Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I got humbled (again) today out at Red Rock

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 08:13 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 302 Posts

Once again, I had to go in to Vegas today so I took a bike. I took the Ridley TT bike because I'm trying to get used to that bike for my triathlons. Anyway, I've ridden highway 159 (Red Rock Canyon Rd) a couple dozen times. I have a solid 30 mile route mapped out that had some good ups and down.

Today, I thought I would try something different and rode the Red Rock Scenic Loop. Now, I've been through the scenic loop before, but by vehicle. Of course, the deceptive thing about being in a car is you don't quite get an appreciation for just how long and steep hills can be. After the entry gate at the loop it's 4.5 miles, almost entirely uphill. My map program shows a lot of 7-8% grade but there are a couple sections that are 12%. I hate to admit it, but I walked almost the last mile to the top. It was so long and steep. Just relentless. I hate walking. It's like admitting defeat. And at that point, I was defeated.

I think some of it is that the Ridley is just the wrong tool for that job. Because it is a TT bike, I only have two gears on the chain ring. I really could have used that extra low gear. Having said that, the reality is I'm just not as strong as I want to think I am. Especially going up a steep hill, carrying some extra weight sure isn't doing me any favors either.

Just for comparison, I might take my Roubiax out there next week and see if that extra gearing makes as much difference as I'm hoping.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 05-05-23, 09:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3966 Post(s)
Liked 7,383 Times in 2,971 Posts
You're going to be even more humbled when you find out that it averages less than 4.5% and maxes out at about 9%.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-05-23, 09:11 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You're going to be even more humbled when you find out that it averages less than 4.5% and maxes out at about 9%.
Why should I trust your source more than mine?
Old 05-05-23, 09:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7033 Post(s)
Liked 11,068 Times in 4,729 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Why should I trust your source more than mine?
See, there's this thing called the internet. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20471302

Looks like the section you're talking about averages about a 3.6% grade with a max of 9.4%.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-05-23 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-05-23, 09:35 PM
big john

Quoted: 8310 Post(s)
Liked 9,104 Times in 4,500 Posts
If you're going to be climbing you should figure out the low gear you might need. It doesn't have to be a triple up front. Until recently my double ring bike was geared lower than the one with the triple. Someone gave me a bigger cassette so now the triple is lower, but the point is my double ring bike is low enough for anything I do.

Modern compact doubles come lower still, mine is 12 years old and has a 34x29 low gear.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-05-23, 10:37 PM
VegasJen

Ya, I knew I was climbing, I just didn't realize how steep and for how long until I was already knee deep into it. But since this is my TT bike, I have been thinking of getting a second rear wheel with different gearing specifically for hilly routes like this. Some of these grades reminded me quite a bit of the Santa Barbara tri I did last fall, where I walked on that one too. But for a different reason at that time. I was using my Roubiax on that, and it has plenty of low gear for the inclines.
Old 05-05-23, 10:44 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,692 Posts
if you've done it, you know the "loop" ain't no joke with that first 4-5 miles consistently uphill at a decent clip. those first few miles are plenty to dissuade/demoralize cyclists that don't like suffering/climbing, aren't in shape for it or just don't have the legs that day. if you haven't done it, you should. super scenic with some great curves/stretches on the (mostly) flat/downhill, last ten miles. fwiw, hit 11.4% grade on the initial/main climb at the start. there's a small 13.6% and an 18.9% double slap on the second half as well. also, fwiw, find strava a bit more accurate than ridewithgps altho neither is perfect. having done it, no way in hades it maxes at 9.4%. this is coming from a guy that has actively sought out/still seeks ugly, double-digit grades.

https://www.strava.com/activities/60...63465362185392

tt bike is not the bike for that particular course.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-05-23 at 11:11 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-05-23, 11:12 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Once again, I had to go in to Vegas today so I took a bike. I took the Ridley TT bike because I'm trying to get used to that bike for my triathlons. Anyway, I've ridden highway 159 (Red Rock Canyon Rd) a couple dozen times. I have a solid 30 mile route mapped out that had some good ups and down.

