Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chafing on Sit Bones Area

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 09:19 AM
tenniscyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I ride my road bike once during the weekend (40-50 miles/17-18 mph) and ride relaxed sessions on my stationary bike twice during the week (2.5 hours a session). I have developed friction spots on my sit bones area that are irritated (ouch...stinging sore) from my road bike saddle. I have been riding for a couple of years, and although my sit bones would get sore at times in the past, this chafing/friction is a relatively new situation with the same saddle. Where I live now, I don't have a bike expert/store within two hours driving distance, so chamois cream has been the most helpful thing at this point. I have experimented a little with saddle tilt and tried a different saddle. Are there any standard recommendations (e.g., saddle tilt or saddle height) that might help fix this problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-23, 09:27 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 945 Posts
Quality bibshorts/Chamois and Bag Balm stopped this issue for me for good.
My saddles are perfectly level.
Old 09-05-23, 09:45 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,661 Times in 2,928 Posts
Sitting on a stationary bike for long periods of time keep you in a more fixed position. As a result, your pressure points/sitz bone areas tend to get the brunt of it. This has happened to me too when riding on my trainer for longer than an hour. I would recommend using chamois cream on those areas and standing more and/or reducing stationary cycling time. First you need to heal which means time off the saddle. You can do this by out of the saddle spinning. But really cut back saddle time or you will just make it worse.

Old 09-05-23, 10:17 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
neosporin till it clears up.

what are you wearing when riding on the stationary? when i rode the stationary i was just in cotton gym shorts, i thought i was so smart till the chafing started. went back to my regular cycling shorts. the chafing is there, more like callouses now but i do spend a lot of time on the saddle.
Old 09-05-23, 10:26 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
What saddle do you have? in my experience chaffing is usually the result of too much movement causing friction. I've never experienced it with a bike saddle by have from ill fitting hiking boots.
Old 09-05-23, 10:31 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
neosporin till it clears up.

what are you wearing when riding on the stationary? when i rode the stationary i was just in cotton gym shorts, i thought i was so smart till the chafing started. went back to my regular cycling shorts. the chafing is there, more like callouses now but i do spend a lot of time on the saddle.
so had an interesting conversation with a dermatologist. He said not to use neosporin on saddle type sores. He also said you do not want tough skin down there as it will do more harm and more chance of getting more sores that end up taking a long time to heal. He said keep the skin soft like with chamois butt'r cream. I had thought neosporin would be good but he said no. again only repeating what he told me.
Old 09-05-23, 10:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
If you have a hairy butt, then trim the hair shorter. Doesn't need to be shaved clean, just short.
Old 09-05-23, 10:37 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Double check your seat height. A too high seat height will cause you to rock a bit, which causes the chaffing and saddle sores. That is the most common cause of saddle sores. If you are firmly planted on the seat, you should not be moving on the seat where your sit bones are. If you are getting chaffing there, you are rocking at least enough to cause chaffing.
Likes For phughes:
Old 09-05-23, 11:45 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Things to consider:
- Try different saddles
- Saddle tilt: level or slightly forward gets pressure off the sit bones (but onto other bits)
- Try different chamois
- Use chamois cream
- Wash your posterior with an acne wash with salicylic acid and an exfoliating cloth
- Don't leave too much time between the ride and the wash
- Stand more often while riding

Last edited by urbanknight; 09-05-23 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 09-05-23, 11:58 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
In addition to chamois cream added to a good pair of cycling shorts, I rub a layer of petroleum jelly to the spot that tends to chaff.
Old 09-05-23, 12:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you have a hairy butt, then trim the hair shorter. Doesn't need to be shaved clean, just short.
This ^^^. Grooming of the undercarriage can make a significant difference to comfort.

As others have mentioned...
- Saddle shape
- Saddle position (height, tilt, fore/aft)
- Shorts/bibs (a good quality pad is a game-changer)
Old 09-05-23, 12:15 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
so had an interesting conversation with a dermatologist. He said not to use neosporin on saddle type sores. He also said you do not want tough skin down there as it will do more harm and more chance of getting more sores that end up taking a long time to heal. He said keep the skin soft like with chamois butt'r cream. I had thought neosporin would be good but he said no. again only repeating what he told me.
Likely because Neosporin is an antibiotic. Saddle sores are not an infection. If your initial saddle sores develop an abscess, it's time to see your physician.

"Sit bones" = ischial tuberosity.

