Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I'm looking forward to electric shifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 03:27 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I didn't think I'd say this, but I'm actually looking forward to electric/electronic shifting.

At least if all its potential is unleashed.

1. Position sensing.
Some form of sensor determines where the sprocket is, and micromoves the derailer to the optimal position after every shift. Goes for both front and rear. No more rub - ever!

2. Automatic calibration.
The inner/outer limits and sprocket positions are automatically recorded and set during a setup calibration cycle that can be initiated in a setup mode. Just keep the chain moving at a minimum speed until the setup signals that it's done. Very practical if you often switch between different rear wheels.

3. Friction-like manual mode.
Not really necessary if #1 works fine, but could perhaps be useful. Small dial on the tip of the hood could let you microshift the derailers laterally, without actually doing any full shift.

4. Special!
There's also the potential for a "linear" shifting mode, where it will shift up and down through all usable gearing combinations, in sequence. No longer any need for the cyclist to keep track of specific shifting patterns - the shifting system takes care of it all for you, provided it's been told how many teeth the front and rear sprockets have. Just click UP or DOWN (or something like that) and you'll get your next harder or next easier gear. It could also be possible to program the shifting sequences manually, complete with front derailer first/second order determination.

If the battery can be made to work in really cold temps, it would mean that frozen shifter cables is a thing of the past.

Last edited by CdCf; 03-06-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-06-08, 03:29 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I, on the other hand, subscribe to the KISS theory.
Old 03-06-08, 03:41 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've got just the bike for you then, I bRAD:
Old 03-06-08, 03:49 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'd rather just ride a horse!
Old 03-06-08, 03:51 PM
dvs cycles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
So you still like 6sp friction shifters on the downtube of a 23lb bike?
Old 03-06-08, 03:55 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
blah blah blah.

So what problem is the electronic shifting solving again? Lack of space for batteries and electronics on the current cable system?

Edit: But yes, I'd take a 6sp friction shifter setup over robo-bike.

Last edited by I_bRAD; 03-06-08 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-06-08, 04:14 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I could list a number of good things, but I doubt you're interested. You sound as though you've made your mind up already.
Old 03-06-08, 04:17 PM
GlassWolf
cat person

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a more feasible solution is a CVT transmission on a biclcye.

although if you want electronic shifting, look at a Trek Lime.
Old 03-06-08, 04:20 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I try to keep electronics and other gadgets off of my bike. More stuff to fail on a long winter ride.
Old 03-06-08, 05:03 PM
Svr

Bikes: Plenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic tried it back in the mid '90s. It didn't catch on.

https://www.bikepro.com/products/rear...zap_rrder.html
Old 03-06-08, 05:05 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by GlassWolf
I think a more feasible solution is a CVT transmission on a biclcye.
To date nobody has been able to design an acceptable CVT for bike use. The attempts have all been either mechanical failures or unacceptably heavy and inefficient. So it's not a "more feasible solution", at least not so far.

The pie-in-the-sky electronic shifting system proposed by the OP may indeed be possible some day but current prototype electric shifting systems by Shimano and Campy (and Mavic's two failed commercial attempts) are just electrically shifted versions of current derailleur systems. They replace the shift lever, cable and hosing with servo motors and a battery. The only advantage I can see is you can install the shift buttons anywhere and have them in more than one location.
Old 03-06-08, 05:19 PM
due ruote 

Liked 531 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by dvs cycles
So you still like 6sp friction shifters on the downtube of a 23lb bike?
Can't speak for IbRad, but I do. But then again, I also liked wooden tennis rackets.
Old 03-06-08, 05:21 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I can lift in excess of 50lbs, so 23lbs is no trouble at all!
Old 03-06-08, 05:22 PM
slushlover2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 03-06-08, 05:31 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The pie-in-the-sky electronic shifting system proposed by the OP may indeed be possible some day but current prototype electric shifting systems by Shimano and Campy (and Mavic's two failed commercial attempts) are just electrically shifted versions of current derailleur systems. They replace the shift lever, cable and hosing with servo motors and a battery. The only advantage I can see is you can install the shift buttons anywhere and have them in more than one location.
Uhm, at least my #1 exists on working prototypes today, I've read!
Old 03-06-08, 05:32 PM
dvs cycles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure IF electric comes out and proves itself to be good they will STILL offer cables and low tech stuff for those anti tech types. Mavic DID fail twice and both Campy and Shimano have surpassed them and SHOULD be able to make it happen.
There is a reason that there aren't any dinosaurs left.
Old 03-06-08, 06:04 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
To date nobody has been able to design an acceptable CVT for bike use. The attempts have all been either mechanical failures or unacceptably heavy and inefficient. So it's not a "more feasible solution", at least not so far.

I built an electronic shift system using off the shelf parts from www.mouser.com. It consists of two stepper motors with gears and clutches pulling the cables. The clutches allow manual friction shifting if you allow the batteries to expire. I recently upgraded it to Bluetooth so the rider shifts it with buttons located in either the right or left glove. Bluetooth also allows someone following in a SAG to read Heart rate, Watts, speed, cadence, gear ratio, and body temp. It also allows the rider to talk to the SAG with a wireless Bluetooth headset. Electronics are here and you'll love it, eventually.
Old 03-06-08, 06:07 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dvs cycles
There is a reason that there aren't any dinosaurs left.
Yeah, they got too complicated.

Remember when you could rebuild your carb in an afternoon, and you didn't cause $1500 worth of damage if you backed into the guy behind you? I think bikes should stay that way.

Last edited by I_bRAD; 03-06-08 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-06-08, 06:48 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
And that's fine for YOU, I bRAD. Nothing prevents you from sticking with purely mechanical stuff. But I know I'll probably be happy once electric shifter setups get down to around current Ultegra price levels. Maybe 5-10 years in the future, but it will happen.

FYI, two of my three bikes are steel. One of them has friction shifting for the FD. My third bike has an alu frame, but is a singlespeed instead. I'm definitely not the all-carbon, highest-level tech geek you might think I am. But, to me, electric shifting seems to be a very useful and practical next level in shifting technology. It will make things simpler, faster, quieter and more predictable.

The extra weight, if any, of an electric shifter setup will probably be on the order of 100 grams or less, at least compared to the level of components I use. While the weight of the battery and electric actuators will add to the total, it will at least in part be offset by the cables and housings you no longer need, as well as the complete absence of any mechanical shifter mechanism in the brifters. A simple and light-weight electronics box would replace it all.

Compare the weight of a pair of Shimano brifters with a pair of plain brake levers (electric brifters would be close to the weight of plain brake levers), and you've got a weight reduction of 250-300 grams right there.

The weight of the cables and housings is probably around 100-120 grams, and that's instantly saved by going electric.

We're talking close to a pound saved before we start adding battery and actuators.

Not having cables and housings running along the frame and catching wind is also aerodynamically beneficial, albeit on a small scale.

Electric shifting could also easily accomodate multiple and duplicate shifter button locations. You could have one set of shifter buttons on the brifters, then another on the tops.
Old 03-06-08, 06:50 PM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with I_bRad on this one AND I'm kind of a technofreak. Look under the seat of your car at the size of the ECM. Given the bike won't need all the processing ability of a modern automobile, there is still all the issues of sensors. Are they going to be optical (think dirt and chain lube grime) or impedance/resistance type? Think you have adjustment troubles now? Back to the battery thing. I own a laptop, battery around $100.00 to replace, runs maybe two hours max on low power settings. My last ride was six hours long. Granted one isn't shifting all the time BUT if we go back to the sensors, there is continual drain.

Admittedly, we could go electric over manual but to what end? Still need brake levers so weight savings would be minimal over brifters (and there's that battery again) AND still have the stepper motors (or whatever) connected to the deraileurs. What about weather? Battery life in the cold just plain sucks.

I could write a book on all of this but, why not just go out and buy a motorcycle. You can have all the electronics your heart desires and not have to pedal too boot.

Just my .02
Keith
Old 03-06-08, 07:02 PM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CdCf
And that's fine for YOU, I bRAD. Nothing prevents you from sticking with purely mechanical stuff. But I know I'll probably be happy once electric shifter setups get down to around current Ultegra price levels. Maybe 5-10 years in the future, but it will happen.

FYI, two of my three bikes are steel. One of them has friction shifting for the FD. My third bike has an alu frame, but is a singlespeed instead. I'm definitely not the all-carbon, highest-level tech geek you might think I am. But, to me, electric shifting seems to be a very useful and practical next level in shifting technology. It will make things simpler, faster, quieter and more predictable.

The extra weight, if any, of an electric shifter setup will probably be on the order of 100 grams or less, at least compared to the level of components I use. While the weight of the battery and electric actuators will add to the total, it will at least in part be offset by the cables and housings you no longer need, as well as the complete absence of any mechanical shifter mechanism in the brifters. A simple and light-weight electronics box would replace it all.

