Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike for almost 6'5 almost 375 lbs.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 09:59 AM
BigGuy305

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I've done a lot of reading here. I know there are similar posts but I wanted to start my own. I am almost 6'5 in height and almost 375 lbs looking to exercise and lose some weight. I enjoy biking but I feel like I'm not happy with the bike I currently own. I went to a LBS about 4 years ago looking for the guy. The guy instantly said you need a mountain bike and slapped me on the biggest one that they had built and convinced me that was the right bike for me. Its a Trek 3900 mountain bike in what I believe is a 22 inch frame.

This is a pic of my current bike.
Forum wont let me post a pic of it until I have 10 posts but the seat is raised up very high and the handle bars are high with risers. I will post a pic once I have 10 posts.

As you can notice the seat and the handles are raised very high to make it any what comfortable. I feel like the setup is pretty high up, but seems scrunched together for me length wise. My riding is 90% streets and side walks and 10% grass or gravel when going between pavements. I feel like the brakes on my bike are inadequate, the shock isn't useless but It has no lock out so for most of my riding its probably counter productive, and I feel like the bike drags for any kind of distance. I switched the tires to a road type tire but I'm guessing it could also be the gearing. On top of all that with the smaller 26 inch wheels I feel like I'm sitting on a tall but scrunched up bike. Its not a terrible bike, I just don't think its suited for me.

I started looking at hybrid type bikes (XL 22.5" frames and 29 inch tires that they feel better when I stand over them as far as size and length. I have not got a chance to ride one but I feel like they are better suited by the way they look for what I do. (Paved trails and around the neighborhood.) I just want to be able to ride better distance and see more things.

I was looking specifically at the Trek DS2 or Giant Roam 2. They have disc brakes, shocks that have a lock out to keep it rigid and a bigger look overall. I also started looking at the Trek FX which basically to me looks almost the same but a rigid fork instead.

Any opinions?

My budget I suppose is about 500-600 but less is always better.
Old 12-18-17, 02:10 PM
katsup

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter,, Ritchey Ultra, Cotic SolarisMax, Salsa La Cruz

Liked 567 Times in 322 Posts
You may need a XXL bike which are even harder to find. I am 6'2" with a long torso and ride XL ~22" frame bikes. You really need to test a XL and XXL (if you can find one) to see how you fit.

What is the make / model of your current bike so we have an idea of what you are upgrading.
Old 12-18-17, 02:26 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 209 Times in 147 Posts
At 6'5"' you need a very large frame indeed. At least a 25" or 64 cm, and 66 cm might be even better. Soma makes a few frames in 66 cm, I believe the ES and Wolverine models, as does KHS with its flite 747. Or a Surly Long Haul Trucker in 64 cm built up with some high spoke count wheels. If those are too small, you may have to order a custom made frame which would be very expensive. Additionally, you will need very substantial touring or tandem wheels to hold your weight.

I hate to break it to you, but no way you are finding something suitable for your height and weight for $500 or $600. You need to double or maybe even triple your budget. Or look for a vintage bike, as I know back in the day, they made some very tall frames. Then either spend money to modernize it or ride as is.

Last edited by MRT2; 12-18-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 03:07 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,676 Times in 3,458 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGuy305
This is a pic of my current bike.
Forum wont let me post a pic of it until I have 10 posts but the seat is raised up very high and the handle bars are high with risers. I will post a pic once I have 10 posts.
Go to the "Advanced" editor and click on the paper clip "Attachments" icon. . The upload should be pretty self explanatory.

As far as bikes, I think you're on the right track.

One option is to hunt down a tall vintage rigid frame MTB. A few of them are out there, and often at reasonable prices. Then rebuild as you wish. Of course, most of them will have 26" wheels and rim brakes.

Your hybrid option may be good too, or a "Cross" bike if you wish. If you're hunting in the < $500 range, perhaps look for one that is fairly cheap, and budget a couple hundred for wheel upgrades. Some people pay as much as their bike to get good robust wheels.
Old 12-18-17, 03:45 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Liked 2,013 Times in 972 Posts
Nashbar touring bike, $600, size 64cm:

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...2_602988_-1___

It's an overbuilt bike with 36 spoke wheels. You'll have a hard time beating that for strength/cost other than used bikes, and used bikes for a 6'5" person are fairly rare.
Old 12-18-17, 04:18 PM
Fr4nk

Bikes: Trek Verve 3 , Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Nashbar Touring would be a nice reliable big in your price range.
Old 12-18-17, 04:21 PM
Fr4nk

Bikes: Trek Verve 3 , Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to spend even less go to bikeisland they have 64cm Windor Tourist's for only $350.00
Old 12-18-17, 04:33 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want the bike to last, you need a $600 budget for wheels alone.

Any of the steel touring bikes with the right wheels should work for you, though.

