Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Theoretical maximum number of gears on a bike.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 04:06 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My other thread on many (many!) speed bikes got me thinking...

With any technology available today, what is the theoretical maximum number of speeds with which one could build a bike?

And the things have to work together, so you can't say "well I'd put a 14 speed rohloff with a 12 speed cassette" because those things can't work together, for a variety of reasons. Obviously such a bike would have quite a few shifters up on the handlebars (or on the downtube perhaps?), but that's to be expected. Yes, you're probably going to run into chainline problems and rubbing derailleurs, but that's still USEABLE. I will allow things to be slightly modified. I THINK you could modify one of those 2 speed bottom brackets to accept 2 chainrings, instead of just one...

Bonus points if you make the bike... useable. So DT shifters + only one set of each type of handlebar shifter. Technically you could use thumb shifters + friction shifters + grip shifters all at once...

I think I know some ways to make the bike have astronomical numbers of gears, but I'll hold my submission until later.

Just a little thought experiment for those of you willing to play.

Last edited by corrado33; 08-18-16 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 04:20 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Sram has the Dual Drive, which is a 3 speed internal gear hub that has a freehub capable of accepting a 10 speed cassette.
Couple all that with a triple chainwheel setup and you arrive at 90 possible combinations, though I am sure there would be several functional duplicates.
There may be other setups capable of more.....
Old 08-18-16, 04:21 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
The SRAM Dual drive is currently rated at 3x10.

I have read about some successful quads for the front.

So:
4 Front
3 Hub
10 Rear Cassette

And one gets 4 x 3 x 10 = 120 gear combinations.

One could probably do a bit more with an idler system.
Old 08-18-16, 04:31 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You could easily combine the above with the Schlumpf 2-speed bottom bracket to get 240 distinct gear combinations. Or the Pinion gear which gives 6 ratios in the bottom bracket for 720 total gear ratios. But simpler is the Nuvinci N360 planetary gear hub that is continuously variable - so an essentially unlimited number of gears.

AIRC, Bicycling! magazine put together a bike with a ridiculous number of gears sometime in the early/mid '70s. They modified a 5-speed Sturmey Archer hub to accept a 5-cog freewheel (common at the time) and combined that with either 4 or 5 chainrings in front for either 100 or 125 gear combinations.

Last edited by prathmann; 08-18-16 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 04:36 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,060 Times in 1,655 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
You could easily combine the above with the Schlumpf 2-speed bottom bracket to get 240 distinct gear combinations. Or the Pinion gear which gives 6 ratios in the bottom bracket for 720 total gear ratios. But simpler is the Nuvinci N360 planetary gear hub that is continuously variable - so an essentially unlimited number of gears.
Could you put this on a flip-flop hub so you can ride single speed when you get tired of all those choices?
Old 08-18-16, 04:55 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Could you put this on a flip-flop hub so you can ride single speed when you get tired of all those choices?
Old 08-18-16, 05:01 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What about a CVT for a bike-that would have an infinite number of gear choices.....
Old 08-18-16, 05:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
With conventional front-rear derailleur groupsets, Campagnolo Athena took it up to 3x11, which is matched by the top three levels of Shimano MTB setups. Bet you could install that on the Dual Drive hub. That would get you to 99
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-18-16, 06:40 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,004 Times in 4,257 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The SRAM Dual drive is currently rated at 3x10.

I have read about some successful quads for the front.

So:
4 Front
3 Hub
10 Rear Cassette

And one gets 4 x 3 x 10 = 120 gear combinations.

One could probably do a bit more with an idler system.
Mountain tamer has a quint, so that would take us up to 150.

Mountain Tamer Quad Plus

Awwww, looks like it says they're all gone
Old 08-18-16, 07:20 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
What about a CVT for a bike-that would have an infinite number of gear choices.....
That's what the NuVinci hub is.
Old 08-18-16, 07:35 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
My other thread on many (many!) speed bikes got me thinking...

With any technology available today, what is the theoretical maximum number of speeds with which one could build a bike?

And the things have to work together, so you can't say "well I'd put a 14 speed rohloff with a 12 speed cassette" because those things can't work together, for a variety of reasons. Obviously such a bike would have quite a few shifters up on the handlebars (or on the downtube perhaps?), but that's to be expected. Yes, you're probably going to run into chainline problems and rubbing derailleurs, but that's still USEABLE. I will allow things to be slightly modified. I THINK you could modify one of those 2 speed bottom brackets to accept 2 chainrings, instead of just one...

Bonus points if you make the bike... useable. So DT shifters + only one set of each type of handlebar shifter. Technically you could use thumb shifters + friction shifters + grip shifters all at once...

I think I know some ways to make the bike have astronomical numbers of gears, but I'll hold my submission until later.

