Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Juniors Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

24"-26" wheel road/cx bikes

Search
Notices
Juniors Racing (All Disciplines) Entry level and/or 23 and younger here's where yo can mix and learn.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 10:45 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts

I'm trying to find some good sources for these bikes in the US. Not much traffic on this sub-forum but I thought I'd try in case anyone has thoughts.

I have a 9 year who started track racing in the fall and wants to continue in the spring/summer. He has outgrown his 20" bike that he rides around the neighborhood and wants a drop bar bike for some local crits come spring. There is some cx for kids locally in the fall.

He fits well on a Frog 24" track bike. They make road/cx bikes as well but are hard to find dealers in the US. Dont see many used either. It looks like Vitus offers similar bikes but dont have any inventory in the US. Importing one seems difficult with the troubles at Chain Reaction/Wiggle. It seems as though Felt offered 24" wheel road and cx bikes several owners ago, but they dont appear much in the second hand market that I can see.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
Old 01-28-24, 08:30 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Trek made a 24" wheel junior bike, the KDR 1000.

I also dimly recall Trek making a 43cm version of the Trek 1000, which might be even easier to find, assuming it might fit. I think that one had 700c wheels, so easier to source tires & tubes.

Salsa made a CX bike, the Journeyman 24. Much lower production than either Trek, but still worth seeking on the used market.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 01-29-24, 09:08 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks, I found a Raleigh RX24 used on Pinkbike. Those Salsas come pretty dear for a bike that may only fit for 18 months.
Old 03-27-24, 06:08 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Argon 18 made some nice junior bikes in both 24" and 650C - I just sold my son's 650C this spring - for the next size-up.

I got a good deal on it buying it in the fall, sold it in the spring - I did a little maintenance on it as well, but sold it for a little more than I bought it for.

That's the thing about buying used - the market usually doesn't change that much in the amount of time they're on the bike.

Last edited by Viich; 03-28-24 at 05:37 AM.
Likes For Viich: