Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What HRM do you use and/or recommend?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

What HRM do you use and/or recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 08:17 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Did you move the damned shelves to recover the cat, or is it still back there, too?
You know, I was wondering about that smell....
Old 11-24-23, 01:58 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, I don't think the OH1 reports respiration rate directly. Garmin apparently has some software that looks at HRV to estimate respiration. Although Garmin doesn't lost OH1 as a supported monitor, I can attest that the Garmin Edge 830 displays respiration when I use the OH1.

From Garmin Connect website:

That's interesting. I don't really look at respiration rate but since you mentioned it, I went into Garmin Connect and looked at a ride. I get two different graphics for respiration rate, one from Garmin itself and another from an app I use (AlphaHRV). I've copied a screenshot from Garmin Connect below: the top graphic is respiration rate from Garmin, the bottom graphic is the respiration rate from AlphaHRV. I've chosen a point where they're different. Garmin gives a brpm of 31 at a moment when AlphaHRV says 39.

As an aside, your respiration data seem to have a lot of drop-outs. Do you also see drop-outs in HR, or is this only for the respiration data?

Old 11-24-23, 02:21 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
As an aside, your respiration data seem to have a lot of drop-outs. Do you also see drop-outs in HR, or is this only for the respiration data?
No, the heart rate graph doesn't show any drop outs:

The corresponding breathing rate graph:

I suspect Garmin's algorithm for respiration rate may be a bit "hokey" (technical term).

Old 11-24-23, 04:39 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

No, the heart rate graph doesn't show any drop outs:

The corresponding breathing rate graph:

I suspect Garmin's algorithm for respiration rate may be a bit "hokey" (technical term).
My eyeball calculator makes me think that HR is smoothed but that resp rate may be less smoothed. Places where there are resp rate drop-outs seem very roughly correlated with transitory drops in HR. What's happening to power at the places where HR dips?
Old 11-24-23, 06:31 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

What's happening to power at the places where HR dips?
It looks like power drops off at places where HR dips (and respiration drops out, sometimes).

Here's a higher resolution section:

Old 11-26-23, 02:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Polar OH1+ optical monitor.

I wear it on my upper arm. It rarely senses weird rates or drops out.

When paired with a Garmin head unit, you can track respiration rate.
does the respiration rate make it into a .fit file? curious to know how respiration is monitored via the amr and how accurate it is.

edit: never mind. i just need to read the thread more. you need the raw data to make a good comparison of dropouts when the grapsh are applying any sort of filtering.

Last edited by spelger; 11-26-23 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 11:35 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
For the tightwads in the group, I have been using this cheap chest strap with my Garmin for about a year now, and it's been flawless for basic HR data. It's not compatible with any HRV apps, though.

https://www.amazon.com/GEOID-Monitor...ustomerReviews
Old 11-27-23, 12:55 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Steamer
For the tightwads in the group, I have been using this cheap chest strap with my Garmin for about a year now, and it's been flawless for basic HR data. It's not compatible with any HRV apps, though.

https://www.amazon.com/GEOID-Monitor...ustomerReviews
I'm not sure HRV metrics are currently reliable enough to use as an indicator of any kind of threshold (which was the promise or goal of several HRV apps). I paid top dollar for a Polar H10 chest strap because of the prospects for HRV but if I knew then what I know now, I probably would go tightwad.
Old 11-30-23, 03:27 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Polar H10, in use since April 2020 and still going strong. Only weak point is the battery, it has to be replaced a couple times a year. Though that also depends on the quality of the battery.
Old 11-30-23, 10:19 AM
mxtek5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use both my Garmin Fenix 7 and also the regular Garmin chest strap. I’d say the chest strap is better overall if you are looking for the best accuracy but the Fenix is just more convenient as it’s already always on the wrist.
Old 12-02-23, 05:13 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I just tried riding Zwift with my Wahoo Tickr and it wouldn't read properly for the first half of the ride, then was OK. I've had that same problem doing outdoor rides except those are usually much longer so I'm only missing a small portion of the ride. I tried licking it, applying some sort of gel, moving it around, rubbing it against my skin and nothing worked, until suddenly it just did. I had a Garmin one that did the exact same thing that the Wahoo was to replace. I've had enough of that so I've ordered a Polar OH1 that was on sale directly from them for $48. It's a different reading process and on the arm. I've never really liked the chest strap.
Old 12-06-23, 09:11 PM
zacster

I tried the Polar OH1 I just bought and it read correctly as soon as I turned it on. When I went up to the trainer to do a ride though the battery died as it didn't have any charge on it so I put on the Wahoo again and again the same problem. I had to skip today on the trainer so I'll get to check it out tomorrow.

I thought about buying an Apple watch but couldn't see the need for it. I'd never use it otherwise.
Old 12-07-23, 06:51 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
I switched to the TICKR Fit armband / optical heart monitor after growing tired of the fiddly battery doors of the regular TICKR and Garmin HRM-Dual and the frustration of always having to wet the sensors before starting my ride.

