Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking seatpost

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Creaking seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 02:03 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Creaking seatpost

Hello,

I have a recurring problem with my gravel bike. It creaks loudly. I've located the creak on the seatpost insertion.

If I remove the seatpost and clean everything, the creaking stops. The problem is that, as I ride the bike and the rear wheel inevitably throws dust and dirt towards the seatpost, it manages to find its way between the post and frame through the seat tube slit again (I assume that happens when it flexes while riding), and the creaking comes back in a few rides. I have never had this happen on any of my bikes... I assume that this bike having low seat stays has more flex facilitating dirt ingress.

I'm thinking of placing some tape that covers the slit under the clamp, but it seems really ugly. Is there a better solution?
Old 05-22-24, 03:29 AM
hidetaka

Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Have you considered buying a proper frame with horizontal top tube and no dropped seat stays?
On a more serious note, there are 'seat tube dust covers' available from many online retailers.
Old 05-22-24, 03:41 AM
Duragrouch

Liked 580 Times in 469 Posts
A piece of bike inner tube of the correct size should fit over both the seat post and top of seat tube. Experiment with sizes. I never toss old tubes, great for tons of things. Better than tape sticky residue on there. I think I've seen these on many bike fridays at the juncture of the telescoping seat tube.

Also though, aluminum on aluminum often produces "aluminum spooge". Aluminum anti-seize might prevent that, but also cause your seatpost to slip.

But I like the horizontal top tube suggestion, I'm a retro-grouch on that for road bikes.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 05-22-24, 04:57 AM
Ron Damon

Liked 667 Times in 422 Posts
Grease has solved my creaky seatpost problems in the past.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 05-22-24, 05:11 AM
Mackers

Liked 201 Times in 152 Posts
The squeaky seat post gets the grease.
Old 05-22-24, 05:38 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Liked 458 Times in 326 Posts
I doubt that dirt infiltration is the main reason for the creaking. If the post you are using is even slightly undersized or the bore of the seat tube slightly oversized the recurring creak problem will continue to recur. I suppose since it is a gravel bike the height of the post if there is a lot exposed will expose the issue sooner. Amt0571 would you mind sharing info about your frame, what seatpost and what seat collar you are using? A picture or two would help as would some metric caliper measurements dof seat tube bore and seatpost diameter.
Likes For masi61:
Old 05-22-24, 06:38 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Grease has solved my creaky seatpost problems in the past.
Unfortunately, I don't want a gravel bike with a dropper post.

Originally Posted by masi61
I doubt that dirt infiltration is the main reason for the creaking. If the post you are using is even slightly undersized or the bore of the seat tube slightly oversized the recurring creak problem will continue to recur. I suppose since it is a gravel bike the height of the post if there is a lot exposed will expose the issue sooner. Amt0571 would you mind sharing info about your frame, what seatpost and what seat collar you are using? A picture or two would help as would some metric caliper measurements dof seat tube bore and seatpost diameter.
The bike is a Triban RC520 GRVL. The seatpost and collar are the stock unbranded ones sold under the Decatholon brand, I'm not sure who manufactures them. Nothing seems out of tolerance but I'll measure it just in case. It's a cheap bike, so probably quality is not the best... I also have dirt ingress issues with the derailleur cable housing because the outer end caps are low quality, but that's easy to solve. In any case, it rides good and is more that decent for its price.

It's this bike:

Originally Posted by hidetaka
Have you considered buying a proper frame with horizontal top tube and no dropped seat stays?
On a more serious note, there are 'seat tube dust covers' available from many online retailers.
I don't like dropped stays nor do I like the tight tire clearances, but I bought the bike for 600€ in like new condition while normal price was 1100€ (it even had the original brake pads and tires with no measurable wear) and it was simply too hard to pass.
Old 05-22-24, 08:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 4,993 Times in 3,438 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571

The bike is a Triban RC520 GRVL. The seatpost and collar are the stock unbranded ones sold under the Decatholon brand, I'm not sure who manufactures them. Nothing seems out of tolerance but I'll measure it just in case. It's a cheap bike, so probably quality is not the best... I also have dirt ingress issues with the derailleur cable housing because the outer end caps are low quality, but that's easy to solve. In any case, it rides good and is more that decent for its price.

It's this bike:

I don't like dropped stays nor do I like the tight tire clearances, but I bought the bike for 600€ in like new condition while normal price was 1100€ (it even had the original brake pads and tires with no measurable wear) and it was simply too hard to pass.
Curious as to what you notice that makes you not like the dropped stays.

If the tire clearance isn't enough, put narrower tires on it.

Bike was used or NOS? If used, are you certain it has the original seat post. If a seat post with a narrower diameter was put in, then even with the clamp being able to hold it at the top of the tube, the end of the seat post might be rocking back and forth in the seat tube making your noise.

Though realize there is always the chance the noise might be something else that just solves itself incidentally to your actions taken each time. It could even be sweaty bike shorts rubbing on the nose of the saddle when any dressings or stuff you might use to clean the saddle wear off.
Old 05-22-24, 08:35 AM
force10

Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
[QUOTE=Amt0571;23246391]Unfortunately, I don't want a gravel bike with a dropper post.

Are you saying that your seatpost isn't greased? If so, that is almost certainly the problem.
Old 05-22-24, 08:44 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Liked 458 Times in 326 Posts
Greasing a seatpost with thick high quality grease should help it stay put and be quiet. You could also use carbon fiber grip paste to allay your objection to grease. You didn’t mention if you are tightening the seat collar bolt with a torque wrench and to what torque setting. A low quality seat collar could be tuned up a bit - make sure the orifice for the Allen head cap screw gets lightly greased as well as greasing the bolt threads and the threaded hole in the seat clamp body. If these were dry previously, you may not have detected that the seat clamp was not sufficiently torqued to prevent a recurrence of the creaking noise. Is the seatpost a 27.2?
Likes For masi61:
Old 05-22-24, 11:38 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by Iride01
Curious as to what you notice that makes you not like the dropped stays.

If the tire clearance isn't enough, put narrower tires on it.

Bike was used or NOS? If used, are you certain it has the original seat post. If a seat post with a narrower diameter was put in, then even with the clamp being able to hold it at the top of the tube, the end of the seat post might be rocking back and forth in the seat tube making your noise.

Though realize there is always the chance the noise might be something else that just solves itself incidentally to your actions taken each time. It could even be sweaty bike shorts rubbing on the nose of the saddle when any dressings or stuff you might use to clean the saddle wear off.
It's identical to the seatpost new bikes had on the store. Bike was apparently very lightly used and returned with few miles after less than 15 days. The original buyer bought it when there were no bikes in stock and, considering he replaced the stem with a really long one, it seems the problem was that it was not his size.

[QUOTE=force10;23246482]

Are you saying that your seatpost isn't greased? If so, that is almost certainly the problem.
No. It isn't greased. I only use carbon paste on carbon posts, which is not the case. I've never had a seatpost creak. I've had greased seatposts slide like mad though.

Originally Posted by masi61
Greasing a seatpost with thick high quality grease should help it stay put and be quiet. You could also use carbon fiber grip paste to allay your objection to grease. You didn’t mention if you are tightening the seat collar bolt with a torque wrench and to what torque setting. A low quality seat collar could be tuned up a bit - make sure the orifice for the Allen head cap screw gets lightly greased as well as greasing the bolt threads and the threaded hole in the seat clamp body. If these were dry previously, you may not have detected that the seat clamp was not sufficiently torqued to prevent a recurrence of the creaking noise. Is the seatpost a 27.2?
I'm currently not sure about the seatpost size. I'll try carbon paste. It's torqued to 6nm using a torque wrench.
Old 05-22-24, 01:16 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,105 Times in 1,873 Posts
No. It isn't greased. I only use carbon paste on carbon posts, which is not the case. I've never had a seatpost creak. I've had greased seatposts slide like mad though.
Agreed--you need to grease your seatpost.

