Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Older Lemond steel bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Older Lemond steel bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 09:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
No one has corrected an earlier statement - at least i thought i read, don't see it now -

A larger frame size (61cm) will not usually allow for a wider tire than a smaller frame (56/57). If you want to run 28mm tires, better check the LeMond model and tire spacing. or get a Poprad.
Old 01-22-17, 06:58 PM
RideMyLeMond

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Raleigh Gran Sport (frame only), 1989 Diamondback Apex, 1997 LeMond Zurich, 2018 Specialized Diverge running R8020 Ultegra.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My newest bike (relative term) is a '97 LeMond Zurich that was originally setup with Shimano 600 (Ultegra STI) 8-spd and still is. I've replaced the crank with a 5700 50/34 and 6700 brakes. I'd love to get Shimano Ultegra ST-6700 Carbon 10 Speed Double Shifters 2x10 and Ultegra RD-6700A-GS 10-Speed Road Rear Derailleur Medium Cage and then run an 11-30 or even 32 cassette. This bike is so wonderful for all day riding... And when you stand on the pedals it responds very well. It isn't Carbon or Ti light, but I could always lose some lbs myself...

Last edited by RideMyLeMond; 01-28-17 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For RideMyLeMond:
Old 01-24-17, 02:39 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride a LeMond Zurich, circa 2001. 853 Reynolds steel with a carbon fork. This bike rides like a dream. Things got dreamier when I sold off the low-spoke Rolf wheels — to me, they rolled like wagon wheels — and threw on some 32-spoke wheels. Looks nicer, too. My only complaint was the paint ... rust developed on the underside of the top tube (from sweat dripping off my brow ... I live in the Deep South, and sweating is a fact of life). Had to get the bike repainted, so it is an undercover LeMond for now. If I could find some decals, I'd slap some on. I'm currently riding a 25mm tire on the front and a 32mm on the rear. I could run a 28 on the front, and I've done so in the past. It is, though, a tight fight. If the tire is taller than usual, it might rub the top of the fork when you hit a bump. Had that happen. This is my daily rider — I use it on my commutes (sometimes ride a different bike, with fenders and a dyno hub). One day I hope to get Greg LeMond to sign it. Wouldn't that be cool. I've never ridden a carbon-framed bike, so I can't make that dangerous comparison. All I can say is this bike is light, responsive and comfortable. The Lance/Trek story ... I hope that isn't true. A real heartbreaker. LeMond bikes were relatively popular when I bought mine. Not Trek-popular, of course, but you did see them in bike shops. Lance made many millions ... Greg LeMond, a true champion and a hero, goes out of business. Fugh!
Old 01-24-17, 03:05 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Had to get the bike repainted, so it is an undercover LeMond for now. If I could find some decals, I'd slap some on.
Velocals, $39.95

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-26-17, 10:24 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
One day I hope to get Greg LeMond to sign it. Wouldn't that be cool.!
He came to the Atlanta area many, many years ago for a auto road race series and lead a ride down around Peachtree City. He was very gracious and blast to ride with. When he saw my Zurich, he said "Nice bike" and after the ride he signed it. He included his signature and the years of his tour wins. Unfortunately, it was signed in permanent marker and while I tried desperately to preserve it, I ultimately failed. Most, if not all of it has been removed over time. Fortunately, a few weeks later he or one of his representatives sent me an autographed Lemond jersey which I am quite fond of and still have on display.

Never did really jump on the Lance band wagon, nor am I a Lance hater. I have just always been a Lemond fan.
Old 01-26-17, 11:04 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I ride a LeMond Zurich, circa 2001. 853 Reynolds steel with a carbon fork. This bike rides like a dream. Things got dreamier when I sold off the low-spoke Rolf wheels — to me, they rolled like wagon wheels — and threw on some 32-spoke wheels. Looks nicer, too. My only complaint was the paint ... rust developed on the underside of the top tube (from sweat dripping off my brow ... I live in the Deep South, and sweating is a fact of life). Had to get the bike repainted, so it is an undercover LeMond for now.
I also had an early 2000's LeMond but Malliot Jaune, IIRC. I sent it in to be repainted and the painter said that there was a lot of rust in the bottom bracket shell area. He ended up brazing on a plate under it for support. I later on broke the seat tube right above the BB so think it was partly due to the extra heat from his work. But my point from this is try to pull the BB and check the shell area. I suspect that these frames can get condensation inside and there was no way for the water to escape the frame. I also wonder if putting a small hole in the bottom of the BB shell would help the water to get out. I still really liked that Reynolds 853 frameset and wouldn't hesitate to get another if I needed one. Would also size down to a 55cm instead of the 57cm that I had due to the top tube length.
Old 01-26-17, 11:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The Lance/Trek story ... I hope that isn't true...

