Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Tacx Bike Smart Questions

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-22, 01:50 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts

I'll be moving to a Tacx Bike smart, and have a couple of quesitons:

Why would you need a bike computer for an indoor trainer?

Cam you use the Apple watch to track pulse rate when using zwift?
Old 02-06-22, 02:57 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,857 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree

You don't need a bike computer for indoor training, especially not with a smart bike.

I don't think Apple broadcasts HR via the usual standard protocols, so I think it's a no on that one. I use a Polar OH1 armband HRM with Zwift etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-07-22, 12:02 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Apple Watch will track HR itself if you activate a workout logging session on the watch. Pete, above, is correct, the Apple Watch does not broadcast. Generally, folks use a separate sensor for integrating HR data into ride data for viewing on Strava or Garmin Connect or some other aggregating site. I use a Wahoo Tickr-X on the bike, in parallel to the Apple Watch.
Old 02-07-22, 01:22 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree

No need for the computer, but I have heard of some running the bike computer in parallel and using it to upload non-duplicative data (on bike power meter for L/R power or avg watts, for example) somewhere other than where Zwift data is sent.

Basically its more advanced stuff. I dnot bother with it.
Likes For force10:
Old 02-08-22, 05:37 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by force10
No need for the computer, but I have heard of some running the bike computer in parallel and using it to upload non-duplicative data (on bike power meter for L/R power or avg watts, for example) somewhere other than where Zwift data is sent.

Basically its more advanced stuff. I dnot bother with it.
If you were using an outdoor bike with its own power meter on a smart trainer then you might log the bike's power meter on a Garmin (or whatever head unit) in parallel to the trainer's own power data recorded directly by Zwift. I've done that myself to compare indoor vs outdoor power measurement. But if using a complete smart bike then a separate bike computer is then totally redundant unless you were planning to use the head unit to actually control the smart bike instead of a pc/tablet/smart phone. Not much point in that really with a dedicated indoor setup.
Old 02-09-22, 12:27 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Here's my example from the "not much point in that really" club (what PeteHski says is correct, but I do it anyway).
Channel 1: Wahoo Kickr Core talking to Zwift running on iPad (very current model). Zwift keeps all performance data, exports to Strava for "aggregation"
Channel 2: Wahoo Kickr Core talking to Garmin 130 plus head unit. Gives me more in-ride data, like average watts and total work. Garmin also used for outside riding with Garmin Rally SPD power meter pedal. Both indoor and outdoor on Garmin Connect, auto export to Strava for consolidation.
Channel 3: Apple watch records independently, just for seeing total daily stuff, includes couple miles of walking each day.
Not cycling: Also use logging software for Concept2 rowing machine, goes to Strava for consolidation.
Too complex? Took a little while to figure out if I cared about all that, but now it's seemless/frictionless. sometimes, not always, have duplicate entries from Zwift and Garmin Connect to clean up, but other wise quite easy. Hop on, flip on the powerstrip, start Garmin, start Zwift, start watch, ride. Just a numbers geek at heart. Alas.

Last edited by blacknbluebikes; 02-09-22 at 12:27 PM. Reason: tpyos
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-10-22, 05:44 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Here's my example from the "not much point in that really" club (what PeteHski says is correct, but I do it anyway).
Channel 1: Wahoo Kickr Core talking to Zwift running on iPad (very current model). Zwift keeps all performance data, exports to Strava for "aggregation"
Channel 2: Wahoo Kickr Core talking to Garmin 130 plus head unit. Gives me more in-ride data, like average watts and total work. Garmin also used for outside riding with Garmin Rally SPD power meter pedal. Both indoor and outdoor on Garmin Connect, auto export to Strava for consolidation.
Channel 3: Apple watch records independently, just for seeing total daily stuff, includes couple miles of walking each day.
Not cycling: Also use logging software for Concept2 rowing machine, goes to Strava for consolidation.
Too complex? Took a little while to figure out if I cared about all that, but now it's seemless/frictionless. sometimes, not always, have duplicate entries from Zwift and Garmin Connect to clean up, but other wise quite easy. Hop on, flip on the powerstrip, start Garmin, start Zwift, start watch, ride. Just a numbers geek at heart. Alas.
If you are riding outside a Garmin makes a lot of sense and then also using it indoors for an additional in-ride "stats" page is an easy thing to do if you can be bothered. But if you are only riding indoors with a full bells-and-whistles smart bike then a Garmin head unit would be a waste of money unless live average Zwift wattage was considered vital. Just to clarify for the OP, Zwift doesn't currently display your running average power during a ride.
Old 02-15-22, 05:03 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you are riding outside a Garmin makes a lot of sense and then also using it indoors for an additional in-ride "stats" page is an easy thing to do if you can be bothered. But if you are only riding indoors with a full bells-and-whistles smart bike then a Garmin head unit would be a waste of money unless live average Zwift wattage was considered vital. Just to clarify for the OP, Zwift doesn't currently display your running average power during a ride.
I'll be indoors only, and I don't care about a running average on power, so...

I'll pass on a bike computer.
Likes For dmanthree: