 Posts
Warning - some old alloy stems have a very narrow cavity in the middle, not enough to insert a hacksaw blade or get any leverage for jail-breaking.
Old 03-12-23, 02:23 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I usually heat the stem with a propane torch, which expands the length of the aluminum stem quill considerably more than the steel steer tube, helping to crack the fierce bond between stem quill and steerer.

I then let the stem cool, at some point applying a penetrating oil while the stem is still cooling. When fully cooled (perhaps even further using ice) the stem is found to be much easier to twist out, based on my limited experience dealing with what seem like "really" stuck stems.

There is some limit as to how much heat that you want to apply to an alloy stem, but 300-400F will be thoroughly cooking any old oils (i.e. pretty hot) while being harmless to the frame, fork, stem and headset.
I loosen the handlebar clamp and might try to insert some insulating shim between bar and stem just to reduce the heat-sinking.
The transfer of heat to the painted head tube seemed minimal when I've done this, the effective heat path through the ball bearings being minimal.
Likes For dddd:
Old 03-12-23, 02:35 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
One way is to clamp the fork in a big vise, and manhandle with the bars in place.

Another is to J-clamp the fork crown while straddling the downtube, then manhandle the handlebars. I don't have a picture of that.

This vise setup deserves it's own post somewhere
Likes For jasoninohio:
Old 03-12-23, 02:58 PM
john903
john903

Bikes: Curtlo, CHE cos'e,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
Now that's a vice! What is a good way to protect the fork from denting or twisted?
Old 03-12-23, 03:16 PM
sloar 

I was more concerned about damaging the frame or fork. I don’t mind replacing the stem.
Old 03-12-23, 05:57 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by john903
Now that's a vice!
You call that a vise? This is a vise:

From Fireball Tool. One of the things he's used it for is to crush lesser vises to see where they break.

The screw (on the right), which is substantial, is mostly used to set the beginning gap in the jaws, then the real clamping force kicks in when you pump up that hydraulic cylinder on the left.

I dig the pinstriping!
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-12-23, 06:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66

Originally Posted by jasoninohio
This vise setup deserves it's own post somewhere
It's solidly bolted to that post. Pretty sure it claims ownership.
Old 03-13-23, 11:16 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I usually heat the stem with a propane torch, which expands the length of the aluminum stem quill considerably more than the steel steer tube, helping to crack the fierce bond between stem quill and steerer.
You can then hit it with a freeze spray, which will shrink the aluminum quickly and separate it from the steel tube.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-13-23, 05:07 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You can then hit it with a freeze spray, which will shrink the aluminum quickly and separate it from the steel tube.
That's the idea, exactly.

The chilling will also slightly reduce the aluminum quill's diameter, which can only help.

Believe it or not, the compressed layer of corrosion means that it still resists turning after it first breaks loose as you twist it, but the main battle is over as the penetrant is then finally able to creep in.