Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rode through deep water, now what?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-21, 10:49 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts

Yesterday I had to ride through 18" deep water for about 30-40 feet. This morning I woke up thinking that perhaps water had got into the frame (steel frame, all external cables), so I pulled the bottle mount screws on the underside of the downtube and sure enough 3-4 tablespoons of water came out.

Now I wonder if I need to do more than leave the screws out and let things dry out. Does the crank need to get pulled? If so, then what? I'd appreciate any thoughts
Old 08-25-21, 11:59 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Hope you were due for a teardown and repack anyway. Because that is what you need to do to the crank and both hubs.
Old 08-25-21, 12:33 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Jeeze, that’s gotta be some story, am I right?
Sounds like something out of a James Bond movie.
Inquiring minds want to know lol.
Old 08-25-21, 12:53 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
Jeeze, that’s gotta be some story, am I right?
Sounds like something out of a James Bond movie.
Inquiring minds want to know lol.
Not much of a story I'm afraid. Riverside trail was overrun with high water after heavy rain (outskirts of Henri) - I could ride through or turn around and go ~18 miles back. In hindsight, carrying the bike might have been the better option, my feet were underwater p;edaling anyway.
Old 08-25-21, 12:55 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Depends a lot on the condition of the bike before you went fording with it.

Bare minimum, shoot some WD40 into the tubes via the bottle cage bolt holes, and leave it out in the sun for a day. Oil your chain, too since it went under water, and get some lube down the cable housing loop at the rear derailleur.

The bottom bracket could be different, depending on a number of things. If it’s a sealed-cartridge bearing (like a majority of modern, mass-market bikes) they’re designed not to need much service.
If you’ve got an older (or very inexpensive) bike with a cup-and-cone ball-bearing BB, then you may need to open it up and clea/check/add some grease on the bearings.
When I rebuild a bike with one of those style BBs, I pack it full of the blue ‘trailer’ grease from the auto parts store. It’s waterproof, and lasts for years under typical riding conditions.

Bottom Bracket (crank bearings) can be difficult to access, and may require specific tools, so I’d rather watch it for a while before I decide to pull it out. If it turns smoothly and quietly, it’s probably ok, especially if this is just an ‘around town’ bike
Old 08-25-21, 12:59 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
SO where do ya live. After pulling off your seat post and inspecting the drain holes on you forks and stays you could just hang it up and let it dry out. But that's if you live in a dry area like Death Valley or El Paso. I guess the next question is what kinda grease did ya use at your last rebuild. And another question would be how clean was the water.

Originally Posted by 55murray
...due for a teardown and repack anyway.
But ya know a repack is never a bad idea. If nothing else its good practice...