Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you cancelled Strava and went back? Or did you find another option?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have you cancelled Strava and went back? Or did you find another option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-24, 11:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked 4,940 Times in 3,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
I signed up for an Intervals.icu account and have linked it to my TrainerDay account. After spending some time with the Intervals.icu interface it looks like I can tweak it for what I need. I'm also still looking at TrainingPeaks. Yes, it's more expensive, but it might be worth it. We'll see how it goes with the TrainerDay / Intervals.icu setup ad I'll revisit at the end of February.
Unless you intend to use Training Peaks plans, it will just duplicate what you already have with Intervals.icu and TrainerDay.

The Training Peaks UI is also a bit of a dog’s dinner (looks like someone’s homemade Excel spreadsheet). Although I haven’t used it for 2 years, so maybe it changed, but I doubt it. It’s still quite good for digging into your data, but the interface isn’t slick enough for the premium price. I’ve never been tempted to go back there.
Old 01-10-24, 11:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked 4,940 Times in 3,055 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm a user of Strava. Just not the paid version. I like it for keeping track of my yearly miles, miles on my bikes (for maintenance reasons), heart rate data and elevation data. Outside of that the premium features don't offer much that you can't get from Garmin Connect (FREE) or some other similar free app.

Instead of paying for an app once and being done with it (how things used to be) the developers have a found a way of scamming people into a subscription service (much like Cable TV or Satellite) and then every year or so they raise the price. App developers have discovered that subscriptions are much more profitable than one-time payments and they have discovered that many users are stupid enough to pay for subscriptions despite the huge long-term costs. It’s all about greed.
I didn’t realise I was stupid enough to fall for their scam. Got any other valuable tips for us stupid people?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-10-24, 12:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7043 Post(s)
Liked 11,087 Times in 4,737 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
...presumably, those that pay for the service don't view it as throwing money out the door.
You do understand that we as a society are not monolithic in what we enjoy or find valuable...right? Like that is something you know and understand...hopefully.
Instead of paying for an app once and being done with it (how things used to be) the developers have a found a way of scamming people into a subscription service (much like Cable TV or Satellite) and then every year or so they raise the price. App developers have discovered that subscriptions are much more profitable than one-time payments and they have discovered that many users are stupid enough to pay for subscriptions despite the huge long-term costs. It’s all about greed.
I think that's a "no" to your question, mstateglfr . He doesn't understand any of that.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-10-24, 12:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3971 Post(s)
Liked 7,388 Times in 2,974 Posts
People telling others how they should spend their money never gets old. There should be a sub forum dedicated to it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-10-24, 12:48 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 2,073 Times in 1,087 Posts
For me, the only benefit from paid Strava was the personal heatmap. RWGPS also shows my personal heatmap, and I prefer RWGPS for route creation. So I was getting little value from paid Strava.

There is value from the massive amount of data obtained from free users. It's obviously Strava's decision whether the value of that data is worth the cost of supporting the free users. Paid users don't have a say in that decision - it's a Strava business decision.

I expect product usage data, and data about end user behaviors is well worth the cost.
Old 01-10-24, 01:01 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Paid users don't have a say in that decision
Oh yes we do !!!

Strava ex-subscriber

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 01-10-24, 01:41 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Unless you intend to use Training Peaks plans, it will just duplicate what you already have with Intervals.icu and TrainerDay.

The Training Peaks UI is also a bit of a dog’s dinner (looks like someone’s homemade Excel spreadsheet). Although I haven’t used it for 2 years, so maybe it changed, but I doubt it. It’s still quite good for digging into your data, but the interface isn’t slick enough for the premium price. I’ve never been tempted to go back there.
Cool, thanks for the info. You just saved me some $. I suspect Intervals.icu will serve the intended purpose for basic ride and trend analysis.

The past few days I've been ill with a nasty head cold, so no riding for me. I've been spending time with the TrainerDay workout creator and am really liking it! Very intuitive and easy to use.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 01-10-24, 02:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. You just saved me some $. I suspect Intervals.icu will serve the intended purpose for basic ride and trend analysis.

The past few days I've been ill with a nasty head cold, so no riding for me. I've been spending time with the TrainerDay workout creator and am really liking it! Very intuitive and easy to use.
you could almost say that would have been money thrown out the door.
Old 01-10-24, 03:16 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

For creating workouts I use zwofactory.com and find it very simple to use.
Plus it will output in many different file formats.

Barry
Old 01-10-24, 05:05 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 330 Posts
^ I use ZWO Factory also. It's super user friendly and it's FREE! That means I have more money left over to throw out the door... 😂

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I wonder how many don't know what they are paying for? Some likely subscribe and have no idea what is in the free vs pay subscription. A few pay and don't really use it. It is easy to just let subscriptions accumulate. One reason I try to avoid them. I am much less hesitant to spring for one time fees or devices that come with a service included.
Probably a few. I had another glance at my list and there's a couple of subscribers on there who hardly upload any activities. Like you I try and avoid recuring subscriptions (hard to do completely these days) and keep tabs on the number that I do have.
Old 01-10-24, 09:16 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
No. I'm surprised that people actually pay for Strava. I ride with **** ton of bikers from road bikers, to mountain bikers to fat bikers...Not one person subscribes to Strava. But hey...that's the world we live in. People like throwing money out the door.
I suspect that the majority (80%?) of the people I ride with pay for strava. Most equipment aspects of road cycling are absurdly expensive, so I think it’s fitting that strava is also absurdly expensive
Old 01-10-24, 09:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
its only expensive if you don't perceive there to be any worth.
Old 01-10-24, 11:17 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Most equipment aspects of road cycling are absurdly expensive, so I think it’s fitting that strava is also absurdly expensive
$6.67 per month is absurdly expensive?
Old 01-11-24, 06:33 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Pricing for these apps is all over the place, with very little rhyme or reason as to why some apps are free (or close to free) and others are $10-$15 per month (on average).

With Strava the price has gone up without any improvement in features. I think it went from about $50 per year to $80 per year, which is a huge jump on a % basis. That's a tough pill for many to swallow when the site features basically remained unchanged. At $50 per year I think a lot of people were generally OK with the price-to-feature balance that was offered. At $80 per year the free version offers much better value.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 01-11-24, 07:15 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,602 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski

Thank you. just did 20 minutes of look-see and when my TP subscription runs out I'll move over to Intervals.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-11-24, 07:21 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Other than "Strava Metro" I perceive negative worth.

I only signed up to Strava when my city started using Strava data to make decisions on bike infrastructure. Then I found myself racing every ride and tried to stop paying attention to it.

Then they started charging for daily leaderboards and such and took away my access to them - which made Strava better.

I still have an account just as a data intermediary, but I rarely look at it. If they get rid of the free tier I'll find a different way to do anything I'm doing with Strava. I'm only there on inertia.
Old 01-11-24, 08:46 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
$6.67 per month is absurdly expensive?
it’s not the $6.67 (annual plan) I object to, but the excessive 30% increase from last year.
it seems to be a race between Strava and PG&E !

Barry
Old 01-11-24, 08:56 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2997 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 775 Posts

With Strava the price has gone up without any improvement in features. I think it went from about $50 per year to $80 per year, which is a huge jump on a % basis. That's a tough pill for many to swallow when the site features basically remained unchanged. At $50 per year I think a lot of people were generally OK with the price-to-feature balance that was offered. At $80 per year the free version offers much better value.
That's what I'm sayin' ^^^

If the price remains the same, which we know it won't, that would be $800 over a ten year period. But give it a couple years. Strava will be $90/year than a $100/year then...

It's been pretty stagnate for years. It would've been nice if it kinda "froze" in the 2015-2016 time frame, because that's when they didn't hide most normal features(like segment leader boards and ride analysis) behind their subscription. Not only that, there is disparity between the desktop app and the mobile app. Pathetic honestly. With a subscription based service you would expect evolution and new features. Features and improvements to make it worth the subscription and the increase in the subscription price. Otherwise it feels they are milking it until wheels fall off.
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-11-24, 10:26 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Barry2
it’s not the $6.67 (annual plan) I object to, but the excessive 30% increase from last year.
it seems to be a race between Strava and PG&E !
It was their first price increase in a decade, from $60 to $80 per year. Would you be happier if they had just increased the price $2/yr every year to get to the present price?
Old 01-11-24, 11:59 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

It was their first price increase in a decade, from $60 to $80 per year. Would you be happier if they had just increased the price $2/yr every year to get to the present price?
Yes, it’s called business management.
Not wait til the last min then bump 30% in a panic.

Maybe they need a new CEO, oh that’s right, they did get a new one in December 23

Barry
Old 01-11-24, 12:07 PM
tomato coupe

Yes, it’s called business management.
Not wait til the last min then bump 30% in a panic.
So, you would have been happier paying an extra $110 over the previous 10 years, while ending up at the same $80 per year rate today, in order to avoid one 30% jump? Good economics.
Old 01-11-24, 12:08 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3485 Post(s)
Liked 3,625 Times in 1,818 Posts
With Strava the price has gone up without any improvement in features. I think it went from about $50 per year to $80 per year, which is a huge jump on a % basis.
Pretty typical price change for the startup tech world. At some point in the life cycle of a startup, you transition from "grow as quickly as absolutely possible", to "oh no, now we have to become cash flow positive", often followed by "this business isn't growing fast enough, time to pull the plug".

Old 01-11-24, 12:26 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

So, you would have been happier paying an extra $110 over the previous 10 years, while ending up at the same $80 per year rate today, in order to avoid one 30% jump? Good economics.
$12

Barry
Old 01-11-24, 12:34 PM
tomato coupe

$12
No. If they had increased the price $2 per year every year for the past 10 years, you would have paid an additional $110.
Old 01-11-24, 12:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7043 Post(s)
Liked 11,087 Times in 4,737 Posts
I think it's time we let this thread wind down. Then we can get back to the truly important topics -- like whether those $100+ name-brand jerseys are a waste of money, or whether anyone really needs a bike that costs over $2000 (or $3000, or whatever the OP's personal threshold might be), or whether a cycle computer is a waste of money given that you can just attach a phone to your handlebar, or...or...or...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.