Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-23, 09:56 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
"They say she went crazy, but I think she just went from not caring much about what other people think, to not caring at all."

- Whole Earth Catalog
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 12-06-23, 10:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Wow, almost 14 year-old thread. I say, people wear the football jerseys of their favorite players and nobody says a word. Wearing team kit should be the same. You can wear the kit as long as you don't think you're really on the team.
Amen to that. People paying to advertise for their NFL/NBA sports team (but it is interpreted by the fans as supporting MY team) is no different than buying/paying for a team cycling jersey, yet there is derision. And there is no mistaking a world tour rider for a senior. Humans can be so unnecessarily contradictory.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-06-23, 10:54 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Not to flex, but I still fit into my college cycling jersey. I look like a sausage though.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 12-06-23, 05:49 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Amen to that. People paying to advertise for their NFL/NBA sports team (but it is interpreted by the fans as supporting MY team) is no different than buying/paying for a team cycling jersey, yet there is derision. And there is no mistaking a world tour rider for a senior. Humans can be so unnecessarily contradictory.
I buy jerseys because I like the color or print, or because they’re earned jerseys … ones you have to complete a ride in order to purchase the jersey.

One of those that fall into the “pretty color” territory is a faux world champion jersey with the rainbow colors.

I’ve had people opine that wearing that jersey is inappropriate, as I was never world champion (as if anyone would mistake me for one). I don’t care … I like the colors. Not caring is one of the perks of being over 50.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 12-06-23, 06:08 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I buy jerseys because I like the color or print, or because they’re earned jerseys … ones you have to complete a ride in order to purchase the jersey.

One of those that fall into the “pretty color” territory is a faux world champion jersey with the rainbow colors.

I’ve had people opine that wearing that jersey is inappropriate, as I was never world champion (as if anyone would mistake me for one). I don’t care … I like the colors. Not caring is one of the perks of being over 50.
Same. I have a jersey from the early 2000s that was an obscure Polish pro continental team. I get compliments on the overall design. It may be advertising, but it’s obscure advertising.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 12-06-23, 06:44 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Real men are color coordinated. Go for the full team kit.
Lol. I’m a real man but a little colorblind. My wife doesn't let me pick colors to coordinate anything. I never get to pick paint color either.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 12-07-23 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-06-23, 06:49 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Let me ask about a different jersey question.
My wife bought me a jersey a few years ago. It is yellow. She liked the visibility.
In the Tour De France they award a yellow jersey to the stage winner. Am I a poser for wearing a yellow jersey? I feel like it sometimes when I pass by experienced riders.
Old 12-06-23, 09:00 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I wear what I want to wear...don't like it...f ya because I don't care what you think...oh, have a nice day...
Old 12-06-23, 09:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Let me ask about a different jersey question.
My wife bought me a jersey a few years ago. It is yellow. She liked the visibility.
In the Tour De France they award a yellow jersey to the stage winner. Am I a poser for wearing a yellow jersey? I feel like it sometimes when I pass by experienced riders.
I sure wouldn’t worry about it. Doubt anyone will confuse you with Lance Armstrong.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-06-23, 09:09 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I'm with those that see this as no different than wearing a football team jersey. Heck, if nothing else, most people wearing those aren't even playing catch in the backyard with a football. At least as a cyclist, you are cycling.

Probably most team jerseys are licensed in some way. If they're willing to allow it to be sold, who is anyone else to complain about it. In some way, I think you are a bit of a poser wearing one. I think that's the whole point. Not that you're trying to pass as a pro team rider, but it can be fun to look the part. I see no harm in that.

While I don't wear team jerseys, when I see someone in one, if I notice it's because it looks good.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 12-06-23, 09:53 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by rsbob
I sure wouldn’t worry about it. Doubt anyone will confuse you with Lance Armstrong.
Not on his worst day. 😄
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 12-07-23, 12:01 AM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts

No more than the young ones! 😉
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-07-23, 06:32 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
While wearing my La Vie Claire repro jersey a cyclist angrily yelled at me "Do you what you're wearing? Do you know WHO wore that jersey?"

Whatever suburban angst he was working out, I wasn't interested, so I dropped him on the next open section. The old me would've been a lot more confrontational but these days I'm just soooo mellow. 😀
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-07-23, 07:35 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
While wearing my La Vie Claire repro jersey a cyclist angrily yelled at me "Do you what you're wearing? Do you know WHO wore that jersey?"

