Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Diverse Fitness Activities

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 11:59 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts

Biking continues to face competition for my time and energy...

I'm not posting this to brag or make myself seem like a really tough, cool guy. I'm not really looking for advice, either. Just throwing it out there to start a discussion with my BF friends.

After most of the hours in each week are sucked up by work, family responsibilities, church, necessary shopping and errands, eating, sleeping, and personal hygiene, precious little time remains for outdoor recreation/fitness activities.

Biking has always been my favorite. But I also enjoy:

- Hiking. I don't really backpack, i.e. stay out overnight. But I love hitting a trail anywhere from 2 or 3 miles up to 10+ miles sometimes. I love the scenery, being in wild, natural settings, and the physical challenge of longer routes or steep terrain. Also, I'm really fond of my dog, and this is something she can usually do with me. She LOVES to hike. Fortunately, within an hour's drive from my house, there are dozens of great trails. There are several within 20 minutes.

- Running. I am not a very good runner, but I enjoy it. My typical time for a 5k race is about 27 minutes, not too shabby for a 53 year old, but nothing impressive. When I am travelling, I love to jog as a way to experience new places. I am in a running club that holds a race every week in the spring and fall, and this helps motivate me to run, because of the social aspect. I tend to favor biking in the summer and running in the winter. Spring and fall, it's a tossup. Often, I take my dog with me on runs. I entered a little duathlon once (5k run, 20k ride, and another 5k run). It was a really fun challenge, and I would do more of these if I could find them. I'd probably enjoy triathlons if I could swim.

- Walking. Yes, walking. I have taken long walks in cities all over the world, and in my own neighborhood there are routes that I've walked hundreds of times. I'm preparing for a big event in October that is intense enough to mandate a few months of deliberate training. My dog usually gets to go along with me. It is my hope that when I get into my golden years, if I become physically unable to ride or run, maybe I'll still be able to walk.

I have a good rowing machine that I use pretty regularly when I want a quick workout in the safety and comfort of my basement, and I sometimes lift a few weights. I do these things to support or augment my fitness, so I can continue to enjoy the ones listed above. They are not their own reward, but means to other ends, so to speak.

When I retire in 8 or 10 years, I'll probably have a lot more time to spend on these things. Don't get me wrong... I also spend considerable time sitting on a recliner watching TV, helping my kids with something, or playing with my grandson. If fitness truly were my number one priority, I could fit in a lot more of it. I guess you could say I like a variety of activities in my life, and this causes some conflict when I find there's not enough time for all of them. It's something I've been mulling over lately.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-17-23 at 01:52 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-17-23, 12:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4997 Post(s)
Liked 8,165 Times in 3,862 Posts
My diversity is riding different bikes - road, gravel, MTB, and singlespeed MTB.

I enjoy hiking, but I would rather ride my MTB. I haven't done any significant hiking in many years. I got into running for a little while during my 15 year break from riding, but I never really fell in love with it. Trails runs were fun(ish). I don't mind walking, but it's not a practical mode of transportation for most of my lifestyle.
Old 08-17-23, 12:09 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Bike
Hike
Paddleboard fishing
Swim
snowboard
skateboard(longboard)
Yoga
Lift weights
Fight
Do lots of drugs
basketball
Archery
Gun shooting
Golf
Car racing
Ok I'm bored now
Old 08-17-23, 12:09 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 382 Posts
My favorite non-biking fitness activity is trail running. Much more fun than running on the road - you're watching each step and the climbs are generally steeper. I run also, particular when I'm short on time. I find it more aerobically challenging than cycling. My partner is a walker, so we do a lot of that around New York and wherever we travel.

In the winter, I play with fitness apps on Oculus. You can really work up a good sweat in a short amount of time.

And I'm learning how to ride a unicycle.

Last edited by john m flores; 08-17-23 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-17-23, 12:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,655 Times in 7,364 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Bike
Hike
Paddleboard fishing
Swim
snowboard
skateboard(longboard)
Yoga
Lift weights
Fight
Do lots of drugs
basketball
Archery
Gun shooting
Golf
Car racing
Ok I'm bored now
Lemme guess: You didn't understand one half of "fitness activities."
Old 08-17-23, 12:19 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Bike
Hike
Paddleboard fishing
Swim
snowboard
skateboard(longboard)
Yoga
Lift weights
Fight
Do lots of drugs
basketball
Archery
Gun shooting
Golf
Car racing
Ok I'm bored now
You are truly well rounded. There's a little overlap between your list and mine. Some of your other activities, I respect and I have tried a few times, or I think I could enjoy them. Some others, I have zero interest in doing. Glad you have that variety, though.
Old 08-17-23, 12:24 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by john m flores
...trail running. Much more fun than running on the road - you've watching each step and the climbs are generally steeper.
I agree. I've recently discovered trail running, and I think it's something I could really get into.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-17-23, 12:35 PM
DonkeyShow

Originally Posted by Broctoon
You are truly well rounded. There's a little overlap between your list and mine. Some of your other activities, I respect and I have tried a few times, or I think I could enjoy them. Some others, I have zero interest in doing. Glad you have that variety, though.
it's nice to have variety.
Old 08-17-23, 12:52 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Honey the Goldendoodle has some strong opinions:

Walk? Yes! Walk now!
Run? A million yes! Never not run!
Hike? Also yes. Hike and walk and run!
Bike? Yes, run next to bike! (We sometimes do this, but it's not the most practical.)

Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-17-23, 11:05 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 301 Posts
I started a similar thread about a year ago for the same reason. My exercise regimen is pretty intense, but biking is only one component. Since the public pool here is only open during the summer months, I've been spending on average 2 days a week there. I also (roller) speed skate, run (although my knees can no longer take trails), elliptical, weight train and cardio. But I work a 3/12 schedule so on my work days, I have to rely on the shear amount of walking I do for my exercise on those days.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 08-17-23, 11:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 5,680 Times in 2,932 Posts
Interesting OP post. So many things to do and so many time constraints and always wanting to do more.

I have always been an outdoors nut. It started with tennis, running and then trail running.. I kept at it until 5 years ago when plantar fasciitis and a back injury kept me from it. I ran with 3 consecutive black lab mixes - and they were all running fools. Besides having them as running companions, they would go on 10 mile hikes and be my companions mountain biking. They never missed a beat and probably saved my ass a couple of times in the woods from bad creatures, (cougar or bear) when they would stop dead and uncharacteristically refuse to go forward. Our current dog, a labradoodle with Addison’s disease is useless if the temperatures are above 65 but is a real sweetheart. So he gets early walks.

Other passions include downhill and cross country skiing, scuba diving, gardening in a big way and used to race cars. The car racing days are over for a multitude of reasons. I always wanted to rock climb and try mountaineering, but my equipment list for all my sports already was out of control and squeezing in other activities, with potential life ending consequences, really deserved more time than I could spare. So many sports, but not great at any, but enjoy/enjoyed them all.

Then there are the kids (both professional adults) and grandson and time with my very understanding still cycling (former skier, runner and hiker - all ended due to R.A.) wife. My parents are still alive and in their 90s which also take attention.

Always wanted to do a biathlon as well. My world is one first world problem.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-18-23, 09:25 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by rsbob
Interesting OP post. So many things to do and so many time constraints and always wanting to do more.

I have always been an outdoors nut. It started with tennis, running and then trail running.. I kept at it until 5 years ago when plantar fasciitis and a back injury kept me from it. I ran with 3 consecutive black lab mixes - and they were all running fools. Besides having them as running companions, they would go on 10 mile hikes and be my companions mountain biking. They never missed a beat and probably saved my ass a couple of times in the woods from bad creatures, (cougar or bear) when they would stop dead and uncharacteristically refuse to go forward. Our current dog, a labradoodle with Addison’s disease is useless if the temperatures are above 65 but is a real sweetheart. So he gets early walks.

Other passions include downhill and cross country skiing, scuba diving, gardening in a big way and used to race cars. The car racing days are over for a multitude of reasons. I always wanted to rock climb and try mountaineering, but my equipment list for all my sports already was out of control and squeezing in other activities, with potential life ending consequences, really deserved more time than I could spare. So many sports, but not great at any, but enjoy/enjoyed them all.

Then there are the kids (both professional adults) and grandson and time with my very understanding still cycling (former skier, runner and hiker - all ended due to R.A.) wife. My parents are still alive and in their 90s which also take attention.

Thanks for sharing your story.

In this thread and others I'm hearing lots of guys have experiences similar to mine.

I know plenty of people who seldom if ever get outside and move, not just walking 50 feet from a parking lot to a picnic pavilion or sitting on a camp chair waiting for a fish to bite, but doing something that elevates the heart rate and respiration and that taxes the muscles. I love to do a tough workout as often as possible (within the limits of what my body can handle). I hate getting it inside a stinky gym, where vain women flit around showing off their bodies, and macho bros strut about with their chests puffed up, hoping others will notice how swole they've become, both of the above taking turns staring at themselves in the mirror. [/gym rant] I relish being outside and experiencing adventures of many types. I live for this stuff.

When I say I love adventures, part of the reason is for the adventure itself. I have a pretty clear definition in my mind for that term, which I won't go into here. Beyond that, I also want to stay healthy. I think of Woody Allen's quote: "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying." There is such an abundant body of research showing that the way to stay healthy and vibrant, to stave off disease, and to enjoy a good quality of life into seniority is by doing frequent exercise. (I know eating right is important too... I could make some changes here.)

​​​​​​rsbob, that's a nice looking canine. Honey is truly my friend. She's a great companion on runs and hikes, and likewise when I come home and sit down. I know I can always count on her to be there for me, she forgives my faults and errors unconditionally, and I can talk to her at any time. I'm sure any dog lover understands.
Old 08-18-23, 10:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Totally agree about gyms and how obnoxious some people can be. BTDT

One thing I forgot to mention is how I really feel alive I feel when my heart is beating hard. This goes for power hiking up a mountain, or formerly running, or doing a hard bike hill climb or sprint. Working hard during play is a big part of my enjoyment.

