Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero aluminum rim, worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-22, 08:13 AM
StargazeCyclist

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

I was offered a pair of Mavic Cosmic Elite 40mm wheels. I am now still using the factory TCR wheels that is 28mm deep and are like 10 years old. Can I expect notably better performance with the deeper wheel?

I learned that carbon rims don't work well with rim brake and in any case carbon wheels are too expensive, so that is probably the only sensible upgrade... or you guys just talk me out of it
Old 07-24-22, 08:55 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 3,837 Times in 1,905 Posts
Those wheels are noticeably h-e-a-v-y.

If you ride fast on flat terrain, and you've already optimized your aero setup (especially your body), you may notice a slightly better performance.

For an experienced cyclist, there is nothing wrong with carbon rim braking. I descend long mountain roads at high speed using carbon wheels and rim brakes, no problem.

If you'll consider lightweight carbon wheels, take a look at the offerings from Light Bicycle. Their Falcon Wheelset AR36 costs around $500.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-24-22, 07:05 PM
beng1
Banned

Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
It will gain you about .0001 mph. The only really effective performance gains are from training or body position on the bike, nothing else really matters unless you are a pro, and the pros don't have to spend money on their bikes, so they are the only ones that fancy equipment is "worth it" for. Ride more, ride harder, or ride lower if you want to go faster.
Old 07-24-22, 07:28 PM
HTupolev

Liked 1,300 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
It will gain you about .0001 mph.
If we're talking about flat-ground cruising speeds, you're probably off by a factor of at least a thousand. And the real number might realistically be a few thousand per wheel, depending on various factors.
Old 07-24-22, 07:49 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 730 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Those wheels are noticeably h-e-a-v-y.
Very H-E-A-V-Y ! I have a set which came with a bike I had for a while... Remember them being like 1925 g without skewers...
Used them for a year as weekday 'training wheels'. Made my HEDs at 1625g feel like I had wings... and they were 27mm profile... (the HEDs)
Can't say I ever felt I had an 'aero' advantage... Don;t remember the internal width, but was NOT 21mm.
I re-sold the bike - and of course included the cosmic wheels... happy day...
... I still have those HEDs (along with 2 other HED sets), they are awesome.
For any wheelset I might buy now, I would not consider anything less than 21, and 23 internal is preferred. Profile of 28-30mm is fine for me in alloy...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: