Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ever seen a tire shredded like this?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 11:10 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I finally took the front wheel off my bike as it needed truing from the crash 5 weeks ago. I’m still a long ways from being able to ride but the bike needs some maintenance.

I was really surprised to see the sidewall completely shredded. In fact the sidewall was torn all the way through the tire. I knew I hit the asphalt hard as evidenced by my broken hip but I was surprised to see that much damage. I thought I’d hit and bounced but obviously I slid more that I thought. No wonder I had a good bit of road rash.

There is also some scuffing at the top of the brake tracks but I don’t think it will affect overall performance. I didn’t see any cracks in the carbon rim but I guess time will tell if there are any structural issues.

Old 09-20-18, 11:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
My Guess

You rode it under inflated.
Old 09-20-18, 12:25 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
How did your bike get back after your crash?
Old 09-20-18, 01:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How did your bike get back after your crash?
Retro-one of our bike club members was just up the road in his pickup truck. He was going to take some video of us as we rode by. He heard their was a crash and was onsite in minutes. They put my bike in the bed of his pickup and helped me get in the cab. He was so nice, I was bleeding pretty good and in a good bit of pain but he made a point telling me to know worry about blood getting on his upholstery. Another stranger also stopped in his car and offered to take me to the hospital but our buddy showed up right afterwards.

My my van was at the starting point of the ride so we stopped by there and put the bike and all my bike gear in my van which was most helpful to not have all that at the hospital. I was also able to get my wallet and medical insurance cards from my van. The hospital was just a few minutes away and my wife was waiting on me at the entrance to the ER when we arrived. She and my son shuttled my van back to the house around midnight that night.

Logistically it couldn’t have worked out any better. I was not going to leave my bike out there!!!!
Old 09-20-18, 07:14 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 326 Posts
Well I hope you’re making a quick & pain free recovery.

As for that tire & how it got that way: is there any possibility that the brake was rubbing the sidewall for a time prior to the crash? Also did the tire blow out and this was the cause of the crash?
Old 09-20-18, 07:40 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You rode it under inflated.
my first thought as well.
Old 09-20-18, 08:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18463 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
Is that just one patch, or is it like that all the way around?

Is the wheel true? Ahh, slightly out of true, but hard to tell if that would be before or after the wreck.

My first reaction was riding underinflated/flat as @fietsbob suggested. That would also account for some of the damage to the rim. However, I can't account for the asymmetry, or the apparent localized effect.

Perhaps some more details of the crash?

I'm thinking perhaps a hard corner (descent), and the front wheel just slid out from under you (essentially a skid on the sidewall). Or, perhaps hitting a curb hard??? I.E. your front tire took the same road rash that your body took.
Old 09-21-18, 05:02 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by masi61
Well I hope you’re making a quick & pain free recovery.

As for that tire & how it got that way: is there any possibility that the brake was rubbing the sidewall for a time prior to the crash? Also did the tire blow out and this was the cause of the crash?
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Is that just one patch, or is it like that all the way around?

Is the wheel true? Ahh, slightly out of true, but hard to tell if that would be before or after the wreck.

My first reaction was riding underinflated/flat as @fietsbob suggested. That would also account for some of the damage to the rim. However, I can't account for the asymmetry, or the apparent localized effect.

Perhaps some more details of the crash?

I'm thinking perhaps a hard corner (descent), and the front wheel just slid out from under you (essentially a skid on the sidewall). Or, perhaps hitting a curb hard??? I.E. your front tire took the same road rash that your body took.
The sidewall shredding does give the appearance that it was under inflated but I don’t think that was the case. It is a 23 mm tire and I was running 100 psi of pressure. The brake pads were aligned correctly on the rim brake tracks so that shouldn’t have been an issue. I was riding with a group and hit some large rocks that had washed out into the road from a gravel driveway. I never saw them. The bike went airborne and then flipped sideways to my right while I was up in the air. I landed really hard on my right hip and the bike and I slid a ways. The sidewall shredding must have happened as I was sliding across the asphalt.

I later learned that the fella riding behind me ran over my front wheel. I suspect the weight of him on the front wheel contributed to pushing down on the front wheel while we were sliding thus all the sidewall damage. Fortunately he was able to stay upright.

Recovery is ongoing but seems to be tracking okay. The fall broke my right hip and I had a total hip replacement the next day. I’m hoping the surgeon will give me the go ahead to get on a stationary bike soon.

Last edited by jppe; 09-21-18 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 05:27 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18463 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
Ok, so road rash it is. That must have been some wicked crash.

