Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Newbie needing advice

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Newbie needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 11:42 PM
lordbaldric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie needing advice

Hi there. I'm new to the forums and am about to buy a new bike from the LBS in the next couple weeks, and have a couple questions.

The bike shop sells Trek bikes and after doing some research I'm considering a DS 8.3, FX 7.3, Verve 3 or Marlin 6.

First question: It seems like disc breaks are more effective(?), but are they a maintenance hassle. I'd be fine with traditional rim breaks if the disc ones are a pain. Or are mechanical/hydraulic disc breaks different in this area?

Second question: I've read some people say that entry level shock absorbing forks are pretty worthless. If that's the case, maybe better to get rigid forks and save the weight? Replace the standard FX tires with a little more robust ones to absorb a little more shock?

I will be riding on streets and sidewalks mostly, but don't want a full blown road bike because of broken pavement, curbs, the occasional tree root, etc. Would also like a some versatility in case I ever ride on some unpaved trails. This probably makes a MTB way overkill.

Anyway, I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.
Old 06-25-16, 12:22 AM
katsup

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter,, Ritchey Ultra, Cotic SolarisMax, Salsa La Cruz

Liked 567 Times in 322 Posts
My Suggestions (top to bottom for priority)

1. FX 7.3 - Fitness feel. The 35mm tires should be smooth, not sure how much larger you'd want.
2. DS 8.3 - Also good, but the suspension will add weight and likely overkill for your uses.
3. Verve 3 - Has a more upright ride, some people like it, some don't. My dad rides and enjoys this bike the most.
4. Marlin 6 - Overkill for your use and you'll be cussing the wide tires when on pavement.
Old 06-25-16, 12:39 AM
lordbaldric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
My Suggestions (top to bottom for priority)

1. FX 7.3 - Fitness feel. The 35mm tires should be smooth, not sure how much larger you'd want.
2. DS 8.3 - Also good, but the suspension will add weight and likely overkill for your uses.
3. Verve 3 - Has a more upright ride, some people like it, some don't. My dad rides and enjoys this bike the most.
4. Marlin 6 - Overkill for your use and you'll be cussing the wide tires when on pavement.
Thanks Katsup for the advice! I think I'll test ride the FX, DS and Verve then. My previous bikes were crappier than these and all had solid forks. Over bumpy stretches I just stood up on the peddles and let my knees & legs absorb the shock. Do you have any advice about the different break types though?
Old 06-25-16, 08:41 AM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FX. Hands down. Keep it light and simple. If the tires seem too big, throw some 28s or 32s on there. I personally ride 28s on my Sirrus Sport.
Old 06-25-16, 09:20 AM
katsup

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter,, Ritchey Ultra, Cotic SolarisMax, Salsa La Cruz

Liked 567 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by lordbaldric
Do you have any advice about the different break types though?
I have caliber brakes on my hybrid and disk brakes on my mountain bike. I prefer caliber brakes on the hybrid as they are simple and stop fine on pavement. However, it is really personal preference, the FX that has disk brakes is called the Allant I believe.
Old 06-26-16, 02:44 AM
jfk22

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, which I think is comparable to the DS (Not trying to pick a fight with anyone). I got it because I pictured myself spending more time in the dirt than I do. With that being said I do love this bike for the road with skinnier tires 38's. I'm not the most fit person out there but I don't notice the extra weight of the suspension. I like having it when the roads get rough, and I can switch it off for paved assents (they feel weird when you stand up and/or really pedal). As for the disc brakes I love them. To me they take a little longer to work on but you don't have to mess with them as much and the performance is amazing. So in conclusion, maybe a more road oriented bike, suspension is nice but not required, and disc brakes are a super "GO". IMHO
Old 06-28-16, 10:25 AM
Craptacular8

Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Hi there. I'm new to the forums and am about to buy a new bike from the LBS in the next couple weeks, and have a couple questions.

The bike shop sells Trek bikes and after doing some research I'm considering a DS 8.3, FX 7.3, Verve 3 or Marlin 6.

First question: It seems like disc breaks are more effective(?), but are they a maintenance hassle. I'd be fine with traditional rim breaks if the disc ones are a pain. Or are mechanical/hydraulic disc breaks different in this area?