My dog, Harlee is a big lap dog - all 60 lbs of him. He never met a person he didn’t want to lean against for a pat.

I would love to do some bike packing in Europe but my wife’s health will not permit it, so it will remain a dream.

Old 08-18-23, 10:58 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 948 Posts

Having a special needs pup myself, I have a lot of respect for owners that care for these dogs that others would give up or abandon.
Old 08-18-23, 11:12 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 886 Times in 498 Posts
I’ve been a much better rock climber than I ever was a cyclist. I’ve been fairly high level at both at my best.

Ive noticed that to do either at the level I was, I basically can’t do the other.

I’ve gotten weaker and more responsible so I basically suck at both now so that’s ok I guess. I get myself into trouble with both because I frequently forget how easy major objectives used to be for me.

The friends made out climbing are much better and closer than anyone I rode with.
Old 08-18-23, 12:53 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

One thing I forgot to mention is how I really feel alive I feel when my heart is beating hard.
I can recall several very specific moments in my life when I felt absolutely ecstatic while doing difficult outdoor challenges.

In the 1990s I mountain biked a lot. One of my favorite trails, at the top of a little canyon just outside of Salt Lake City, started with a big climb. I was riding it one evening when the weather was perfect, my bike ran great, and my legs were working well for me. I got to the top of the climb and sat down to rest for a minute in a meadow with a view of the valley below. My heart was pounding and I was covered with sweat, but as I sipped some water and took in the beautiful surroundings, I felt as happy and serene as I've ever been.

I spent July, 2019 in Germany, travelling for my job. My favorite pastimes after work included long walks and jogs. One day, I was passing through a beautiful little town about seven miles into an eleven mile jog. My legs were getting tired, my feet a little sore, and I was about ready for some food. Then I started down a gradual descent, and “Hello” by Martin Solveig and Dragonette came up on my playlist. As that catchy tune streamed from my phone to my brain via ear buds, I got a second wind and found myself in what psychologists call flow state. I felt unstoppable, and for the next several minutes, I would not have traded the experience I was having for anything in the world.

Last fall, my dog and I went on a great late evening hike. This was kind of adventurous (maybe a little unwise) because it was a new trail to me, and I chose to do it at night. I only had a vague idea of what to expect there, but I went prepared with some food, water, a jacket, and a headlight. The first half hour or so, I enjoyed spectacular views, although I had to work for them, as that part of the route was pretty steep. In a few spots the terrain got kind of technical, and a misstep could have resulted in a terrible fall. Late into the hike when it was very dark, I heard an animal moving near us in the woods. I don't know what it was... probably just a deer, but my imagination suggested perhaps a cougar or bear (neither of these is unheard of in the area), or even a chupacabra or sasquatch. Nobody died, and as we finished the loop back to my car, I told Honey, "We did it!" I felt a real sense of accomplishment that I don't know how to get any other way. I don't feel this when I finish a big project at work and find it turned out well. Nor when I'm trying to fix a car and it finally comes together. When I put my life--or at least some comfort and safety--on the line, that sets me up. If everything works out (as it always has, so far), it gets me high.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-18-23, 01:56 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 999 Posts
YES:
Bicycle riding (nice asphalt roads, no problem with hills)
Surfing
Brisk walking up & down hills (great aerobic workout in a short time).
Light weightlifting while watching T.V.

NO:
Gyms - don't like the atmosphere in them.
Walking on flat ground for anything more than normal walking to/from one location to another
Running/Jogging - Those formerly post-workout 'achy' spots were turning into 'painful' spots.
Old 08-18-23, 04:35 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 3,604 Times in 1,807 Posts
  • ride bike
  • sit in chair after bike ride
  • get up from chair eventually, shower
  • nap
Yeah, diverse.

Old 08-18-23, 04:44 PM
DonkeyShow

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Lemme guess: You didn't understand one half of "fitness activities."
Which half of the list isn't fitness?
Old 08-18-23, 05:26 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 668 Posts
My exercise was more tilted toward biking over the last seven years or so, but that shifted a year ago when I switched to wearing only minimal/barefoot shoes.

Now I walk every day and run frequently, especially in winter and hot summer.

Before the transition, my toes were irritated by significant running or walking, but wider barefoot shoes took that problem away.

In addition, minimal shoes encourage a high cadence, mid or forefoot running style that protects my knees from stress, so that also isn’t a factor anymore.

So I enjoy a mix of daily walking plus alternation of biking, running and strength training thru the week.

It’s working well and makes our dogs much happier since we all like to walk together every day when the weather allows.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-18-23, 08:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Having a special needs pup myself, I have a lot of respect for owners that care for these dogs that others would give up or abandon.
Good for you taking care of a special dog. We need more good people like you.

My guy was taken to the vet by the previous owner to be put down because they couldn’t afford his care. The vet decided to adopt the dog and soon after her toddler daughter was holding food which he went for by grabbing her hand and scaring the little girl. The vet decided maybe he should be put down, but then relented thinking that the dog should not be killed for having food waived in his face. He was then put up for adoption. He escaped death twice, and now is a very happy well adjusted dog that loves everyone and is very good with our grandson and small children.

Likes For rsbob: