Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wind

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 04:35 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
They ate saying 25mph wind with gusts 30-40mph.
I staying inside.
Old 03-29-24, 06:21 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
I live between two large bays and not too far from the ocean. My riding is typically on a canal path that connects the two bays - wind is a fact of every day life. Either a full on headwind/tailwind situation, or if the wind is out of the ESE and coming up the bays - I get a headwind both directions depending on where I am on the path.

And the wind gets funneled into the canal by the levees and seems to accelerate.

Wind is almost always there - a constant. If I didn't ride in 25+mph winds, I would hardly ride ever. Anything with gusts over 40 would be my cutoff point.
Old 03-29-24, 08:13 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
For sure blown debris is a big risk to your vision.
Perhaps consider using goggles in these conditions.
Bigger shades in general help protect eyes better especially when there are lots of bugs out.
I hate getting bugs in my eyes when riding and carry eye drops incase needed.
I am not as concerned about getting dust in my eyes as I am getting impaled by flying roof shingles. Yes, I have seen those come off old barns several times. Plus, it's not fun. Mainly, it's not fun.
Likes For bblair:
Old 03-29-24, 05:33 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
How windy is too windy? I’m still trying to get into some kind of training and this time of year can get gusty. When do y’all just call it off?
This Friday wind will be 25-35mph here in N Texas.
Sustained winds of 25 mph or above or gusts over 30 mph, and I’ll probably run instead of cycle. And even then, I will go to an indoor tack or run down into lower MUP paths that are mostly shielded from wind by surrounding hills.

OTOH, I’m a fan of winds in the 10-15 mph range. I ride single speed bikes. Wind helps mix up the workload on a flatter route. YMMV.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 03-29-24, 06:07 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by ofajen
Sustained winds of 25 mph or above or gusts over 30 mph, and I’ll probably run instead of cycle. And even then, I will go to an indoor tack or run down into lower MUP paths that are mostly shielded from wind by surrounding hills.

OTOH, I’m a fan of winds in the 10-15 mph range. I ride single speed bikes. Wind helps mix up the workload on a flatter route. YMMV.

Otto
10-15mph is no problem. Today I just went to the gym.
Old 03-29-24, 06:44 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
10-15mph is no problem. Today I just went to the gym.

I don't blame you. It was really gusting from the south. I sat on the porch for a while and watched water being blown over the rim of the bird bath in my back yard.
I decided to just do yard work all day.
Likes For missinglink:
Old 03-29-24, 07:38 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by missinglink
I don't blame you. It was really gusting from the south. I sat on the porch for a while and watched water being blown over the rim of the bird bath in my back yard.
I decided to just do yard work all day.
I will be on my bike somewhere tomorrow. It's supposed to be really nice.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 03-29-24, 09:12 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
With a lot of modern bikes some consideration might need to be taken for the wheels but I'll tolerate 30mph winds on the local path. The kid and I went out one time where we were doing ok with our 27mm and 34mm deep rims although you could feel the wind trying to push them a bit but the pair that were trying to train on their Tri bikes were seriously struggling and we watched them get knocked off the path. And my steel frame might not be too aero efficient for racing but it also shrugs off real cross winds that could catch something with flatter profiles.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-30-24, 03:47 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I live in south coastal Delaware, 5 miles from the Atlantic. We have a lot of wind. I usually do not ride once it hits sustained 20 mph, or so, and gusting comes into play. I tried a ride a few days ago, sustained 16 -22 mph and gusts to 50. I made it about 3 miles before a couple gusts and wind blown stuff convinced me to go back to riding my recliner. It was a better choice.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-30-24, 07:18 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
This Friday wind will be 25-35mph here in N Texas.
Not pleasant, be it steady or gusts, just no. In my 70s I value my rides and enjoy them immensely.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 03-30-24, 08:11 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
National Weather Service

https://www.weather.gov/safety/wind-...n%20California.

Santa Ana Winds occur when air from a region of high pressure over the dry, desert region of the southwestern U.S. flows westward towards low pressure located off the California coast. This creates dry winds that flow east to west through the mountain passages in Southern California. These winds are most common during the cooler months of the year, occurring from September through May. Santa Ana winds typically feel warm (or even hot) because as the cool desert air moves down the side of the mountain, it is compressed, which causes the temperature of the air to rise. These strong winds can cause major property damage. They also increase wildfire risk because of the dryness of the winds and the speed at which they can spread a flame across the landscape.