Did you get some damage on the back side of the fork crown?

That looks like a very neat carbon fiber rim. Hopefully it can be salvaged.
Old 09-21-18, 07:04 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Ok, so road rash it is. That must have been some wicked crash.

Did you get some damage on the back side of the fork crown?

That looks like a very neat carbon fiber rim. Hopefully it can be salvaged.
No scuffs to the frame or fork that I can find. Just some tears to the bar tape. I guess between my body and the handlebars it kept the frame and fork from getting beat up?? These wheels are direct from China and I've put over 25,000 miles on them with zero issues. They are light and sturdy. As long as the rim is not damaged any more than the scuffs, I think there is plenty of room in the brake track to align the brake pads so they''re not running over top of those marks. I wouldn't be surprised to find a spoke or two in a weakened state given what they went through but we'll see.
Old 09-21-18, 08:46 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Retro-one of our bike club members was just up the road in his pickup truck. He was going to take some video of us as we rode by. He heard their was a crash and was onsite in minutes. They put my bike in the bed of his pickup and helped me get in the cab. He was so nice, I was bleeding pretty good and in a good bit of pain but he made a point telling me to know worry about blood getting on his upholstery. Another stranger also stopped in his car and offered to take me to the hospital but our buddy showed up right afterwards.

My my van was at the starting point of the ride so we stopped by there and put the bike and all my bike gear in my van which was most helpful to not have all that at the hospital. I was also able to get my wallet and medical insurance cards from my van. The hospital was just a few minutes away and my wife was waiting on me at the entrance to the ER when we arrived. She and my son shuttled my van back to the house around midnight that night.

Logistically it couldn’t have worked out any better. I was not going to leave my bike out there!!!!
What I was really wondering is if the tire had scraped on the ground while being transporting on an external bike rack of some kind. It sounds like all the transportation was in a van or back of a pick up so that's obviously not it.
Old 09-21-18, 02:29 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
That was a nasty crash! Glad you were able to get to the hospital quickly and that you received good care. I hope everything heals well and soon.

I guess it's one of the disadvantages of visiting this forum as infrequently as I do now that I was not aware this had happened.
Old 09-21-18, 02:46 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,277 Posts
Well, if you hit something hard enough to flat the tires, that would explain the underinflation. Looks like it dug in enough to scrape the rim. I've had Conti sidewalls start shredding with just a brush of the curb.
Old 09-21-18, 05:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,277 Posts

Brand new Gatorskins and good brakes. Oh, with a touch of sore ribs to boot. They are not bullet proof.
Old 09-21-18, 05:30 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Well, if you hit something hard enough to flat the tires, that would explain the underinflation. Looks like it dug in enough to scrape the rim. I've had Conti sidewalls start shredding with just a brush of the curb.
I was gonna say that ... Contis are kinda notorious for weaker sidewalls. I've never seen that kind of damage, though.

Old 09-22-18, 06:33 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
That was a nasty crash! Glad you were able to get to the hospital quickly and that you received good care. I hope everything heals well and soon.

I guess it's one of the disadvantages of visiting this forum as infrequently as I do now that I was not aware this had happened.
If you're interested here's a link to the details of the injury but the pictures tell the story:

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...roken-hip.html
Old 09-22-18, 09:09 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
If you're interested here's a link to the details of the injury but the pictures tell the story:

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...roken-hip.html
Ugh! Wishes for good healing to you, brother.
Old 09-23-18, 05:29 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 890 Posts
Horizontal dropouts and the wheel shifted to allow the tire to rub the chainstay?
Old 09-23-18, 08:41 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Being in the tire business (auto/lt. truck)..

Yep. the first pics are of a tire run underinflated/overloaded
The second is a classic brake induced flat spot.

Since anti-lock brakes and TPMS systems became common, that has cut the tires I see with those conditions by over, I would estimate, 90%

It still happens.. had both happen this week in fact.
First one.. guy had an ABS sensor fail, somone pulled out of a fast food joint in front of him, he flat-spotted a six month old tire.. brought it in for "warranty" with tread rubber smeared away from divot in the direction of the skid.. "I can't lock the brakes up, it's ABS!" "If the warning light is on, the system is locked out, sir."

Second.. tire with both sidewalls run to destruction. "Was the TPMS light on?" "Yeah." "How long was it on?" "Two, three days.."
Old 09-23-18, 07:26 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Sorry about your crash. Sometimes you just can't avoid stuff. Hope your recovery goes well.