Whatever suburban angst he was working out, I wasn't interested, so I dropped him on the next open section. The old me would've been a lot more confrontational but these days I'm just soooo mellow. 😀
I just like the look of the retro La Vie Claire Mondrian and Toshiba jerseys.
The fact that LeMond represented them is icing on the cake.
I get compliments on the retro look.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-07-23, 10:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I think the comparison between football jerseys and bike jerseys is interesting.

Bike jersey on a pro rider: snug fit on a slender body. Bike jersey on an amateur: it's either loose and flapping in the breeze, or it looks like somebody was squeezed into it like a reverse toothpaste tube.

Football jersey on a fan: large flapping colorful top. Football jersey on a lineman: looks like a sausage wrapper that's about to split (usually horizontally around the middle).
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-07-23, 10:54 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Bike jersey on an amateur: it's either loose and flapping in the breeze, or it looks like somebody was squeezed into it like a reverse toothpaste tube.
Amateur rider has entered the chat.

All generalizations are wrong.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-07-23, 11:10 AM
big john

Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think the comparison between football jerseys and bike jerseys is interesting.

I think the football jersey was brought up because of the graphics. It's ok to wear a bike team jersey if it's ok to wear a football team jersey, that sort of thing.

fwiw, there are plenty of amateur and club riders who look fine in bike jerseys, team or club style. Here is a group I was with a couple weeks ago. I'm back row center.

Last edited by big john; 12-07-23 at 11:13 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-07-23, 11:20 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Does anyone really care about jerseys other than the person wearing them? I might notice a jersey if the colors strike me as especially attractive but I don't really notice if it's a team jersey.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-07-23, 11:28 AM
big john

Originally Posted by jon c.
Does anyone really care about jerseys other than the person wearing them? I might notice a jersey if the colors strike me as especially attractive but I don't really notice if it's a team jersey.
It's such a minor thing, isn't it? Sometimes my friends tease me about my baggy or tattered jerseys but I'm fine with that. Here is a friend waiting for me while wearing his Ouch kit (Floyd Landis' team).
Old 12-07-23, 11:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

There's one "like new" jersey that I only wore for a few months, and I don't dare ever wear again:

Good grief, that was 19 years ago, how is that possible?

No team or club kits for me currently, but I'm not against wearing them. Except in a race (if I ever do another race).

Oops, I take that back. I do have some team kits: a USA Development Team kit, and some Team Voler kits from prior years. Great prices on them once the race season is over.

Last edited by terrymorse; 12-07-23 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-07-23, 11:40 AM
big john

Originally Posted by terrymorse
There's one "like new" jersey that I only wore for a few months, and I don't dare ever wear again:

No team or club kits for me currently, but I'm not against wearing them. Except in a race (if I ever do another race).

Oops, I take that back. I do have some team kits: a USA Development Team kit, and some Team Voler kits from prior years. Great prices on them once the race season is over.
Time flies. Why not wear it? My friend in the "Ouch" kit above won the KOM series jersey many years ago. A roller-coaster dieter, he's too heavy to wear things from those days but he might just drop the weight again. I'm starting to doubt it, though.
Old 12-07-23, 11:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

I have that jersey, too!! Mine is on the wall of my office. I'm pretty sure it doesn't fit me any more.

It's not unusual for me to wear the kit of the club/team I'm currently a member of (this was a few years ago). My bike matching the kit was not intentional, but I'm okay with it.

More often, I'm probably wearing kit from Pactimo, La Passione, or NeoPro that doesn't feature the brand's name in large letters.
Old 12-07-23, 11:56 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Very few people will ever have an opinion about what you wear - those who do only care for a few seconds.

Wear what you want (even if it is dorky)!
May I quote myself from 2010? "Dorky?" HaHa. I love old threads. Tom Stormcrowe. Others no longer contributing. Some have just moved on to Foo & P&R.

Clearly there is no common perception of 'team kit'.

Vintage jersey - it does not get worn much.

Also a few of (what I call) brand jerseys

Bianchi, Falcon, Zeus

then the fun jerseys
Swiss Champion (yeah, right - but also National Ski Patrol) and Old Man Champion

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-07-23 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-07-23, 12:03 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F

More often, I'm probably wearing kit from Pactimo, La Passione, or NeoPro that doesn't feature the brand's name in large letters.
Hansen Dam! I was there yesterday on my mountain bike. I rode around in the basin, came up to the dam and went across, then down into the sand and 4 water crossings before going up to Dexter Park for a snack break.

When I was a kid there was water skiing there.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-07-23, 12:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Eric F
I have that jersey, too!! Mine is on the wall of my office. I'm pretty sure it doesn't fit me any more.
What do you know, we match!

Small world.

Likes For terrymorse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.