Last edited by Jicafold; 09-05-23 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-05-23, 01:05 PM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
My experience agrees with what phughes said. If my saddle is too high, I can get chafing in the sit-bone (ischial tuberosity, to be pedantic) area, while if my saddle is the right height I can get sore there, but no chafing.
Even if your saddle is the same height it's always been, your body can change over time. If your flexibility is a little less for some reason, a saddle that was the right height before could be too high now. Or, if you've done any maintenance or installed any new gear and you had to move the saddle/remove the seat post/etc. then the saddle height could have been affected. IME, even just a few mm can make a significant difference.
Saddle model can also play in to saddle height. If I put my Brooks B17N and my Selle Italia (different bikes) at the same height, the Selle Italia will effectively be higher, and I'll need to drop it 5 -10 mm or so to get it right.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 09-05-23, 03:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Some people claim petroleum jelly can clog pores, which doesn't seem like a Good Thing. Chafing implies friction, though. How are you getting friction under your sit-bones? If your sit-bones are moving, I'd think in terms of a saddle that's too high.
Old 09-05-23, 08:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Originally Posted by Eric F
This ^^^. Grooming of the undercarriage can make a significant difference to comfort.
Might have to experiment with the length. As I am part sasquatch, I noticed that too short makes the hairs prickly and chafe everything, and too long does absolutely no good.
Old 09-06-23, 02:16 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I really feel for you, having had the same issue myself. For me, like you, it developed quite suddenly and for no readily apparent reason. I seem to be pretty much on top of it now but I'll pass on the benefit of my experience.

For the most part I resent spending huge amounts of money on cycling apparel. I really can't see that spending over £130 on a jersey gets me greater benefit than spending £30 (suggestions, please?). My single major exception to this rule is shorts. My first foray into expensive shorts was a pair of Assos shorts; adjusted for inflation they are probably the most expensive shorts I've ever bought, and they were a disaster. Not only did I find them really uncomfortable but the stitching around the pad started to come undone fairly early on. So that simply goes to prove that cost isn't necessarily an indicator of comfort or quality. Move on some years, though, and I picked up a pair of Castelli shorts in a sale. I was immediately impressed and got a second pair not long afterwards. These lasted me for quite a while, but when they did finally wear out I decided to try out some Endura FS-260 Pro shorts. These have been yet another step up in comfort, and I have now added a second pair of bib shorts and some winter bib tights from the same range. It's all very personal, of course, and you may find they don't suit you at all, but I highly recommend searching for some good shorts that fit you snugly.

Through all those years I've continued to use Assos chamois creme. If I'm occasionally tempted not to bother I fairly quickly get reminded of why that's a poor choice. Obviously saddles play a part too. I've never found one that's been really comfortable for me over an extended period. The best I've ever had was a Fizik Arione, but it proved not to be very durable, given that it was fairly expensive. I now have a Fabric Line saddle which is pretty good and seems to be standing up to the daily rigour.

Whilst I agree in principle with the suggestion to stay off the bike until your sores are healed, there was a time in my life when I would have been off it more than on it. I eventually found a solution which worked for me; Compeed hydrocolloidal blister plasters. Obviously, what I was suffering from wasn't a blister, but it seemed to do the trick. You can leave it on for several days while the sore heals, it's made from a gel which seems to promote healing and the fact that it is stuck in place means there's no possibility of abrasion. I strongly recommend shaving before applying, though, or you will get to experience what hair waxing is like.

Best of luck!
Old 09-06-23, 07:00 AM
tenniscyclist

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. I learned some things and you all have given me a lot of things to try and info to digest. I'm grateful.
Old 09-06-23, 07:33 AM
Hvac

Bikes: About 10

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hey, I have a hairy butt. But then again my real name is Harry.
Old 09-06-23, 09:16 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by tenniscyclist
Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. I learned some things and you all have given me a lot of things to try and info to digest. I'm grateful.
Why aren’t you watching the U.S. Open instead?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-06-23, 09:18 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I really feel for you, having had the same issue myself. For me, like you, it developed quite suddenly and for no readily apparent reason. I seem to be pretty much on top of it now but I'll pass on the benefit of my experience.

For the most part I resent spending huge amounts of money on cycling apparel. I really can't see that spending over £130 on a jersey gets me greater benefit than spending £30 (suggestions, please?). My single major exception to this rule is shorts. My first foray into expensive shorts was a pair of Assos shorts; adjusted for inflation they are probably the most expensive shorts I've ever bought, and they were a disaster. Not only did I find them really uncomfortable but the stitching around the pad started to come undone fairly early on. So that simply goes to prove that cost isn't necessarily an indicator of comfort or quality. Move on some years, though, and I picked up a pair of Castelli shorts in a sale. I was immediately impressed and got a second pair not long afterwards. These lasted me for quite a while, but when they did finally wear out I decided to try out some Endura FS-260 Pro shorts. These have been yet another step up in comfort, and I have now added a second pair of bib shorts and some winter bib tights from the same range. It's all very personal, of course, and you may find they don't suit you at all, but I highly recommend searching for some good shorts that fit you snugly.

Through all those years I've continued to use Assos chamois creme. If I'm occasionally tempted not to bother I fairly quickly get reminded of why that's a poor choice. Obviously saddles play a part too. I've never found one that's been really comfortable for me over an extended period. The best I've ever had was a Fizik Arione, but it proved not to be very durable, given that it was fairly expensive. I now have a Fabric Line saddle which is pretty good and seems to be standing up to the daily rigour.