Compare the weight of a pair of Shimano brifters with a pair of plain brake levers (electric brifters would be close to the weight of plain brake levers), and you've got a weight reduction of 250-300 grams right there.

The weight of the cables and housings is probably around 100-120 grams, and that's instantly saved by going electric.

We're talking close to a pound saved before we start adding battery and actuators.

Not having cables and housings running along the frame and catching wind is also aerodynamically beneficial, albeit on a small scale.

Electric shifting could also easily accomodate multiple and duplicate shifter button locations. You could have one set of shifter buttons on the brifters, then another on the tops.
Typical stepper motors require a magnet and some type of conductor (usually copper) both add weight. Pick up a laptop battery, not light. Titanium and carbon fiber don't weigh a lot, what can I say?

As a mechanic, (me) why do you feel things will be more simple (ever look under the hood of your car?) or more quiet? Going to need something similar to what we have now to take up chain slack, and that seems to be where most of the noise in running gear comes from anyway.
Old 03-06-08, 07:05 PM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CdCf
I didn't think I'd say this, but I'm actually looking forward to electric/electronic shifting.

At least if all its potential is unleashed.

1. Position sensing.
Some form of sensor determines where the sprocket is, and micromoves the derailer to the optimal position after every shift. Goes for both front and rear. No more rub - ever!

2. Automatic calibration.
The inner/outer limits and sprocket positions are automatically recorded and set during a setup calibration cycle that can be initiated in a setup mode. Just keep the chain moving at a minimum speed until the setup signals that it's done. Very practical if you often switch between different rear wheels.

3. Friction-like manual mode.
Not really necessary if #1 works fine, but could perhaps be useful. Small dial on the tip of the hood could let you microshift the derailers laterally, without actually doing any full shift.

4. Special!
There's also the potential for a "linear" shifting mode, where it will shift up and down through all usable gearing combinations, in sequence. No longer any need for the cyclist to keep track of specific shifting patterns - the shifting system takes care of it all for you, provided it's been told how many teeth the front and rear sprockets have. Just click UP or DOWN (or something like that) and you'll get your next harder or next easier gear. It could also be possible to program the shifting sequences manually, complete with front derailer first/second order determination.

If the battery can be made to work in really cold temps, it would mean that frozen shifter cables is a thing of the past.
that sounds about as easy as re-mapping your EFI, instead of just changing a carb jet,....

no thanks.

I'm also a KISS activist
Old 03-06-08, 07:09 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
Remember when you could rebuild your carb in an afternoon, and you didn't cause $1500 worth of damage if you backed into the guy behind you? I think bikes should stay that way.
Yep, I remember how simple it was to rebuild carbs, even 4-barrel ones. BUT, I remember having to rebuild them every 30,000 miles and getting 18 mpg on a good day. My current car is significantly faster, gets 28 to 30 mpg on the highway and the fuel injection system has never been touched in 60,000 miles. I have another car in my family with fuel injection that has had zero need for FI maintenance in 175,000 miles. Complicated is sometimes simpler than simple. And simple is often just a synonym for primitive.

As to a minor accident causing $1500 in damage on a $25,000 car. True, these days it does. However, I remember when a minor accident like that only caused $300 in damage but the entire car cost $3000 so it's all relative.

All of the above notwithstanding, I don't see electric or electronic shifting on bikes as solving any real problems or making any improvements in the riding experience. Until the electronics can read your mind, you are still going to have to pick the gear you want.
Old 03-06-08, 07:15 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Simpler: easy and quick setup, as described in my OP.
Quieter: no rubbing ever - nothing would ever lose alignment, because the electric shifter would continually adjust itself.

ScrubJ...
Compare the weight of a pair of brifters to a pair of plain brake levers. As I stated in a previous post, you typically save 250-300 grams right there! Maybe you'd call that minimal - I don't!

Sensor could easily be piezoelectric of some kind. Very low power, and it would only have to check intermittently for a second or two right after each shift, and then only periodically after that (maybe once every 30 seconds or so). After all, it's likely to be non-changing over the short term (hours) after the shift is completed, so no need for a continuous sensor operation. Not much of a power drain there.
Old 03-06-08, 07:20 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! I didn't realise so many of you were this backwards! I've given you a whole range of examples of how this could make things simpler and easier with no or negligible increase in weight, and you still argue that it will be more complicated, and much heavier?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.