Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Climbing Out of the Saddle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Climbing Out of the Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 03:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
A... I also like genejockey 's comment about keeping his nose as a centerline and having all the "dancing" going on from the waist down.
I think of it as a point between my eyes. When I dance, everything moves except that point just rotates. I think of exactly two things going straight up the hill. That point and my tires. (The experienced riders in my racing club long ago stressed riding straight up that hill, no weaving. Leaving perfect lines on wet roads. Shorter distance ridden so less rolling and everything else resistance and no scrubbing of the front tire.)
Old 02-14-23, 05:31 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Dylan Johnson's summary of the climbing out of the saddle studies:

TLDR: Climbing out of the saddle is superior at or above VO2max, or when the grade exceeds 8 or 10 percent.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-14-23, 07:01 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Shift up two gears, grasp the hoods, and pull up on them to give more pressure to the pedals (unless I'm just standing to give my butt a break). No weight on the bar as that is robbing the pedals of power. I never really thought about where to position my body as it seems like all the other actions naturally dictate that anyway.
Old 02-14-23, 11:46 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I’ve been told to “try and tear the bike apart” and “pull forwards, not up.” I prefer less rocking over more, it’s aesthetically pleasing when you have it dialed in and don’t sway much.

when thinking too hard about which arm to pull with in tandem with my legs I can get confused and hung up on the details. Wow that sounds really dumb when reading it back. But really, I just go with what feels natural, which could easily change if I’m hurt or fatigued.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 02-14-23 at 11:49 PM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 02-15-23, 12:48 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I’ve been told to “try and tear the bike apart”
You probably shouldn't have taken that literally... 😉😜😂
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 02-15-23, 12:54 AM
Spandex_fairy

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I’ve been told to “try and tear the bike apart” and “pull forwards, not up.” I prefer less rocking over more, it’s aesthetically pleasing when you have it dialed in and don’t sway much.

when thinking too hard about which arm to pull with in tandem with my legs I can get confused and hung up on the details. Wow that sounds really dumb when reading it back. But really, I just go with what feels natural, which could easily change if I’m hurt or fatigued.
I think it makes cyclists look like pansies when climbing out of the saddle with tiny bars, locked elbows, and swaying trunk. It demonstrates a lack of upper body strength.
Old 02-15-23, 10:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I like to ride OOS in the drops, toes pointed slightly, pulling slightly up and back on the bar on the same side as the descending pedal. Almost no weight on the bars, normally rocking the bike maybe 4", more if pushing hard. On a hill sprint, I pull up hard enough to almost lift the front wheel off the ground with the downstroke. Well, that was back when I was strong. Not so much now.
Old 02-15-23, 11:03 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I like to ride OOS in the drops, toes pointed slightly, pulling slightly up and back on the bar on the same side as the descending pedal. Almost no weight on the bars, normally rocking the bike maybe 4", more if pushing hard.
Interesting. It's a rare cyclist that climbs OOS in the drops. Pantani comes to mind, but that's the only pro I can think of who did that. I've tried it, but it feels like I'm closing my hip angle. I save the drops for descents and sprints.

Do you prefer the drops because your bar drop is minimal?

Old 02-15-23, 11:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Interesting. It's a rare cyclist that climbs OOS in the drops. Pantani comes to mind, but that's the only pro I can think of who did that. I've tried it, but it feels like I'm closing my hip angle. I save the drops for descents and sprints.

Well, I wanted to climb like Pantani, so I started aping his method, which didn't get me climbing like Pantani, but it was remarkably better than anything else I'd tried. I'm the same height and so have similar bar drop, plus I use compact bars, so that opens it up a bit more. I don't know why he pointed his toes, but it does seem to help pedal turnover. Climbing in the drops rather than on the hoods also moves the hands back, which seems to produce better balance and less arm strain. The back of my thighs just brush the saddle nose and saddle's all the way back on a 30mm setback post. Hands on hoods moved my upper body too far forward, seemed biased toward weighting the bars.
Old 02-15-23, 11:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts

Only modern rider I can think of doing that is Roglic.
Old 02-15-23, 01:56 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Dylan Johnson's summary of the climbing out of the saddle studies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldbwNHglK5w