Today, I thought I would try something different and rode the Red Rock Scenic Loop. Now, I've been through the scenic loop before, but by vehicle. Of course, the deceptive thing about being in a car is you don't quite get an appreciation for just how long and steep hills can be. After the entry gate at the loop it's 4.5 miles, almost entirely uphill. My map program shows a lot of 7-8% grade but there are a couple sections that are 12%. I hate to admit it, but I walked almost the last mile to the top. It was so long and steep. Just relentless. I hate walking. It's like admitting defeat. And at that point, I was defeated.

I think some of it is that the Ridley is just the wrong tool for that job. Because it is a TT bike, I only have two gears on the chain ring. I really could have used that extra low gear. Having said that, the reality is I'm just not as strong as I want to think I am. Especially going up a steep hill, carrying some extra weight sure isn't doing me any favors either.

Just for comparison, I might take my Roubiax out there next week and see if that extra gearing makes as much difference as I'm hoping.
take the roubaix out and it'll be a different experience.
Old 05-05-23, 11:37 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by diphthong
if you've done it, you know the "loop" ain't no joke with that first 4-5 miles consistently uphill at a decent clip. those first few miles are plenty to dissuade/demoralize cyclists that don't like suffering/climbing, aren't in shape for it or just don't have the legs that day. if you haven't done it, you should. super scenic with some great curves/stretches on the (mostly) flat/downhill, last ten miles. fwiw, hit 11.4% grade on the initial/main climb at the start. there's a small 13.6% and an 18.9% double slap on the second half as well. also, fwiw, find strava a bit more accurate than ridewithgps altho neither is perfect. having done it, no way in hades it maxes at 9.4%. this is coming from a guy that has actively sought out/still seeks ugly, double-digit grades.

Ya, I learned a lesson today. That first 5 miles are torture. I do expect either my Roubiax or K2 would be better for that leg. I'm not sure how much though. When I got off and walked it, I was only doing about 5.5mph anyway.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 05-05-23, 11:50 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
See, there's this thing called the internet. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20471302

Looks like the section you're talking about averages about a 3.6% grade with a max of 9.4%.
why do you guys insist on knocking her down? it almost seems like you take joy in it.
Old 05-05-23, 11:56 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by diphthong

agree with this. they can exaggerate in either direction but i think that is for lesser traveled routes. my understanding about strava is that they update their elevation map mostly from those riding with pressure sensors.
Old 05-06-23, 12:04 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by spelger
why do you guys insist on knocking her down? it almost seems like you take joy in it.
I was humbled when I was out sprinted by a young kid. I was more humbled when I found out he was only 11 years old. Get it?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-06-23, 12:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Ya, I learned a lesson today. That first 5 miles are torture. I do expect either my Roubiax or K2 would be better for that leg. I'm not sure how much though. When I got off and walked it, I was only doing about 5.5mph anyway.
you'll be fine with the bike change. definitely not leisurely but doable on a non-tt bike with decent gearing for hills. you'll want at least a 34-27 combo to negotiate. save the tt bike for hitting the west side of lake mead.
Old 05-06-23, 07:09 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
What's needed is an adequate low gear, not more chain rings. Triple cranks aren't common these days. I really like having a bike computer that tells me the grade of the road I'm climbing. I have grades in the 12-16% range, so I have a 46/30 crank and 10-36 12 speed cassette. The 30/36 does get used for seated climbing of the steepest sections. I use my big ring on grades up to 8%, if they're not too long. A 46/28 works for out of the saddle climbing.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 05-06-23, 07:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,516 Posts
I got humbled yesterday as well. I was driving down the road and "I Don't Need No Doctor" came on the radio. I turned it up and let er rip.
Old 05-06-23, 07:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7033 Post(s)
Liked 11,068 Times in 4,729 Posts
Reality is insulting?
Old 05-06-23, 07:57 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 948 Posts
When I figured out I can "rest" while still climbing with recovery, hills became a whole lot easier.
Good advice above about getting a proper climbing cassette like a 34 or 36 tooth cog so you can rest and recover then press on while still assaulting a long grade.
Find your cadence and gearing that keeps you out of the red.
Old 05-06-23, 08:50 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by Koyote
Reality is insulting?
no, reality is not insulting. but you are picking and choosing your reality. there are two links to that route in this thread. granted, you posted prior to the second's addition. the two sources show differing grades. and the second is backed up by someone who has done it. apparently not as easy as assumed. see post #7.
Old 05-06-23, 09:03 AM
tomato coupe

