Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Frozen cable housing caps stuck in frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 12:17 AM
vintagerando

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

I have several cable housing caps ( and barrel adjusters) frozen in the braze-on cable guides. What is the best way to remove these? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cable stop 01.jpg (66.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg
cable stop 02.jpg (43.3 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by vintagerando; 01-04-16 at 12:17 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-04-16, 01:18 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,480 Times in 1,911 Posts
Long soak in a penetrating oil, ie. Kroil, PB blaster, etc, then some brute force. The ferrule will eject pretty easily (after the soak, with a hammer and screw driver modified to fit through the slot. The threaded barrel may snap as you try to unscrew it. Then you can try drilling and retapping, or simply drilling and using a barrel with a locknut acting as a screw jack.

Ideally you don't want to break parts off and make life complicated, so you need to combine brute force with a=some touch or finesse, and don't forget the LONG soak in oil first.

BTW- I guess you decided to keep it. (referencing your other post about the same frame)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-04-16, 03:28 AM
mark2810
Mechanic and Enthusiast

Bikes: 1995 Fuji Roubaix- 25th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Bianchi Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't gotten it out, I would use some joint pliers.. particularly the ones in which the beak is shaped like an L. Grab ahold of that sucker and twist it out man.
Old 01-04-16, 07:57 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Liked 676 Times in 463 Posts
I have had luck with Easy Out tools: Craftsman.com
Old 01-04-16, 08:36 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,101 Times in 729 Posts
As mentioned already give the penetrating oil plenty of time to work. I'd clean as much of the corrosion off of the exposed adjuster threads as possible so that you are not dragging it into the frame threads as you back it out. If you end having to drill out that barrel adjuster left-hand drills may be helpful: Left Hand Drill Bit Set 13 Pc You could use regular drills from the back side but it looks like clearance is tight there.

I would look into those rust bubbles at the head tube lugs.
Old 01-11-16, 09:09 PM
vintagerando

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
As mentioned already give the penetrating oil plenty of time to work. I'd clean as much of the corrosion off of the exposed adjuster threads as possible so that you are not dragging it into the frame threads as you back it out. If you end having to drill out that barrel adjuster left-hand drills may be helpful: Left Hand Drill Bit Set 13 Pc You could use regular drills from the back side but it looks like clearance is tight there.

I would look into those rust bubbles at the head tube lugs.
The Left Hand drill bit will not grab anything. Don't know what I am doing wrong, but it didn't work
Old 01-12-16, 05:15 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,101 Times in 729 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
The Left Hand drill bit will not grab anything. Don't know what I am doing wrong, but it didn't work
You are using the drill in reverse, (counterclockwise) right? Pull out the wire strands, one by one if necessary, and start with a drill only slightly larger than the bore of the adjuster. Then work your way up in size. At some point it should back out while being drilled, or you will have drilled out most of the metal and can get the rest out with a tap. If you cannot get the strands out then try fanning them out evenly and starting a small bit in the center of the bundle.
Old 01-13-16, 07:30 PM
NukeouT

Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sometimes it works to take a small strong object like a spoke and push in through the hole on the underside, otherwise grab it with some pliers and grab the pliers with a towel or something that gives you plenty leverage