The TICKR Fit is rechargeable (no need to replace batteries) and it has an on/off switch, so it solved both problems. The only "downside" with the TICKR Fit (and it's a small one) is the approximate 20-25hr. battery life before needing to recharge it. As someone who does ultra-endurance events longer than 25hrs. the TICKR Fit doesn't get the job done. For these longer events I use a regular TICKR or a Garmin HRM-Dual.
Old 12-07-23, 01:09 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
My CooSpo lasted just over 696 hours before it died. I'm currently using a Magene H303 with over 549 hours. I switched to a Magene because CooSpo wasn't available at the time.
Old 12-07-23, 04:29 PM
zacster

I got on the bike and the Polar performed as expected, but the laptop running Zwift didn't. It too needed a good charge. Even plugged in that laptop throttles itself when the battery is low. I put music on and it ground to a halt. 1984 - Van Halen.
Old 12-07-23, 08:50 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I just tried riding Zwift with my Wahoo Tickr and it wouldn't read properly for the first half of the ride, then was OK. I've had that same problem doing outdoor rides except those are usually much longer so I'm only missing a small portion of the ride. I tried licking it, applying some sort of gel, moving it around, rubbing it against my skin and nothing worked, until suddenly it just did. I had a Garmin one that did the exact same thing that the Wahoo was to replace. I've had enough of that so I've ordered a Polar OH1 that was on sale directly from them for $48. It's a different reading process and on the arm. I've never really liked the chest strap.
when my strap died i bought something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Rate-Mo...s%2C293&sr=8-3

what i like about it is that it unhooks, not unsnaps like the wahoo strap. pretty sure that is what killed it. so far it has outlasted teh wahoo version by 2x.
Old 12-31-23, 02:31 PM
AE86Trueno

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I've always used classic chest straps, among which I have tended to prefer the Wahoo Tickr. Lately, I've found it quite frustrating though - many times (though not consistently), it gives bad data for the first 5-15 minutes of a workout. I can't quite figure out why. Fresh battery doesn't help. Neither does making sure the chest strap is tight and in the right place. Nor does electrode gel prevent the phenom.

So maybe I should read this thread carefully and find something better. I'd much prefer a chest strap, as I like my plain analog wristwatch just find and don't want to discard it..
I noticed this as well myself, in my case it was resolved with just wetting the sensor pad behind the strap (not the sensor itself). I usually get my hand wet and just pat both side of the sensor, i noticed after i do this the sensor will blink red and blue straight away.
Old 12-31-23, 06:19 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've paired it [Polar OH1+] with my Zwift Hub without issues.
As have I.
Old 01-03-24, 11:32 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
I figure my breathing is either below VT1, between VT1 and VT2, or over VT2. I can tell those breakpoints pretty accurately and don't think I need to know more than that.

Before I got a pacemaker, I took my morning resting and standing resting HR as well as my HRV both lying and standing for many years. I don't think the HRV told me anything more than did my HRs. However my standing HF power was something I watched closely. "Lower HF power is correlated with stress, panic, anxiety, or worry." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5624990/ Also correlates with Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) as I discovered.
Old 02-02-24, 09:40 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Oh crap. I just got back from a business trip and I left my TICKR in the hotel room. Hotel hasn't seen it, though maybe they will find it and ship it back to me. So now I probably need a new one. Given issues I ahd with the TICKR (mostly posted about it in that other thread, I think), I might try a POLAR....
Old 02-03-24, 08:48 AM
zacster

I've been using my Polar OH1 for 2 months now without a single issue. It tracks perfectly right from the start without the frustration of getting a chest strap to pick up.
Old 02-03-24, 01:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I've been using my Polar OH1 for 2 months now without a single issue. It tracks perfectly right from the start without the frustration of getting a chest strap to pick up.
Same for me, except I've been using a Polar OH1 since 2019. Zero problems.

Old 02-08-24, 02:55 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Same for me, except I've been using a Polar OH1 since 2019. Zero problems.
Same for me. Had my OH1 since 2020 and it’s still going strong. There is a newer version with longer battery life - now renamed Polar Verity Sense.
Old 02-08-24, 10:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
I'm not sure HRV metrics are currently reliable enough to use as an indicator of any kind of threshold (which was the promise or goal of several HRV apps). I paid top dollar for a Polar H10 chest strap because of the prospects for HRV but if I knew then what I know now, I probably would go tightwad.
I've been using an H10 with the Elite HRV app for many years. I needed quite a bit of data, a couple months, before patterns became clear to me, indicating training and stress levels as well as eventually warning me twice about PMR which needed a doctor fix. OTOH, my wife's HRV numbers are so steady that they only serve the function of telling her that everything is fine. The other thing I've used my Elite app for is detecting PVCs while on my rollers. That helped my doc figure some things out.

My practice, ever since my morning resting HR stopped being a good indicator of training stress (age did that), has been taking my morning resting and standing-resting HRs and HRV with both my Polar V800 and the Elite HRV app. It takes me about 20 minutes do both tests with both devices, but I found it helpful, especially the standing HRV. I keep the data in a spreadsheet.

I assume by threshold you mean ventilatory or lactate, etc. AFAIK HRV won't help with that.
Old 02-09-24, 12:43 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I assume by threshold you mean ventilatory or lactate, etc. AFAIK HRV won't help with that.
Yup. There are a few papers that suggest that HRV could be used to identify thresholds (like, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7845545/) but I think they may be oversold.
Likes For RChung:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.