Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

back again with new homepage

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 05:08 AM
marmotte

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I might say, I'm back again to the forum, but actually I never was away from it. In fact I read 50 plus, TDF and travelling forum almost every day, but it was a 'passive participation' only.
In the meantime I have built a new homepage, which I am pleased to submit to you as a Christmas present. Some of you may recall my last one, Will Dehne translated it for me. Hi Will, thanks again for that. I followed your trip report from the very first day you started. It was great!
I decided to translate my new site by myself, because it has too much text (it would be too hard for only one person). I am sure, there are some dreadful mistakes, I apologise for that. Please don't hesitate to send me a mail or pm in order to rectify these mistakes.
My new homepage is about the passes of the western Alps, my favorite cycling region. I am very lucky, for in my wife I have a topping riding companion, there's a picture of the both of us at Col Agnel (see front page or 'region Briancon').
With the exception of Geneva and Torino region I made pictures of places in every region. It might be a stimulus for some of you to ride these 'cols' by yourself. In this case please ask fo further information.
I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
marmotte
Old 12-22-06, 06:57 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Nice web site, and your translation (and your command of the English language) puts me to shame. Very nice.
Old 12-22-06, 08:18 AM
OBXBIKR

Bikes: 2 canondale road bikes, one modified for touring, one virgin. Co-Motion Nor'wester on order now (2/5/06)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!
Old 12-22-06, 08:30 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Oh my.......there's a whole another world to see out there on a bike!! Gotta add that to the retirement list!!
Old 12-22-06, 08:51 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Danke sehr und Frohe Weinachten!
Old 12-23-06, 07:15 AM
marmotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your reply. Maybe we'll meet each other there one time (ok, after retirement, jppe). I think I will add an accomodation link with some special tips. For example there is a hotel with hot tub and sauna with a delicious dinner or another one with... or another one with... or another one with...
(necessary for 50+ers)
marmotte
Old 12-23-06, 08:59 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please do. Would love to hear the tips and who knows might just hop over there next fall and check them out. Specially interested in a base from which I could check out the area around Glabier, Glandon and Madaleine.
Old 12-23-06, 09:04 AM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wunderbar!!
Old 12-23-06, 09:49 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to rest after just looking at those panoramas! Being a flatlander I cannot imagine myself cycling those roads and living to tell about it. And you pull a trailer also!?! Ach....

Frohlische Weinachten!
Old 12-23-06, 10:10 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Absolutely delightful! Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 12-23-06, 10:36 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
I had to rest after just looking at those panoramas! Being a flatlander I cannot imagine myself cycling those roads and living to tell about it. And you pull a trailer also!?! Ach....

Frohlische Weinachten!
Yes, but that's why they have rental cars.
Old 12-23-06, 12:29 PM
marmotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Please do. Would love to hear the tips and who knows might just hop over there next fall and check them out. Specially interested in a base from which I could check out the area around Glabier, Glandon and Madaleine.
This would be - I think - Valloire. It's a little village between Télégraphe and Galibier with many activities in summer and winter. Google for Valloire and you will find a hotel list and more. There is no special hotel, because they have ski-hotels only. But if you're not alone (wife?, children?), this is the place with many attractions for all of you. In Valloire I had one of the 2 best Pizzas in my life (the other one was in Novi Ligure near Genova / Italy) - together with an excellent wine . The pizzeria ist at the northern end of Valloire, near the way to the camping groud.

Originally Posted by bcoppola
...And you pull a trailer also!?! Ach...
If you're accustomed to it (and you are after 2 days) it's not too hard. By the way: If you're 50+er and you want to be with your female compagnon, you MUST have hotels during the tour. This means: not too much luggage (no camping), no towels (they have in the hotel). So it is 5 kg each. My trailer is 7 kg --> 17 kg altogether --> less speed for you --> equalization of speed and a fine day for the both of us
Old 12-23-06, 12:55 PM
RockyMtnMerlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm on it!