I'm afraid that it's been widely written about, testified and corroborated. Sorry about that...
Old 01-27-17, 09:36 AM
heysmellthis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lynskeyman
there is no downside to getting an older bike as long as that older bike is not trashed and needing a bunch of parts to get into running condition, those parts may cost more than the bike is worth. so tread carefully when buying an older bike. do a lot of studying on the internet for the kind of bike and components on it or them, and make sure the frame and fork aren't bent or rusting and you should be fine. older bikes can be fun and a good one can be a revelation
hi im looking at a few Lemonds on cl. and a Klein quantum race in "mint condition". i bike to get where im going and i dont make much mulah. the Lemonds are $400-$550 and the Klein is $400 this post makes me feel more comfortable ill be seeig the Klein today and the Lemonds tomorrow but i'm leaning more to the Klein. could you offer any advice on old bikes and all? im 243 and dropping weight fast and the Klein has those stock Rolf wheels on it but the Lemonds have those few spokes fancy wheels too so ill have to replace wheels either way. any way just here at work oh the main lemond is a cross styl bike i think its Poprad?? i think.
Old 04-07-17, 09:00 PM
postdove

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

My first post here, not sure if this is the right group. My 2002 steel Tourmalet finally started showing its age. Tiagra 9-speed shifters became shaky and not precise. Looks like Shimano Sora is the only available 9-spped option for brifters. On the other hand can easily go for 10-speed Tiagra or Apex. 11-speed would be problematic, as my Neuvation wheels are not compatible. The $2K question, is it worth? Thank you.
Old 04-07-17, 10:13 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by postdove
... The $2K question, is it worth? Thank you.
... a newer rear wheel is <$200
Old 04-07-17, 10:32 PM
DanBF

Bikes: 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1974 Schwinn World Traveler, 1999 Bianchi Campione, 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn High Plains

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RideMyLeMond
My newest bike (relative term) is a '97 LeMond Zurich that was originally setup with Shimano 600 (Ultegra STI) 8-spd and still is. I've replaced the crank with a 5700 50/34 and 6700 brakes. I'd love to get Shimano Ultegra ST-6700 Carbon 10 Speed Double Shifters 2x10 and Ultegra RD-6700A-GS 10-Speed Road Rear Derailleur Medium Cage and then run an 11-30 or even 32 cassette. This bike is so wonderful for all day riding... And when you stand on the pedals it responds very well. It isn't Carbon or Ti light, but I could always lose some lbs myself...

I have a 1997 LeMond Zurich too. It is stock and can handle Continental Gatorskin 28mm tires just fine.
Old 04-08-17, 02:32 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts
Hi,

My first post here, not sure if this is the right group. My 2002 steel Tourmalet finally started showing its age. Tiagra 9-speed shifters became shaky and not precise. Looks like Shimano Sora is the only available 9-spped option for brifters. On the other hand can easily go for 10-speed Tiagra or Apex. 11-speed would be problematic, as my Neuvation wheels are not compatible. The $2K question, is it worth? Thank you.
Never a reason not to update a Lemond. They are wonderful frames. With Ebay out there you should be able to find some good replacement 9 speed brifters just fine.

My 2003 Tourmelet was rebuilt with Ultegra and Dura Ace parts and is a wonderful ride.

Old 04-08-17, 04:37 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I'm currently riding a CF bike and I love it. That said, I'd like to have a steel frame bike to ride. I've been looking at older LeMond bikes, with the idea of upgrading the groupset to to something modern (10 or 11 spd). Any downside to getting an older Zurich or Alpe d'Huez? If I understand correctly, these bikes were designed with a longer wheelbase than other brands of similar sized bikes. How pronounced is this? Can I overcome this with a shorter stem?

If you have one of these, how do you like it?
I used to have a Lemond Zurich. The top tube is very long and made me feel stretched out. If I had to do it all over again, I would go down a size.
Old 04-08-17, 04:39 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedud
Not a longer "wheelbase", but a longer top tube. If you ride a 56cm frame, get a 55cm Lemond. I road a 98 Zurich for seven or eight years, loved the ride. One caveat you may want to be aware of- My Zurich was made during that time period when high performance road bikes were being manufactured with very little room between the fork and stays for larger tires. I never could get even 700x25's to fit without rubbing.
Incorrect. You can fit up to 700 X 30 on a Lemond Zurich without any difficulty. But it has no room for any larger tires so if you want 700 X 32, you're out of luck.
Old 04-08-17, 06:20 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
No one has corrected an earlier statement - at least i thought i read, don't see it now -

A larger frame size (61cm) will not usually allow for a wider tire than a smaller frame (56/57). If you want to run 28mm tires, better check the LeMond model and tire spacing. or get a Poprad.
This.

