Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Look Delta pedal squeak

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Look Delta pedal squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 07:59 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Look Delta pedal squeak

Like the title says I have one pedal (left) that squeaks loudly on the downstroke. It’s driving me crazy and is no doubt annoying to those I ride with.

I have had the problem for months. It’s only one pedal (I unclip with the other side at stops). Replacing the cleat makes no difference (I have genuine Look cleats on there now but have used knockoffs too). I’ve cleaned it well with a toothbrush and alcohol.

Should I grease it (doesn’t seem right)? Wax it? Is the pedal shot??

Anyone experienced this and solved the problem? I’d love to hear about it.
Old 08-14-21, 08:02 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Make sure the axle is attached to the body of the pedal tightly. And greased. Look pedals have been noisy for years. Decades.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-14-21, 08:23 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 383 Posts
I've been using look pedals since they first appeared. Yes, they do squeak. I've used silicone spray, pledge and car wax (all are treacherous for walking on tiled floors). It stops the squeak for about two rides. I've learned to live with it and now it bothers the people I ride with more than it bothers me.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 08-14-21, 09:00 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks guys.
Old 08-15-21, 07:49 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I have a theory that may be completely off but I think the shape of your shoe sole may make squeaking worse for some. The less you have to bend the cleat to fit the sole the better and some type of shimming may help if needed. Also, if memory serves, I think I found that polishing the contact plate on the pedal so it's smooth and coating with carnauba wax for cars lasted a little longer than other lubes to keep the squeaking away. I didn't like putting anything on the cleats because, as mentioned, it made them too slippery to walk on. I would try to barrow some wax before spending on a tin of this to see if it works for you though.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-15-21, 02:34 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I'd forgotten how annoying that was... not a problem since I switched to road SPDs about 10 years ago.
I tried it all - the Teflon cleats, spray lube, Pledge... nothing worked for long.
Old 08-15-21, 04:40 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I had that squeaking problem with Look Delta's too. I found it was actually resulting from dirt getting into the dust shields and the plastic retainer nut on the shaft outside of the sealed cartridge bearing. I had to make a wrench to get the plastic retainer nut and shaft out of the pedal and a bearing holder clamp to remove the bearing just to clean the dust shields out, then put it all back together with a new bearing. Earlier attempts to fix it with spray lube, WD-40, wiping, and other quick fixes were of no use. BTW, don't contaminate the inner needle bearing while you have it apart. It is most likely still clean and would be hard to clean if you get it dirty (due to its location).
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 08-15-21, 04:41 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Rode Delta pedals from Look from 1996 to 2019. Put up with only the right side pedal tp cleat squeak all that time. Finally I came to my senses and replaced them, not with Keo, but with SPD road pedals. No noise at all in three years. What the heck took me so long???
Get rid of the Look pedals and get Shimano SPD road pedals. You won't regret it.
Old 08-16-21, 08:00 AM
gearbasher

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
I I had to make a wrench to get the plastic retainer nut and shaft out of the pedal and a bearing holder clamp to remove the bearing just to clean the dust shields out, then put it all back together with a new bearing.
Look made a tool for disassembling the pedals. You can still find one today. At about 5 times the original price.

Last edited by gearbasher; 08-16-21 at 04:09 PM.