Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

GPS based apps or odometer?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 10:16 AM
groverdill

Bikes: Giant Iguana, Cannondale hybrid, Trek Beach Cruiser, Vintage Sears Cruiser(restored by me!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I use the free version of Strava to document miles ridden. Don’t pay attention to elevation, time, or anything else. But several times when I look at the screen it has stopped recording. I know about the auto pause feature, but it’s happened during a ride when I haven’t stopped as well. Frustrating. So I’m considering getting a bike mounted odometer, hoping that would be more reliable. Anyone have experience with those?

Mike
Old 02-28-24, 10:31 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
They work just fine for distance and speed.
Especially so if it offers a custom tire diameter and you take the time to calibrate them accurately.

Wired versions have only one battery to maintain.
Wireless versions have an additional battery in the sensor(s),

Barry

Edit: Cateye has three wired options.

Last edited by Barry2; 02-28-24 at 10:34 AM.
Likes For Barry2:
Old 02-28-24, 10:41 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I'm worried that GPS is vulnerable to electro-magnetic disruptions/satellite attacks/etc; thereby, interfering with my cycling & fitness statistics. Odometer, and I do a roll-out every day for calibration accuracy, after filling tires to properly recommended pressure.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-28-24 at 10:45 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-28-24, 10:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I'm worried that GPS is vulnerable to electro-magnetic disruptions; thereby, interfering with my cycling & fitness statistics. Odometer, and I do a roll-out every day for calibration accuracy, after filling tires to properly recommended pressure.
Unwarranted concern, and wasted effort. Technology has addressed both of these problems.

Most GPS bike computers will also take speed and distance readings from a wheel sensor. The well sensor reading is a "back up" for when the GPS signal drops out.

The Garmin unit will auto-calibrate the speed/distance sensor by comparing it to GPS readings.

Old 02-28-24, 10:52 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by groverdill
I use the free version of Strava to document miles ridden. Don’t pay attention to elevation, time, or anything else. But several times when I look at the screen it has stopped recording. I know about the auto pause feature, but it’s happened during a ride when I haven’t stopped as well. Frustrating. So I’m considering getting a bike mounted odometer, hoping that would be more reliable.
Have you first tried other apps (e.g., RideWithGPS or Wahoo) or another device (e.g., another phone, smart watch)?
Old 02-28-24, 11:03 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Sounds to me like he wants something simple and cheap (since he uses free Strava) - like a Cateye - with a magnet attached to the spokes and a sensor attached to the fork. Old skool but it’s simplicity at its best?

https://www.amazon.com/CAT-EYE-Compu...s%2C175&sr=8-7

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-28-24, 11:30 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Unwarranted concern, and wasted effort. Technology has addressed both of these problems.

Most GPS bike computers will also take speed and distance readings from a wheel sensor. The well sensor reading is a "back up" for when the GPS signal drops out.

The Garmin unit will auto-calibrate the speed/distance sensor by comparing it to GPS readings.

Clear your handlebars and your mind will may follow.
Old 02-28-24, 11:38 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
After attaching a baseball card to the seat stay, I simply count the clicks, divide by the number of spokes on the wheel, then multiply by the circumference of the tire, expressed in miles. I was pretty sad when Derek Jeter's head ripped off.
Old 02-28-24, 11:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
After attaching a baseball card to the seat stay, I simply count the clicks, divide by the number of spokes on the wheel, then multiply by the circumference of the tire, expressed in miles. I was pretty sad when Derek Jeter's head ripped off.
You can’t be serious! Losing Derek Jeter’s head is a tragedy wrapped in a turduckin.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-28-24, 11:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If it's not spotty gps coverage or auto-pause, then look for settings on your phone that control battery optimization and when a app gets put to sleep. It might be putting your app to sleep or not providing it un-fettered use of the GPS. There are several of those settings or permissions that might interfere.
Old 02-28-24, 11:55 AM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Use both

i have a wireless Sigma computer with odometer and cadence along with other things. I also have Ride with GPS and just record my rides with it. Activate it and throw it in my jersey pocket.
Old 02-28-24, 02:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
cyclemeter. free.
Old 02-28-24, 02:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I use the open source app "Open Tracks"
https://opentracksapp.com/
Old 02-28-24, 03:37 PM
I.B.Roots
Bike Noob

Bikes: Kona, Salsa(s)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
RidewithGPS told us that sometimes, speed gets out of whack due to GPS unit not being able to keep up and/or overhead obstructions. Inexpensive old school magnet style sensor works great but new GPS/GNSS is bomb proof!
Old 02-28-24, 03:53 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Is anyone shocked that a GPS based speed/distance sensing element will lose lock with the Sattelites occasionally? Top of the line Garmin GPS (automotive) lose connections during severe weather and in when certain kinds of infrastructure are around. I've had any number of Sigma and Cateye 'computers' and they really don't warrant much discussion. No point getting too specific because what I tell you to get may not even exist. Just look for 'wired/wireless bicycle speedometer/odometer' at your favorite LBS (or on Universal Cycles online) and make a selection from the small amount of units on offer.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-28-24, 04:01 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
had a wired specialized branded bike computer. occasionally on rides speed would shoot up to the moon and back. i found that if i moved it near some EM interference it would do it. i assume passing cars were the culprit. wired configurations don't solve all those GPS problems.
Old 02-28-24, 04:04 PM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
This is my own anecdote but if if I'm looking to get as accurate as possible data for speed, I don't think anything is better than a separate sensor. There's always a slight delay in the GPS signal and more accurate when riding at a slower pace.