I would want the highest spoke count and strongest straight gauge spokes you can get, but definitely no less than 36.
Old 12-18-17, 05:42 PM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Nashbar touring bike, $600, size 64cm:

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...2_602988_-1___

It's an overbuilt bike with 36 spoke wheels. You'll have a hard time beating that for strength/cost other than used bikes, and used bikes for a 6'5" person are fairly rare.

^^^^^ that
Old 12-18-17, 06:32 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by Fr4nk
If you want to spend even less go to bikeisland they have 64cm Windor Tourist's for only $350.00
BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

That Windsor looks like a better bike than the Nashbar for less money. Can't beat that deal.
Old 12-18-17, 06:52 PM
brawlo

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
You're the same height as me. What are your proportions like? I fit very 'large'(eg when I was custom fitted for my current track frame, the fitter had a frame built for a 6'6" guy that was way too small for me ~ I have long legs and arms)

Of those bikes you mention, the Trek DS2 is the pick. Purely on the numbers, that is the biggest (longest) bike there for REACH. Reach and stack are numbers that you want to become familiar with and educate yourself on

Whether or not the bike style suits you is up to you, but a road style bike with drop bars will allow you to stretch out more by having your hands out on the shifter hoods. The other bikes you mention, despite being longer in frame, are mated to flat/straight handlebars. So even though the road frames mentioned above are effectively shorter than the DS2, the handlebar configuration gives you a more stretched out position. I currently ride a Canyon CFSL in 3XL sizing (was the biggest carbon road bike on the market) and I also have a Scott Scale 960 MTB in XXL. In reality the MTB is still too small for me as when climbing steeper climbs I am too far over the rear wheel. The only step I can see going on from that is a lot of $$. It took me literally 10 years to find and purchase/afford a road bike that actually fitted me like a road bike should. Sure I could have gone custom, but what I paid for my whole bike was less than a custom frame. Hopefully your proportions allow you to fit properly on an off the shelf bike, but do be prepared to find that whatever you can get is a sizing compromise
Old 12-18-17, 07:16 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,676 Times in 3,458 Posts
One thing I was looking at was the effective top tube length on some of the bikes.

The flat bar (hybrid) type bikes tend to have a longer Effective Top Tube, at least with some brands.

Drop Bar Bikes:

Windsor Tourist (Bikes Direct), ST: 64, TT 58.9 HT 165mm Wheelbase: 1070
Nashbar Touring (Nashbar), ST: 64 TT 58.87, HT 165mm Wheelbase: 1059
REI ADV 3.1 XL (REI DROP BAR), ST (actual, sloped) 57, TT 58, HT 230mm Wheelbase: 1068
REI CTY 1.1 XL (REI FLAT BAR), ST (actual, sloped) 52.5, TT 62.5 HT 190mm Wheelbase: 1120
Surly LHT (bare frame?) ST (actual, level) 64, TT 61.5 HT 226mm Wheelbase 1095
Soma Grand Randonneur (bare frame) Size 65, TT 61 HT 25.5 Wheelbase 1077

https://www.rei.com/product/109339/c...es-adv-31-bike
https://www.rei.com/product/121596/c...es-cty-11-bike
https://www.rei.com/product/109340/c...es-cty-11-bike (sale)
Long Haul Trucker | Bikes | Surly Bikes
Grand Randonneur Frame Set (v.2) | SOMA Fabrications

The reason drop bar frames are a little shorter than flat bar frames is that the bars tend to put one's hands out a bit further forward, especially when riding on the "hoods". But, I'm somewhat disappointed that the largest "touring" frames available all seem to be so short.

Personally if I was going to do some kind of a drop bar cross bike, I'd look at hybrid frames and rebuild with the drop bars.

Of course, it is pretty easy to blow your budget away if you go with some kind of a frame up custom build.

Nonetheless, not all bikes spec out the same, look at the charts.
Old 12-21-17, 09:17 PM
BigGuy305

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you everyone so far for the responses. I rode the Giant Roam 2 a LBS had in the 22.5 size and it felt pretty nice. They also had a Trek FX 22.5 which i also liked because of the quickness. They also make the FX in a 25" size but that may be actually too big. I think I am leaning towards one of these. I guess the main difference is the rigid fork vs the suspension. I am leaning towards the Trek DS2 more now because even though I mostly do paved stuff I do cut through grass and off sidewalks etc and the suspension can be locked. It just seemed more 'tough'. I just dont know if I should go for the 21" frame or the 22.5 though. I probably wont be able to see both sizes if they dont have them in stock. According to the trek website, the 21" is for 6'0.8-6'5.6 and the 22.5 is for 6'5.2 - 6'6.7. Im assuming its about the same as the Giant Roam 2 but im not sure. I wouldnt say im tall and lenky. Id say average proportions.
Old 12-21-17, 10:11 PM
tyrion

I just dont know if I should go for the 21" frame or the 22.5 though. I probably wont be able to see both sizes if they dont have them in stock. According to the trek website, the 21" is for 6'0.8-6'5.6 and the 22.5 is for 6'5.2 - 6'6.7. Im assuming its about the same as the Giant Roam 2 but im not sure. I wouldnt say im tall and lenky. Id say average proportions.
I say when in doubt get the bigger size for that kind of bike.