If it slides--there's a bigger problem.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-22-24, 04:21 PM
Duragrouch

Yeah I don't know about greasing a seatpost. If I needed to, I would use (aluminum) anti-seize, it has what feels like a grease base, but the very fine metal powder is supposed to put back some of the friction, while still having the other benefits of grease, such as eliminating squeaks, corrosion, and seizing. However, either one would be a huge mess on my folding bike where the seatpost slides up and down like about a half meter. But a bit of anti-seize on the sliding surface of the external-cam seatpost clamp, made a big difference in lever force versus clamp force. I do also put anti-seize between the steel frame and (fixed) seatpost bushing/sleeve, but not between the bushing and (moving) seatpost.

And like I said, a piece of inner tube will keep that clamp joint a lot cleaner. In fact, though I haven't had problems like you have, this has motivated me to cut a piece of tube to fit my bike, I don't need to fold it often, and that'll keep both grit and water out of the bottom bracket shell. My guess is there are commercially made covers out of wetsuit material (neoprene foam sheet?) that velcro in place, easy on and off.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-22-24 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-22-24, 06:00 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Yeah I don't know about greasing a seatpost.
You realize greasing the seatpost is standard shop practice when building a bike, right?
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-22-24, 06:46 PM
Koyote

Liked 11,384 Times in 4,863 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You realize greasing the seatpost is standard shop practice when building a bike, right?
Seems like the OP doesn’t know this, either.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-22-24, 06:51 PM
Duragrouch

I did not. I can see the reasons. I think old smooth chromed DOM steel posts might slip with grease, but evidently not modern aluminum ones.

As I said, grease or antiseize on a long seatpost on a folder would be a nightmare of a mess. Fortunately I have no corrosion, galling, or squeaking issues there. If grease was needed there, I guarantee you that someone would rapidly invent and produce, an accordian-bellows-style shield to contain the mess, those are used commonly on many products these days and there may even be off-the-shelf material available, needing only to cut to length and band clamp at top of seat tube and top of seatpost.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-22-24 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-22-24, 06:57 PM
smd4

I think old smooth chromed DOM steel posts might slip with grease, but evidently not modern aluminum ones.
They didn’t.

I know nothing about folders and how messy their seatposts get.
Old 05-22-24, 07:19 PM
Duragrouch

They didn’t.

Well, my folder at my seat height, there is 17" of exposed seatpost and about 6" inside the seat tube, with almost the entire seatpost descending when folded, about 10" of that then sticking out below the frame. So all that up and down would put grease everywhere on hands and anything else the seatpost touched. A bellows on top and bottom of the post could solve that, but fortunately, currently a solution in search of a problem, the post moves fine without grease. However, a carbon post that required friction paste to not overtorque, that might be needed. I avoid carbon, but there are tons of folding bikers who install every carbon bike part known to humankind, in search of lighter carry weight, a totally valid consideration, and seatpost is the biggest weight saver among them.
Old 05-22-24, 11:13 PM
Ron Damon

Agreed--you need to grease your seatpost.

If it slides--there's a bigger problem.
That's right. A greased seatpost that slides points to a separate, different problem. If the seatpost collar, seatpost and seat tube are all in good shape and in the correct size, there is no reason why a greased seatpost should slide.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 05-22-24, 11:17 PM
Ron Damon

I did not....

As I said, grease or antiseize on a long seatpost on a folder would be a nightmare of a mess. ...
I told you so. The greasing the seatpost bit.

And no, grease on a long seatpost on a folder need not be a mess.
Old 05-22-24, 11:20 PM
Ron Damon

They didn’t.

Trust me, they need not get messy when greased.

Old 05-23-24, 01:11 PM
bboy314

Liked 1,058 Times in 538 Posts
As others have mentioned, metal seatposts should absolutely be greased. Since you say the creak is definitely coming from the post, I’m willing to bet that’s your problem.
Old 05-23-24, 03:35 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Liked 596 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Trust me, they need not get messy when greased.

That seatpost does not look greased; if it is, it's a very thin layer and very recently done.
Old 05-23-24, 03:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,232 Times in 2,831 Posts
Grease, anti-seize or fiber paste along with proper installation and torque is crucial to a non-creaky seatpost (assuming seatpost is correct size)
Old 05-23-24, 04:12 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by sweeks
That seatpost does not look greased; if it is, it's a very thin layer and very recently done.
That seat tube is 6” tall; how much do you think the exposed seat post should be greased??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.