Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling caps for L/XL heads?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 02:01 PM
wesmamyke

Liked 87 Times in 77 Posts

Anyone making decent cycling caps for the big headed? Not just big diameter but tall too. Also no floppy brims like a Walz cap.

Was temped to order a Rapha as they have two sizes, but the larger size is listed as M/L and the lower end of the size scale is way below what I would call Large.

I really like the cheapo cycling caps with the cardboard stiff brim, but they're always so small no amount elastic in the back is going to help.
Old 02-05-17, 05:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This is the only one I've found that properly fits my noggin-- I typically wear a 7 5/8 fitted hat:

Giro Peleton Cap

I'm quite pleased with it. Good fit, and made out of a jersey-like material instead of cotton, so it doesn't get hot. Brim has a rigid insert, so it stays up or down, never flops around. Worth the money for sure.
Old 02-05-17, 07:03 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Liked 473 Times in 295 Posts
Santini sells really high quality hats in three sizes or their UNI size depending on which hat. Look around at the various team and special edition pages too.

https://www.santinisms.it/us/men-headwear-46

-

Last edited by drlogik; 02-05-17 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 07:19 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Liked 377 Times in 223 Posts
Talk to me when you wear an 8 1/8 hat size I ordered a tilley that fits me and found a baseball cap at Ollies marked XXL/XXXL are the only two hat I have found to fit in the last 10 years. I wear a do rag in the summer toboggen in the winter riding
Old 02-09-17, 05:16 AM
wesmamyke

Thanks for the leads. Temped to try the Giro cap, I'm scared of anything that says one size but all the reviews say it runs large. Couldn't seem to find any caps on the Santini site that had sizes, all just one size.

For the moment I ordered a Pace cap off ebay that says XL, we'll see it was cheap. Thanks again.
Old 02-09-17, 10:11 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I have a 7-5/8 XL, long oval-shaped head and it's hard to find helmets or any kind of hat that fits. I found a GIRO XL Bishop that works good for mountain biking and a Bontrager Starvos XL for road cycling. Bike shops usually don't carry XL sizes, so I have to order them off the net without trying them on... and hope they fit.

Same thing with ski/snowboard helmets.... very difficult to find XL sizes with the right specs, color, etc.
Old 02-09-17, 10:30 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
I believe Walz Caps sells different size caps, and they may even sell custom sizing.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-09-17, 12:09 PM
indyfabz

Liked 17,421 Times in 8,135 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Was temped to order a Rapha....

I can tell you like to live dangerously. Even the mere mention of the name Rapha 'round these part can result in one being ridiculed.
Old 02-09-17, 04:33 PM
wesmamyke

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I can tell you like to live dangerously. Even the mere mention of the name Rapha 'round these part can result in one being ridiculed.
I'd almost expect the ridicule really, a cap is probably the only item from them I could afford. I only considered it because of the possible large size and they had a blacked out version that only said Rapha under the brim.

Edit: I actually have a supposedly large Walz cap from Rivendell, it's tiny and the brim is a floppy mess.

Last edited by wesmamyke; 02-09-17 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 08:02 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I believe Walz Caps sells different size caps, and they may even sell custom sizing.
+1, I have a pretty fat head- Walz fits fine
Old 05-18-17, 03:04 PM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Pace does an XL that fits my 7 5/8 dome with a drop of room to spare even. Their "Traditional" cap has a rigid brim though I prefer the "euro" cap with the floppy brim.
Old 05-18-17, 03:11 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 559 Times in 373 Posts
Welcome to Kromer Caps - This is the Original
Old 05-18-17, 03:28 PM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this is for under-helmet wear, I usually go with a Buff to keep the sweat under control. Has the added benefit of keeping the sun off of my neck. The skinny women on Survivor wear them as tube tops, so they will fit your dome, no matter how big it is. I use a mountain helmet that has a visor (good place to attach the Take A Look mirror), so no need for a hat with a brim.
Old 05-18-17, 03:48 PM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Welders caps since the 60's, YES!
Old 05-20-17, 05:24 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Doo rags. One size fits all.
Old 05-20-17, 08:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
I have some headsweats coolmax hats, elastic fit .. (I'm in 7.5 range noggin)
Old 05-20-17, 08:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,648 Times in 1,110 Posts
Even the mere mention of the name Rapha 'round these part can result in one being ridiculed.
For good reason. Of course any over priced cycling cap/headgear or cycling specific apparel worn when not astride a bicycle looks ridiculous too.
Old 05-20-17, 02:05 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
For good reason. Of course any over priced cycling cap/headgear or cycling specific apparel worn when not astride a bicycle looks ridiculous too.
I have a Rapha wool base layer. Worth every penny I paid for it, but I understand that some people's aversion to spending money prevents them from seeing that some expensive things are not overpriced.
Old 05-20-17, 02:23 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
Nike Pro Combat skull caps
Old 05-21-17, 02:00 PM
Steeem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got myself a helmet and was wondering if a hat is necessary? I'm also new and was wondering what is a general function of a hat? I live in NJ/NYC -- summers here can be very hot...
Old 05-21-17, 02:12 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 559 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeem
I just got myself a helmet and was wondering if a hat is necessary? I'm also new and was wondering what is a general function of a hat? I live in NJ/NYC -- summers here can be very hot...
Mainly for keeping sweat from running down into your eyes. Secondly for keeping your perfectly quaffed hair do looking good!
Old 05-21-17, 04:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Also, if you happen to be... follicularly challenged, wearing a helmet without a cap underneath will reward you with a sweet Alien Nation sunburn. I learned this from experience.
Old 05-22-17, 06:36 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Also, if you happen to be... follicularly challenged, wearing a helmet without a cap underneath will reward you with a sweet Alien Nation sunburn. I learned this from experience.
Same thing happened to me last summer, but my scalp looked like Darth Maul's.
Old 05-22-17, 06:57 AM
john_mct

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Rapha wool base layer. Worth every penny I paid for it, but I understand that some people's aversion to spending money prevents them from seeing that some expensive things are not overpriced.
Sprung for one of those...got a hole in under two months, probably 12 riding days total. Delicate is putting it nicely, maybe ideal for gentle souls that ride in cold weather three times a year.

Back to caps, been looking for a good place to get welder caps since my last one fell apart years ago and the sweet old lady in Kansas that was hand making them has since retired.
Old 05-22-17, 07:18 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by john_mct
Sprung for one of those...got a hole in under two months, probably 12 riding days total. Delicate is putting it nicely, maybe ideal for gentle souls that ride in cold weather three times a year.
Or maybe it's you as I have taken mine on several week+, unsupported bike tours (with camping) in addition to wearing it "locally." Other than the holes from the moth problem I had, it has held up well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.