An alternative to a Lemond, if you cannot find one is a Centurion Ironman Expert or Prestige. Good luck getting 25s on those either.
Old 04-08-17, 07:08 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I don't think any one person or company can be thought of as good or bad lately. I think all the top riders doped and still don't believe the sport is clean.
Kinda off topic, but I just wanted to say I agree very much with this sentiment.
Old 04-10-17, 07:39 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Incorrect. You can fit up to 700 X 30 on a Lemond Zurich without any difficulty. But it has no room for any larger tires so if you want 700 X 32, you're out of luck.
Respectfully disagree. On my 98 Lemond, I have tried Michelin, Continental, Vredestein, Challenge , Clement and others. At best, they barely clear the bottom of the fork crown which causes abrasive action as the tire picks up sand, debris, and other forms of detritus. Will they fit? Yes. But for me the lack of any real clearance is not acceptable.
Old 04-10-17, 07:57 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had no idea LA imposed his power to hurt Lemond like this. Terrible story.

I hope that one of those giant entities that are suing LA for millions throws a couple of bucks Lemond's way afterward.
Old 05-20-20, 07:04 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Zurich

Wanted to share my new acquisition. Bought a zurich 2001 as I could not resist even wearing a covid mask did not stop me. This is my first lemond.

Probably overpaid a bit but hope to ride the hell out of it. The seller drove far to meet me which was probably worth about $60 in itself. It is shown as received. I found out the right hand shifter is not working. Hopefully flushing it out will solve that. I would have preferred the model with triple front crank. Does anyone know if the ultegra front derailleur will shift a triple?
Likes For Kars:
Old 05-20-20, 10:26 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
back in the day, bought a new 2002 buenos aires (full ultegra, 853 reynolds) which was $1299 if i remember correctly. the new zurich ran about $500 more.
didn't realize just exactly how good i had it as i was a fairly new rider. kept it for about a year and a half and transferred components to a newer frame and
sold the lemond buenos aires frame. i purposefully have a small place so that i can't keep more than 3 bicycles...if i end up moving to a larger place, a
2000-2002 zurich is at the top of my acquisition and building list.
Old 05-20-20, 10:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by Kars
Wanted to share my new acquisition. Bought a zurich 2001 as I could not resist even wearing a covid mask did not stop me. This is my first lemond.

Probably overpaid a bit but hope to ride the hell out of it. The seller drove far to meet me which was probably worth about $60 in itself. It is shown as received. I found out the right hand shifter is not working. Hopefully flushing it out will solve that. I would have preferred the model with triple front crank. Does anyone know if the ultegra front derailleur will shift a triple?
looks like it's in great shape. jelly. enjoy!!
Old 05-21-20, 02:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I have two Lemonds, 2001 Tourmalet and 2003 Poprad. The Tourmalet is one of the 2 bikes I most often ride these days. I like the Poprad a lot but mine is a bit too big for me. I almost bought a Zurich frame last week. I am also interested in acquiring an Alpe D'huez. Ideally, I would find a frame/bike in 53/54 and trade or sell my 55 cm Poprad.
Old 05-21-20, 11:14 AM
penquin

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, LeMond Tourmalet, Focus Mares

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2000 Tourmalet that probably had the same generation of Tiagra. I put a new Tiagra 10 speed group on it and it transformed the bike. The new Tiagra is pretty darn good and nothing like that older generation. It's noticeably lighter now too.

As I've gotten older, the longer top tube has been less comfortable. I compensated with a shorter stem and zero degree setback seat post and I'm back in business with it again. Love the bike and reading this thread makes me want to pick up another LeMond. I really need to stay off these forums. It's a bad influence.
Old 05-21-20, 08:21 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by penquin
I have a 2000 Tourmalet that probably had the same generation of Tiagra. I put a new Tiagra 10 speed group on it and it transformed the bike. The new Tiagra is pretty darn good and nothing like that older generation. It's noticeably lighter now too.

As I've gotten older, the longer top tube has been less comfortable. I compensated with a shorter stem and zero degree setback seat post and I'm back in business with it again. Love the bike and reading this thread makes me want to pick up another LeMond. I really need to stay off these forums. It's a bad influence.
right?!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-22-20, 07:37 AM
force10

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Does anyone have a photo of clearances with a 28 mm (or larger)
tire on a 2001 Zurich?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.