Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I need help with a bike decision.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 08:51 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

I'm currently waiting for my warranty frameset to come. It's an Aventon Cordoba Frameset. I previously had the mataro low. I also have the opportunity to buy a brand new Specialized Langster that would come with all new parts. As of right now I am focusing on saving money to move into a new apartment. So what do you think? Should I keep the Cordoba or sell it, spend and extra $300ish and buy the Langster (and have a better) bike.
Old 05-01-18, 08:55 PM
ryan_rides

I've been on a friends Specializes Sirrus (hybrid) for about a little over a month now I think and I'm over it. I hate not riding fast. It's a good hybrid but it's no track bike/fixed gear.
Old 05-01-18, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
My Langster got me into fixed gear riding. I would personally get rid of the Aventonton but then again I wouldn't buy one in the first place. The Langster was a moment of weakness which ended up working out well. I will be sad to see it go but alas I have plans for other bikes in steel to replace it and cannot keep so many bikes even though I should be I just don't ride it much anymore.
Old 05-01-18, 09:58 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I've talked to some guys who really like their Aventons. If you've checked out the Langster and that one does it for you, maybe it'll be worth the extra three hun. But getting a new apartment AND still having a decent bike vs. living in the old dump with a nice bike... meh... that's a tough call.
Old 05-01-18, 10:23 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My Langster got me into fixed gear riding. I would personally get rid of the Aventonton but then again I wouldn't buy one in the first place. The Langster was a moment of weakness which ended up working out well. I will be sad to see it go but alas I have plans for other bikes in steel to replace it and cannot keep so many bikes even though I should be I just don't ride it much anymore.
Yeah I would love to have a steel bike like an All City Big Block. I wish I never bought an Aventon. I bought a Mataro Low complete initially and the frame cracked; got it warrantied; cracked again even worse. Now I'm waiting for the new new Cordoba frameset. So I'm pretty biased when it comes to Aventon.
Old 05-01-18, 11:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by ryan_rides
Yeah I would love to have a steel bike like an All City Big Block. I wish I never bought an Aventon. I bought a Mataro Low complete initially and the frame cracked; got it warrantied; cracked again even worse. Now I'm waiting for the new new Cordoba frameset. So I'm pretty biased when it comes to Aventon.
I am biased as well and maybe more so hearing about two cracked frames. Is Aventonton the new Leader?

The Big Block was never a huge one on my list. Not a bad bike but I am not keen on the water bottle braze on placement and would prefer a carbon fork or at least not a straight blade. I am more looking for a street bike than a track bike. However I would consider either that or a Steamroller and just swap forks and deal with less than ideal cage placement.
Old 05-01-18, 11:35 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Where did the frames crack?
Old 05-02-18, 07:04 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Steel is real.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-02-18, 07:49 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I am biased as well and maybe more so hearing about two cracked frames. Is Aventonton the new Leader?

The Big Block was never a huge one on my list. Not a bad bike but I am not keen on the water bottle braze on placement and would prefer a carbon fork or at least not a straight blade. I am more looking for a street bike than a track bike. However I would consider either that or a Steamroller and just swap forks and deal with less than ideal cage placement.
I have a Big Block and run 32's on it and don't find the straight blade fork harsh at all. I'm sure if I went with Gatorskin 23s I would.
You are correct about the water bottle braze-ons and I wish they had either put two sets or just on the downtube, but I can always add a clamp-on if the mood strikes.
Old 05-02-18, 01:40 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For what it's worth, I love my Aventon. But I have no clue how the Diamond frame compares to the Mataro Low or the Cordoba.
Old 05-02-18, 06:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I have a Big Block and run 32's on it and don't find the straight blade fork harsh at all. I'm sure if I went with Gatorskin 23s I would.
You are correct about the water bottle braze-ons and I wish they had either put two sets or just on the downtube, but I can always add a clamp-on if the mood strikes.
Less about the harshness and more about the look and the fact I want a carbon fork on something like that. Full on touring bike, steel fork, carrying racks or cargo of any sort, steel fork, everything else road Crabons please. The bike just looks odd with the straight blade fork in my eyes.

I don't know why they like the seat tube vs down tube? When in doubt do both and offer so flat head aluminum bolts to cover it up.
Old 05-02-18, 10:51 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Crack is whack.
Old 05-03-18, 12:13 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
As always, working. Unless you don't want it working so you can make it work. And don't buy what everyone says you should
Old 05-03-18, 04:55 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Where did the frames crack?
It cracked on bothe sides of the seat tube where the seatstays meet right on the welds and it also cracked on the non-drive side chain stay right in the eels where it meets the BB. That's my first warrantied frame. The original frame crack on the seat stay too.
Old 05-03-18, 05:02 PM
ryan_rides

I love the Big Block just for its beauty and quality. Even better that it has an option for a an bottle cage (i have a specialized saddle mount cage). I prefer a straight blade fork than a curved one. Carbon is great too. Also it has a lot if tire clearance.
Old 05-03-18, 05:46 PM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by ryan_rides
It cracked on bothe sides of the seat tube where the seatstays meet right on the welds and it also cracked on the non-drive side chain stay right in the eels where it meets the BB. That's my first warrantied frame. The original frame crack on the seat stay too.
Wow, that sucks. Never heard of anyone having problems with Aventons cracking before. Maybe they got a bad batch.
Old 05-03-18, 07:10 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I've talked to some guys who really like their Aventons. If you've checked out the Langster and that one does it for you, maybe it'll be worth the extra three hun. But getting a new apartment AND still having a decent bike vs. living in the old dump with a nice bike... meh... that's a tough call.
FWIW I would pick a bike I really want vs a better appt. The extra money spent on the appt will be gone at the end of every month, whereas the bike is more of an investment, in that you will have it for years to come and enjoy it all the time. My 2 cents #getanawesomebike !

Dave
Old 05-03-18, 08:27 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Wow, that sucks. Never heard of anyone having problems with Aventons cracking before. Maybe they got a bad batch.
Aventons are known for cracking. I wish I knew before I initially bought one. I would have saved for a few more weeks and bought a bike of better quality.
Old 05-03-18, 08:45 PM
seau grateau

Bummer. I'd probably try to flip it then. Langsters seem to be decent. Might also consider a Dolan, I had one for a while and would recommend them for a budget friendly alu track frame: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...cursa-frameset
Old 05-04-18, 05:07 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
I got a langster rio earlier this week, first fixed gear bike. It rides nice for the stuff on it. I got an older 2016 version on clearance so I'm only out $307 if I hate it, I can likely flip it more then I paid for it new

Mine didn't come with the stock brakes so I need to add some SRAM levers to make it more ride-able in my hilly area. Wheel bearings leave some to be desired, kinda noisy (but still roll nice and soak in the road buzz with 23s). and Handlebar are too narrow for my liking. I'm used to 42s on my roadie and have 44s on my CX

Endpoint, I think the Langster frame is worth hanging better parts on it. It fits me pretty well, lifetime warranty. Easy to remove brakesets and cable routing for the track days too
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-09-18, 08:09 PM
scottlox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spend the extra
Old 06-11-18, 09:33 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
If I were starting over from scratch right now I'd definitely consider the Langster unless larger tire clearance is something you think you'll want.