no, reality is not insulting. but you are picking and choosing your reality. there are two links to that route in this thread. granted, you posted prior to the second's addition. the two sources show differing grades. and the second is backed up by someone who has done it. apparently not as easy as assumed. see post #7.
According to PJAMM:
This 4.4 mile bike climb is located in NV, USA. The average gradient is 4.6% and there is a total elevation gain of 1,111 ft, finishing at 4,773 ft.

This climb averages 4.6%. The steepest quarter mile of this climb is 8.3% and steepest continuous mile is 7.4%.
0 miles of the climb is at or above 10% grade. The gradient on this climb is broken down as follows: 0.3 miles (7.6%) of descent; 1.7 miles (39.1%) at 0-5% grade; 2.3 miles (53.2%) at 5-10% grade
It shows the steepest, momentary grade to be 9.7%.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-06-23, 09:38 AM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

Just for comparison, I might take my Roubaix out there next week and see if that extra gearing makes as much difference as I'm hoping.
Tri bikes are built for flat riding, Your Roubaix has gears, If you're not a climber just use low gears and take it easy the first couple of times until you know what to expect. Walking up and average grade of 4.5% for 4.5 miles on a tri bike is not embarrassing and don't let some natural climber tell you it is. My memory of the Death Ride wasn't that the hills were so steep but that the altitude took all of the oxygen away. So it shot your endurance.
Old 05-06-23, 09:41 AM
RiceAWay

According to PJAMM:

It shows the steepest, momentary grade to be 9.7%.
And how do you suppose that was measured? I have a local climb that goes from 9 to 10 to 11 and finally 12% over 2 miles on my Garmin but someone measure it with a level at 14% at the very top.
Old 05-06-23, 09:47 AM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
What's needed is an adequate low gear, not more chain rings. Triple cranks aren't common these days. I really like having a bike computer that tells me the grade of the road I'm climbing. I have grades in the 12-16% range, so I have a 46/30 crank and 10-36 12 speed cassette. The 30/36 does get used for seated climbing of the steepest sections. I use my big ring on grades up to 8%, if they're not too long. A 46/28 works for out of the saddle climbing.
Campy Record had a maximum cog in the 10 speed of 28 teeth ( You could squeeze in a 29) so triples were really popular with sport riders in hill country. I would force myself to do these rides in a 39 tooth double and you did not improve by doing that. You only learned to suffer.
Old 05-06-23, 10:15 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 851 Posts
Ya, I knew I was climbing, I just didn't realize how steep and for how long until I was already knee deep into it. But since this is my TT bike, I have been thinking of getting a second rear wheel with different gearing specifically for hilly routes like this.
Back when I raced, we'd change out freewheels prior to an event depending on the course. Criteriums got the straight-block, while steep road races would use freewheels with insanely huge cogs as (gasp!) 24 teeth. Gearing choices are much saner now, and swapping out a cassette is even easier than swapping a freewheel, as long as you have the lockring tool and a chain whip. Just make sure the derailleurs and chain can handle the largest front / rear sprocket combination.
Old 05-06-23, 10:28 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 398 Posts
Happens to a lot of us. We think we are pretty good at it, until we enter a race.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-06-23, 10:44 AM
Jimriides
NotaNewbie

Bikes: Cannondale FSI - Cannondale R1000 - Firestone Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Up up up

I find a 10% grade incredibly difficult after miles of 6-8% grade. Especially if you double down and hit the lesser grade hard not knowing what is ahead. On the other hand after doing the Tram Road at Palm Springs many times and knowing it well, it is a pleasure to suffer up. Great job Op, keep on keepin’ on!
Likes For Jimriides:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.