Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just so everyone knows

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just so everyone knows

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-23, 07:14 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I don't have a "cell phone", and never had a "smart" phone and never will. I have a stop-watch.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The stopwatch is a good idea. I read on these forums last week that a watch worn on the wrist can make a bike pull to the left. A stopwatch around the neck seems like an elegant solution to this problem.

But I do have a serious question. It is hard to tell, but it looks like you have a single cog on the rear of your bike. Why the derailleur and spoke protector?

Old 03-12-23, 07:32 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
^^^^He's pulling our collective leg. He wouldn't be able to ride that thing even 30 miles, not that he'd want to try.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-12-23, 07:49 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
If I were a mod here I'd be tempted to banish Rydabent and his two or three acolytes in this thread to Politics and Religion. Their hateful retrogrouch schtick is exhausting.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-12-23, 07:53 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,044 Times in 4,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M

But I do have a serious question. It is hard to tell, but it looks like you have a single cog on the rear of your bike. Why the derailleur and spoke protector?
I don't think it's a single cog. I think it's a He-Man 5 speed corn cob freewheel.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-12-23, 07:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,044 Times in 4,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

Mountain bikers in the last quarter of a century have these dohickies called dropper posts, and they also tend to ride larger frames than a standard fit might suggest.
A dropper was mentioned one time and he said he didn't need such "garbage" (or similar derisive term) because "we learned how to ride" back then.
Old 03-12-23, 07:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
If I were a mod here I'd be tempted to banish Rydabent and his two or three acolytes in this thread to Politics and Religion. Their hateful retrogrouch schtick is exhausting.
He's got 9 pages and counting. As annoying as it is to other members, more posts means more $ for the forum owners. Exploiting the derangement of the aged apparently doesn't bother them.

Last edited by StanSeven; 03-12-23 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Insulting
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-12-23, 08:03 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Going to celebrate the foolishness of this thread today by trying to ride fast up the steepest local hill where I the fool is the local legend. I hope to average 6.2 mph.

Climbing that hill the other day, it felt like another rider had latched onto my wheel. I looked back. What was there? A beautiful puppy seemingly smiling following me up the climb. Happy as can be. I don't seem to recall the GSD asking me if I had electronic or mechanical.
The puppy was obviously drafting you.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-12-23, 08:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
okay, whatever

Dont feel bad for r******** riders, clear back in the 30s they were banned from racing. They flogged the holy grail of speed. A second class rider beat the fastest of the day!!!
Old 03-12-23, 08:26 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Since you're on this forum, you obviously have a computer. Isn't that too much tech for you?

Seriously, I'm not one to jump on new tech when it first arrives. I let others work out the bugs. And I'm still somewhat of a Luddite. Yes, I have a smartphone, but I don't have a Garmin or power meter and I'm just starting to warm to Di2. My "new" car is now 3 years old and I haven't quite figured out the head unit or figured out how to make Android Auto work. I still plug my MP3 player into the headphone jack and also have my collection of CD's in the car.

This being said, I don't go onto forums and bash people who use these techie gadgets even if I have no interest in them. That's just a form of trolling. Trolling isn't nice, mmmmkay?
He is dialing in his posts with a black rotary phone. Think Matrix.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-12-23 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-12-23, 08:31 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Today I am going out on my 35+ lbs rigid 29er with heavy 2 lbs Marathon touring tires for a hilly road ride.
I have a nice carbon road bike with mechanical Ultegra that weighs 17 lbs that does not get much use any more.
Speed does not enter my mind until the end when I review my average MPH.
Fitness and not speed is my goal.
I can average 2-3 mph more on my light bike but it does not change my fitness level.

I realize I could go faster but I am not racing or trying to keep up on group rides.
I'm Ok with that.

That's just me.
Old 03-12-23, 08:34 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The puppy was obviously drafting you.
The little fellow was happy to dial in some free speed.
Old 03-12-23, 08:35 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
And yet, here you are.
Old 03-12-23, 08:54 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Hermes
He is dialing in his posts with a black rotary phone. Think Matrix.
And an acoustic coupler?
Old 03-12-23, 09:44 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,658 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Exploiting the derangement of the aged apparently doesn't bother them.
that's just like, you're opinion, man.

also, it's kinda mean tbh
Old 03-12-23, 09:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What about the cyclists who ride for all of those reasons? As one of them, which side of the fence should I be on?
Fair enough....I don't problem with that.
Old 03-12-23, 10:00 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I ride for sport and speed and for pleasure, recreation, and exercise -- all at the same time. I suspect many others on bf are just like me.
I don't have a problem with that....It's your time on a bike and you can ride in whatever way you want.
Old 03-12-23, 10:16 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
I just came back from the grocery store. It s sunny 32F 0F on my heavy cheap low speed Schwinn loop winter bike with studded tires. It was fun. Obviously if I was looking for high performance, this would not have been the best solution.

Likes For jfouellette:
Old 03-12-23, 10:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Over and over we throw reason at the unreasonable and truth at the dishonest.

I 'd say the heroes of this thread are GhostRider62 and genejockey .... the latter proves that people who appreciate older machinery can be sane and happy, and the former proves that riding recumbents or trikes does not induce brain-rot in everybody who dares try ......

The rest of us, who obtain pleasure from riding however we want to ... we are just doing it wrong. I am so glad I finally found out.

My favorite Feynman bit was the afterward of his last book, when he was about to die of cancer .... he went on about science, and probity, and about how scientists should be totally committed to truth, not to discovery and certainly not to satisfy the corporations providing funding---scientists should, as soon as they made a breakthrough, not tell the world, but try their best to prove themselves wrong. Only if their work stood up to their own harshest scrutiny would it be worth passing on to others for them to test.

He understood that scientists were human, and thus fallible, and that the duty of a scientist was to use the methods of science to ensure that the human element didn't color the results.

He saw what happened with the Challenger space shuttle ... where people lied about science to please the corporations providing funding ... didn't work so well.

He missed out on the glorious present, where what matters is not truth, but how many likes you get on social media.

I was having a good morning until I came here .... I will leave you all in peace and go enjoy life again .....
That's the very heart and soul of Science and the Scientific Method. I tell people my job is to try as hard as possible to prove myself wrong, and if I fail, I've succeeded. Also, you should always be your own harshest critic, because if you aren't someone else will be glad to do that for you.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-12-23, 10:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't have a problem with that....It's your time on a bike and you can ride in whatever way you want.
Exactly. If we all enjoyed the same things, the world would be terribly boring and homogenous.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-12-23, 11:06 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's the very heart and soul of Science and the Scientific Method. I tell people my job is to try as hard as possible to prove myself wrong, and if I fail, I've succeeded. Also, you should always be your own harshest critic, because if you aren't someone else will be glad to do that for you.
That try to prove myself wrong principle has an equivalent in Engineering -- try to break it. Take a design:
  • think of every possible way it might break
  • modify the design to shore up the weaknesses
  • build it
  • try to break it

That was my first job out of school: thinking of ways spacecraft equipment might fail. Or, once in a while, figuring out why something already deployed has failed.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-12-23, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,550 Times in 7,330 Posts
Since you're on this forum, you obviously have a computer. Isn't that too much tech for you?

Seriously, I'm not one to jump on new tech when it first arrives. I let others work out the bugs. And I'm still somewhat of a Luddite. Yes, I have a smartphone, but I don't have a Garmin or power meter and I'm just starting to warm to Di2. My "new" car is now 3 years old and I haven't quite figured out the head unit or figured out how to make Android Auto work. I still plug my MP3 player into the headphone jack and also have my collection of CD's in the car.

This being said, I don't go onto forums and bash people who use these techie gadgets even if I have no interest in them. That's just a form of trolling. Trolling isn't nice, mmmmkay?
I bought my car in 2016. I was surprised that it came with a CD player. I have a bunch in my glove box and under the front passenger seat left over from a drive to Vermont last June for a bike tour.
Old 03-12-23, 12:50 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by genejockey
Exactly. If we all enjoyed the same things, the world would be terribly boring and homogenous.
And then there would be no BF because there would be nothing to argue about.
Old 03-12-23, 12:52 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I bought my car in 2016. I was surprised that it came with a CD player. I have a bunch in my glove box and under the front passenger seat left over from a drive to Vermont last June for a bike tour.
My 2020 still has a CD player. I believe it has been eliminated for 2024.
Old 03-12-23, 01:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
2023 Subaru has a cd player still. Touch screen, Apple car play, all the absurd safety cameras and sensors...plus a cd player.
It's a funny thing to think about.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-12-23, 02:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,550 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
2023 Subaru has a cd player still. Touch screen, Apple car play, all the absurd safety cameras and sensors...plus a cd player.
It's a funny thing to think about.
Mine doesn’t have any of that stuff except for a rear camera. I live in the big city and parallel park outside, so the camera comes in handy sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.