Second question: I've read some people say that entry level shock absorbing forks are pretty worthless. If that's the case, maybe better to get rigid forks and save the weight? Replace the standard FX tires with a little more robust ones to absorb a little more shock?

I will be riding on streets and sidewalks mostly, but don't want a full blown road bike because of broken pavement, curbs, the occasional tree root, etc. Would also like a some versatility in case I ever ride on some unpaved trails. This probably makes a MTB way overkill.

Have a new Trek Fx. Skip the suspension unless the unpaved trails you're talking about lean more towards single track than fire road. I use the Fx primarily for gravel rides which are typically worked deep and though I try to miss some of the chunkier rock, it sees 2" rock as well. No trouble with either the stock tires (run at lower pressure, though could go faster if I switched to Challenge Gravel Grinders, as the stock tires tend to fishtail) crossing rr tracks, etc.
I don't own a bike with disc brakes, but have done several test rides on bikes equipped with them. I was expecting them to feel more grabby like the v brakes on my gary fisher...but they didn't feel like they had that kind of grab. So, I'm fine with cantilever brakes.
Old 06-28-16, 02:17 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Liked 1,056 Times in 515 Posts

1) I've ridden offroad with cantilevers, u-brakes, v-brakes, cable discs, and hydraulic discs - each one for several years and fairly roughly. By far, hydraulic discs require less maintenance over the others. New pads are the easiest of all to replace save for parallel push cartridge V's. The most complex task is purging the air from the lines once a yearish- its not more difficult than recabling the brakes. Just like you need special tools to cut cables, you need special tools to bleed brakes. Adjusting for pad wear is where brakes need adjusting the most; for some it is critical, like on U-brakes. This is where hydros shine, as they don't ever need adjusting for pad wear. Once set up, hydraulic discs require the least maintenance of the systems previously listed. A close second would be parallel V brakes

2) Suspension requires damping and adjustability to work properly and low end forks are devoid of such complexities. Stick to rigid. Many people ride offroad on full rigid bikes. For comfort, look first to tires
Old 06-28-16, 06:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

In that case no suspension necessary. Nor do you need disc brakes which primarily come into good use during adverse conditions (off-road) or foul weather. Otherwise, traditional rim break will more than suffice.

Nevertheless, they're becoming more and more in use on bikes today, so in that case there's no reason to avoid them. I just wouldn't pay extra for them.

If you want/need a more compliant ride look for 32 tires and moderate (lower) the pressure. I have 28 on mine for more on road performance. I found I never went off the black top except to see what it felt like.
Old 06-29-16, 05:46 AM
prj71

Liked 1,275 Times in 830 Posts

Get a bike with disc brakes and carbon fork.

After owning a Specialized Crosstrail I realized the entry level shock was worthless. I had it locked all the time anyway and it's extra weight.
Old 06-29-16, 06:15 AM
rjmeyer67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc brakes

As simplistic as it sounds, I got disc brakes so I can use zip ties like tire chains in the winter.
Mechanical discs work like old fashioned car brake with a fixed side. Hydraulic ones have pressure from both sides which reduces chances for warping.
Old 06-30-16, 01:32 AM
lordbaldric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx so much for your advice guys. I'm going the the LBS this weekend to test out the different models, but based on your tips I'll probably end up with the FX 7.3. We'll see though.
Old 06-30-16, 01:41 AM
lordbaldric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjmeyer67
As simplistic as it sounds, I got disc brakes so I can use zip ties like tire chains in the winter.
Mechanical discs work like old fashioned car brake with a fixed side. Hydraulic ones have pressure from both sides which reduces chances for warping.
I'm in Florida, so there is none of this "winter" that you speak of. The worst is the sickening hot and humid summer.
Old 06-30-16, 03:37 AM
rjmeyer67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Florida, so there is none of this "winter" that you speak of. The worst is the sickening hot and humid summer.
I spent right years in Tennessee, that was hot enough for me. I prefer the child. To reach his own.
Old 07-02-16, 08:02 PM
lordbaldric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I want to the LBS today and tested out the bikes I was interested in. Ended up pulling the trigger on the FX 7.3- a very sleek and comfortable ride. Going to pick it up tomorrow!

Thanks for all the advice guys.