Ask the shop to give the wheels an extra attentive tune up. The trick is to keep them true and tight - once they start going out of whack they'll degrade real fast when heavily loaded.
Old 12-21-17, 11:01 PM
BigGuy305

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tyrion
I say when in doubt get the bigger size for that kind of bike.

Ask the shop to give the wheels an extra attentive tune up. The trick is to keep them true and tight - once they start going out of whack they'll degrade real fast when heavily loaded.
Yeah I want to make sure they are right as well as the air pressure. They originally recommended the DS2 when I started looking a few weeks ago. They said everything should be strong enough except maybe the wheels, that I may get months or years out of them but they could build me stronger ones if they do finally bite the dust.
Old 12-21-17, 11:17 PM
katsup

According to the trek website, the 21" is for 6'0.8-6'5.6 and the 22.5 is for 6'5.2 - 6'6.7.
I'd say 22.5 at least. Your number 21" for up to 6'5" seems off. FX Sizing Chart

I had a FX 7.2, great bike, my dad now rides it. It can handle grass just fine, but I'd be cautious about going off curbs as you may break spokes. This would apply to the DS as well, which also has a suspension fork that can break. I'd personally stick with a rigid FX and ask the shop to replace the current tires with wider ones.

If you don't mind drop bars, that Windsor mentioned earlier is a hard deal to beat, just make sure you'd be happy on a 64cm before ordering.

Last edited by katsup; 12-22-17 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-21-17, 11:33 PM
BigGuy305

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by katsup
I'd say 22.5 at least. Your number 21" for up to 6'5" seems off.

I had a FX 7.2, great bike, my dad now rides it. It can handle grass just fine, but I'd be cautious about going off curbs as you may brake spokes. This would apply to the DS as well, which also has a suspension fork that can brake. I'd personally stick with a rigid FX and ask the shop to replace the current tires with wider ones.

If you don't mind drop bars, that Windsor mentioned earlier is a hard deal to beat, just make sure you'd be happy on a 64cm before ordering.
If you go to the DS series chart right below it has different measurements than the FX. Still torn between the 2 though.
Old 12-21-17, 11:36 PM
katsup

If you go to the DS series chart right below it has different measurements than the FX. Still torn between the 2 though.
You are right. I thought the "Dual Sport+" in my chart was the DS.
Old 12-22-17, 01:21 PM
shelbyfv
Banned

Liked 6,514 Times in 3,291 Posts
You have a few pounds on him but there is plenty of speculation is this recent thread https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...rge-man-2.html
Old 12-22-17, 03:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Zinn Cycles .. Lennard also writes for Velo News every month..
Old 12-22-17, 04:39 PM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I'm 6'5" and weigh in just under 300 lbs. I ride an old Univega Alpina Pro that I picked up on the cheap. It's fantastic. I'd suggest cruising craigslist for bikes with much taller head tubes. I see them all the time, frankly I think you'll get a lot more bike for less money, it mike take you a couple of weeks depending on your area; in my area there is always a half dozen tall bikes out there. Once I realized that most sellers do not know the size bike they have and to just flip through the pictures, it became a bunch easier to find what I wanted/needed.
Old 12-22-17, 11:48 PM
BigGuy305

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think I'm pretty sold on a trek fx2. I'm just not sure whether a 22.5 or 25 inch frame. The lbs says they will get both in so i can get a feel for them. On a side note is there any real difference in the 2018/2017/2016 trek fx2 besides color scheme?
Old 12-23-17, 09:54 AM
MRT2

I think I'm pretty sold on a trek fx2. I'm just not sure whether a 22.5 or 25 inch frame. The lbs says they will get both in so i can get a feel for them. On a side note is there any real difference in the 2018/2017/2016 trek fx2 besides color scheme?
Go with the larger frame. Budget for some more substantial wheels.
Old 12-23-17, 11:16 AM
BigGuy305

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
Go with the larger frame. Budget for some more substantial wheels.
He will have them both Tuesday. I just really feel like I need to double check the stand over height and reach of each one. It should be more or less an inch or less for both measurements. He told me the same thing about the wheels. He said they will triple check everything and get them as good as possible but I may need new ones in a month or a year so to plan on that.

What PSI should I run the tires.
Old 12-23-17, 11:20 AM
MRT2

He will have them both Tuesday. I just really feel like I need to double check the stand over height and reach of each one. It should be more or less an inch or less for both measurements. He told me the same thing about the wheels. He said they will triple check everything and get them as good as possible but I may need new ones in a month or a year so to plan on that.

What PSI should I run the tires.
At or near the top of the recommended range on the sidewall of the tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.