TLDR: Climbing out of the saddle is superior at or above VO2max, or when the grade exceeds 8 or 10 percent.
Or when your arse becomes numb!
Old 02-15-23, 02:16 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Spandex_fairy
I think it makes cyclists look like pansies when climbing out of the saddle with tiny bars, locked elbows, and swaying trunk. It demonstrates a lack of upper body strength.
Eddy Merckx, when asked whether he did upper-body weight workouts, replied "You don't need big muscles to steer a bicycle."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-15-23, 02:20 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Well, I wanted to climb like Pantani, so I started aping his method, which didn't get me climbing like Pantani, but it was remarkably better than anything else I'd tried. I'm the same height and so have similar bar drop, plus I use compact bars, so that opens it up a bit more. I don't know why he pointed his toes, but it does seem to help pedal turnover. Climbing in the drops rather than on the hoods also moves the hands back, which seems to produce better balance and less arm strain. The back of my thighs just brush the saddle nose and saddle's all the way back on a 30mm setback post. Hands on hoods moved my upper body too far forward, seemed biased toward weighting the bars.
I've found bullhorns to be greatly superior to any drop bar for climbing with my track bikes.
Old 02-15-23, 05:35 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
To be honest climbing out of the saddle in the drops "because Pantani did it and I think its cool" is a legitimate reason.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 02-15-23, 08:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've found bullhorns to be greatly superior to any drop bar for climbing with my track bikes.
Climbing on a track bike?
Old 02-16-23, 01:50 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Climbing on a track bike?
Why not?
Old 02-16-23, 07:00 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
To be honest climbing out of the saddle in the drops "because Pantani did it and I think its cool" is a legitimate reason.
I do it as well. It happens most of the time when I'm sprinting downhill or on the flat and there is a small hill that I want to pedal through without losing my speed.
Old 02-16-23, 12:37 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I utilize a few combination out-of-saddle techniques. Some include riding either the hoods or drops; a low/high gear and/or varying cadence OOS climb; different leg muscle activations switching position once one muscle group fatigues; an energy conservation OOS climb or a sprint OOS climb and a dancing climb from when I use to ride BMX bikes as a kid. Also I find smiling at the final section of a climb helps me get to the top!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-16-23, 01:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Why not?
Because it has no brakes for the return trip, but I’m hoping you meant fixed gear bike?
Old 02-16-23, 02:57 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Because it has no brakes for the return trip, but I’m hoping you meant fixed gear bike.
I see. I crave your indulgence for the following, likely of little interest to anyone but me.

The fork on my Felt TK-2 (sprint geometry, true track bike) has a fork drilled for a brake, which is why I chose it over the other aluminum track bikes available then.

MIA (stolen): 1983 Bianchi Eco Pista. I installed a short-rake chromed cro-mo road fork and a front brake. (I've held on to the celeste fork from the Eco Pista as a keepsake.) It was my favorite bike ever, until I bought my first aluminum bike.

That was and is my first-year-of-production Specialized Langster, which came with front and rear brakes and a flip-flop hub and has road racing geometry, so you've got me there.

Finally, when I bought a late-'60s Campy Record-equipped Peugeot track bike from a little old lady about 25 years ago (her late husband had bought it new when the two lived in France), it came set up with a rear Mafac brake that had been installed using Pletscher rack mounting hardware, exactly as I had done when I started racing a Helyett track bike in 1964, when I was 13.

[Edit: I misremembered. Had I bothered to walk into the next room to check before posting, I'd have seen that the Peugeot's Mafac brake was installed using a hole in the seat stay bridge, probably drilled for the husband at the shop where he bought the bike.]

Thinking about it, I raced the Helyett only once on the track. All my other races with the bike were on the road. At that time, the ABLA still allowed the use of a track bike in road racing, as long as the bike had at least one working brake.

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-16-23 at 03:23 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-16-23, 05:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Why not?
Because I weigh a little over 200# and don't really like to drop below 50 rpm?

But, you know, if you like it, that's great!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-16-23, 05:16 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I see. I crave your indulgence for the following, likely of little interest to anyone but me.

The fork on my Felt TK-2 (sprint geometry, true track bike) has a fork drilled for a brake, which is why I chose it over the other aluminum track bikes available then.

MIA (stolen): 1983 Bianchi Eco Pista. I installed a short-rake chromed cro-mo road fork and a front brake. (I've held on to the celeste fork from the Eco Pista as a keepsake.) It was my favorite bike ever, until I bought my first aluminum bike.

That was and is my first-year-of-production Specialized Langster, which came with front and rear brakes and a flip-flop hub and has road racing geometry, so you've got me there.
Got it. In my mind, the moment you put a brake on it, it stops being a “track bike” and becomes a “fixie”. My reasoning is they wouldn’t let you on the track (at least not for any mass start race) with the brake. But yeah, I get that the TK-2 is specifically designed to be a track bike and it is drilled for a brake, as was every track bike I ever owned.
Old 02-16-23, 05:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Back to the thread topic. Be fun someday to take an old, tired seat, cut a small hole in the leather, replace the padding with some slightly composted food, get worms to breed in it, then get that classic shot of the worm climbing out of the saddle.
Old 02-16-23, 10:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Back to the thread topic. Be fun someday to take an old, tired seat, cut a small hole in the leather, replace the padding with some slightly composted food, get worms to breed in it, then get that classic shot of the worm climbing out of the saddle.
uhhh, what?
Old 02-16-23, 10:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I put a stool next to my bike to help me climb into and out of the saddle .... getting old is no fun.
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.