This means there’s “junk” in the air and breathing it is not healthy. Even if its not Santa Ana wind condition, there’s plenty of road debris that gets kicked up and a rider will be getting some of that in the lungs. Long term effect? Take a guess.
Possible Probable Persuasive
Old 03-30-24, 09:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Depends on which way the wind is blowing. If it is going my way, there is no wind too fast for riding. If I have to ride into it, there is no wind that is low enough

I’ve ridden into 80 mph gusts and with 80 mph gusts. I’d rather ride with them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-24, 12:14 PM
cyclomath

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I resent every kind of wind, regardless of its direction. The only one I like is the summer breeze, especially when I am climbing a steep hill through a dead air side of the mountain and then, suddenly, an open space appears and I feel the breeze.... man!
Likes For cyclomath:
Old 03-30-24, 08:32 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I ride mostly in the Puente Hills in SoCal and it is sheltered for the most part when the Santa Ana winds kick up. It is the Santa Anas with the heat and low humidity that are insufferable when unsheltered on the riverbed MUPS.

Only thing that I try to avoid are the Dust Devils that can raise havoc with debris getting into your eyes but they are rare.
Old 03-30-24, 11:35 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I try to avoid anything over 10+ MPH. Usually I can do this just by timing my ride during the day. I'll tolerate more wind for shorter rides, or interval sessions. I'm not slogging into the 15+ MPH headwind for half of a 50-mile out and back.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 04-10-24, 04:20 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Gust today hit 52mph. Tree limbs down all over town.
Old 04-13-24, 05:51 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
How windy is too windy?
~20mph sustained, give or take. Once was, I often was out in much stronger winds, but not these days.

I try to view it this way: similar to, say, snow, ice or water on a road, wind can be a good "test" for what a person's capable of accomplishing in such conditions, but at much lower speeds than would otherwise be the case.

And so, as a new motor vehicle driver I often went out in inclement weather to "push" things at low speeds on empty parking lots, old unused roads and the like, to help me learn about how such ice/snow/rain would impact grip. Similarly, as a cyclist, I try to view wind as merely a way for nature to challenge my cycling strength and determination at lower speeds than I'd anticipated. With that, I can still drive/bike with a smile, and still get loads out of a given drive or ride ... harder though cycling on a windy day might be, more-challenging tire grip can be in a car on ugly surfaces. Either way, I learn some, improve the skills, and still get to where I'm going.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-13-24, 08:37 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
~20mph sustained, give or take. Once was, I often was out in much stronger winds, but not these days.

I try to view it this way: similar to, say, snow, ice or water on a road, wind can be a good "test" for what a person's capable of accomplishing in such conditions, but at much lower speeds than would otherwise be the case.

And so, as a new motor vehicle driver I often went out in inclement weather to "push" things at low speeds on empty parking lots, old unused roads and the like, to help me learn about how such ice/snow/rain would impact grip. Similarly, as a cyclist, I try to view wind as merely a way for nature to challenge my cycling strength and determination at lower speeds than I'd anticipated. With that, I can still drive/bike with a smile, and still get loads out of a given drive or ride ... harder though cycling on a windy day might be, more-challenging tire grip can be in a car on ugly surfaces. Either way, I learn some, improve the skills, and still get to where I'm going.
I rode a trail by the Trinity River yesterday. Half was against a 17mph wind. It kicked my butt espwcially the inclines. I need to find a trail that isn’t directly into the wind.
Old 04-13-24, 01:30 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I’ve had some success with weather apps that give wind directions by the hour and then plan a route accordingly to avoid headwinds (as much as I can) given the known reliability of any given weather forecast this works ok. At least I can get in some riding.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 04-13-24, 01:36 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I’ve had some success with weather apps that give wind directions by the hour and then plan a route accordingly to avoid headwinds (as much as I can) given the known reliability of any given weather forecast this works ok. At least I can get in some riding.
Here in north Texas the wind comes out of the south to southwest. I need a route running east to west. Today I am staying out of it. 25mph with gusts over 30mph.
Old 04-13-24, 06:22 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

not a fan of wind

will still often ride on windy days - but typically will select certain areas / trails where the wind is less of an issue

Last edited by t2p; 04-13-24 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-13-24, 06:39 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

I’ve ridden into 80 mph gusts and with 80 mph gusts. I’d rather ride with them.
Wow, that’s Hurricane strength gusts right there! So riding in conditions like this then?

Old 04-13-24, 06:39 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by t2p

not a fan of wind

will still often ride on windy days - but typically will select certain areas / trails where the wind is less of an issue
That looks great!
Old 04-13-24, 06:40 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Before deciding to go out and ride when it's windy, check out how much power you'll need to maintain 17 mph into a headwind on a road bike, in the drops:

Old 04-13-24, 06:49 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

The forecast for tomorrow is 10-20mph. It was the same today but the treetops were really whipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.