I can't imagine not having a gps bike computer. It's such a great tool. I wouldn't want to use up phone battery while riding. It has enough to do.
Old 02-28-24, 04:44 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I use MapMyRide.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 02-28-24, 05:18 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Is anyone shocked that a GPS based speed/distance sensing element will lose lock with the Sattelites occasionally? Top of the line Garmin GPS (automotive) lose connections during severe weather and in when certain kinds of infrastructure are around. I've had any number of Sigma and Cateye 'computers' and they really don't warrant much discussion. No point getting too specific because what I tell you to get may not even exist. Just look for 'wired/wireless bicycle speedometer/odometer' at your favorite LBS (or on Universal Cycles online) and make a selection from the small amount of units on offer.
Also note the number of models available is decreasing. So instead of $30-40, buy two and you'll have a spare when the simple computer gives up the ghost in another 10 years. Compare that to 4-5 year life for a $500 GPS...
Old 02-28-24, 08:13 PM
groverdill

Bikes: Giant Iguana, Cannondale hybrid, Trek Beach Cruiser, Vintage Sears Cruiser(restored by me!)

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
One thing I'll add, now that I've gotten some feedback on odometers. I keep my phone in my pocket. Could this be the reason for the lapse in Strava keeping its accuracy? Maybe I'll buy a bar mount for my phone and see if that helps. That will allow me to monitor the screen more consistently.

Mike

Last edited by groverdill; 02-29-24 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-28-24, 09:09 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I've used Sigma for 20 years, never been disappointed. It's as accurate as you set it. I try to allow for wiggle, that I do lots of. So the mile is the road distance within 20 or 30 feet. There used to be places on the highway to set your odo, but then I need to convert km to miles I still only use.
Never once deviated from interference. I have zero faith in pure GPS to be anywhere near. My 14.12 altimeter is just a toy too tho.
One day I used free Map my Ride on my home computer, mostly dead straight highway. I dotted out a route I had ridden. MMR kept saying something 7 miles off, like it was programmed to some other route. WTH.
Bontrager only records one decimal, useless.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-28-24 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-28-24, 09:29 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
One thing I'll add, now that I've gotten some feedback on odometers. I keep my phone on my pocket. Could this be the reason for the lapse in Strava keeping it's accuracy? Maybe I'll buy a bar mount for my phone and see if that helps. That will allow me to monitor the screen more consistently.

Mike
I think I probably have 15,000 miles with phone cycling apps, and other than going through tunnels or occasionally between densely spaced extremely tall buildings (Manhattan, San Francisco) I have not seen any significant GPS errors. I have used rideWithGPS, cycleMeter, and Cadence in addition to a few manufacturer specific ones, and I like cadence the best. The free version is excellent, as is the free version of rideWithGPS. if you pay, you can also add sensors etc.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 02-28-24, 11:01 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
One thing I'll add, now that I've gotten some feedback on odometers. I keep my phone on my pocket. Could this be the reason for the lapse in Strava keeping it's accuracy? Maybe I'll buy a bar mount for my phone and see if that helps. That will allow me to monitor the screen more consistently.

Mike
45,000 miles Strava history for me. Mounted on my stem with a Quad Loc.
I hang a rechargeable battery off my bar, with a cable to keep my iPhone fully charged for 4 hours plus.
Screen on the entire time, which I absolutely love. Allows me to view and send brief texts sometimes.(Home in ten minutes, honey!)
I used both free and pay Strava, preferring the features of the pay version. $60 per year, I think.
In all these years, my phone "malfunctioned" a few times when my sweat or water bottle splashed on the screen.
The only other goof occurs when I manually stop it (long coffee stops and such) and forget to restart it. Works great 99.9% of the time for me.
For my first 5k miles or so, I used a wired Sigma cyclecomputer. Mostly out of years of habit. lol
Old 02-29-24, 09:00 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
I use the odometer on a bike computer. Be warned, mine is a wireless bike computer. A year or so ago working late, I moved my bike to the door nearest where I was working, to save time when leaving. The bike logged 80 miles without going anywhere. The work wireless was causing it.

That said, Strava has always been weird for me. Usually 1-2% higher than my computer. Part of that is my fault. My phone is in my pocket and logs my steps walking around during a stop. Easier to rely on the computer for miles ridden.
Old 02-29-24, 09:23 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I use Ride with GPS on my phone that sits in my saddle bag, along with a basic Cateye Padrone computer.

The Padrone has a bit larger display, which works well for my aging eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.