Whilst I agree in principle with the suggestion to stay off the bike until your sores are healed, there was a time in my life when I would have been off it more than on it. I eventually found a solution which worked for me; Compeed hydrocolloidal blister plasters. Obviously, what I was suffering from wasn't a blister, but it seemed to do the trick. You can leave it on for several days while the sore heals, it's made from a gel which seems to promote healing and the fact that it is stuck in place means there's no possibility of abrasion. I strongly recommend shaving before applying, though, or you will get to experience what hair waxing is like.

Best of luck!
+1 on Endura shorts. They are now my ‘go to’ shorts. Have ASSOS as well, but only for medium length rides.

Old 09-06-23, 09:55 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by tenniscyclist
I ride my road bike once during the weekend (40-50 miles/17-18 mph) and ride relaxed sessions on my stationary bike twice during the week (2.5 hours a session). I have developed friction spots on my sit bones area that are irritated (ouch...stinging sore) from my road bike saddle. I have been riding for a couple of years, and although my sit bones would get sore at times in the past, this chafing/friction is a relatively new situation with the same saddle. Where I live now, I don't have a bike expert/store within two hours driving distance, so chamois cream has been the most helpful thing at this point. I have experimented a little with saddle tilt and tried a different saddle. Are there any standard recommendations (e.g., saddle tilt or saddle height) that might help fix this problem? Thanks in advance.
There are 7 factors in preventing saddle numbness and pain:

1) saddle adjustment - tilt angle is very important and very small changes are noticeable

2) sitting properly - a lot of people ride too far forward on the saddle. Your "sit bones" should be perched on the rear, wide part of the saddle

3) standing up - you should never let things go numb or get painful. At the first sign of any lack of feeling or pain, pedal standing up for a short distance and repeat as necessary to bring the feeling back and prevent further numbness

4) easing up - you want to lift your rear end off the saddle any time you are going to hit a bump or sharp edge. It's easier on your anatomy, your wheels, your tires, and the rest of your bike.

5) bike fit: in addition to saddle height and tilt, there is fore/aft adjustment, reach and drop to the bars, and cleat position.

6) tires: proper width with the right PSI for your weight and roads so you don't feel every single road imperfection.

7) saddle - there are some people who can ride most any saddle if it is properly adjusted (see #1) and there are some people who have problems with nearly any saddle. It's hard to predict which type you are. Work on 1-6 and if that doesn't help, THEN consider a new saddle.
Old 09-06-23, 10:09 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvac
Hey, I have a hairy butt. But then again my real name is Harry.
last name Butz? brother named Seymour...I really did know a guy named Richard Harry. and you know everyone called him Dick and you know in school when they would call your last name first than your first...always got everyone laughing. There was a kid who ran track at the next town over named Mike Hunt. I believe he was a tough sob.
Old 09-06-23, 11:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
You haven't said (or I missed) that you wear quality cycling shorts or bibs. If you don't, buy some. Go to a store where you can try them on or bring them back. You want a snug fit with no wrinkles "down there" whatsoever. If you choose to go cheaper and stick to cycling shorts, buy and use clip-on suspenders. They will help greatly in preventing wrinkles.

Use one of the various chamois creams on your crotch. While you still have sores (or if they return and you are planning to ride) use liberal amounts of Bag Balm. (Any old school pharmacy. Comes in a green square metal can looking like it is from about 120 years ago. Don't worry. It was made recently but was originally formulated back then. So farmers could make life bearable for their cows that started refusing to have their teats abused by the early mechanical milkers. The milkers rapidly got better and farmer's wives now had all this stuff on hand that the cows no longer needed. And guess what? It's really good stuff for all sorts of skin chafe issues, especially saddle sores. No, it is not a medicine. But it is wonderful if you have to further abrade that already compromised skin.)

And as was said above - the indoor bike is probably harder on your saddle contact points than your outdoor bike. You may need to use the same shorts and lubricant (or better) when riding it. Cleanliness is also important. Bacteria is just as bad as the physical damage and just loves to jump in and do its thing as soon as your skin is broken.

You may find other clothes that work for you besides cycling shorts. For the vast majority of us, that is not cotton. Back in the dark ages when cycling shorts were pretty hideous or expensive, from Europe and had real chamois leather pads, we all knew men who rode in women's panties and stayed issue free. I never did but I also didn't laugh. For shorter rides like into town or as an extra layer on cold days I wear UnderArmor briefs next to my skin but I will start to chafe eventually. Use generous Bag Balm if I'm going very far.

Edit: Spending money on good shorts. For me, that's the Segoi shorts. Great fit. Again, try them on! In a setting without pressure. Call before you go to the shop. Do they have a dressing room? Can you bring them back? (Good shops know how important this is.)

And a tip that I do - trim my saddle contact areas with a beard trimmer at its closest setting. Not shaved with risk of cuts, but now the hairs are so short they do not get caught between me and shorts/saddle and get pulled out. Pulled hairs? Think about those bacteria that are just looking for a new place to set up shop.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-06-23 at 11:22 AM.