Just a little thought experiment for those of you willing to play.
I know it's nowhere near the theoretical limit, but the most ratio combinations I have ever had on a bike of my own was 105.
The bike is a Quetzal recumbent, original drive train had a triple chain ring, driving a 5 speed mid drive cluster which in turn drove a 7 speed cassette on the wheel.
I have since converted the bike to a Rohloff hub and single chain ring. It has a 5 speed mid drive, but no derailleur, so shifting is by means of the greasy fingers method, however any gear other than the primary drive gear would exceed the maximum input ratio, so even though it still has 70 theoretical speeds, I only ever use, or need 14.
Old 08-18-16, 08:12 PM
Ronsonic 

Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Sheldon!
Old 08-19-16, 12:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Late 50s a friend's dad (with a shop,that Made artificial Limbs)put a 2nd 3 speed hub Up high on the apex of
seat stay seat tube s

Used a 2nd 3 speed ....1 cog attached to the hub shell with a 2nd chain .

so you could fit 2 NuVinci hubs and double the 2 360 Infinite ratio Hubs... for Double Infinity.

next step ... infinite improbability drive..
Old 08-19-16, 12:25 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
While somewhat entertaining, I'm wondering if there firm opinion on how many gears one can actually benefit from for a given speed range.
Would 5% increments make sense?
2%?
Or would 10% suffice?
Old 08-19-16, 07:48 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Liked 294 Times in 217 Posts
Rohloff 14 sp (respaced w/cassette carrier in place of cog) + Schlumpf 2 sp (w/chainring replaced with spider for triple rings) + 12 sp cassette + 3 chainrings = 1008 gears.

Some assembly required.
Old 08-19-16, 08:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Rohloff mid drives have been done, hubshell drives a cog mounted on the left end..

Pinion mid drives have even more gears , it can drive a R'off

then, a need will be for a 3rd wheel.. super lows and, just 2, you will fall over.
Old 08-19-16, 08:17 AM
bud16415

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My 3x9 has half step plus granny and I have 15 distinct different gears ranging from 18-100 GI at roughly 5 GI steps. It is all I would ever need. I might add overlap and repeated gears isn’t a bad idea between granny and center rings I overlap 2 there.

Infinity is the answer to your question unless you add in efficiency. Then the answer for me is 15.
Old 08-19-16, 09:01 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
While somewhat entertaining, I'm wondering if there firm opinion on how many gears one can actually benefit from for a given speed range.
2%?
Or would 10% suffice?
On the faster part of the gear ratio range, smaller steps are better.
On the slower side - larger steps are usually more practical.

In the middle - depends on one's taste. Some love it tight, some don't mind larger gaps.
Old 08-19-16, 09:16 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Why is it that when I clean and examine my bike, I am happy with the gearing but then..... I go out on a ride and wish I had another gear to select from?
Gears are likes bikes, it's N+1 all the time!
Old 08-19-16, 10:09 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
2%?
Or would 10% suffice?
There's an often-repeated rule of thumb that +-10% is about what feels good. But you can challenge that... and even if you accept it, is it 10% higher/lower gears or is it 10% higher/lower power, which is not the same thing?

MTB cassettes, where it's more important to have wide range than optimize power output, have about 1.15 ratio shifts (or +15% if you like).

Math fun: since an N-speed cassette has N-1 shifts, the average size of the shift ratio is the N-1th root of the ratio of the gear range. For example, for a typical 9x11-34 MTB cassette, the 8th root of 34/11 is 1.1515
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-19-16, 11:23 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
There's an often-repeated rule of thumb that +-10% is about what feels good. But you can challenge that... and even if you accept it, is it 10% higher/lower gears or is it 10% higher/lower power, which is not the same thing?

MTB cassettes, where it's more important to have wide range than optimize power output, have about 1.15 ratio shifts (or +15% if you like).

Math fun: since an N-speed cassette has N-1 shifts, the average size of the shift ratio is the N-1th root of the ratio of the gear range. For example, for a typical 9x11-34 MTB cassette, the 8th root of 34/11 is 1.1515
So is there some piece of maths where I input my speed range and get an answer to what my ideal number of gears would be?
Can't miss a chance to live up to the saying: "logic is a way of going wrong with confidence" 😉

I was toying with the idea of mating a quad crank to a 3-speed IGH, to get 12 unique gears 5-6 % apart.
Old 08-19-16, 08:09 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6
Sram has the Dual Drive, which is a 3 speed internal gear hub that has a freehub capable of accepting a 10 speed cassette.
Couple all that with a triple chainwheel setup and you arrive at 90 possible combinations, though I am sure there would be several functional duplicates.
There may be other setups capable of more.....
There was one kid in the neighborhood that cobbled together a 3 speed hub with a 10 speed (5 cog rear) that I knew of back last mid century (1960's)

Another had a lawnmower engine powered rig.

I was more interested in chemistry and blowin' things up.
Old 08-19-16, 08:16 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,004 Times in 4,257 Posts
So is there some piece of maths where I input my speed range and get an answer to what my ideal number of gears would be?
Can't miss a chance to live up to the saying: "logic is a way of going wrong with confidence" ��

I was toying with the idea of mating a quad crank to a 3-speed IGH, to get 12 unique gears 5-6 % apart.
Well, you'd need more factors than just speed range and percentage increase/decrease.

Speed range
Cadence range
Wheel size
Smallest acceptable chainring tooth count
Largest acceptable chainring tooth count
Preferred cog tooth count (or smallest/largest acceptable cog tooth count)
Old 08-19-16, 09:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
There is no theoretical limit.

There is definitely a practical limit. You can only go so slow before you fall over and, on the fast side, you can only pedal until your power output matches your air resistance. The question is "What's the optimum number of gears to fill in that gap?" My answer keeps creeping upward.